BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough Preview

chocky

I'd imagine a pretty regular 4-4-2 Flopsy.

Robinson

Simpson Samba Nelsen Olsson

Emerton Grella Warnock Villanueva

Derbyshire Santa Cruz

It could be a 4-3-3 I suppose, with Derbyshire and Villanueva wider of Santa Cruz, Grella sitting with Emerton and Warnock ahead of him in the centre.

Edit: Or...4-2-3-1. Grella and Warnock holding, Emerton right winger, Villanueva in the centre and Derbyshire on the left. Ince seems to have tried that a few times season, although Derbyshire never really impressed on the left.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very, very suprised that Ince has decided not to start McCarthy after all the talk this week. I'm not sure that this is a game for Derbs as I can see Wheater and Pogatetz making life extremly difficult for him.

Bold decision to leave Pedersen completley out of the side again. I do think however that Pedersen is not the type of player to spit out his dummy and maybe he will knuckle down more following his recent omission.

2-0 Rovers :brfc:

Impressed with Carlos so far, decent set piece delivery and put through some lovely passes/crosses.

He's much more useful in that behind-the-striker -role than on the wing. The problem now is on the left wing, where Pedersen hasnt been on form in 2 years and Derbyshire just isn't a winger.

In terms of the general play IMO we are playing far too much long ball stuff and hoping for a flick on from Roque. Its pretty predictable.

It is, and very boring. I wonder how long the myth that we're playing better football will prevail for?

I know it's only been 35 minutes...but what exactly does Grella do?

It is, and very boring. I wonder how long the myth that we're playing better football will prevail for?

Its puzzling as we do have players who can pass on the ground, Carlos being one of them. Mixing it about between short and long would give them something to think about.

In terms of Grella he hasn't seen much action as Boro aren't playing through the middle much.

I think we are doing ok but should be in the lead by now. Yes Boro had a perfectly good goal disallowed but overall our play has been better. And I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but Santa should have knocked it past their keeper when one on one at the end of the half. Good chance of stealing a penalty there at least with both players flying for the ball.

Frustrating to the max.

- Half the game has gone in throw ins and imaginary freekicks for Middlesbrough. Note to our players - stop clearing the ball and get on with the goddamn game.

- Boro had a 100% legitimate goal ruled out.

- We had a 100% legitimate penalty not given.

- Santa Cruz has missed 4 clear chances. Get Benni on right now.

- You'd think we would have learned something from the Arsenal game, but no. If Arsenal had even 1/10th of our chances, they'd be 5-0 up. Put it in the back of the net already.

This game looks like we're going to continue failing to score no matter how long the ball rolls over the goal line, Boro will get another imaginary freekick at the end and win it.

Well, according to the Daily Telegraph stats, and the evidence of my own eyes, he has won more tackles (5) than the rest of the team put together and made more passes than anyone apart from Nelsen.

Carlos roaming around behind Santa is resulting in virtually all of our chances.

I think Grella is one of those players who doesn't do anything special and doesn't stand out but does a very effective job. He is always winning tackles and his passing tends to begin our attacks. He is gonna be like a Makelele or Hargreaves for our team. Not saying he will be as good as them but do a similar job and neither of them two tend to stand out in matches do they.

Just read this on the BBC website and it made me smile:

"Not sure what poor old Carlos did to incite such low marks on Player Rater. I thought he was very, very good indeed. Blackburn have the Chilean on loan for the season, with an option to buy. Buy, I say."

Archived