BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] An Audiencs With The Stars

I thought the players came across extremely well, they seemed to have absolute belief that they shouldn't be in the position they're in and that they're good enough to get out of it, albeit they need to start picking up points immediately.

Whilst obviously no Club is too good to go down, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, there's no point them thinking they've had it.

I was expecting Robinson to be a bit shy and quiet but surprisingly, he came across as a real character and a bit of a joker making numerous quips. I thought the best one was:

Compere: (To Roque) "Can you beat your goal tally for last season?"

Roque: "I hope so."

Robinson: "You'd better get a move on then." :lol:

They all came across as genuinely nice guys with Roque, Warnock and Robinson seeming completely happy and at ease and giving the impression of being a lot more intelligent than you might expect from your average footballer. Simpson came across as slightly nervous, the youngster of the party. Yet again, hearing directly from someone connected with the club, the over-riding impression was one of a happy dressing room, contrary to all the unfounded speculation elsewhere.

As Den says the event was carefully stage managed and the players were spoon fed questions otherwise all it would have consisted of would have been questions to them (and Roque in particular) about whether they would be there in February.

The presenter dealt with this obliquely by saying "Most of the questions I have in front of me are about who's staying who's leaving. How do you deal with all the speculation"

Warnock skirted round the issue completely saying that in his view much of it started from supporters talking about players they'd like at their club, this tended to grow a life of it's own and before long the papers (who have to sell copies) would pick up on it and give it further credence.

Roque had no need at all to give a direct answer but said "I am very happy to play for Blackburn and it is the Club's decision what happens."

Robinson again made a joke about it and said "I'm allright, I've just signed a five year contract so you're stuck with me for a good few years yet."

Simpson gave the impression he would be happy to stay if asked but it was subject to what Ferguson wanted to do with him.

A lot of the other questions were completely trivial but miscellaneous points I can recall:

- Roque and Warnock said training and what they were doing generally wasn't that much different to under Hughes

- Surprisingly hardly any of them were in favour of video technology saying it would take a lot of the controversy and talking points out of the game. Only Robinson was definitely in favour of something on the line.

- They all thought Howard Webb was the best referee. Said you could actually talk to him and he was the fittest ref, always up with play.

Just listened to the full Q & A - really good listen. Very funny! Warnock is certainly clued up and i think he should captain the club. Roque seems like a joker and very happy. Robinson is here to prove himself whilst Simpson wants to stay but who really wants him?

Actually, I thought Simpson did an excellent job in the second half at left back V Spurs. It really showed the difference between the two defenders.

It speaks volumes that - whilst the various threads dedicated to slating Paul Ince have generated well over 200 posts today (a quiet Wednesday between games) - this one thread which is discussing what Rovers players said to the fans, through their own mouths, without agents, and in good humour - has generated 7 posts.

It suggests to me that most people on this MB don't want to hear any good news. Fair play to those who have recounted their take on last night.

It speaks volumes that - whilst the various threads dedicated to slating Paul Ince have generated well over 200 posts today (a quiet Wednesday between games) - this one thread which is discussing what Rovers players said to the fans, through their own mouths, without agents, and in good humour - has generated 7 posts.

It suggests to me that most people on this MB don't want to hear any good news. Fair play to those who have recounted their take on last night.

dont worry - they will be back as soon as there is something negative again.

its more about the type of person tris.

some people just love to moan - makes their life more complete

It suggests to me that most people on this MB don't want to hear any good news.

What good news ? That the players are all still happy-chappies despite the club languishing second from bottom in the table ?

The only good news that supporters want to hear is that Rovers have collected 3 points from the Portsmouth match. Nowt else.

zzzzz.....

There's a perfectly good reason for that.

The current Ince discussion generates debate. All sorts of debate. His tactics, team selections, our future prospects, if/when he should go, any future replacements and is the most important issue around our club right now.

This is very nice to read but until your post I felt no urge to reply. It's not like there's much to discuss apart from saying it was a nice read. Which would be a bit of a pointless post. A bit like your neverending crusade to make us pretend everything's alright with Rovers.

An excellent evening and full credit to the players and compare Andy Banes of radio Lancashire who kept it at a good pace throughout.

Paul Robinson came across as a bit of a joker in the camp but all seemed confident that Rovers will pull out of this slump and I think it was Steven Warnock who went on to say he thought the possibility of qualifying for Europe THIS season was still there - interesting considering were we are.

All four players were not only a credit to themselves but the club as well, well done to all involved hopefully Rovers can do many more evenings like this as it was an excellent PR exercise that sent out so many positive messages .

Well I was out last night so first chance to post.

This is a tremendous initiative by the club and well done to all concerned.

I must admit that given the place we are in in the league table and the speculation about transfers out, I had forebodings that the Q and A session was a car crash waiting to happen but it sounds like it was handled superbly by all concerned.

