BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leaving Early

ABBEY

couldnt find the thread if you want merge it..ta.

It could only happen to me ,i HAD to leave early for the first time ever as i had a taxi booked ,i waited until 2 minutes into stoppage time and lo and behold i missed the bloody goal and got stuck in traffic and missed my bloody taxi.

couldnt find the thread if you want merge it..ta.

It could only happen to me ,i HAD to leave early for the first time ever as i had a taxi booked ,i waited until 2 minutes into stoppage time and lo and behold i missed the bloody goal and got stuck in traffic and missed my bloody taxi.

Unlucky! I did the same thing once when I was on crutches and left a minute before the end of extra time when we were away at Notlob. Lo and behold we scored. My mate cursed me for a week...

I left the NFL game at Wembley early this year, but I've never left a Rovers match early.....though I've been tempted to a few times!

Im backing Benni Mac to hit form now. He seems to want to score goals again - even if its just for a move away then so be it, aslong as he bags 20.

I'd love it if he bagged a few and engineered himself a January tranfer in the process, love it. Can't stand the lazy sod.

A lot of people left early on Saturday, Especially from the lower seats and who can blame them? They must have been soaked to the skin and frozen. Fortunately I sit on the back row on the Riverside and I was quite comfortable and dry.

I left early for only the second time ever (the previous was to get one of the extra tickets available for PNE away in the promotion season) as it was my father's first trip out since he had a very nasty fall at the start of September and we needed to avoid the crowds.

So I missed the goal. But that's not where the story ends.

As we left the ground early, we got back to Chorley early. I then left Chorley earlier than normal. Got on the M61 back to Huddersfield early. So far, so good.

Was no further than Botany Bay when a mate rang. He'd left his steering wheel lock key in his house, and needed rescuing and a lift to his house and back to Blackburn. He lives in Halifax.

I had to drive up to Horwich, double back to Blackburn, then drive to Halifax, then drive back to Blackburn and then finally back home to Huddersfield. Walked in the door at 2 minutes past midnight!

If I hadn't have left a few minutes early, I'd have seen the equaliser and I wouldn't have been on the motorway when he rang so could have saved at least half an hour. Next time my father is feeling uneasy on his feet, he can damned well walk up to the Brown Cow by himself!

In the mid sixties I went to Utd v Rovers , it was a night match and the coach from Rochdale was full of Red Rats ,just me and my mate were Rovers fans( you could do that in those days). The coach was late and we were still outside the ground when the game kicked off. After about 2 minutes we heard a muffled roar and assumed Utd had nearly scored, just as we got through the turnstile there was an almighty cheer- I thought " ######, the Rats have scored". When I got in the ground after about 5 minutes I asked a bloke "What's the score mate?" He says 1-1. Bloody hell I've missed two goals !

The games goes on and Utd score again in the second half ( down the Stretford End , we could hardly see a thing), and Rovers are getting a real runaround, hardly out of our own half . With about 5 minutes to go my mate says " Come on , lets go and try to find our coach.

We find our coach right away and sit there gloomily awaiting the triumphant Red Rats. Eventually a couple of blokes in red scarves get on muttering to themselves _ " Jammy @#/?s ! They were never in it !" I say " What was the final score mate ? He says 2-2 .

We tried very hard not to look too pleased. Not bad is it 4 goals at O.T. and I half saw one of them !

Reminds me of the evening I went to OT to watch PNE, in a FA cup replay, midsixties. Queing at the turnstiles when all the turnstiles closed at the same time. The ground was full. Thousands locked out.

Now that was an early exit. [still had to wait for the bus though, as it wouldn't leave until full time].

Serves you right for leaving early. You're a disgrace and you probably support Burnley.....................is what some fans might be thinking but personally I reckon you're unlucky. These things happen.

and "some fans " may think you have to be there first in order to leave early <_< listen do me a favour and dont ever ever call me a disgrace or ask me to support burnley...not even in jest.

No Den , that 2-2 was the season we went down ,1965-66. The one I referred to earlier was season 1963-64 ( I've just checked the " Complete Record") The 28th of October 1963, Harrison and Mc Evoy scored- allegedly ! the team if you're interested was the usual- Else-Bray,Newton-Clayton,England,McGrath-Ferguson,McEvoy,Pickering,Douglas,Harrison.

I also attended the game you refer to- We were never in that one either until Harry Gregg banjoed Mike England at a corner for no obvious reason and gave away a pen as well as getting his marching orders. David Herd took over in goal for the pen and actually ran along the goal-line to try and save Harrison's shot-very funny.

From being dead and buried 2-0 down we were right back in it, Harrison got fouled by Crerand about 30 yds out and chipped a quick free kick to the far post. Crerand made the cardinal error of turning his back to the ball as he ran back towards his own goal, Harrison's chip hit him on the back of the head and glanced into the opposite corner of the goal ! How we laughed a that one ! Another thing from that game- Rovers got a corner at the old scoreboard end and while the players were waiting for it to be taken somebody threw an old fashioned dimpled beer glass out of the crowd. As luck would have it the glass landed bang on the crossbar and shattered into a thousand pieces, Nobby Stiles had to be held back by about four players from going into the crowd to find the idiot who threw it !

There was a first for Rovers that day Den, I wonder if you know what it was ? There's a clue in the team-

Else-Newton,Wilson-Sharples,Mulvaney,Clayton-Ferguson,McEvoy,England,McGrath*,Harrison. Sub Byrom*.

I once left early when we lost at home to Crewe, the day our strikers infamously Buffonised their goalkeeper in a 1-0 defeat - in the shocking post relegation season. As the other thread shows, we had to leave the Boro game early but that was different. Oh and I left early the day Man City won promotion at Ewood, where we dominated and lost 4-1...Christian Daily OG...my Dad made us though because of all the City fans dotted about. I was sat next to drunk Citeh fans, and at 8 it was scary to say the least!

The only time I left early was at Maine Road when we got stuffed 6-1. Me and my dad were stood in the Kippax with the City supporters and left after we went 5 down.

As we exiting the ground we walked past some Rovers fans when another loud cheer went up. My dad commented on that being the sixth goal when one of the other group of Rovers fans said six we did not know it was four.

Had to listen to Stuart Hall gloating all the way home

and "some fans " may think you have to be there first in order to leave early <_< listen do me a favour and dont ever ever call me a disgrace or ask me to support burnley...not even in jest.

Serves you right for leaving early.

Which is true because you missed a goal.

You're a disgrace and you probably support Burnley.....................is what some fans might be thinking but personally I reckon you're unlucky.

I didn't call you a disgrace or a Burnley fan. I wrote some people might think that.

These things happen.

better luck next time!

Read it through properly next time!

Archived