BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City Preview

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeaterdays performance was very very poor. If thats the promised land of of free flowing beautiful football we have been promised by the manager then he's spent too long on the other side of the gap. Without seeing the Everton game, yesterday was very much like the dross served up in the lower leagues.

Long ball against an ex. championship side - pure mastery of tatics, the great double bluff I suppose? Didn't work Hull were the better team. Nelson and Samba had to work a dam sight harder than Hull's CB's, despite the solid workrate of Jason Roberts

Tugay on, for the happless axe. Increased use of long ball to complement Tugay's on the floor pick-a pass mastery? - he looked like he was watching a Nadal vs. Federer.

Fat, clearly out of shape, disinterested and lazy Benni on for the best player on the pitch - thought we had an ex army fiteness coach?? Derbyshire must be chuffed.

Not anti-Ince he has 8 more games before I will draw an opinion one way or the other but the manager has to take responsibilty for that performance. Even my two year old niece would have told Paul Robinson to roll it out to the full backs and build the play at least once during the second half!!!!

we get a 1-1 draw and ince gets 8 more games, how long do you give ramos. o'neill, and wenger in their jobs after yesterday. Wakey,wakey fella. If the manager takes full responsibility for performances then martin o'neill should have shot himself at the final whistle!

Yeaterdays performance was very very poor. If thats the promised land of of free flowing beautiful football we have been promised by the manager then he's spent too long on the other side of the gap. Without seeing the Everton game, yesterday was very much like the dross served up in the lower leagues.

Long ball against an ex. championship side - pure mastery of tatics, the great double bluff I suppose? Didn't work Hull were the better team. Nelson and Samba had to work a dam sight harder than Hull's CB's, despite the solid workrate of Jason Roberts

Tugay on, for the happless axe. Increased use of long ball to complement Tugay's on the floor pick-a pass mastery? - he looked like he was watching a Nadal vs. Federer.

Fat, clearly out of shape, disinterested and lazy Benni on for the best player on the pitch - thought we had an ex army fiteness coach?? Derbyshire must be chuffed.

Not anti-Ince he has 8 more games before I will draw an opinion one way or the other but the manager has to take responsibilty for that performance. Even my two year old niece would have told Paul Robinson to roll it out to the full backs and build the play at least once during the second half!!!!

Thats just a rant for the sake of it. Yesterdays performance was on a par with most of last season. In the first half we were clearly the better team and in the second half it was fairly equal. No way were Hull better. Thats just being blinkered. We've lost Bentley and he needs replacing. We've got someone to replace him in a creative aspect but unfortunately we've not seen him yet.

We've started the season with 4 points from two games. In one of them we played very well to win at Everton. Let's not try pressing the panic button yet. People on here who have been anti-Ince since day 1 are desperate to moan and say I told you so - despite the start we've had.

Things weren't always so great last year you know!

Long ball against an ex. championship side - pure mastery of tatics, the great double bluff I suppose?

quote from Ray Mathias: ""I think when we were at Everton last Saturday I know we passed the ball a lot better than what we did today, tired minds made us run with the ball, we played long balls which is not our game and that was the situation, it was very hard for us to get our game going."

That is how I say it as well. Hull were very good at not giving us anytime at all with the ball.

The hugely fustrating this is that we are just two or three players away from having a very good squad capable of pushing for fifth place. Even more frustrating is that we probably have the financial means to achieve this, but not a big enough pull to attract players of sufficient calibre. Any of Pennant, SWP, Joaquin or Lennon would be hugely welcome right now.

We need:

- A good all-round midfielder capable of playing whatever role is required (I get a bit tired of hearing people harp on about the need for eitehr an attacking midfielder or a defensive midfielder, a quality midfielder should be able to do both).

- A right winger with some pace and a good delivery (Pennant matches both of these criteria and is proven in the Premier League)

- A new striker with a bit of pace, something we should be able to afford if we're offloading McCarthy.

I havn't had the chance to post since the game and without trawling the thread I suppose I'm in danger of repetition however, for me, yesterday was so dissapointing.

There was precious little evidence of the flowing football we were promised by the new boss in fact there seemed an alarming reliance on the long ball particularly from Robinson. In addition Pederson was back to his infuriating self and RSC had the most ineffective game I've seen him have for us (surely not another Vratty Gresko!)

I had to listen to a few crowing Hull fans on the way to work which didn't lighten my mood. One or two told Stan Collymore how "poor" we are. I suppose they are entitled to their time in the sun but on the evidence of yesterday I hope they are back to the drizzle of the Championship next season. Every throw in, goal kick and free kick took an age. They littered the game with niggling, petty fouls which, whislt not enough to warrant a booking, disrupted an already out of sorts Rovers' rhythm. If I had to watch that each week I would follow the Thenodrog's example and buy a set of clubs. Allardyce's Bolton mk2 I'm affraid.

