BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

This somes-up my feelings and fears regarding Carlos. He is quickly going to be identified by other sides as a class player, and while it is perfectly acceptable in the EPL for the "big teams" to have class players, "little teams" like Rovers are not supposed to have them. Therefore he is going to get put on the "kicking list" of the big teams, and could well end-up with a broken leg before long. He is going to get little protection from the referees playing for Rovers as we all know.

OK that is very cynical, but it is how I feel, and I really believe that there is more than just a grain truth in my gloomy prediction. I really do hope and pray that I am wrong.

He'll need protection from his teammates but I'm sure they will give out as many kickings. Just ask Jimmy bullard

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you for real??

starting with two left wingers, finishing with only Derbyshire on the left wing isn't great, is it?

The consensus is that he did a Gamst. That is, he didn't nothing terrible but nothing brilliant. Average.

It was his debut, though, so I hope to see Ince persevere with him.

He wasn't as good as average Rover6.

Andrews, did very well. He aint a Fabregas, but he looks to be working hard for the team. In fact Andrews, has been performing better than Reid,benni and Gamst, so that about says it all.

You Sir, have been drinking far too many Castle Lagers if you believe that comment. if it aint, you have sunstroke :P

1864, please tell me what has Reid, Benni, and Gamst done, for them to stil be in this team? Is it because he comes from MK Dons? He Andrews, wil not set the league alight, but he put himself about yesterday. Played some neat touches, with roque, got back to defend, and created space for himself. He could have gotten 3 goals, 1 against Arsenal and 2 yesterday. Reid and Gamst does nothing, and hasnt done much for quite some time now, but certain fans continue to lick their arses, as if they deserve to be in the team. Andrews is one of us now, so support the guy. Il continue to support Reid and Gamst, but do they deserve to be in the team, at the moment based on performances?

Iceman, that is my opinion on the lad and anothe thing I never said that he had done any better or worse than the likes of Benni, Roberts or MGP.

For me, as I have explained, Andrews has brought nothing to this current Rovers side. Yesterday, he did NOT have a good game contrary to some views.

He hasnt scored, he hasnt really got the tackling bit right, he hasnt got a range of passing skills and he hasnt got the nouse to make it as a Premiership player, because if he had, he would never have been to the likes of Hull and Wolves and failed.

If you look at what he has achieved so far in a rovers shirt it will add up to very little.

Now then, in comparison, I agree that MGP has done little else. Everton aside he hasnt really contributed but yesterday he was stuck on the right wing when he so clearly does not have a right foot.

Roberts at least puts some effort in although yet again I accept that in the last 2 games he hasnt produced much.

McCarthy is someone who doesnt want to be at Ewood and whom we should have shoved out the door when Sunderland came sniffing. That refusal to sell him will haunt Rovers in the future.

I will support any Rovers player who puts effort in, but in Andrews case, it appears to be a case of he is seriously out of his depth. Time will tell but befreo I finish on this topic, compare his efforts to Emerton, then look at the impact of Tugay, Carlos and Sir Matty and compare their cameos to 90 minutes of Andrews.

Overall, there was no positivity in his play and no end result. And, being a box to box midfielder thats poor especially against a club like Fulham who we should hammer hands down every time.

I would like to take this discussion up with you after our next home game versus manure. Lets see how he does in that game !

Andrews is getting attention because...I don't know...he's a new signing? We all know Pedersen has been underperforming for awhile now, and Roberts is a tireless worker with an average end product, but Ince has brought Andrews in to prove the guy is a Premiership midfielder. So it's only natural people will be highlighting his performances.

Well deserved result.

Can't agree with the people who said we beat a good side though, because I thought Fulham were very, very poor. Maybe they've done well in previous games, but that has no bearing on their performance yesterday.

Plus points:-

Robinson's two brilliant stops, but apart from that Fulham gave him nothing to do.

Simpson had a better game than of late.

Derbyshire caused them a lot of problems when he came on.

Carlos showed a couple of nice touches.

Negatives:-

Poor team selection and substitutions from Ince. We started with two left wingers and finished with none. How Treacy stayed on so long I'll never know.

Andrews. Again, his all round game is embarrassingly poor.

