BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky - Not A Great Manager?

"Man City made their decision some considerable time ago," says Mark Hughes

In a statement issued through the League Managers' Association, Mark Hughes said: "I am extremely disappointed not to have been given the opportunity to see through my plans at the club."

"At the beginning of the season I sat down with the owners and it was agreed that a realistic target for the season would be sixth place in the Barclays Premier League, or in the region of 70 points. All of this was communicated to the players and we all knew where we stood. We were absolutely on target at the time of my dismissal," said Hughes.

"Only recently we had terrific victories against both Arsenal and Chelsea. I very much regret that I won't be able to enjoy the success that would undoubtedly have followed in the light of significant investment in players."

Hughes said: "I was informed after Saturday's match against Sunderland that my contract with Manchester City was being terminated with immediate effect. Notwithstanding media coverage to the contrary, I was given no forewarning as to the club's decision."

"Given the speed with which my successor's appointment was announced, it would appear that the club had made its decision some considerable time ago."

Link to those quotes from Hughes here

One of the Sunday tabloids today says that "Hughes believes he has been stabbed in the back by Garry Cook, football administrator Brian Marwood and by Brian Kidd."

The News Of The World says: "Hughes is disgusted by his treatment. He confronted Cook and Marwood before the game, accusing the pair of plotting his removal ever since their arrival at the club."

Link: "Hughes stabbed in the back by Cook, Marwood and Kidd"

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hughes will come out the big winner in all of this, as he has gained valuable experience of working in the most ridiculous environment he will ever come across, and he had maintained his reputation/dignity throughout it all.

But ultimately I feel he will be viewed as a failure and a manager who cannot succeed at the highest level and when heavily backed in the transfer market.

I don't think that myself, but I feel that is what most will think. I also think he will have to take a fair step backward before he can set his eyes on a similar job in the future. It'll be interesting to see where he does eventually end up.

"You @#/?s," Brian Kidd told his fellow Man United players when they heard of Wilf McGuinness's sacking as manager at Old Trafford. "You let him down."

Poor old Wilfred took over from Matt Busby as manager of Man United in 1970, but lasted only six months before he was sacked. All of Wilf's hair fell out during the half a season he was at Old Trafford, with the stress he had suffered in charge of United given as the reason why he went from having a full head of hair when he took over to being completely bald by the time he was sacked.

Anyway, one can imagine who Mark Hughes feels are "the @#/?s" who let him down at Eastlands. As well as Messrs Robinho and Adebayor, Hughes might well point fingers at Brian Kidd himself, together with Garry Cook and Brian Marwood.

As Julius Caesar said on the night he was assassinated on the Ides of March by a group of conspirators: "Et tu Brut." (Even you too Brutus - who he thought of as a friend.)

Hughes might well be thinking to himself "Et tu Kiddo."

In the cut-throat world of football management, who needs enemies when you have friends these days. (A decade ago Sir Alex stabbed Kidd in the back with a bitter attack on him in his autobiography. Ten years later is it perhaps a case of Kidd, the silent assassin, being one of those quietly wielding the knife on Hughes.)

Link: Man City fans focus on Marwood's role in Hughes's downfall

I think Hughes will come out the big winner in all of this, as he has gained valuable experience of working in the most ridiculous environment he will ever come across, and he had maintained his reputation/dignity throughout it all.

People will cut him some slack but ultimately his reputation has not been enhanced by his time at City. For the money spent he should be doing better than aiming at the top six. Not quite a failure but he sure is not a "winner" in this. In fact there really isn't a winner other than Mancini who is a bit lucky to be getting such a big job after being sacked at Inter.

It is quite interesting to see the difference in Hughes. At Rovers I loved how he played up our chances and raised expectations. No more talk about avoiding relegation...it was all about bigging ourselves up.

Now with City it was too much pressure. Instead of the top four which is the least a team that has spent 300million+ and counting should be aiming for he clung onto being in the top 6. With the owners they have and the money they have spent they need a manager who thinks as big as they do. 1 win in 10 Prem games before Saturday is not good enough when you see the players they have and the money they spent.

After what he did at Rovers it is strange how Sparky was not capable of being that man.

Now that Hughes has gone, he will no doubt be an attractive proposition to the next Premiership club that sakes their manager. However, Hughes isn't going to be near any of the jobs at the big boys or teams competing for the Champions League, apart from possibly Liverpool if their slide continues. Even then, I don't see him being good enough to guide a team like them to a Premiership title, which would be the aim. Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United, Aston Villa and Tottenham won't be getting rid of their managers. So he would just be back at another middle of the road Premiership club, with limited ambition.

Could Liverpool afford to sack Benitez? Hasn't he got about four years left on his contract?

I have this strange feeling that Hughes' next club will be Newcastle :huh:

Yep ... that wouldn't surprise at all. I suspect he'll have another job well before the season is over.

Citeh are idiots for sacking Hughes. Football is a team game and a team takes a while to gel. I hope it all blows up in their face. They're a detestable lot.

I have this strange feeling that Hughes' next club will be Newcastle :huh:

I have exactly the same feeling for some reason. I think he will only go to a perceived 'big' club i.e. a club that has the finances (or at least potentially has the finances) to compete at the top end of the Premier League. I think he'd fancy Newcastle, they're going to be back in the PL next season.

If not it wouldn't surprise me if he went abroad as he did this a couple of times in his playing career.

