BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gordon Brown

But would your non-voting allow a minority party in?

Do you really think the BNP would win a seat by a single vote? The chances of that are slim to nil.

Most people's votes are dead votes, that's what they don't realise.

I don't like what politicians do so if I voted I'd be validating the process.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Hoon has just resigned...

Conservatives have taken control of Lancashire County Council.

It's a little bit surreal watching the coverage on Sky News / BBC News Channel.

On the one hand Labour are getting trounced as the results come in from around the country.

On the other Gordon Brown has spent all day doing Monday's reshuffle today following the Purnell resignation letter, but has managed to lose Hutton and Hoon to boot - and has had to back down on replacing Darling otherwise he'd have gone from the government as well.

It's not really been a reshuffle - it's been a desperate struggle to fill the gaps ... and most of the tired old faces are still in the cabinet by default.

As I arrived home at 8.00pm yesterday the first person I saw was Chris France (22 years old), the Labour candidate, tramping the seats with some young supporters. I knew who he was by sight, I discovered the name of the Conservative and Liberal candidates at the polling booth. I know what this young man stands for locally, I haven't a clue about the others because they didn't feel it was important enough to tell me. So it's great to know that locally the Conservatives and Liberals are concerned to understand me and communicate their solutions to my concerns.

its scary.....i remember him starting school.i feel old.

I've voted at every opportunity since i was 18 as well and proud of that fact.

So have I, but I'm also proud of the fact that I don't have to vote if I choose not to.

Hoon going is good news for transport; pro-rail Adonis would make an excellent replacement.

Caroline Flint has quit.

Dropping like flies...

In the middle of Brown's press conference!! When he was asked about it he said that the reshuffle was ordered and calm!! And then that Kinnock's wife is getting Flint's old job by being shoved into the House of Lords with immediate effect!!

It's total chaos.

(edit) - Paul Murphy has also resigned.

I know and your right. Which is a shame on all concerned. I'm glad you agree progress has been made. In truth it matters little if it was a Labour or Conservative administration so long as our children and all who need this care receive it. We just have to keep fighting the system.

Oh, how I agree, Paul! So much could be done for the good of everyone. I have only realatively recently become personally aware of how difficult it is for Carers, for example. There is so much to be gained from all parties working together, I strongly believe this to be the case.

I see you're still wheedling this tired old line out.

If I don't like the way someone is driving the bus, do I have to drive it myself or am I allowed to complain? I can't agree with it at all, sorry.

And in this country we're not obligated to vote. A no vote is a vote in itself in my book.

I think a none vote is a wasted vote whereas a spoiled ballot paper is counted as a vote. :blink:

Nonsense. No one should be compelled to vote. I voted yesterday but I respect the right of others who choose not to do so. It's called freedom and democracy.

Meanwhile the BNP have scored their first victory...... in Padiham.

Who did you vote for Jimski?

Probably the most stupid post I have read on here.

Perhaps BMW drivers and people with 5 toilets should be disenfranchised too.

Care to explain further? Or will you just duck out of answering as usual?

Paul, having worked in a department dealing with benefits for those with special needs and disabilities, I am aware that things have changed a great deal, indeed at one time youngsters like Tom would have been shut away in some dreadful 'home' or other. This was the case for many years and my own mother was locked away for the last years of her life because of suffering a nervous breakdown. In the 80s the thinking gradually began to change and people were 'released' from such establishments without the necessary support and it caused much suffering. Things are gradually beginning to swing so that the most vulnerable members of our society receive help, but unless you have a 'label' - i.e. a visible condition or one that is realatively easy to diagnose, the help is still not forthcoming.

Impossible mum. That was Mrs Thatchers era and Paul continually insists that such things only improved under Labour. Either you are mistaken or Paul must bow to his parents superior wisdom.

Oops sorry Paul. My apologies I've just seen your pompous version of eating humble pie after your many attempts to mislead members. http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=770392

Do you really think the BNP would win a seat by a single vote? The chances of that are slim to nil.

Proportional representation would make individual votes more important.

New Labour in a pathetic attempt to improve their disastrous PR image have got Alan Sugar involved now! :lol:

Sugars going to blow his reputation for sure by flogging a dead horse, unless of course it's to issue the immortal line and coup de grace to Brown............ 'You're fired'!

