BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough Preview

chocky

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its late, its the end of BST as we know it for a few months (was it ever BST anyway?) and it s still pouring down big time - only drought in Lancashire is one at Ewood Park ^_^ !!

Is it me or can noone else see that the way Rovers lined up for this game was almost their down fall ?

Playing 4-5-1 at home to a team seriously lacking confidence almost cost Rovers a point, indeed, the game has cost us 2 points and the 1-1 result leaves Rovers looking over their shoulders at this Sundays games.

What PI was thinking I know not what as he yet again plays Sir Matty D on the left side, and this with both Warnock and Olsson in the starting line up. When will he ever see that SMD does not enjoy nnor will be a left sided player. He is too ineffective and his left side is weak.

Rovers got lucky yesterday, snatching a point from the jaws of a crunching defeat. Its was a game that was clearly dominated by Rovers. Grella was very impressive, Carlos a little slow minded whilst Emerton again shone brightly in the rain and wind. Both Nelsen and Ooijer were comfortable whilst the two full backs were solid. RSC on his own was fighting for all his worth but yet again there was a lack of support for him due to the inept formation put on the field.

IF ROVERS HAD PLAYED 4-4-2 FROM THE OFF THEY WOULD HAVE WON HANDS DOWN !! ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

Thank God for Benni Mac lifting the gloom of a near empty Ewood as he headed the equaliser.

Not going to go into player ranking mode because for the most , it was an entertaining game. Chances not taken, some crunching tackles, bad refereeing, bad linesmen and bad tactics from both teams.

A draw seems lucky as Tuncay was ONSIDE, Allaidier missed a sitter whilst Rovers contrived to hit the post, miss two sitters and huff and puff without success.

I am not impressed with 4-5-1 at home to a team without confidence. It was a total shambolic formation that so nearly cost us the game. Play that formation on Wednesday and Villa will murder us. They have pace to burn and have skill right through the middle.

Its time to get it right Mr Ince, 4-4-2 is the way forward to points, 4-5-1 is the way down to the bottom of the league -_-

Is it me or can noone else see that the way Rovers lined up for this game was almost their down fall ?

Playing 4-5-1 at home to a team seriously lacking confidence almost cost Rovers a point, indeed, the game has cost us 2 points and the 1-1 result leaves Rovers looking over their shoulders at this Sundays games.

Its time to get it right Mr Ince, 4-4-2 is the way forward to points, 4-5-1 is the way down to the bottom of the league -_-

Yet we conceded and generally lost the plot when we switched to 4-4-2.

The offside goal was clearly onside, mrs gumboots. We did okay, but seriously by now ince should have a settled side out there. Derbs aint a winger, warnock aint a midfielder. We need to get that right.

I'd have to disagree with that. The touchline camera man was directly in front of us to give you an idea of where I sit. The offside goal was clearly offside. I haven't seen any TV but from my position it was offside and we have a pretty similar view to the linesman but from the other side of the pitch. What was onside was the shot which hit the bar and we were very fortunate not to go 1-0 down at that point. As I've quoted Iceman above I wan't to be clear I'm excluding him, EiT and philip from the next comment.

There are fans posting on here who cannot have been at the game and must have listened to radio or watched on TV if they actually watched anything at all!! Some of you truely need to use preview and think about the comments you make. The comments from these supporters are simply ridiculous and demonstrate how TV can distort the reality of some games. I wouldn't claim this to be a great Rovers performance but given the weather conditions, Boro's attitude to the match, it was cold, wet and the rain was blowing in to the upper tier of the JW everything was set for a thoroughly miserable evening. The truth is we got the reverse, an entertaining game, much improved Rovers performance but still lacking some creativity and penetration. We are falling down in the final third and need to improve our play here or have two strikers threatening as one against this Boro defence is very difficult. Ince made changes to the side which suggest he's getting to grips with it. I don't agree with 4-5-1 and Derbyshire on the wing doesn't work. While criticism is unfair when he was out of position Matt was almost invisible today. However Grella, Warnock and Villanueva in midfield looks like the start of a good combination. The problem with 4-5-1 is you need very mobile midfielders who can shoot on sight - this we don't have and for a home game it smacks of negativity. Roque and Matt combined would have been my choice, though on the basis of his 25-30 minute appearance it seems Benni may have learnt his lesson - which for me is a big statement as at 5.30pm I'd have shipped him out without a second thought.