If Hughes had been able to get the rotten apples out of the barrell he'd have had a much better chance of success.

I must admit to wanting some success for Hughes at City in the knowledge that to do so might see one of the big 4 crash and burn, but now I'm afraid I'd love to see the gypsy curse continue apace.

There is no need to get rid of rotten apples when the funds available are of a scale whereby players surplus to requirements can be given away or just left to rot in the stiffs.

"You @#/?s," Brian Kidd told his fellow Man United players when they heard of Wilf McGuinness's sacking as manager at Old Trafford. "You let him down."

Poor old Wilfred took over from Matt Busby as manager of Man United in 1970, but lasted only six months before he was sacked. All of Wilf's hair fell out during the half a season he was at Old Trafford, with the stress he had suffered in charge of United given as the reason why he went from having a full head of hair when he took over to being completely bald by the time he was sacked.

Anyway, one can imagine who Mark Hughes feels are "the @#/?s" who let him down at Eastlands. As well as Messrs Robinho and Adebayor, Hughes might well point fingers at Brian Kidd himself, together with Garry Cook and Brian Marwood.

Link: Man City fans focus on Marwood's role in Hughes's downfall

No, I don't agree. Hughes was doomed no matter what. The job (and that of his assistants) was up for grabs. Kidd was an opportunist at most.

There are those who want Hughes back now. I imagine there are those who will think that is the best for Rovers but I'm not one. He had his head turned by Newcastle United and was looking for an out back then. City turned up and he was out taking his favourite striker with him (eventually). Does anybody else think he might have got a little of what he deserved following his leaving? Apart from the fact I can't see him ever coming back, it wouldn't be good to bring him back based on his propensity to leave when someone bigger comes calling and tapping up his favourite players into the bargain. To leave for a 'bigger' job is forgivable but to do what Hughes did with Santa Cruz isn't.

Remember the comments that Hughes is being lined up to replace Fergie and this job was only going to be to prove he could?

People forget, CrazyIvan. Hughes and his Blackburn Rovers were on a slow downward spiral at the time he left. Most of us could see it in the performances. It couldve been cause his heart wasnt in it anymore. But it was transferring to the players too.

Before the summer started last season, I was thinking maybe its time to part ways.

People are being sentimental here.

Well we can rule out the top four, Villa, Spurs, Sunderland, Fulham, Stoke, Burnley, Everton or Wigan as their managers are pretty much untouchable at the moment.

In England, I can only see Hughes going to one of two clubs right now: Birmingham or Newcastle.

People will cut him some slack but ultimately his reputation has not been enhanced by his time at City. For the money spent he should be doing better than aiming at the top six. Not quite a failure but he sure is not a "winner" in this. In fact there really isn't a winner other than Mancini who is a bit lucky to be getting such a big job after being sacked at Inter.

It is quite interesting to see the difference in Hughes. At Rovers I loved how he played up our chances and raised expectations. No more talk about avoiding relegation...it was all about bigging ourselves up.

Now with City it was too much pressure. Instead of the top four which is the least a team that has spent 300million+ and counting should be aiming for he clung onto being in the top 6. With the owners they have and the money they have spent they need a manager who thinks as big as they do. 1 win in 10 Prem games before Saturday is not good enough when you see the players they have and the money they spent.

After what he did at Rovers it is strange how Sparky was not capable of being that man.

Good post.

You've just got to sit back smile and remember what goes around, comes around.

Mark Bowen was happy enough to tell the world from the Man City interview room, how he and Hughes had been looking for another club for quite a while. They weren't bold enough to hand in their notice in the honourable way then look, - no, they continued to take the Ewood Park dosh while all the time looking elsewhere. They weren't prepared to deny speculation about the Newcastle job.

Well, well. How soothing to watch the developments at Eastlands.

You've just got to sit back smile and remember what goes around, comes around.

Mark Bowen was happy enough to tell the world from the Man City interview room, how he and Hughes had been looking for another club for quite a while. They weren't bold enough to hand in their notice in the honourable way then look, - no, they continued to take the Ewood Park dosh while all the time looking elsewhere. They weren't prepared to deny speculation about the Newcastle job.

Well, well. How soothing to watch the developments at Eastlands.

The above is something most people on this board seem to have forgotten. I cant believe some people actually say they'd have them back!

:rover: i'd have him back tomorrow :brfcsmilie:

You'd have Ince back tomorrow as well over Allardyce no doubt which negates your point somewhat.

Hughes has moved on and would not come back at this stage. If he did it would be an admission of him having failed at a "big" club. Newcastle would suit him...their ridiculous overambition has been curtailed by their relegation. Besides he was itching to go there when they didn't want him, got turned down by Redknapp and went for Keegan instead.

Well we can rule out the top four, Villa, Spurs, Sunderland, Fulham, Stoke, Burnley, Everton or Wigan as their managers are pretty much untouchable at the moment.

In England, I can only see Hughes going to one of two clubs right now: Birmingham or Newcastle.

He will be the monkey on many managers shoulders now. Much easier to sack someone when the likes of him are unemployed.

:rover: i'd have hughes over lardarse anyday off the week :unsure::brfcsmilie:

I suspect he was pointing out that your post lacks credibilty not soliciting that you post again.

You would take anybody over Sam, irrespective of the damage it would do to our football club, so why do you bother posting at all?

On topic: I would take Hughes and team back - we need a couple of good scouts.

Archived