That's one I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Alan Sugar *shudder* wouldn't trust him with my granny if I still had one :angry:

If you have seen members of a certain party and not another in your area that is because areas are 'targeted' according to the votes they are likely to yield. Parties have all sorts of stats and information available these days but they have a limited number of foot soldiers and so they target the areas in which they are most likely to have a chance of gaining votes.

New Labour in a pathetic attempt to improve their disastrous PR image have got Alan Sugar involved now! :lol:

Sugars going to blow his reputation for sure by flogging a dead horse, unless of course it's to issue the immortal line and coup de grace to Brown............ 'You're fired'!

On a serious note, it's totally unsatisfactory that - despite having 350 democratically elected MPs to choose from - Brown is dishing out invitations to the House of Lords in order to protect himself and put a team of unelected ministers and advisors in place. Mrs Kinnock being the prime example.

Paul, having worked in a department dealing with benefits for those with special needs and disabilities, I am aware that things have changed a great deal, indeed at one time youngsters like Tom would have been shut away in some dreadful 'home' or other. This was the case for many years and my own mother was locked away for the last years of her life because of suffering a nervous breakdown. In the 80s the thinking gradually began to change and people were 'released' from such establishments without the necessary support and it caused much suffering. Things ARE gradually beginning to swing so that the most vulnerable members of our society receive help, but unless you have a 'label' - i.e. a visible condition or one that is realatively easy to diagnose, the help is still not forthcoming.

Gordon can I suggest you READ and COMPREHEND the post you chose to quote from roversmum, I've highlighted the relevant lines for you. Let me explain clearly; in the 1980s (Tory administration) people were "released" from institutions into the community. There was no support, financial or otherwise, for these people. Mum goes on to agree things ARE changing for the better, this happens to be under a Labour government. I simply made the point to Roversmum the political party that made the changes is ultimately irrelevant as it is the individual who is important.I appreciate you have real difficulty in understanding others are important but do try to realise we don't all live in your world.

I happen to know roversmum, only through Rovers, I know her situation and she mine. Let me make it clear to you that your rather pathetic attempts at put down are so wide of the mark to make it beyond the ridiculous. Just for once keep quiet because this is a subject about which you know absolutely nothing.

Impossible mum. That was Mrs Thatchers era and Paul continually insists that such things only improved under Labour. Either you are mistaken or Paul must bow to his parents superior wisdom.

Oops sorry Paul. My apologies I've just seen your pompous version of eating humble pie after your many attempts to mislead members. http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=770392

As I said before read and comprehend. Do you twist everything in your life to suit your own agenda?

They've won by just 3 before now. In local elections particularly there are very few votes cast so yours could be one of the few needed to change the result. And, even if you can't stop someone being elected, to vote for another party says very clearly that you don't want a particular one. Parties analyse results and look at the shift in voting patterns etc. If you don't vote they just assume you can't be bothered not that you didn't vote because you don't like any of them. Not voting suggests to them apathy - voting against whoever at least shows a will for change, even if the person you vote for is not much better than the one you don't want. No vote is a dead vote if it says "I don't like or I approve of "what someone is doing.

Interestingly enough, my eldest daughter moved to this area from Swindon about four years ago. The care and help she received in Swindon with her daughters who have various problems was way in advance of anything that is available in the Chorley/Lancashire area. It's a similar thing to the postcode issue with medication and to my mind this type of thing is completely unacceptable. Services need to be raised to the highest standards for all, not dragged down to the lowest.

If you don't like the candidate that your party of preference has chosen, it's easy enough to get involved and then you have a say in which candidate is chosen for the party. It doesn't take up a great deal of time. At the very least you can get to know him or her and discuss your issues. Indeed, most candidates are only too willing to pop round for a chat if that is all you can manage.

There are many countries in the world whose citizens would love to have the kind of political system we are fortunate enough to have. Sitting around moaning doesn't achieve anything!

"Sitting around moaning doesn't achieve anything!"

Well said, mum.

I'm one of those that wouldn't vote for a right wing party.

However, there is no reason that health services in a place like England should vary from one end to the other. I can partly accept it here due to the vast distances, but there's no excuse in England.

These are just observations:

And a second reality is that proportionately per MP in Parliament, the Tories have been BY FAR THE WORST OFFENDERS. Just go to the Telegraph web site and look at the offenders list then remember there are nearly 50% more Labour MPs than Tories.

Obviously just an observation because the FACT is that the average Labour MP spends more in expenses by about 7k per year than the average Tory MP.

Once more, made up statistics by Gunner.

Archived