BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

No, we looked like a team who had the smallest squad in the Premiership, so it is likely our players suffered as a result.

Even the best teams have some poor results within a given season. End of the day we finished 7th.

We may have finished 7th, but that maybe more to do with the fact that other teams around us were just as bad.

If we hadnt started last season well, we would have been in a relegation battle.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spurs away won 2-1

man U h draw 1-1

City home won 4-2

boro away won 2-1

wigan away won 3-0

portsmouth home won 3-0

man city home won 2-0

not to mention draws at Liverpool, close games v arsenal, Manure and Chelsea.

What I mean is that we were recognised as being a hardowrking, hard to beat good footballing team. Fitter than most without the articulate skills of the top 4 clubs. In fact we were comfortably in the next tier of teams behind the top 4, easily being able to outfootball the likes of the so called pretenders like newcastle, spurs, villa, boro, fulham etc.

We are no longer within that bracket and have fallen behind the likes of wigan, bolton and boro. Thats my point.

I don't agree with the slaughtering that Andrews is getting, and that is what is being dished out. This season he has been pretty solid, if unspectacular.

My felings on the guy are that he has been thrown in at the deep end and has done surprisingly well considering he was playing in League Two last season. That he was played immediately upon being signed shows the confidence that Ince places in the guy. I think that he needs a bit of time to be able to read the Premier League game better and will improve over time. The Premier League is a totally different ball game. In the mean time, he does a job and fills a role. It is far too early to be dismissing him out of hand and I don't think anybody would be doing that had he not come from MK Dons.

It has nothing whatseover to do woth the fact that he came from MK Dons.

It has everything to do with the fact that Rovers had better options available to sign. By that I mean players with a bit more pedigree, players with Premiership and European experience yet the club went for a not so well known failure to fill one of the most important positions in the team.

Thats the point that some of you are missing.

No, we looked like a team who had the smallest squad in the Premiership, so it is likely our players suffered as a result.

Even the best teams have some poor results within a given season. End of the day we finished 7th.

Emphasis on the word "finished", we are 5 games into the PL season and the level of abuse directed at Ince has been ridiculous. Surely the time to ultimately judge will be at the end of the season or does Ince not deserve the chance?

My points still stand and am interested to see anyone pick out 12 games from the last two years where we played "exciting" football.

The players who handed in transfers were: Ooijer, Brad, Bentley, The Axe, Roberts: there is one more but the name alludes me at this time, will post it later when I get a chance to check it!

We had a big squad of players to choose from last year, please check Villa's squad from last year to see a small squad.

I have to say that I'm closer to Den than RB, and I think Scotty's (usually spot on) report comes up short this time.

The first half was appalling, due mainly to the midfield set up. I still can't work out how Andrews can push the Axe and Tugay against a team like Fulham. At the point Tugay came on we started to pass the ball. Until then we were shocking, against poor opposition.

We need a ball player in the middle of the park; Vogel can do it, maybe Grella can; even Reid can out in a shift.

Ince can't afford to make those kind of selection mistakes again and despite the win, the afternoon left me more worried about our prospects rather than less.

What's that got to do with anything?

If you read previous posts someone commented that under Hughes we played exciting football, I was intrigued to when as I must have missed it, so wondered if anyone could name 12 games over 2 years where this happened. I would argue that against Everton we exciting football, the first half especially was a joy to watch.

Re Andrews Rev, be careful those morons as you describe are die in the wool real Blackburn supporters who have seen this club at the bottom of div 3 and have the right to voice their opinions, and yes I agreed with them, he should not have been on the pitch. Being able to run box to box might sound pretty, but as we all know its productivity that counts. Andrews produced a big fat NOTHING for 90 minutes. If you view his performance being neat and tidy then thats your view, maybe you can wear my glasses at the next game because I saw it very different, maybe its the post or the lad with the "hairdo" that blinded my view. In comparing him to Vogel, who is a class midfielder you show your lack of knowledge. Vogel is quality in his position and can supply the killer pass whereas St Andrew simply doesnt have this skill in his make up. Perhaps the alternative for the time being would be playing The Axe directly in front of the back 4 with either Vogel or Reid as the other central midfielder. Eitherway it gives Rovers an option that Andrews doesnt. Finally, once you get in to the opposition box what is he supposed to do ? He has got there a few times and the only thing I have seen is him on his backside flailing legs at the ball. He hasnt even managed to get a shot on target yet.

Where do I start with this one.