MR. E - your remark about RSC is shameful and along with the rest of your comments shows you don't appreciate his importance to the side, I doubt you appreciate anything about Rovers. brfc1995, yellowsubmarine, SamTheLeedsRover, Frisky Jim, why not try to get to Ewood to watch? You might get a better impression of the game, your reactions to this match are daft. LeChuck and Rovermatt I'm really surprised by your views, we were much better than you guys seem to realise from the TV.

This was a good performance under the circumstances and I feel better about Ince's appointment this morning than I have so far. If we want things to worry about it's these - we still lack real penetration and lone strikers are not the answer, only three home goals to date, plus the crowd. If 17,700 desn't send a chilling message to the powers that be I don't know what will. On a filthy night, TV, two middling to average sides, poor perception of the likely entertainment, and all the usual media hype combined to ruin our gate. PL the best league in the world? - rubbish. The gate is not a Rovers problem, it is a clear indicator of what the PL has become, and it's not positive. I expected a rubbish game as did thousands of others, I chose to go and was pleasantly surprised, trouble is I was outnumbered by the thousands who didn't.

I'd like to congratulate Hull City. You guys must be living in dreamland. Keep it up, it gives hope to PL football.

Good post Paul.

When I saw the line-up, I though Rovers would play 4-4-2 as did Setanta as they put Derbyshire up front alongside RSC and Carlos left wing in the opening graphic. Instead I think we tried to play 4-4-1-1 with Carlos at liberty as the 1 and it meant that RSC got out numbered despite his extraordinary physical strength.

Talking of physical strength, we missed the brute presence of Samba against the bull-like Alves.

Hopefully, we will learn to take our chances when we have a very bright opening ten minutes again. We didn't against either Arsenal or Man U and get destroyed and didn't again against Boro and dropped two points. There was a funny moment for those watching TV. Just as Craig Burley was opining (accurately as it turned out in the end) "These are two well-matched sides", there was a caption showing the opening ten minutes posession as Rovers 81% Boro 19%!

Think this is a good report from the NoTW with an interesting comment from Ince about McCarthy. Incidentally, I thought Aliadiere had matured enormously based on his end-to-end performance yesterday for Boro. Downing on the other hand was woeful.

Midfield needs sorting now. Warnock needs to go back to left back now. The majority of the game bypassed him. We have to restore MGP back to left wing as Derbs looked ineffective on left wing and fluffed the chances he had to hit the target. He maybe ineffectual but the team looks balanced. Emerton still looks better in central midfield and would be a good partner for Grella, who impressed on his own in midfield although he was possibly lucky to stay on the park for the full 90 minutes. Unfortunately he is needed on the right wing so I'm probably get panned but why is Ince not playing Andrews. At least he is a Central Midfielder and is the only option without Vogel, who is not in his plans.

Villanueva impressed in the first half before he tired. Santa Cruz did not look 100% fit. McCarthy looked sharp but there still seems to be little understanding between him and Roque.

Olsson struggled again today. Ouijer played well with the exception of the Boro goal. Nelson played well. Simpson was OK.

I would like to see Boro's goal again because from where I was sat it looked like the ball went straight down the middle of the goal and as such Robinson should be saving it.

Again Rovers played some nice football in small periods of the game but it was never prolonged and it may have been worrying if Boro had attacked more because they looked dangerous when they attacked.

A 1-1 draw is not terrible result. There still seems to be more questions than answers.

I can see what Ince is trying and on the whole I like what he is trying to do but Rovers need the players to do it. If we are going to play players out of position then Hughes's style of play would be better. This way rovers would be more compact and not so easily stretched.

many people are just totally lost and illusionized.............

look at the 2nd half! did we even troubled the keeper?