I'm not someone who thinks we played well if we won, or played poorly if we lost, so I still think we have big problems. There are a lot of better sides than Fulham around. Or should I say, there aren't many sides who will play as poorly as them.

I disagree with most of that den, particularly the bits I've highlighted - again with respect it seems to me you're trying desperately hard to avoid having to say anything positive about the manager.

Fulham were very very poor here last season as well, but undeseredly escaped with a late 1-1 draw so in that respect it's two points gained on last season.

How you can say the substitutions were poor is completely beyond me. The substitutions were bold and all three changed the game for the better. As for the team selection, it's o.k. with the benefit of hindsight after the game saying something didn't work, but at least Ince saw that and had the balls to change things round. Hughes would probably have left it far too late, until seven or eight minutes to go. As for the initial selection, it seemed he was trying to shake things up a bit after last week and

MGP on the right was an interesting idea which simply didn't come off. Treacy has shown enough in previous games to merit a chance, and Reid can have no complaints about being dropped after his performance against Arsenal.

Andrews - there were some morons behind me screaming abuse at him and baying for him to be taken off barely ten minutes into the game. I think a lot of people have made their minds up in advance that he's crap no matter what but I actually thought he had a half decent game. Very neat and tidy for the most part and some crisp passing. Certainly no worse than the likes of Mokoena and Vogel, but with the added advantage of being able to get into the opposition box.

As for the rest agree with the majority view. Robinson had a great game and with a couple more clean sheets and a bit more confidence I think he'll be an inspired signing.

After two four goal defeats a clean sheet was the be all and end all and the defence generally were much improved although Nelsen still worries me. Samba was excellent and I think Simpson has looked a good addition ever since he came in.

Roberts and MGP were very disappointing, having burst in and cemented a place in the starting line up, the former seems to have lost his early season pizazz and although he was on the wrong side MGP seems welland truly ensconced in the comfort zone.

For me the turning point yesterday was the inroduction of Villenueva, it was difficult to put a finger on but there was just this sense there was something going to happen when he came on. His skill and unpredictability level are such that the oppositon don't seem to know how to deal with him.

Derbyshire looked very lively and dangerous when he came on on the left. He always looks like a fish out of water on the right flank but looked a different proposition cutting in from the other flank. Have we finally found his niche in the side I wonder?

So a solid, but not worldbeating performance and three points. Three more points against Newcastle and it looks a good start again. Two results one way or the other can make all the difference to the table at this stage of the season.

They did. What I was referring to really, was that he left our worst player on the field. Worked out OK on the day though.

No he didn't, he rightly identified MGP in that respect and hauled him off first.

Andrews - there were some morons behind me screaming abuse at him and baying for him to be taken off barely ten minutes into the game. I think a lot of people have made their minds up in advance that he's crap no matter what but I actually thought he had a half decent game. Very neat and tidy for the most part and some crisp passing. Certainly no worse than the likes of Mokoena and Vogel, but with the added advantage of being able to get into the opposition box.

I actually think Andrews has looked ok so far. Not sure if it is because I am fearing the worst though....

They are a different types of player, but I don't know how you can compare Andrews and Vogel. Last season, considering he had little training or football for months, I thought Vogel did well, and helped us win games like Pompey away (and was man of the match in that particular game).

He has been injured pre-season, so not sure if Ince rates him, but when fit again, I would be tempted to go for a combination of Vogel (for passing & distribution) and Emerton (for energy and running). This selection is bearing in mind Grella & Dunn are injured.

Paul, did Simpson do anything to win you over.

TBH I didn't notice Simpson so I guess he must have been better. I'm not trying to be clever, I often feel if you haven't noticed a player he's done his job, neither spectacularly bad nor outstandingly good, if you get my drift. As an example MGP was very poor and noticeable for the way he kept coming in field, clearly being played out of position didn't suit him. Equally Emerton was very noticeable and had one of his best midfield games for Rovers in a long time.

I disagree with most of that den, particularly the bits I've highlighted - again with respect it seems to me you're trying desperately hard to avoid having to say anything positive about the manager.

Fulham were very very poor here last season as well, but undeseredly escaped with a late 1-1 draw so in that respect it's two points gained on last season.