On the plus side I thought Dunny had a good first half (surely picked up a knock?) and Roberts was ok imo.

OK, just watched Football First. We miss Bentley (even with his new slightly odd haircut). With just the things he did for Spurs today, we'd have taken Hull apart. It's not his fault that Spurs have a load of poor players. He isn't one of them.

On a brighter Rovers note. Glad to see the back of Gamst and the return of Pedersen. Maybe he'll manage to get the goals that Gamst was so incapable of.

The hugely fustrating this is that we are just two or three players away from having a very good squad capable of pushing for fifth place. Even more frustrating is that we probably have the financial means to achieve this, but not a big enough pull to attract players of sufficient calibre. Any of Pennant, SWP, Joaquin or Lennon would be hugely welcome right now.

We need:

- A good all-round midfielder capable of playing whatever role is required (I get a bit tired of hearing people harp on about the need for eitehr an attacking midfielder or a defensive midfielder, a quality midfielder should be able to do both).

- A right winger with some pace and a good delivery (Pennant matches both of these criteria and is proven in the Premier League)

- A new striker with a bit of pace, something we should be able to afford if we're offloading McCarthy.

Fully agree with everything you say tcj-jones, Ince and his team should read this even though its been mentioned before, just one reservation is over Pennant is he good enough, is he reliable, I have my doubts but then thats what Ince is paid for to get it right.

Anyone else of the opinion that if the rumours are true that Sunderland offered 9 MILLION! for Benni the doughnut we have made a horrible mistake not taking their coin? :unsure:

Comments made have been we should snap their hands at £4m, so to reach £9m is just plain fantasy and madness in equal measure, interesting to hear a few boos come from the riverside when he came on - thats not a good sign for the future especially when the crowds have dwindled again.

It was interesting to see the two thousand or so empty seats in the home area, obviously they've passed their judgement and are clearly unhappy with whats on show Home crowds will definitley be down this season .

Comments made have been we should snap their hands at £4m, so to reach £9m is just plain fantasy and madness in equal measure, interesting to hear a few boos come from the riverside when he came on - thats not a good sign for the future especially when the crowds have dwindled again.

It was interesting to see the two thousand or so empty seats in the home area, obviously they've passed their judgement and are clearly unhappy with whats on show Home crowds will definitley be down this season .

So there have never been empty seats at Ewood? Interesting.

I haven't read the rest of this thread since yesterday morning but my take on yesterdays match is as follows: -

Decent enough start with Pedersen looking good and Dunn getting kicked left right and centre every time he got the ball. Superb pass by Reid who looked pretty decent as well, he's not a right winger though and we need one! Well taken goal by a very impressive and hard working Roberts. Very off day for Roque, looked like he was either carrying a knock or completely knackered... Robinson had a very good debut in my opinion. On the football tactics side, it was godawful certainly compared to the Everton game, it was like watching a poor Bolton side! Why did we lump the ball over the top so often? We really do need a creative midfielder who can do a job now rather than wait until Villanueva is up to speed in the Premiership, especially if Dunn gets a knock as he did yesterday. Anybody saying we have one in Tugay is kidding themselves, he can't run at people the way Dunn can and is completely different. He is a better player sat in front of the back four dictating play rather than trying to charge forward. I'm not sure where that leaves Reid or even Emerton... A bad day at the office and I'll give the manager the benefit of the doubt in that I watched the Everton game and we had a lot of players away on international friendly duty this week. (Why the f@@k, at this stage in the season, is there FRIENDLY international games scheduled????)

How can they have passed their judgement with what's on show when they haven't actually seen it yet???

How can they have passed their judgement with what's on show when they haven't actually seen it yet???

God knows. Seemed like a healthy crowd and good atmosphere yesterday. Mr Magoo on a speeding motorbike could see were this particular poster is trying to take this though.

Dont agree one bit. Best ref I've seen for a long time. 1 booking, no particularly 'wrong' decisions and no loss of control in a competative match is testament to that.

The ref surprised me as he did not fall into the trap of giving the usual annoying free kicks, which made him look poor, when in fact he was a decent ref. The innocence of youth, which I'm sure the Prem people will soon knock out of him.

The ref surprised me as he did not fall into the trap of giving the usual annoying free kicks, which made him look poor, when in fact he was a decent ref. The innocence of youth, which I'm sure the Prem people will soon knock out of him.

I thought he was fairly good, the only thing I thought let him down was that he allowed Hull (and especially the keeper) to waste far too much time and imo he got sucked into making the game too stop start in the second half.

I presume he'll get wise to that sort of thing in time.

Yesterday's pathetic display showed up to everybody that we MUST have two new central midfielders and a right winger before the end of the month. When Dunny had been kicked off the park by the over physical Hull players we were totally lacking in any flair or ideas throughout the team. Reid has lost whatever he had and Mokoena never had it. The forwards were isolated and the midfield so poor that the defence resorted to missing them out completely and hoofing it up to the forwards, who were outnumbered by Hull defenders.

