BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your Hometown Teams (not Rovers Obviously)

LeChuck

Obviously the vast majority of people on here are from Blackburn and the surrounding areas, but I was just wondering if the rest follow their hometown teams as well as Rovers?

I know some people will say it's impossible to follow both, but for me it isn't at all...it's a completely different feeling when Barrow 'achieve' something to when Rovers do it. It's more of a patronising thing with hometown teams I feel, a kind of 'aww well done, you didn't embarrass yourself' feeling, like cheering on the fat kid forced to enter a race at sports day because no-one else would do it.

I decided to ask because Barrow have just qualified for the FA Cup 3rd round tonight, beating Brentford 2-1. I think it's the first time since 1991 that we've made it this far. I really hope it's a big draw because they're always struggling for money, as are most teams at that level I guess. It's actually the most successful period we've had for ages, we got promoted to the Conference (Blue Sq. Premier as it's now known) last season after making the brave decision to appoint joint-managers with half the season gone.

So who do other people follow, and how are they doing?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often see how Barnet are doing (absolute ____ this season), and have fond memories of listening to BBC world service during the Barry Fry era of the early 1990's. Gary Bull was a legend, and you'd be surprised how many familiar names have played at Barnet at some stage of their career (e.g. Linvoy Primus, Junior Agogo, Ben Strevens, Thingy Grazioli, Paul Warhurst and possibly Tony Cottee). Now they're one of Arsenal's feeder clubs, which is sad as they don't get any of the good youngsters like Carlos Vela or Luke Wilshire.

I live exactly half way between Oxford and Swindon which makes for great fun seeing the locals argue!

I don`t really care either way but I was born in Swindon so would edge towards them if I had to.

I would prefer to see Reading do well. That way I can see the Rovers there again!

I often see how Barnet are doing (absolute ____ this season), and have fond memories of listening to BBC world service during the Barry Fry era of the early 1990's. Gary Bull was a legend, and you'd be surprised how many familiar names have played at Barnet at some stage of their career (e.g. Linvoy Primus, Junior Agogo, Ben Strevens, Thingy Grazioli, Paul Warhurst and possibly Tony Cottee). Now they're one of Arsenal's feeder clubs, which is sad as they don't get any of the good youngsters like Carlos Vela or Luke Wilshire.

Players that are that familiar....'Thingy'? I don't recall anybody called Thingy.

Jersey are in the South West Counties league..hardly worth going to watch them play Devon and Cornwall police is it!!..I watch them when we play Guernsey or if a tournement is played ...We used to have a really good under 21s tournament come here but it was not well supported and does not happen any more..So the long trip top Blackburn for me..better than most armchair fans who never go to watch the teams they support..

Swindon Town FC. Swindon was my home town and lived 42 happy years there. Well remember the heady days of John Trollope, Don Rogers, Ernie Hunt etc. At one time lived close to the ground and walked my dogs round the park adjoining the County Ground every day. Swindon Town FC has many links with Rovers including our Beamo, and of course, Paul Ince, who actually got some coaching badges whilst he was there. There are many, many more. Swindon Town has travelled up and down the leagues during the years, mainly settling in Division Three (now League One).

Have lived in Lancashire for 19 years now and love the place. Started supporting Rovers when they were in Division One and whilst Swindon Town FC will always have a place in my heart I am and will be forever henceforth a Rover. :wub:

as i im dansih and live in aalborg, i support my local team Aab bk..

i can proudly tell, for those of you who dont know, that we this past tuesday, beat celtic at home. this was in the championsl league, and we thereby progressed to the uefa cup.. i might add, we are the first danish team to have done that.. :D

the club is actually similar to rovers, aswe have hardly spend money on transfers, but still enjoy some succes.. :D

I live exactly half way between Oxford and Swindon which makes for great fun seeing the locals argue!

I don`t really care either way but I was born in Swindon so would edge towards them if I had to.

I would prefer to see Reading do well. That way I can see the Rovers there again!

If Ince stays as our manager you may get your wish! ;)

My local team Jönköpings Södra play in the second swedish division and was in real danger of getting relegated this year, surviving by winning in a negative qualification against the sleeping giant Öster. They are most famous for being coached by Olle Nordin, the man who led Swedens disastrous World Cup 1990 campaign and for actually having beaten Manchester United once ( on some kind of training tour in the 50's). Most exotic local team yet? :)

It's more of a patronising thing with hometown teams I feel, a kind of 'aww well done, you didn't embarrass yourself' feeling, like cheering on the fat kid forced to enter a race at sports day because no-one else would do it.

Rovers have my heart but I have a soft spot for Plymouth, Tranmere, Aldershot

You've brought back memories of us tying the fat kids shoe laces together and watching him fall over, One particular fat kid couldn't even finish in the top 100 for cross coutry every year our tutor would occupy most of the top 15 only to lose because the next nearest bloke was lardey lavery who's best position was 152nd, frustrating.

Jersey are in the South West Counties league..

Just curiously Jersey play in what league????? I lived in devon and have never heard of the south west counties league??

are you on about the pennisula or the toolstation league?

I just know it's that league...I've never watched a match...Guernsey have just entered the lower leagues proper...

Soth West Counties league

OK now I get it sorry when you said south west couties I never imagined Devon or cornwall police RAF etc would play in the wiltshire county league, seems odd they don't play in there county league.

the marines play in the SWP league which was the one I thought you maybe refering too, maybe one day they'll all sit down and decide its a bit confusing when almost every league in the SW is the South West something or other.

My hometown team is Sprint/Jeløy, who recently got relegated to Norwegian's @#/? equivalent of League 2, after enjoying some years of mediocrity in League 1. Famous for the waffles that you can buy for a reasonable price at the club house.

Amazing facilities at the "Bellevue Stadion":

v01_3BBB949DD912215663DB0F4F08016D2E.JPG

My hometown is Hereford and I look out for their results, been to a few games too.

I've spent most of my life in Leicester and I've been to a few games at Filbert Street and the Walkers Stadium, most of those were either Premiership games or pre-season games that are too good to turn down like Barcelona, Inter Milan and Brazil. Also went to a few when they played Blackburn, a long time ago now!

Lived in Mansfield now for 9 years so look for their result on a Saturday - even though I know they'll have lost.

Not been since they were drawn with Burnley in the cup a few years back and got stuffed. :angry:

The game in which Jay McEveley knackered his knee after joining on loan.

Obviously the vast majority of people on here are from Blackburn and the surrounding areas, but I was just wondering if the rest follow their hometown teams as well as Rovers?

I know some people will say it's impossible to follow both, but for me it isn't at all...it's a completely different feeling when Barrow 'achieve' something to when Rovers do it. It's more of a patronising thing with hometown teams I feel, a kind of 'aww well done, you didn't embarrass yourself' feeling, like cheering on the fat kid forced to enter a race at sports day because no-one else would do it.

I decided to ask because Barrow have just qualified for the FA Cup 3rd round tonight, beating Brentford 2-1. I think it's the first time since 1991 that we've made it this far. I really hope it's a big draw because they're always struggling for money, as are most teams at that level I guess. It's actually the most successful period we've had for ages, we got promoted to the Conference (Blue Sq. Premier as it's now known) last season after making the brave decision to appoint joint-managers with half the season gone.

I was born in Blackburn but live on the south coast uk. My nearest teams would be either Hasting United or Eastbourne borough - I have a tendency to keep an eye on eastbournes results nut do not go to the games.

Archived