BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

He didn't want a 0-0 but that was first priority. It gives confidence to the defence and so it was vital to keep it as tight as possible against a Fulham team that were brimming with confidence after a good start to the season. He obviously wanted the win because he threw on a number of more attack minded players later in the game by which point the defence had shown they were playing like a unit rather than as individuals, Warnock had got over what was preventing him from acting like the tough tackling full back we know he can be, and the Fulham defence and midfield were tired and a bit battered. Good tactics I feel. But yes you do have to say that keeping a clean sheet would have been priority for most of us after the goals we've shipped recently, and if that meant settling for a 0-0 I think I would have done. Give our strikers chances and they will score eventually. That's presumably not the aspect of our play that was worrying our management team.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, I am absolutely staggered by assertions that we had a 'defend at all costs policy'. That is so far off the mark, I can't quite believe my eyes.

We dominated the game on Saturday and Fulham offered next to nothing in attack. We weren't great, but we dictated the game and were always probing forward.

Not so sure about that tcj, for a team that offered next to nothing in attack, we were indebted to Robinson twice for denying Johnson when he looked likely to score.

Let's enjoy the three points for what they are but not get carried away with the performance. Before the substitutions we were lacklustre.

We're not indebted to him - it's his job and he gets paid for it. If he wasn't expected to do anything why not play with 11 outfield players. Johnson's pace will always cause problems and Zamora will always get chances too. That's why roy bought them. We weren't great but we didn't have to be. We had to be as solid as possible and build confidence again.

We're not indebted to him - it's his job and he gets paid for it. If he wasn't expected to do anything why not play with 11 outfield players. Johnson's pace will always cause problems and Zamora will always get chances too. That's why roy bought them. We weren't great but we didn't have to be. We had to be as solid as possible and build confidence again.

So would I be right in saying that you thought the two saves in question were 'routine' and not (especially in the case of the 1st one) world class?

Also going by your logic where does what is expected from him start and stop then I know when to blame him or praise him?

I didn't suggest they weren't good saves just that you buy a supposedly good goalkeeper and pay him whatever in the expectation that when the defence muck things up and allow someone to get a shot in then sometimes he'll keep it out. Yes, he did well and i enjoyed seeing Johnson (whom I loathe) thwarted and I'd like to see Robinson frustrate a few more strikers but when all is said and done it is his job. He deserves praise for doing it well on saturday and he'll deserve criticism if he gets it totally wrong in another game just as you or I deserve praise when we do whatever it is we do well, and have to be prepared to take the criticism if we muck up.

That's the thing TCJ an JBN - as I mentioned I didn't see the game but the way Ince commented upon it, he was not bothered about whether we won - just that we kept the clean sheet.

From what you say it would appear we went about it as I felt would be the best way with each unit concentrating on its own aspect- defenders defend , midfielders midfield ( :D:wacko: ) and attackers attack.

This is what appears rather confusing.

Ah, I see your point. I don't think that they were his sentiments though. I heard, although cannot recall entirely, Ince's comments and, to me, it seemed more that he was, of course, pleased with teh win, but recognized that we didn't play brilliantly, and that the best thing to come out of the game was a clean sheet and an improvement in defence.

Not so sure about that tcj, for a team that offered next to nothing in attack, we were indebted to Robinson twice for denying Johnson when he looked likely to score.

Let's enjoy the three points for what they are but not get carried away with the performance. Before the substitutions we were lacklustre.

I'll agree that we didn't play great football, but I do believe that we were in firm control for about 85% of the game and that we were always probing forward. We were indebted to Robinson, particularly on the Johnson chance, but I can't actually remember any other half decent attempts on goal that they had. Wasn't Robbo's first save off a header from a corner? A lot of teams get those kind of chances, especially against us who, despite having some of the biggest, tallest, strongest players in the league, are shockingly inadequate at defending both corners and set pieces, and have been for as long as I can remember.

Thanks for the extended highlights from the Fulham site.

