BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why Lampard has won as many caps as he has is a mystery to me.

The thing I can't understand is how he can go from being outstanding in the Champions League and PL to looking bog-standard in an England shirt.

He will always be picked because he's world class for Chelsea.

Capello needs to be brave and pick the squad on performances in an England shirt, or at least drop some players because of their performances for the national team.

Capello won't drop Lampard because he is fully desensitized to the enraging contradiction of the club genius-cum-international bambi. If Francesco Totti isn't an example of the international footballer paradox, I don't know what he is. In fact, I'm sure the guy is English - there must've been an error somewhere along the line. Wait... no, he has a World Cup medal to his name.

Capello is accustomed to his national side defying the odds and nature by playing like fishermen from Azerbaijan. Frank Lampard's lardy crapness probably seems a delightful talent to the new England boss compared the lethargic Italians.

Maybe Lampard should be dropped but the whole England circus is a tribal maelstrom of cannibalism, lead by the frenzied media - any player who comes in is unlikely to have the time and games to settle into the side. Take Downing, for example. As far as I know, the media have written him off as no-hoper with pace. However, he is undoubtedly better than that. If he was given concerted games and trust by all, I'm sure he'd prove a useful (if not brilliant) left winger for England.

But no-one's permitted the luxury of patience or time on the international scene - apart from the Machiavellian manager who ties himself to his throne by tickling an exceptionally long and lucrative contract out of the FA. Steve McClaren dropped Beckham, seeking a new direction - the media start gorging themselves on their own limbs in their desperation for our Christoper Columbus to rejoin.

No-one's allowed to formulate a long-term action plan for England. It's all ad-hoc, media driven, hype-infested, and instantly demanded. It's a waste of time.

That's not mentioning the embarrassing dearth of talent in England, the supposed home of football. The technique is, on average, poor, and the Premier League heaving with foreign duds like Djimi Traore's and Aaron Mokoenas revelling in the obsession with experience. English football's late developers are being snuffed out. What's that? Another 36 year old goalie from Spain arriving to sit on the bench in the Premier LEague?

Come on the Engeerrrrland.

Oh for the days of Doctor Khumalo, eh?

Best name ever.

hahahaha, well done Rover..yeah he was a good player... in 96 we won the cup,98 we were losing finalists,2000,losing semi finalists,2002,losing Quarter Finalists,2004,knocked out in the 2nd round,2006,1st Round knocked out and well it just had to be 2008,we dont even qualify... :rolleyes:

watch out for 2 players though...Kagiso Dickagcoi and Teko Modise... 2 very promising players....

Worrying that Santa looks to be heading to a full 90mins tonight..

But he is having a pretty damn fine game (just wish the commentator would stop running on about him), boy I wish we had pacey attacking midfielders.. he is brilliant at that target man strike roll... holding it up for the midfielders or flicking it on to his quick sidekick up front.

Paraguay now topping the SA group by 5 points (or well at this rate they should be by the end of the match).. that has to be a little pressure on the big boys..

Worrying that Santa looks to be heading to a full 90mins tonight..

But he is having a pretty damn fine game (just wish the commentator would stop running on about him), boy I wish we had pacey attacking midfielders.. he is brilliant at that target man strike roll... holding it up for the midfielders or flicking it on to his quick sidekick up front.

Paraguay now topping the SA group by 5 points (or well at this rate they should be by the end of the match).. that has to be a little pressure on the big boys..

Roque finished the match unharmed. He flicked on to Valdez for the second goal as Paraguay coasted to a win.

Roque looked fit and he needs the match fitness. he will be ready for Arsenal.

Just watched the Paraguay vs Venzuela game on Sky Sports 1 and Roque was absolutely superb in the game and played a key part in both goals. He was unlucky not to score a couple of times himself.

Interesting to see Paraguay top of the qualifying table by 5 points! :o ahead of Brazil and Argentina.

The game is being shown again at 1:30pm on Sky Sports 1, I highly recommend watching the first half.

Was in Bratislava for our game against Slovakia and we were robbed by the inept performance of some Ruskie referee.

According to Chris Baird the following conversation went on:

"Ref ref it hit his hand thats a pen"

"Yes I know it hit his hand"

"Why didn't you give the penalty then"

*ref runs off*

:lol:

Cracking banter on the trip though via Paris. Only the Czech Rep to beat tonight hmmm :mellow:

Bloody Russians! A very young and inexperienced Welsh side gave it their best shot but to be fair, Russia had so many more gears to use if they wanted to.

Shame about the penalty miss from Bale and that we couldn't hold out for the draw after a great equaliser.

If you don't take the opportunities at this level then you will regret it. It's been the same old story for Wales for decades and that's why until this is fixed, there will be no tournament qualification.

Wales shouldn't be too hard on themselves - it was a great defensive display, and perhaps if Bale had not thrown his arms and legs in the air for what was already a legitimate pen, then the dubious one at the other end minutes later may not have been given.

Archived