Cracking night. All the players were game for a laugh and none of them really swerved any questions. Roque also said he is very happy and very happy playing for Blackburn and that his future is fully in Blackburn’s hands, but whatever they decide he is happy. He also made it clear that he ‘loves’ playing at the same club as his brother and that he is only just starting to get to know him fully, as when he was growing up, Roque moved away to Germany when he was only 8. So he seemed to really appreciate having his brother at the same team.

Spoke with all of them after the event, some in greater detail than others. Warnock was a funny bloke, up for a laugh and more than happy to sign autographs and have pics. Roque is very funny, and really tries his best to communicate in his broken English. Robbo is a very funny bloke when in the spotlight (i.e. when the questions were rolling), however a lot more shy and reserved when on his own. Danny Simpson however is the opposite, very shy when the spotlight was on, but very confident when talking one to one.

I spoke with Stevie & Danny more than the other 2, both said they were very happy, Warnock said to me that he isn’t interested in Newcastle and his family is all from Lancashire (Not a ‘scouser’ as he kept telling me).

Also earlier in the day, id heard from a mate of Simo’s that said he had been told United didn’t want him back. When Simpson was asked this in the Q&A session he said ‘he didn’t know and would have a meeting with SAF at the end of the season’. However when I asked him later, I said you must know something, dropped his mates name in there of where Id heard it from and he told me ‘To be honest, from what Iv heard they don’t want me back no. I then asked if he would be interested in coming back here to which he replied ‘definitely yes, il be straight back if they want me’.

Having listened to that I think it shows the leadership qualities of Warnock and how much he wants to succeed. I think everybody who has an opinion on the current manager and this team should listen to it, it's worth it just for the entertainment value.

What Stevie said about taking this season game by game and getting points on the board was spot on first aim being to get out of the bottom three. If we can't aim for European football, even now, there is something wrong. Ambition counts. It's pretty clear that all of the players know they have to do better and get results.

All-in-all a very positive and upbeat show and well worth listening to.

I also like the idea that it's an open dressing room and all of the players get to have their say if they want it. I really hope that this team and this manager can turn it around.

BTW, I think it makes a mockery of all of the sh't that is spouted on here by certain people.

Having listened to that I think it shows the leadership qualities of Warnock and how much he wants to succeed. I think everybody who has an opinion on the current manager and this team should listen to it, it's worth it just for the entertainment value.

What Stevie said about taking this season game by game and getting points on the board was spot on first aim being to get out of the bottom three. If we can't aim for European football, even now, there is something wrong. Ambition counts. It's pretty clear that all of the players know they have to do better and get results.

All-in-all a very positive and upbeat show and well worth listening to.

I also like the idea that it's an open dressing room and all of the players get to have their say if they want it. I really hope that this team and this manager can turn it around.

BTW, I think it makes a mockery of all of the sh't that is spouted on here by certain people.

people are all entitled to their own opinions and the table doesn't make for pleasant viewing. the facts are that we are in the relegation zone and nobody likes being there.

its just the manner in which some sections of the support have been so vocal about him needing to be out before a ball had been kicked.

it may well turn out that he gets the sack - I just want us to have given him every opportunity to succeed without putting undue pressure on.

Up the rovers

Well I was out last night so first chance to post.

This is a tremendous initiative by the club and well done to all concerned.

I must admit that given the place we are in in the league table and the speculation about transfers out, I had forebodings that the Q and A session was a car crash waiting to happen but it sounds like it was handled superbly by all concerned.

Yup - credit where it's due Philip, you probably shared the same cynicism I did about the gig, but it really was a great night.

Despite our present predicament, it's nice to see the players taking the time with the fans, and not in a 'pushed for time' or 'going through the motions' style. All four of them came across very well indeed, Simmo seemed like a naughty schoolbot, Roque very happy-go-lucky, Warnock very down-to-earth and opinionated and my personal fave was Robbo. I expected to him to be a bit thicker and morose, far from it - he seemed amusing, intelligent, lively and confident. All four seemed happy enough here and not the 'big time charlies' one would presume.

I liked the fact they made a point of hanging around afterwards, speaking, chilling and couldn't spend enough time with the photos, signatures etc. Andy Beyes (sp?) was a massive improvement on previous comperes, and whilst some of the more searching questions were likely overlooked, I felt the players were more open than I expected them to be.

Even Mr Agnew had the good sense to hang back in the cheap seats, and relegate Mr Nield to a lowly photographer's job.

BTW Philip - did you get to see the 3 Rovers lads for Ire U19's against Malta, any opinions of them?

Den, he's still learning mate!

He's got to be given at least 4 or 5 seasons!

He can take us down to the conference then he can learn on the job in a more graduated way, and bring us back into the Premiership when he's 102.

You'll be pleased to note that both Roque and Warnock made some negative comments about Ince - probably just to please those curmudgeons that seem to take great delight in wrestling a negative out of any situation B)

Archived