I counted Zamora twice comfortably getting the better of Nelsen in one on ones from set pieces, Zamora making a total horlicks of a completely free header from the corner of the six yard box straight from the kick-off plus two wonder saves from Robinson off Johnson.

The clean sheet was very welcome but that wasn't yet a clean sheet performance at the back.

Thanks for the extended highlights from the Fulham site.

Cheers for that, didn't realise there were free highlights around. Here's a direct link if anyone wants it: mms://video.premiumtv.co.uk/fulhamfc/20080920_blackburn_fulham_hi.wmv

I see Roberts toe-poked his effort in the first half, I wrote the other week how he's started doing that this season. You don't even expect that at amateur level. Robinson's saves were excellent though.

It seems fairly obvious to me we have real issues with the current owners and the level of support they are or were prepared to offer Hughes, Ince or any future manager come to that.

Times have changed since the early 90's. I think the escalation in 'stupid money' being put into rival Prem clubs, the lack of potential highlighted by the abject failure of the cheap ST campaign and the absence of anybody willing to pay the asking price for the club has probably confirmed to the current owners that BRFC is simply a dead duck and continually funding them is a bad investment. The vast Walker wealth which set the pace in the early Prem days is now a bare minimum requirement in the modern fools paradise..... and imo 'fools' is not an accurate description of Messrs Brown and Walker.

I was there during the bottom of division 3 days as well so frankly I take exception to some of your "I know more about football than you" comments here"

Rev, as inteliigent as you may be at no time have I ever suggested knowing more than other supporters. There are plenty more supporters who have doubled my time at Ewood Park. If you look at the post and read it correctly it was more of my observations through my time as being a Rovers fan.

"What has happened to you over the summer? Your posts have gone from being unbelievably over the top optimistic, (don't worry, have a beer, chill out, relax etc.) to unbelievably over the top pessimistic."

What has happened to me ? Well my friend, I have sat through summer like everyone connected to BRFC and waited for the sale of Bentley, the ongoing saga with Brad and the other turmoils with Hughes and co leaving. Once it had all occurred I sat with baited breath for the impending appointment. Once that had been done I awaited with renewed vigour that Rovers would back the manager in replacing the missing links in our team/squad. It happened briefly with the signing of Robinson because I actually like/rate him as a goalkeeper. I then thought Rovers would progress with the midfield rebuild and even more so with the addition of a forward because we DEFINATELY had money to spend.

On those points we failed big time.

We never got anywhere near to replacing Bentley, even though we offered a good deal for J Pennant he wasnt prepared to move to Rovers and opted to remain at Liverpool where he stays on the bench if he is lucky.

We took young Simpson on loan which made me sit up and think that we were really saving the cash for a top rated midfielder.

The taking of Blobbie Fowler on loan took me back asunder, and as of yet I do not see any sense in his signing unless of course he is there in some sort of player/coach role.

My thoughts for the season got compounded when we signed Andrews as the midfield box to box player. Talk about the unknown quantity.

So now, my usual optimistic outlook is tempered somewhat. I have not seen anything positive in Rovers midfield play until Tugay entered the fray, save for the game at Everton where The Axe totally destroyed any build up the Everton midfield could muster. Granted we have lost Dunny but we should never ever have just relied on him alone to be the central midfield general we so desperately need.

My own personal opinion is that Ince could be the breath of fresh air that we need. He needs to be backed, there is no doubt about it and I will back him 100%. What I cant subscribe to is the reliance put on a player who at 28, and if he was any good, would have made it at Premiership level already and not have been discarded by clubs such as Hull and Wolves.

I regularly watch lower league football matches when not at Ewood and believe me there are players in The Championship who would flourish at Ewood. There are also plenty of journey men about who could fill the stop gap.

Should Rovers survive outside the bottom 5 until January then we will see just how Ince and The Board intend to take this club forwards.

I watched Andrews intently on Saturday and despite me accepting your view on him I wont agree. I have seen nothing that makes him stand out from the others other than he is perhaps younger than Tugay, more mobile than Reid and less a tackler than The Axe.

