BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough Preview

chocky

I think we need to nail the myth that it's exciting stuff played out at Ewood though, it's not, it's just OK, and don't just take my word for it, ask the empty seats.

Come off it Jason, crowds dropped markedly under Hughes as well prior to the price reductions so you can't pin that one solely on Ince.

Although I'm sure Hughes walking out on us in the summer would be the main factor in figures being down this time round.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come off it Jason, crowds dropped markedly under Hughes as well prior to the price reductions so you can't pin that one solely on Ince.

Although I'm sure Hughes walking out on us in the summer would be the main factor in figures being down this time round.

I think the crowd figures are a combination of the summers events and the poor football on offer. I don't think that Hughes leaving in itself is behind the low turnouts.

By that, I mean the absolute silence from Ewood over the sale of Bentley, persistent rumours of RSC leaving and very little noise , from Ince or the club, about Ince's appointment and the aims for the future. We heard hardly anything positive from the club at all, over the summer Rev [maybe food for the PR debate].

The home league performances have been really poor, not just this season admittedly, but if that happens for any length of time, crowds will be affected.

2 seasons ago we played boro at home on a saturday at 3pm, the attendance was just over 1000 more than saturday. Take into account the kick-off time, TV and also the horrible weather, its understandable why. But I suppose you can always blame Ince. Pathetic!

2 seasons ago we played boro at home on a saturday at 3pm, the attendance was just over 1000 more than saturday. Take into account the kick-off time, TV and also the horrible weather, its understandable why. But I suppose you can always blame Ince. Pathetic!

Errrr, what have I blamed Ince for Hughesy? ST sales are down 1500 I believe, and that kind of percentage drop was carried forward to Saturday's game.

Very touchy.

We are 2 points behind a UEFA Cup spot, in 11th. The usual teams are around us. There is no doom and gloom. Yes we may lose RSC. We always lose our best striker (sale or to fat!) and find another one. A decent wide player is required. Only a dozen players have any future and we are already seeing players nudged out. The football is good, not great, but better players will make a difference.

As for signings;

Grella - Everyone says great

Robinson - Most people say great

Andrews - many people say good bargain - has something to offer

Fowler - abysmal

Carlos - fantastic potential / on loan

My lad and I were two other season ticket holders missing - in Cornwall at my mother-in-law's 90th birthday party. Luckily the pub next door to the hotel has Sultana Sports. Sam and I both thought it was a decent Rovers performance, especially given the conditions - our overall play deserved a win but given the missed chances a draw was the right result in the end. Interesting to note that my nephew (Bristol City fan) thought it was a crap game and my other son Alex, who lives in London and so doesn't get to see Rovers too much, also thought it a poor game. Don't know what this proves though.

I frightened the living daylights out of a family who had just sat down for a meal next to the TV in the 94th minute.

Beautiful day in Cornwall Saturday - on the beach in the morning B)

As for signings;

Grella - Everyone says great

Robinson - Most people say great

Andrews - many people say good bargain - has something to offer

Fowler - abysmal

Carlos - fantastic potential / on loan

Plus Danny Simpson who is on loan and doing a decent job for us at right back.

Where did I blame Ince in my post? All I said was that we need to nail the myth that the football is exciting, not pro Hughes or Anti Ince just based on the lack of numbers at the ground.

You're going to have to start engaging brain before typing Hughesy, I'm beginning to think you're a bit of a clown. A touchy clown at that.

Oh and why did you not answer my earlier PM?

Plus Danny Simpson who is on loan and doing a decent job for us at right back.

More than decent, he has been largely faultless against some excellent wingers. Far less culpable than other is the defence for the goals we have conceeded.

Whilst Ince has not shown Hughes like ability in the transfer market (well he hasn't had much time) everybody looks like good value for money so far. We shall see.

Do you not think the financial crisis coupled with torrential wind and rain might have had more of an impact on the crowd size rather than any perceived annoyance with the style of football/management?

