BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't agree about Emerton, his challenge was a yellow no more. could have argued to have both Nelsen and Emerton booked though, can you do that for challenges on the one player at the same time?!

Andrews tackle was a shocker, not compeltely depraved though. A sending off was possible but would have been a bit harsh. Seemed to be more a product of lack of timing than any malice, as was the Nelsen/Emertion combo.

That's right joey. To be honest, Emerton's tackle wouldn't even have won a yellow if Nelsen hadn't come in at the same time. Certainly there was no question of a sending-off.

I thought Andrews was lucky and unlucky at the same time. He slipped and it sent his foot higher than it would have been. He was lucky in that everyone saw it including the ref and just gave him a yellow.

Emo got booked for persistent fouling (ref says 3 to him) so I can see why he got the yellow, it wasn't a bad challenge and only just a foul (from behind ish).

He didn't want a 0-0 but that was first priority. It gives confidence to the defence and so it was vital to keep it as tight as possible against a Fulham team that were brimming with confidence after a good start to the season. He obviously wanted the win because he threw on a number of more attack minded players later in the game by which point the defence had shown they were playing like a unit rather than as individuals, Warnock had got over what was preventing him from acting like the tough tackling full back we know he can be, and the Fulham defence and midfield were tired and a bit battered. Good tactics I feel. But yes you do have to say that keeping a clean sheet would have been priority for most of us after the goals we've shipped recently, and if that meant settling for a 0-0 I think I would have done. Give our strikers chances and they will score eventually. That's presumably not the aspect of our play that was worrying our management team.

you would have settled for 0-0? I know how we had defended earlier but FULHAM ARE A TEAM THAT WE NEED TO BEAT AT HOME!!!!!!

IM SO GLAD you told me i'd never of known.My point was "before " the game you look to win games v fulham,hull,stoke etc.

My point is we did win against Fulham and we kept a clean sheet. I understand your point that we should be looking to win these games, I remember a few seasons where we couldn't beat the bottom teams home or away so I know what you mean. I also understand that, after shipping 8 goals in two games, you look to keep a clean sheet first. Keep a clean sheet and win one - nil is fair enough in my book.

I would have settled for a 0-0 as well. It wouldn't mean I was happy with it, but I could definitely take the positives from it.

I checked the result at FT after not knowing what had gone on in the second half and I was positive we were going to end up losing 1-0.

I was delighted.

Also, please remind me what the result was last season at Ewood, when we had the great Bentley, Friedel and Hughes and Fulham were practically relegated?

you would have settled for 0-0? I know how we had defended earlier but FULHAM ARE A TEAM THAT WE NEED TO BEAT AT HOME!!!!!!

No I don't mean I wanted a 0-0 but if the only way to keep a clean sheet was not to score at the other end then yes, I'd have taken it. I think we have the resources to score goals but our strikers need to know that if they get forward the midfield and defence are keeping the back door shut. For the confidence not just of the defence but also of the whole team I think no goals against us was the main thing. Of course we should be beating Fulham; of course I wanted us to; of course Ince wanted to - that's why he kept it tight as possible for as long as possible and then went more attacking when he thought the defence had settled and we could get something more out of the game. He was proved right too. You could see the delight on the players faces at the end because they'd done the jobs they'd been asked to do and it had all come right for them. Ideally I'd love to trounce teams like Fulham at least 3-0 every time but on this occasion it wasn't a likely outcome given what had happened the 2 previous league games.

I would have settled for a 0-0 as well. It wouldn't mean I was happy with it, but I could definitely take the positives from it.

I checked the result at FT after not knowing what had gone on in the second half and I was positive we were going to end up losing 1-0.

I was delighted.

Also, please remind me what the result was last season at Ewood, when we had the great Bentley, Friedel and Hughes and Fulham were practically relegated?

you "checked " the result at full time....so we now know we can rely on your summary and view of the game by "checking" sky sports news.

I just "checked" sky news and saw david blaine hanging upside down ,so im going to go to the blaine forum and patronise his fans by telling what he did last year.

I was at the Opticians all afternoon. I couldn't use my phone. When I left the opticians surgery I checked the scores.

You don't half talk some *****

To summarise Ince did better than Hughes did, even after losing 2 of the teams best players.

Discuss

check the guidlines rules 1 and 4 DONT swear at me again, im offended!

ince did better than hughes against fulham proves what exactly? we drew at home to arsenal last year and we got mauled last week .how far in history is relevent to this seasons results?..and you say i talk rubbish

check the guidlines rules 1 and 4 DONT swear at me again, im offended!

ince did better than hughes against fulham proves what exactly? we drew at home to arsenal last year and we got mauled last week .how far in history is relevent to this seasons results?..and you say i talk rubbish

Timely reminder if ever there was one .............

Burnley beat a 'strong' Fulham side 1-0! :o

I always find it amusing when people start arguing the old 'we beat them two weeks ago and you lost to them yesterday therefore we're better than you...' and things along those lines. This idea that Burnley beat Fulham 1 - 0 so they're as good as us or it makes our result less positive is just pure drivel. By that logic Stoke are better than United in that United lost to Liverpool and the following week Stoke drew there. It is the silliest thing anyone can say and smacks of 'my dad's better than your dad because my dad has a BMW...'

You aren't as repeatative as him. If you're feeling left out I'll quote you next time.

What I think Abbey is getting at Mr C is that in no way should we be going out to attain a nil nil draw despite what has gone on previous, and especially at home and against teams we really should be beating.

In terms of our friends down the road - you can be sure they didn't go out to get a nil nil draw last night.

As I posted, the way I understood Ince is that he appeared to be more interested in the

nil nil than a victory until the last 10 mins -which IMO is totally unacceptable for the very reasons Abbey is going on about.

I want Ince to do well and have been very pro for him, but adopting a strategy as this will not endear him to the fans.

Early days but Fulham have one of the tightest defences in the League and managed to keep a clean sheet against Arsenal. I was very encouraged that when we had Tugay and Villanuevo on, we seemed to be capable of opening them up at will.

Fortunately for us and the Dingles, Fulham are thoroughly useless at the other end of the park.

Not sure just how 'strong' they were - on the radio last night they said that Fulham had made 8 (I think) changes from Saturday's game and that they looked very disjointed as though the players had never met each other before. But obviously don't let things like that distract you from looking for any opportunity for a pop at Ince!!

Also, I seem to remember after the Arsenal game that people on here very bemoaning the fact that we'd lost the quality that Hughes had instilled in us - that of being hard to beat. Isn't that the same as accepting a 0-0? Or, to put it another way, if we don't manage to win, at least we're not getting beat.

I suspect that actually some people on here are just miffed because we won as they'd rather we lost so that they can stick the boot into Ince - when that doesn't work out what better to do than take some innocuous post-match comment and blow it out of all proportion?

FFS We won - enjoy it!!

Archived