I didnt shout for him to be taken off after 10 minutes versus Fulham, I didnt boo when his name was read out and I clapped him when he so nearly scored, and on that score I wasnt one of the so called morons shouting abuse at him.

Rovers have real problems in the central midfield spot and by Christmas they could really expose us to danger of relegation. Look at the clubs who you suspect will be in and around BRFC come crunch time, each and everyone of them have a classy central midfielder who can pass, shoot, defend and score.

Thats something that at the moment Rovers do not have.

Thats is a point I wished to make clear. ^_^

RSC scored at Everton in the Prem didnt he? That commentator stated he hadnt scored in the prem. Great highlights though.

Zamora should have had 2 goals in my opinion and the Robinson saves were good.

Villaneuva looked ever better on them clips. So hope he plays against Everton, as i think they will put out a decent side and it be a good test for him as will the match fitness.

Do NUFC have a game mid week?

:angry2:

Dirty Challenges on Bullard by Emerton and Simpson, both deserved to be sent off...... :lol:

Ah sure, well done on the three points, we could have had 5 goals, though.

Ince won the game with his substitutions.

Still not convinced by him however.

Emerton and Andrews.

When I saw Emerton's tackle again on MOTD, it struck me that Nelsen might have actually put in a more damaging tackle than Emerton.

I am glad you have posted ffan. I don't know how much of the match you saw or how much your local media have said about it. As Fulham had just won 3 matches and were apparently doing well, I expected more of them. They could have scored and Zomora worryingly got past Nelsen 2/3 times, but they did not create as much as I expected. Any comments?

Emerton and Andrews.

When I saw Emerton's tackle again on MOTD, it struck me that Nelsen might have actually put in a more damaging tackle than Emerton.

I am glad you have posted ffan. I don't know how much of the match you saw or how much your local media have said about it. As Fulham had just won 3 matches and were apparently doing well, I expected more of them. They could have scored and Zomora worryingly got past Nelsen 2/3 times, but they did not create as much as I expected. Any comments?

Well Roy has set his team up with the mentality that a point will do away from home, he has said so himself. This has cost us against Hull and now you lot.

I personally didn't see the game myself but Bullard and Murphy are easily bullied out of a game and give the ball away alot so I'm not surprised that we didn't create many chances. I saw Johnsons chance one on one with Robinson, shocking attempt at a finish imo. Zamora has been brilliant but a 6 million pound Premiership striker will only get you around 10 goals a season so no I'm not surprised he didn't take his chances.

We are however a different team at home and seem much stronger.

Roque's brother came on for the last 10 minutes of a reserve game recently.

Villanueva played well as indeed did Tugay and Derbyshire.Apart from his role in the goal, he put in a good shot (off target), got a few free kicks and generally excited the crowd, many of whom will not have seen him before.

:angry2:

Dirty Challenges on Bullard by Emerton and Simpson, both deserved to be sent off...... :lol:

Ah sure, well done on the three points, we could have had 5 goals, though.

Ince won the game with his substitutions.

Still not convinced by him however.

Don't agree about Emerton, his challenge was a yellow no more. could have argued to have both Nelsen and Emerton booked though, can you do that for challenges on the one player at the same time?!

Andrews tackle was a shocker, not compeltely depraved though. A sending off was possible but would have been a bit harsh. Seemed to be more a product of lack of timing than any malice, as was the Nelsen/Emertion combo.

I don't like seeing our team targeting players (I don't mean we were trying to injure him just be very aggressive) which seems to be what was going on with Bullard. For such a fiesty player I was suprised how his head dropped after the two (three?) tackles. I thought he was more of a fighter, but I guess those injuries give you pause for thought.

I am a fan of agressive clsoing down, but we need to work on the timing of the challenges.

Oh and you could have had five if if you hasd scored with every chance. But then we would of had five too by the same criteria. Zamora should have put away at least one of those headers.

Archived