Especially considering the last home match also had awful weather, and the fact that this game was also on the TV??

Or is it solely down to people "voting with their feet" regarding Paul Ince?

I think I know which is more likely to have had the greatest impact.

I agree, Bucky. The conditions for the man u game were abysmal, and would certainly put many off coming to a game with similar conditions - and who can blame them? For those who walked, they would have been soaked before they even got to the ground. Much more appealing to pop round the local and watch the match on tv in the warmth and comfort.

Do you not think the financial crisis coupled with torrential wind and rain might have had more of an impact on the crowd size rather than any perceived annoyance with the style of football/management?

Especially considering the last home match also had awful weather, and the fact that this game was also on the TV??

Don't think it's the financial crisis - more down to people voting with their feet ( as any neutral who went to Bolton would confirm that fixture wasnt worth the reduced £15 as the football by both sides was NiL ) , coupled with attrocious weather , unattractive opposition and the game live on Setanta .

If I'm right that was Rovers lowest attendance in the league for a few seasons since the 16,000+ V Fulham .

What are Inces selections about they are totally baffling ??????????????

The only point I'm trying to make is that the football on show isn't as 'entertaining' as some on here would try to have us believe. If it was there wouldn't have been so many empty seats on Saturday regardless of the weather and live TV IMO.

But if that explanation fails just bung me in the Anti Ince, Anti Rovers 'go and support another club' category.

Den has his new found pessimism regarding Rovers to explain the low crowd.

I think the crowd figures are a combination of the summers events and the poor football on offer. I don't think that Hughes leaving in itself is behind the low turnouts.

By that, I mean the absolute silence from Ewood over the sale of Bentley, persistent rumours of RSC leaving and very little noise , from Ince or the club, about Ince's appointment and the aims for the future. We heard hardly anything positive from the club at all, over the summer Rev [maybe food for the PR debate].

The home league performances have been really poor, not just this season admittedly, but if that happens for any length of time, crowds will be affected.

Bucky, with his positive Rovers attitude, cites outside factors.

Which one is closer? I'd lean on the side of Bucky in that many who did not attend probably watched it on TV as they didn't fancy getting soaked before their Saturday night out.

Den has his new found pessimism regarding Rovers to explain the low crowd.

Bucky, with his positive Rovers attitude, cites outside factors.

Which one is closer? I'd lean on the side of Bucky in that many who did not attend probably watched it on TV as they didn't fancy getting soaked before their Saturday night out.

Ah, but what caused the drop in ST sales? You can't blame that on the rain or the TV? :lol:

:rover: my pennysworth on sat's game,i thought we were very unlucky not to win,to lose would have been a travisty.but how lucky are we with these offside decisions :rolleyes: we could be 5 pts worse off if the lino did there job properly. it's only about 9 months ago boro visited ewood and played us off the park,we gained a fortunate point that day but this time it was a much better preformance.paul ince must realise matty is not a winger,play him in the middle ffs.i thought grella did well as did the chilean,santa was superb if a bit rusty. :brfc:

No, but neither can you blame it on the performances, considering they went on sale before a ball had even been kicked.

We sold two of our best players in the summer and then failed to deliver just one quality signing to offset the two outgoings, simple as big mistake.

Just one imaginative signing would have offset the departing two but it just didnt happen and we still await.

No, but neither can you blame it on the performances, considering they went on sale before a ball had even been kicked.

I haven't blamed it solely on performances if you read it properly. On the other hand, no-one could deny that the home performances could have put some people off attending.

Baffling they might be but they're working pretty well. We should have won on Saturday a fit Roque would have had a couple before they'd scored.

playing 4-5-1 at home to a struggling team is baffling mate.

playing SMD at left wing is baffling mate.

To see a finisher like SMD stuck out left is unbelieveable, he is a finisher and a forward not a left winger and not a provider.

So, I would not be saying they are working that well at the moment.

Archived