Boro was basically cancelled out by the negative play style from us. the pitch was no excuse, as proven by man u. i will have to admit that there were few brilliant moments around. but however the entire formation and tactics has been a mess. out of 10 passes, at least 8 passes were made without any serious intention to break the opponent down. it was just passes made for the sake of making. Thats the reason why nothing was created!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And open your eyes and look at how narrow rovers were playing for the pass few months. Its terrible, its so damn square......

and let me repeat myself 1 more time........ add on to what that has already been built! not try to mess it around!

Warnock shld be left back , emerton/simpson/oojier right back, villaneua/emerton right wing, perderson left wing grella/tucay/vogel/villneua/emerton in the middle and the front is rather odvious santa/roberts/matty/mac carthy.

Play the players at where they should be! cause a few games playing well in the position doesn't mean that player can be played there. It will cause confusion and inbalance to the team. moreover i am sure should players be played on the correct position again, they will lose the touch and start making blunders, and this will take a few games to get it rectify. Just how many games do ince have to waste?????

I thought I would wait until the morning to see the reaction on here - unfortunately people seem to have missed the fact (maybe because of the score line) that we actually played quite well. Some of the angles of passing and movement were imaginative, and at times incisive - this is a much changed team to under MH were the play was more regimented and less imaginative.

Interesting that people was the formation as 4-5-1 - as at times I thought it was 4-3-3. Also interesting - though obviously missed by people on here - the number of times that Emerton (who was awesome) and Warnock manage to get in the box. A midfield three of Warnock, Grella and Emerton is both balanced and energetic - but hey what do I know.

Carlos (IMO) is starting to get used to the speed of the EPL - some of his passing angles were unbelievable - as were the number of times he was involved in moves that led to chances. Unusually for him - the one thing missing was accuracy of shooting.

I thought most players had reasonable matches with the exception of Olsson and (though it pains me to say it) Derbs. Though you could say that Derbs was often asked to drift left (never did Henry any harm) - his passing was poor, as was his shooting.

This match (IMO) confirmed that we may have a decent manager in PI - how many times under previous managers would this have ended up as a 1-0 smash and grab ? The fact we kept on going to the end (and still managed to try to play football rather than just lumping forward), that PI made the right sub - all bodes well for the future.

and let me repeat myself 1 more time........ add on to what that has already been built! not try to mess it around!

When will people understand that IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!! A new manager, whomever he may be, has his own methods, his own way of working and his own philosophy and that means that it takes time to get that across to his players. Football men up and down the country have been saying over and over that it takes a long time for a new manager to get his team playing the way he wants them to. Paul Ince will build on the base of players here but the way he works is different to Hughes and that's obvious by the way the team play now. It's not perfected by any means but change takes time. The only person who could possibly continue with the method Hughes had is Hughes! He isn't here now and Ince is trying to develop a lovely method of play but it takes time. If you were the manager wouldn't you want your team playing the way you want them to play?

Did you even watch the game you clown. :lol:

First half we could have easily been 3 or 4-0 up had we taken our chances..........

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY GRIZFOOT. MR E'S POST IS LUDICROUS IN PLACES BUT I THINK YOU MUST HAVE FORGOTEN THAT BORO DID HIT THE BAR AND HAVE A GOOD GOAL DISALLOWED IN THE FIRST HALF. OR WERE YOU NOT WATCHING THE GAME EITHER?

I'm starting to think some of you are just so anti-Ince that you are becoming biased against Rovers performances. We played fair more football than we ever did under Hughes, anyone remember the home games against West Ham, Villa and Sunderland last season? We were much worse in thoos games.

I SUGGEST THAT YOU ARE TOO ANTI HUGHES OR PRO INCE COS THE JURY IS DEFINITELY STILL OUT ON THAT ISSUE.

many people are just totally lost and illusionized.............

look at the 2nd half! did we even troubled the keeper?