The morons aren't just morons. They are Grade A Premier League morons. Anyone who will boo a players name when being read out when he has played only 5 games has something wrong with them. Regardless of whether or not they think he is good enough he should be getting full support, especially at this early stage of the season and his Rovers career. The only time a player should ever get grief off his own fans if he is obviously not pulling his weight or committed. One thing Andrews certainly does is put the effort in. If he's not good enough then it's Ince who should take the flack, certainly not the player.

Secondly, if you think he showed a big fat nothing for 90 minutes against Fulham then that proves to me that your bias against Andrews is completely clouding your judgement of his performance. Some people thought he played well. Most (me included) thought he was OK. Some thought he was poor. You thought he did absolutely nothing. The fact your 'bumming up' Vogel and Mokoana shows how desperate you are to put Andrews down. As for managing a shot on target, look who he's competing against. Tugay doesnt have the legs to get up field and shoot, Reid (Wigan aside) is absolutely lousy at shooting and Mokoana probably hits the target once per season.

Whatever you do, don't offer to give me your glasses at the next game as they are that tinted god knows what I'll see. Ultimately I think Andrews will prove to be no better than a squad player if we are lucky. He's highly unlikely to be a top class Premiership player coming from the lower leagues at 28. Against Arsenal he was poor. Next week he'll probably sink without trace at St james Park. However you have to be honest enough to assess each performance on it's own merits. Against Fulham he was OK and did a job. IMO you're too anxious to say "I told you so" to admit this

Where do I start with this one.

The morons aren't just morons. They are Grade A Premier League morons.

Thats why I don't go to Ewood anymore. I can't sit around clueless post 95 morons anymore or I'll end up on a murder charge.

I don't enjoy it now.

Pee off and support united you clowns.

Thats why I don't go to Ewood anymore. I can't sit around clueless post 95 morons anymore or I'll end up on a murder charge.

I don't enjoy it now.

Dave.... No matter what you think of them and no matter how many times you watched BRFC in the 3rd div the clowns who pay their money have just as much if not MORE right to give their opinions than somebody who has stopped going and therefore as far as the club is concerned might just as well have gone over to the other side at OT.

btw all you needed to do was change your seat to a rather more 'discerning' part of the ground. ;)

I have to say that I'm closer to Den than RB, and I think Scotty's (usually spot on) report comes up short this time.

The first half was appalling, due mainly to the midfield set up. I still can't work out how Andrews can push the Axe and Tugay against a team like Fulham. At the point Tugay came on we started to pass the ball. Until then we were shocking, against poor opposition.

We need a ball player in the middle of the park; Vogel can do it, maybe Grella can; even Reid can out in a shift.

Ince can't afford to make those kind of selection mistakes again and despite the win, the afternoon left me more worried about our prospects rather than less.

Didn't think the first half was appalling - more mundane. I agree first half we struggled in midfield - but I will give some credit to Fulham who passed the ball well - and in Bullard had the most influential midfield player. No way can you describe Fulham as shocking - and they will beat better teams than Rovers this season (oh yes they already have in Arsenal) However - their midfield seemed to flounder on our defence.

I agree Tugay made a difference - as did Matty and Carlos - he both made good contributions - maybe a little credit for Mr Ince ?

I would like to point out that all the players you have said should have been selected were either injured or not fully fit. Ince's midfield was forced on him. Lets be honest - everybody fit - it would have been Dunn and Grella in central midfield - and there is no way MGP would have been played on the right.

As for all the Andrews detractors - he showed some promising touches - but seemed at times to be behind the play which is probably after playing at a lower level for all his career - he may improve this aspect of his game (lets be honest, some foreign player could have the same issue adjusting to the EPL). If I am totally honest - if he was 20 years old - I would say he shows great promise for the future - at 28 he is going to have to improve very quickly if he is going to prove anything more than a squad player.

Also - for all the doom and gloom merchants - we won !

I don't enjoy it now.

Would that in fact help the club? I always like to get as many fans as possible into the ground even though I don't want to sit next to all of them.

Would that in fact help the club? I always like to get as many fans as possible into the ground even though I don't want to sit next to all of them.

It doesn't help the club.

I can't sit round people who don't know who speedie etc etc is though.