How you can say the substitutions were poor is completely beyond me. The substitutions were bold and all three changed the game for the better. As for the team selection, it's o.k. with the benefit of hindsight after the game saying something didn't work, but at least Ince saw that and had the balls to change things round. Hughes would probably have left it far too late, until seven or eight minutes to go. As for the initial selection, it seemed he was trying to shake things up a bit after last week and

MGP on the right was an interesting idea which simply didn't come off. Treacy has shown enough in previous games to merit a chance, and Reid can have no complaints about being dropped after his performance against Arsenal.

As for the rest agree with the majority view. Robinson had a great game and with a couple more clean sheets and a bit more confidence I think he'll be an inspired signing.

After two four goal defeats a clean sheet was the be all and end all and the defence generally were much improved although Nelsen still worries me. Samba was excellent and I think Simpson has looked a good addition ever since he came in.

Roberts and MGP were very disappointing, having burst in and cemented a place in the starting line up, the former seems to have lost his early season pizazz and although he was on the wrong side MGP seems welland truly ensconced in the comfort zone.

For me the turning point yesterday was the inroduction of Villenueva, it was difficult to put a finger on but there was just this sense there was something going to happen when he came on. His skill and unpredictability level are such that the oppositon don't seem to know how to deal with him.

Derbyshire looked very lively and dangerous when he came on on the left. He always looks like a fish out of water on the right flank but looked a different proposition cutting in from the other flank. Have we finally found his niche in the side I wonder?

So a solid, but not worldbeating performance and three points. Three more points against Newcastle and it looks a good start again. Two results one way or the other can make all the difference to the table at this stage of the season.

No he didn't, he rightly identified MGP in that respect and hauled him off first.

OK Rev. I'll answer the points in bold.

I'm telling it as I saw it Rev, there's no point having a go every time someone doesn't go overboard about Ince and our club. The game wouldn't have looked out of place if it had been a championship game. In which way did you think Fulham looked a good side? They didn't have one single performance to shout about.

MGP playing on the right wasn't interesting, it was downright stupid - and that wasn't with hindsight either. It had no chance of working.

What exactly does Andrews offer? Being able to run up and down the park isn't enough in this league. He's one paced, doesn't dictate the midfield in any way, can't defend and is as anonymous as they come. He fills a gap.

Derbyshire as a left winger. You having a larf Rev? Yes, he did well yesterday when he came on, but do you really think he could hold that position down? Right footed players don't normally make good left wingers you know.

MGP was worse than normal, because Ince played him on the right wing. As a left winger, where Ince should have played him, he's still a better bet than Treacy.

What on earth did Treacy contribute yesterday?

I agree that Pedersen on the right was a baffling decision. Every time he picked up the ball (which wasn't that often) it was obvious he was going to cut inside onto his left foot and into a crowd of Fulham players and ultimately lose possession of the football.

Thought Treacy had an half decent game would have liked to have seen him take on Pantstil a little more because the times he did have a run at him he looked shakey. No worse than Gamst at all.

Emerton again was outstanding, I'm starting to think centre midfield could be his best postion. As we know he'll run all day for you and is one of the few Rovers players capable of dribbling the ball past players. If that Thierry Henry-esque run and strike had have gone in it would have been undoubtley our goal of the season.

Andrews alongside him had a better game then he did against Arsenal but I'm by no means convinced by him. He seems very clumsly in the tackle although on the bright-side he did make some good runs forward and on another day may have had a goal.

The defence looked a little more solid. Saying that Fulham still had a few golden opportunties, Zamora should have done better with a free header he had. If it wasn't for Robbo pulling off two quality saves we'd have probably been saving we defended badly again. Nelsen to me still looks a yard or so off the pace and struggles to keep with pacey strikers howeve rhe did make a few crucial blocks. The other three however looked comfortable I was particular impressed by Samba's improved performance and Warnock also seemed somewhat back to his old self after a shocking game against L'Arse.

Fairplay to Ince for bringing the subs on to change the game. I Personally thought Derbs should have been on even sooner. But there's no doubt about it that the subs changed the game. Carlos is indeed incredibly small but he showed more creavitity in his brief time on the pitch than the rest of the team in the whole match. Didn't really appreciate the quality of the goal until I watched it back on TV, perfectly lofted ball from Carlos knocked down by Roque and finished by Matty. Just that piece of magic we needed to unlock a resillient Fulham defence.

