BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hd Lcd Tvs

Anyone interested enough, to have thoughts on what to set your HD box to? I've had mine running at 1080i since I got HD, but recently I've been running on 720p, simply because it's a progressive scan. It does seem to be better on that output. Maybe you people just have better things to worry about? :D

Anyway, for people who don't know what I'm talking about, This explains it.

So which output do you have your box set to, - and why?

Guest Kamy100

I tend to watch fast moving images (ie football) on 720p, mainly because 1080i is not good for that kind of stuff as the signal has to be deinterclated before it is displayed on your TV. For images that aren't fast moving (ie documentarys, most TV serials) I tend to watch them on 1080i because of the extra resolution that 1080i offers.

There is some good discussion in the thread below regarding this:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthr...t=1080i+or+720p

Samsung and Sony use exactly the same screens from exactly the same factory and 90% of the same components. Source - one of Sonys top Uk salesmen.

The difference? Just the cost.

Not the only difference. The 10% not mentioned will be the "engine", or processor and software/firmware. All computers and TV's use pretty much the same components, but the main "bit", - the processor and software/firmware, are what you pay for. and that's what makes a huge difference. At the end of the day, a modern TV is a computer, - and all computers don't behave the same as each other do they?

Guest Kamy100

You are right Ricky.

If he has a 720p screen he won't be able to set PS3 to 1080p, most 720p TV's also have 1080i so he could run it that. To be honest though 99.9% of games have a native resolution of 720p anyway so running and 1080i or 1080p wouldn't show any difference.

Archived