I do not enjoy it anymore, hence I don't go to ewood. By the way I had a season ticket since 1988 till 2004.

not read any posts ...been on th e ale hahaha .

what can i say phewwwwwwwwww its a good job he brought tugs on because it changed everything.Up until then i dont think ive ever sat thru a more boring game.Too many players out of position dont get me wrong im releeved at the points but dont think i can sit thru that all winter.I thoght we would get beat yesterday and we quite possibly could have if it hadnt been for the robster and poor heading/finishing.mgp on t'other side whats that all about?the midfield isnt up to prem standers at the moment and it needs changing from the start v toon.

I would like to point out that all the players you have said should have been selected were either injured or not fully fit. Ince's midfield was forced on him. Lets be honest - everybody fit - it would have been Dunn and Grella in central midfield - and there is no way MGP would have been played on the right.

Also - for all the doom and gloom merchants - we won !

My fear about Andrews is that he is going to get more starts than he deserves. Emerton was outstanding in central midfield and I would have preferred him to stay there; there was also an alternative to Andrews-Mokoena, who could have played a more sitting role to protect Emerton's marauding role. We Ince doubters are concerned that PI will want to stick with his man.

The subs totally changed everything:my wife said that at last players had someone they could pass to with confidence.

Every Rovers fan will be delighted we got 3 points as the win gets us further away from relegation, but a lot of us worry that the manager will just presume that all his decisions were correct.

I don't think 4-4-2 is the best formation for us, so it will be interesting to see what formations we use in future.

MGP on the right INTERESTING ? It was a total inadequate waste of time.

Re Andrews Rev, be careful those morons as you describe are die in the wool real Blackburn supporters who have seen this club at the bottom of div 3 and have the right to voice their opinions, and yes I agreed with them, he should not have been on the pitch. Being able to run box to box might sound pretty, but as we all know its productivity that counts. Andrews produced a big fat NOTHING for 90 minutes. If you view his performance being neat and tidy then thats your view, maybe you can wear my glasses at the next game because I saw it very different, maybe its the post or the lad with the "hairdo" that blinded my view. In comparing him to Vogel, who is a class midfielder you show your lack of knowledge. Vogel is quality in his position and can supply the killer pass whereas St Andrew simply doesnt have this skill in his make up. Perhaps the alternative for the time being would be playing The Axe directly in front of the back 4 with either Vogel or Reid as the other central midfielder. Eitherway it gives Rovers an option that Andrews doesnt. Finally, once you get in to the opposition box what is he supposed to do ? He has got there a few times and the only thing I have seen is him on his backside flailing legs at the ball. He hasnt even managed to get a shot on target yet.

Tugay was the turning point NOT Carlos. Tugay probed FORWARD with the ball because that was his job as a central midfielder - TAKING THE BALL FORWARD and LINKING THE FORWARDS. Carlos, once he came on was the unknown quantity. Glad to see his sparkle got the team going together. There is no doubt the lad has talent. The tester as Den out it, comes next week at NUFC away.

Your point about Sir Matty of Ewood being our problem solved for the left has left me laughing. Dont be so silly, the lad is a centre forward, a goal scorer. He has made it clear thats where he wants to play. He is a finisher who needs to be in the box not on the flanks, be it right or left.

Solid 3 points ? Again, I disagree. It was BETTER but please, we could and should have been buried had Fulham not squandered the 4 good chances we put on a plate for them through defensive lapses. It was only our England Number 1 that kept them out.

Dont get me wrong, I was pleased as punch we won but the 3 points gained will and wont paper over the glaring cracks that have appeared in our team.

We have gone from a team that plays exciting solid football to being a wreck of an outfit waiting for a goal to blow us away. We dont frighten teams anymore like we did, its such a sad scenario because even after Hughes left, our team wasnt broken, it just needed a little tlc and a couple of additions to replace Bentley.

Something has happened at the club and its difficult to fathom out what it is exactly.

I have no real issues with Ince, I dont have full confidence in him yet and his back room staff dont exactly get me thinking that they can replace Eddie and co, hoever, it is plain to see that Ince thinks he can experiment at will when he cant. the time to experiment this season is in the games such as Wednesday when it doesnt really matter for this year. We need Premier League football otherwise there is just the downward spiral waiting for us should we drop.

I agree on most points, especially the last couple of paragraphs.

MGP on the right INTERESTING ? It was a total inadequate waste of time.

Tugay was the turning point NOT Carlos. Tugay probed FORWARD with the ball because that was his job as a central midfielder - TAKING THE BALL FORWARD and LINKING THE FORWARDS. Carlos, once he came on was the unknown quantity. Glad to see his sparkle got the team going together. There is no doubt the lad has talent. The tester as Den out it, comes next week at NUFC away.