If the midfield situation is not sorted out quickly we are in for a long hard season and to put that lazy, disinterested barrel of lard McCarthy on in place of Roberts, who all the match was by a country mile the best player on the park, was insulting in the extreme. McCarthy needs to be off the payroll as soon as possible.

I was not at Everton so from what I have seen so far we are a poor, poor team to watch.

Get some of that money spent on players with ideas and quickly.

They've obviously seen enough last season to know that with no further improvements being made to the playing staff and the loss of a key attacking player they've obviously said enough is enough its upto to Ince and co. to now win them back with some astute signings and some quality football.

At this point may I point out that Blackburn mens saturday football league (The Blackburn combination who kick off at 2.15pm) has grown this season with an extra five teams competing in the league.

God knows. Seemed like a healthy crowd and good atmosphere yesterday. Mr Magoo on a speeding motorbike could see were this particular poster is trying to take this though.

First home game of the season, a good away win previous saturday, a new manager, Santa Cruz signs an extended contract, blue skies over Ewood for probably the first day over summer added by 5000 Hull fans in the Darwen End.

Whats the remainder out of the crowd that are Rovers fans - for me very disappointing, but I can fully understand our absent friends for not showing.

You can do, but why?

What's your point?

Point is potentially they, the people involved in these saturday afternoon teams are interested in football, are all potential Rovers supporters who choose not to watch games at Ewood on a regular basis like us, but play instead.

Its a small number but a significant number that highlights the clubs lack of appeal.

Yesterday's pathetic display showed up to everybody that we MUST have two new central midfielders and a right winger before the end of the month. When Dunny had been kicked off the park by the over physical Hull players we were totally lacking in any flair or ideas throughout the team. Reid has lost whatever he had and Mokoena never had it. The forwards were isolated and the midfield so poor that the defence resorted to missing them out completely and hoofing it up to the forwards, who were outnumbered by Hull defenders.

If the midfield situation is not sorted out quickly we are in for a long hard season and to put that lazy, disinterested barrel of lard McCarthy on in place of Roberts, who all the match was by a country mile the best player on the park, was insulting in the extreme. McCarthy needs to be off the payroll as soon as possible.

I was not at Everton so from what I have seen so far we are a poor, poor team to watch.

Get some of that money spent on players with ideas and quickly.

I agree with a lot of what you've said about yesterday's game Al but I don't think the overall situation is quite that bleak. It's hardly as if we never saw any shocking home performances under Souness and Hughes!

Imo, Robinson will prove an excellent acquisition.

Put Emerton or Simpson in at RB and I reckon our defence will be more than a match for most.

Up front Roberts in his current form and RSC will trouble most defences

We just need more creativity in central midfield and a decent replacement for Bentley as you rightly point out.

I agree with a lot of what you've said about yesterday's game Al but I don't think the overall situation is quite that bleak. It's hardly as if we never saw any shocking home performances under Souness and Hughes!

Imo, Robinson will prove an excellent acquisition.

Put Emerton or Simpson in at RB and I reckon our defence will be more than a match for most.

Up front Roberts in his current form and RSC will trouble most defences

We just need more creativity in central midfield and a decent replacement for Bentley as you rightly point out.

Agreed on the 3 points there Rev, but I can't help thinking Robinson is a dud. He appears to be absolutely USELESS on crosses and I have no confidence in him at all. His shop stopping is spot on, but when the ball is in the air I really fear the worst.

Point is potentially they, the people involved in these saturday afternoon teams are interested in football, are all potential Rovers supporters who choose not to watch games at Ewood on a regular basis like us, but play instead.

Its a small number but a significant number that highlights the clubs lack of appeal.

So attendances might potentially be down by 5 x 11 (plus subs and coaching staff) - about ninety people? That's assuming they're all Rovers fans which they probably aren't anyway.

As a side issue, no disrespect to the Blackburn Combination, but why don't they kick off at a different time?

I thought it was standard practice for that sort of football to take place on a Sunday morning?

So attendances might potentially be down by 5 x 11 (plus subs and coaching staff) - about ninety people? That's assuming they're all Rovers fans which they probably aren't anyway.

As a side issue, no disrespect to the Blackburn Combination, but why don't they kick off at a different time?

I thought it was standard practice for that sort of football to take place on a Sunday morning?

I've asked this question rev, but was rebuked about changing kick off times.

The total number of teams that will be competing in the THREE divisions of the Blackburn combination this season is THIRTY FOUR teams.

Grassroots football in Blackburn with Darwen is actually thriving and is one of the most healthiest sports in the area.

There is also a mens sunday morning league, Blackburn Sunday Football League BSFL, this too will have grown with I think three extra teams competing taking the total number to thirty two teams split into three leagues.

Archived