Three points and a clean sheet despite being nowhere near our best, that will do very nicely. Bring on the barcodes.

I can see the usual clowns are spouting off, I laughed my arse off when Andrews nearly scored and some meat-headed pikey in front of me claimed that "was a sitter". Exactly how I imagine the likes of JAL, Den and the rest.

I tried to forget about Andrews' past yesterday. Imagine he is a foreigner, and take off the "He's league two so he's bound to be @#/? like" blinkers off and watch it objectively. He passed well, he got forward well, he nearly scored, and he has a very, very good percentage of completed passes. Something I noticed was how he was always making himself available and he seemed to have an age on the ball because he made time for himself.

Anyway, now I've pointed out that bias, while inevitable, shows a poor reflection of the performances, I'll try and give a nice, objective view without wildly labelling players as "@#/?" and the like. :)

Robinson - His saves were both top class, particularly the first one, practically point blank. Did what he had to do and is clearly putting in 110%. His obvious delight when we scored and then at full time, when he gave the biggest "f**king get in there!" I've ever seen him shout. Showed his appreciation to the fans and threw his gloves in. A great game for him to build confidence, and I can see him becoming a fans favourite.

Simpson - Similar to Warnock in some respects, is quick, relatively skilful and gives out crunching tackles. He didn't have much to do, but he did well when asked.

Samba - Dealt with the threat of Zamora pretty well, although he still has a habit of letting people slip past.

Nelsen - See above. Both dealt with Fulham pretty decently, obviously the defensive focus in training worked.

Warnock - Started very poor but after getting riled up, he was back to his usual self and played like a trip to the gallows was moments away.

Pedersen - Out on the right, isolated and a bit lost, didn't really have a chance to do much.

Andrews - Covered at the top.

Emerton - Mr Versatile. Ran all day, was unlucky not to score and put in some good challenges. Linked up well with Andrews and they took it in turns to attack. Andrews is more of a passer and playmaker, whereas Emerton tends to go on his trademark mazy runs and slot someone in or smash one at goal. Both are competent and I feel comfortable when either is on the ball. Very good displays from both.

Treacy - Wasn't as effective as in previous games, but did okay. Adequate. He needs to take him man on more often, like we saw him do earlier in the season. Early days.

Roque - Quiet, although he was obviously working hard for the team, and it was good to see him get the assist. Needs a goal to get him back on track.

Roberts - Huffed and puffed but didn't really create or take any chances, the gap between Roberts, Cruz and the centre midfielders was hard to gap and Fulham were defending well.

Tugay - The man. The legend. Obvious class on the ball and helped to set up the goal. His usual maestro self. Linked up the midfield and attacking force, and Andrews worked well with him, covering at the back and surging forward when Toogs was too far back.

Derbyshire - Used on the left wing to great effect, his pace, skill and control is underrated. He is a fantastic impact player and I knew the second Roque headed it across goal, there would only be one person on the end of it.

Villanueva - Was terrific again. Similar to Dickov in the way that he chases down anything, and his skill and technique is sublime. The pass for the goal was pinpoint, and he nearly scored an absolute belter at the end.

The starting line up was strange, but the substitutions were brilliant and every single one of them changed the game and won us the points. How anyone can say they were poor choices is beyond me.

Just what we needed. A good, defensive, solid victory. Yesterday was all about sorting out the defence and keeping a clean sheet. The attack being less gung-ho was to be expected. As Nelsen says, we are trying to find a medium between attacking and defending.

A very positive 3 points.

MGP on the right was an interesting idea which simply didn't come off.

MGP on the right INTERESTING ? It was a total inadequate waste of time.