Your point about Sir Matty of Ewood being our problem solved for the left has left me laughing. Dont be so silly, the lad is a centre forward, a goal scorer. He has made it clear thats where he wants to play. He is a finisher who needs to be in the box not on the flanks, be it right or left.

Solid 3 points ? Again, I disagree. It was BETTER but please, we could and should have been buried had Fulham not squandered the 4 good chances we put on a plate for them through defensive lapses. It was only our England Number 1 that kept them out.

Dont get me wrong, I was pleased as punch we won but the 3 points gained will and wont paper over the glaring cracks that have appeared in our team.

We have gone from a team that plays exciting solid football to being a wreck of an outfit waiting for a goal to blow us away. We dont frighten teams anymore like we did, its such a sad scenario because even after Hughes left, our team wasnt broken, it just needed a little tlc and a couple of additions to replace Bentley.

Something has happened at the club and its difficult to fathom out what it is exactly.

I have no real issues with Ince, I dont have full confidence in him yet and his back room staff dont exactly get me thinking that they can replace Eddie and co, hoever, it is plain to see that Ince thinks he can experiment at will when he cant. the time to experiment this season is in the games such as Wednesday when it doesnt really matter for this year. We need Premier League football otherwise there is just the downward spiral waiting for us should we drop.

I was there during the bottom of division 3 days as well so frankly I take exception to some of your "I know more about football than you" comments here.

It also seems most people who are not prejudging Andrews on the fact that he came from MK Dons think he had a reasonable game yesterday. (As do many neutral observers in the National Press apparently)

In any event, assuming he is putting the effort in, regardless of his level of performance, giving a player dog's abuse after ten minutes is just downright idiotic whether someone has been going to Ewood since 1951, 1971 or 2007.

What has happened to you over the summer? Your posts have gone from being unbelievably over the top optimistic, (don't worry, have a beer, chill out, relax etc.) to unbelievably over the top pessimistic.

I just don't get your argument, Dave. As time goes on, new fans emerge, many without any significant knowledge of players from a bygone era. I've read up a bit on the club before my time, but I wouldn't criticise anybody for not. And, with all respect, to stop attending games because of 'moronic fans' is a poorer reflection on you than the said morons.

It seems fairly obvious to me we have real issues with the current owners and the level of support they are or were prepared to offer Hughes, Ince or any future manager come to that. Until such time as we get new owners I can't see any alternative to giving whoever is in charge of the team a proper chance bearing that in mind, and getting right behind them in the meantime. If Ince doesn't turn out to be the answer once he's had a fair crack, so be it, but he needs that fair chance.

What if Ince has said to the Board, "I believe I can start bringing the youngsters through, but it'll take 5 years."

"There'll be some pain, but I think I can keep us in the Prem in the meantime."

How many fans would have the patience to go wth that?

This somes-up my feelings and fears regarding Carlos. He is quickly going to be identified by other sides as a class player, and while it is perfectly acceptable in the EPL for the "big teams" to have class players, "little teams" like Rovers are not supposed to have them. Therefore he is going to get put on the "kicking list" of the big teams, and could well end-up with a broken leg before long. He is going to get little protection from the referees playing for Rovers as we all know.

OK that is very cynical, but it is how I feel, and I really believe that there is more than just a grain of truth in my gloomy prediction. I really do hope and pray that I am wrong.

Unfortunately you're not wrong Fife, I can see it coming too. Rovers are definitely not supposed to have players like Carlos or Shearer. Duff, Dunn, Bentley...

Funny, I was thinking t'other day that the "Little 16" (or maybe 15 now) should make a secret agreement to cripple (long term) a Big 4 player every match, regardless of red cards, suspensions etc. I reckon it would take about 10-15 games to remove the entire first team squads of the Big 4 and level the playing field a bit. Ironically it might send a message to the FA / refs that we want a fair amount of protection and decisions cos we haven't had it for a very long time.

What have we got to lose that we don't already have anyway (thugs label, top of red/yellow cards table, horrific refereeing)?

What rubbish. Duff, Dunn and Bentley got by without having their legs broken. Okocha was probably the flashiest player in the league for a while with unfashionable Bolton, no-one crocked him.

If there is to be a 'grain of truth' in what you say Fife, at least cite recent some examples of this behaviour because I can't think of a single one. Not five minutes after our 'bully boys' tag has gone and we're already throwing the same accusations at the big four before they've even done anything! I suppose it couldn't be a Rovers board without hardcore paranoia, but still...

Archived