Boro was basically cancelled out by the negative play style from us. the pitch was no excuse, as proven by man u. i will have to admit that there were few brilliant moments around. but however the entire formation and tactics has been a mess. out of 10 passes, at least 8 passes were made without any serious intention to break the opponent down. it was just passes made for the sake of making. Thats the reason why nothing was created!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And open your eyes and look at how narrow rovers were playing for the pass few months. Its terrible, its so damn square......

Warnock shld be left back , emerton/simpson/oojier right back, villaneua/emerton right wing, perderson left wing grella/tucay/vogel/villneua/emerton in the middle and the front is rather odvious santa/roberts/matty/mac carthy.

Play the players at where they should be! cause a few games playing well in the position doesn't mean that player can be played there. It will cause confusion and inbalance to the team. moreover i am sure should players be played on the correct position again, they will lose the touch and start making blunders, and this will take a few games to get it rectify. Just how many games do ince have to waste?????

Ha Ha

Once again the Anti-Ince people who have criticized everything from day one are going way OTT. Also, people trying to counteract their views with positive comments are going too fat the other way. Yesterday we were OK in a largely sterile match. It was shocking conditions with the rain even swirling right into the back of the Blackburn End stand at times and the atmosphere was fairly flat until midway through the second half.

Watching the quick MOTD highlights again on TV this morning surprised me how many chances and half chances we had, but if RSC had put 2 of his first half efforts away we would have gone in 2 up saying we had played quite well. The only person who I would say was poor yesterday was Derbyshire, but we know the reason for that. He needs to play up front or nowhere. Ince has wised up that Pedersen isn't contributing. Hopefully he'll wise up that Derbyshire isn't the answer on the right. We are still limited in 'quality' midfileders though so this may need to be addressed in January (it will help when Dunny is back - fingers crossed for Christmas.)

Yesterday, Simpson impressed me again. Carlos does lose the ball a bit as Mr E says in his thoughtless rant, but he also can and will create. He played two killer balls through to Santa Cruz twice in the first half. The question is whether we'll create more with him in than we would with 2 strikers on the pitch.

Grella started well and did OK throughout the game, as did Warnock again. They don't really seem to click together though which is a bit of a problem. Individually though there was no real blame.

Robinson was marginally at fault for the goal. For me he has come too far out of his goal so can't react as the ball is blasted past him. Further back on his line and he takes it quite easily. Apart from that though he was sound and I do like his attitude in a Rovers shirt. You can tell he wants to play for us and may well have played a big part in the equaliser.

Overall a stale, average performance but certainly not the horror show portrayed in places. After the United game i agreed with most of the criticism but not here.

For all of the people moaning heavily, which was the better Rovers performance. Yesterday, or home to Boro last year? That doesnt mean we shouldn't wish for better but it is a guide that we haven't fallen as far as people think we have.

It wasn't clearly onside in real time as the majority of the Blackburn end will tell you although having seen it on tv later it was.

Thats quite some statement gumboots! :wacko: But anyway what do the Blackburn End know about offsides? The last people I would ask about close offside decisions are people who watch from behind the goals.

I thought Carlos was much better in the first half when he was behind Roque...he built up quite a few good plays and gave Roque some chances that were wasted. Then he was moved to the left where his area of influence is a bit more limited and he faded a bit (not sure how much of this is due to getting tired or simply because that position doesn't suit him as much) but his corners were spot on, our men just lost the jumps against the defenders.

Even though Carlos played better as the man in the hole...we were confronted with another problem. Roque was outnumbered out front. If we are going to play like this we need other players to move up the wings to give Roque more space and Carlos more options.

Blackburn needs one of these things:

At least 1 Winger or Attacking mid that will get in wide (must be fast to make the most of counters)

or

Another striker next to Roque. (I'm not sure this one would be wise against tougher opposition, but playing at home it should always be an option.)

obviously people have their opinions, and i was just curious to see what people think, but i really don't see Derbs "making it" at Blackburn. I think it's another Gally-esque case. Really think a move to another club where he can play upfront regularly is essential for his professional career.