Re Andrews Rev, be careful those morons as you describe are die in the wool real Blackburn supporters who have seen this club at the bottom of div 3 and have the right to voice their opinions, and yes I agreed with them, he should not have been on the pitch. Being able to run box to box might sound pretty, but as we all know its productivity that counts. Andrews produced a big fat NOTHING for 90 minutes. If you view his performance being neat and tidy then thats your view, maybe you can wear my glasses at the next game because I saw it very different, maybe its the post or the lad with the "hairdo" that blinded my view. In comparing him to Vogel, who is a class midfielder you show your lack of knowledge. Vogel is quality in his position and can supply the killer pass whereas St Andrew simply doesnt have this skill in his make up. Perhaps the alternative for the time being would be playing The Axe directly in front of the back 4 with either Vogel or Reid as the other central midfielder. Eitherway it gives Rovers an option that Andrews doesnt. Finally, once you get in to the opposition box what is he supposed to do ? He has got there a few times and the only thing I have seen is him on his backside flailing legs at the ball. He hasnt even managed to get a shot on target yet.

Tugay was the turning point NOT Carlos. Tugay probed FORWARD with the ball because that was his job as a central midfielder - TAKING THE BALL FORWARD and LINKING THE FORWARDS. Carlos, once he came on was the unknown quantity. Glad to see his sparkle got the team going together. There is no doubt the lad has talent. The tester as Den out it, comes next week at NUFC away.

Your point about Sir Matty of Ewood being our problem solved for the left has left me laughing. Dont be so silly, the lad is a centre forward, a goal scorer. He has made it clear thats where he wants to play. He is a finisher who needs to be in the box not on the flanks, be it right or left.

Solid 3 points ? Again, I disagree. It was BETTER but please, we could and should have been buried had Fulham not squandered the 4 good chances we put on a plate for them through defensive lapses. It was only our England Number 1 that kept them out.

Dont get me wrong, I was pleased as punch we won but the 3 points gained will and wont paper over the glaring cracks that have appeared in our team.

We have gone from a team that plays exciting solid football to being a wreck of an outfit waiting for a goal to blow us away. We dont frighten teams anymore like we did, its such a sad scenario because even after Hughes left, our team wasnt broken, it just needed a little tlc and a couple of additions to replace Bentley.

Something has happened at the club and its difficult to fathom out what it is exactly.

I have no real issues with Ince, I dont have full confidence in him yet and his back room staff dont exactly get me thinking that they can replace Eddie and co, hoever, it is plain to see that Ince thinks he can experiment at will when he cant. the time to experiment this season is in the games such as Wednesday when it doesnt really matter for this year. We need Premier League football otherwise there is just the downward spiral waiting for us should we drop.

We have gone from a team that plays exciting solid football to being a wreck of an outfit waiting for a goal to blow us away. We dont frighten teams anymore like we did, its such a sad scenario because even after Hughes left, our team wasnt broken, it just needed a little tlc and a couple of additions to replace Bentley.

Something has happened at the club and its difficult to fathom out what it is exactly.

When did you see this "exciting football" you speak of? can you name a dozen games in the last 2 years where we played "exciting football"?

We lost 4-1 away to a relegated team, last game of the season- where we looked a team lost and devoid of ideas.

I think most of what you said is a result of Hughes and I think he was a very shrewd operator because he knew what would be required this year- an overhaul, so he left.

Our team has within it SIX players who handed in transfer requests under Hughes, is this a sign of a happy camp? No, but we were winning and because we were no one questioned the dire football being played or some of the awful results Larissa and Coventry spring to mind.

I fully expect there to be lots of highs and lows this season- much like Keane and Southgate in their first seasons in the PL but I expect we will be around the top 10 this year, an excellent base to build on for the following season.

When did you see this "exciting football" you speak of? can you name a dozen games in the last 2 years where we played "exciting football"?

We lost 4-1 away to a relegated team, last game of the season- where we looked a team lost and devoid of ideas.

I think most of what you said is a result of Hughes and I think he was a very shrewd operator because he knew what would be required this year- an overhaul, so he left.

Our team has within it SIX players who handed in transfer requests under Hughes, is this a sign of a happy camp? No, but we were winning and because we were no one questioned the dire football being played or some of the awful results Larissa and Coventry spring to mind.

I fully expect there to be lots of highs and lows this season- much like Keane and Southgate in their first seasons in the PL but I expect we will be around the top 10 this year, an excellent base to build on for the following season.

Just out of curiosity, who are the six players?

Archived