BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky - Not A Great Manager?

I dont think so. Its purely because of the prospect of relegation.

If he started off well and drifted off half-way through the season, chances are he will get more time, but the other way around would be unlikely.

Don't agree at all. That's not how supporters work. If Tugay was in charge he would be given a vastly larger amount of slack than Allardyce has. It's only speculative, but if Tugay was in charge currently, and we had performed exactly as we have done under Sam (style, results, the lot), I think the whole way in which our football is talked about would be vastly different and how people thought about Rovers, just by virtue of who is in charge.

People wouldn't be happy, but there would not be the sacking mentality which is developing currently. It's just bad news for Sam that 1) he is Bolton, 2) he is old, 3) he is stereotyped as long ball (bearing that out in somee games currently thought). On the other hand Tugay is 1) Rovers 2) young 3) will be stereotyped as silky football for ages on the virtue of his playing days even if he instructs the centre halves to boot the ball into orbit for all eternity.

This is the power of branding. Sam has one of the worst hands on this front in the league while Tugay, if he ever came to Ewood, would have one of the best.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does anyone think Tugay would be a good manager? He smoked and pretended not to speak English to avoid the press. A genius on the field certainly, but management material? Not in a million years.

Anyone know how Craig Short is getting on in Hungary? He is definitely one guy who has that management aura.

That is a good call mate, a better call with his mate Henning Berg, how is Henning going in management Alexanders?

Why does anyone think Tugay would be a good manager? He smoked and pretended not to speak English to avoid the press. A genius on the field certainly, but management material? Not in a million years.

Anyone know how Craig Short is getting on in Hungary? He is definitely one guy who has that management aura.

Yes, I do. Hughes wanted him at City so he must have shown some talent for coaching at rovers under him. Hughes has assembled a core of seriously highly rated coaches and even though it didn't pan out at City they will have plenty of offers.

At the end of the day you never know but he should have been given the platform with us to see if he could become a good coach.

• 3 weeks later...

Link: Arrogant git Gary Cook insists Man City will be the biggest and best club in the world

Mr Cook doesn't seem to realise that just because they have suddenly become the richest club in the world - courtesy of a ruthless Arab family - it doesn't necessarily mean that in terms of their fanbase and trophies that they will automatically become the biggest and best club in the world.

Even if you have hundreds of millions of pounds to spend in the transfer market, you still have to gel as a team and not be a set of expensive mercenary individuals without a proper team ethic.

Robinho is a case in point. He cost £32m, but in away games tends to completely disappear. If the Arabs want to spend their fortunes on fancy-dan passengers like Robinho who are not willing to track back and work hard for the team, then City won't be the best club in the world, even if they are the richest.

At the moment City don't even always fill their 47,000 capacity stadium for matches. Against unattractive opposition there are quite often a number of empty seats at Eastlands. Man City don't have a fanbase like Barcelona or Real Madrid, and they don't have their history, tradition or glamour either.

Garry Cook has delusions of grandeur if he thinks that City are going to become a bigger club than Real Madrid and Barcelona in terms of their fanbase and trophies in the trophy cabinet. After all, City are a club without a trophy since 1976 and they have only this season got into their first cup semi-final since 1981.

City have a very long way to go before the smug arrogant Cook can start boasting he is at the best club in the world.

It's sometimes said that the eyes are the windows to the soul - and just look closely for a minute into the eyes below of Garry Cook. He looks like a snarling pitbull. Put a set of horns on his head and he'd be like Man United's mascot - a devil. He's a horrible beast.

garry-cook-001.jpg

Cook is an arrogant pig-headed brute who believes in his own publicity. I hope that before too long the Arabs give Cook his P45 and he can then crawl back under the stone from where he came from.

Agreed. He is just a vile man. Comes across as arrogant, fat headed and attention seeking. Regardless of what you make of City or their money, this guy is just a creep.

The biggest club in the world is still about history, tradition etc as much as about anything else. It takes a long time to build a real fan base so that the parents and grandparents in far flung places of the world talk about the club's former glories and so on. You can become a big name here and still be almost heard of. Not until you win several champions leagues and dominate our own league with megastar players can you even begin to be seen as a mega club internationally. It's why clubs like Utd and Real can take a few bad seasons and still keep up their profile internationally - everyone has heard of Bobby Charlton, George Best, Ronaldo etc.

The biggest club in the world is still about history, tradition etc as much as about anything else. It takes a long time to build a real fan base so that the parents and grandparents in far flung places of the world talk about the club's former glories and so on. You can become a big name here and still be almost heard of. Not until you win several champions leagues and dominate our own league with megastar players can you even begin to be seen as a mega club internationally. It's why clubs like Utd and Real can take a few bad seasons and still keep up their profile internationally - everyone has heard of Bobby Charlton, George Best, Ronaldo etc.

Thanks to the press, media and an excellent marketing and PR dept. Also responsible, unless I am mistaken, in the stupid mancs voting Eric Cantona as their all time greatest player. :wstu:

Thanks to the press, media and an excellent marketing and PR dept. Also responsible, unless I am mistaken, in the stupid mancs voting Eric Cantona as their all time greatest player. :wstu:

Don't say I agree with it Gordon, just that that's how it is. Would take City a long time to get to that stage in international terms I feel.

I find it strange that some have said that Tugay smokes so he can't be a good manager. What logic is being used in this argument?

Carlo Ancelotti smokes, is he a bad manager?

Indeed, watching Serie A in the C4 Football Italia days, it seemed like all the managers were puffing away in the dugout!

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, you are spot on. Whenever he is mentioned as a potential manager I'm often amused by the thought of him completely refusing to do pre or post match interviews. He's a bit too laidback to be a manager at this level I'm afraid. Maybe that would change if he got to work his way up somewhere, but right now, no chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hughes supported Chelsea as a lad and was well liked when he played there. He may have a few digs at Citeh although Hughes will more than likely keeps his cards close to his chest. Any outburst could damage his reputation.

With the Terry/Bridge handshake prior to kick off and Mancini under pressure, this could be a half decent game.

With the Terry/Bridge handshake prior to kick off and Mancini under pressure, this could be a half decent game.

...for soap opera fans. I bet the game itself is terrible. Chelsea will be knackered and City play with three defensive midfielders nowadays.

Archived