If his wage demands are kept well in check then he's fine as an impact player and kept on the bench until the last 15 mins. As a leader of the line his is useless and as a winger he is poor with little of the necessary defensive abilities. Basically fore those that can rem a David Fairclough type supersub role and thats about it.

Rovers and Boro were evenly matched and the result was a fair one in the end.

Not very encouraging with Chelsea up soon! :o

Early days but Grella looks the real deal to me. Well balanced, strong in the tackle with good awareness and anticipation keeping him well positioned most of the time.

Warnock is getting undue criticism imo, like Emo he is a 100% player and is one of our 'big' players whether at lb or midfield.

Carlos is a firecracker one minute and a damp squib the next. Good display yesterday until he was pushed out wide to accomodate Benny whereby without pace and with a shortage of stamina he became totally ineffective. His dead ball play is excellent though and he seems able to guide his free kicks with real accuracy. His only position is playing in the hole behind a striker. Whether RSC has the pace to exploit his invention I'm not certain.

Spilt milk maybe but imo we'd have walked this match with Bentley playing instead of Derbyshire. Even a misfiring Pederson would have given us much more chance of all 3 points.

If his wage demands are kept well in check then he's fine as an impact player and kept on the bench until the last 15 mins. As a leader of the line his is useless and as a winger he is poor with little of the necessary defensive abilities. Basically fore those that can rem a David Fairclough type supersub role and thats about it.

Not very encouraging with Chelsea up soon.

Hang on we might have another 6 points before Chelsea.

...and if that's a game we need to win we are in trouble.

No Rovers side should be playing 4-5-1 at home! It's asking for trouble. Rovers have always been a footballing side. Rovers should be starting 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3.

Arsenal used to play 4-5-1 with Henry quite a bit. Just because your playing it doesn't mean your not a footballing side. To do it without a long ball though you need pace both up front and in support which I'm not sure we have.

Two personal disappointments for me last night were Derbs and Ooijer. Derbs is currently looking like our last Great Harwood recruit who briefly shone, Dave Hargreaves, and unfortunately I don't buy all this 'out of position' guff. He was awful in the area and has been for a while now. There is no chance whatsoever that he would have scored Benni's goal, which was much better than it first looked. You just have to recall Roberts' 'effort' against Bolton to see that (he wouldn't have scored it either).

Ooijer I've thought until now should be one of our starting CH's, but all three 'Boro golden chances including the goal were down to him being too static. Samba may be a bit unpredictable, but I think he would have got in the way of the goal at least.

Also interesting that the three best perfomances last night came from Ince signings (Grella, Carlos and Simpson) I think it shows that the Hughes regime programming of the players ran very deep and they are the ones who have the hardest task to adapt to any new manager. Maybe that's why players who left us didn't fare too well at their new clubs.

Considering Santa Cruz was `doubtful` all week, his performance last night was truly remarkable. In the first half he reminded me of Shearer at times, dominant in the air, always finding space and on the end of nearly everything, determined, strong, quick and powerful.

Thought we played pretty good football for the most, poor conditions didn't help.

These two must be related-

aladiere_280x390_373861a.jpg

btrich113.jpg

Arsenal used to play 4-5-1 with Henry quite a bit. Just because your playing it doesn't mean your not a footballing side. To do it without a long ball though you need pace both up front and in support which I'm not sure we have.

Took the words right out of my mouth Hasta. Who could ever accuse Wengers Arsenal of not playing good football?

Yesterday we looked just about OK with Villanueva in the hole but without him our midfield have been leaving RSC too isolated.

Considering Santa Cruz was `doubtful` all week, his performance last night was truly remarkable. In the first half he reminded me of Shearer at times, dominant in the air, always finding space and on the end of nearly everything, determined, strong, quick and powerful.

Thought we played pretty good football for the most, poor conditions didn't help.

These two must be related-

aladiere_280x390_373861a.jpg

btrich113.jpg

Oz

I thought Santa Cruz was excellent in awful conditions but I can't help feeling we would have done better if he had a strike partner.

Archived