BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bring Back Gally

PAFELL

I remember the "experts" at Talksport saying exactly the same at the time. Happen Sam is going to resign John Stead and give them another go.

Paul is talented with his feet but he is not at the races mentally. If Sam can sort him out pschyology speaking then maybe Rovers could have a player of the King Carlos variety but this has to be the Last chance for Paul.

It is clear that this last chance is only due to that nobody is willing to pay the money being asked for him.

And the fact that we currently have a bit of a striker shortage so we might as well let him think he's in with a chance and see how he reacts. Still think he'll be out before the window closes.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought: Why not try Gally out in an attacking midfield role playing just behind the strikers and linking the play from the true CM's to the strikers. He can also spot and convert a chance himself when motivated. Might be worth a try.

Just a thought: Why not try Gally out in an attacking midfield role playing just behind the strikers and linking the play from the true CM's to the strikers. He can also spot and convert a chance himself when motivated. Might be worth a try.

He's got bags of talent, just seems to lack the motivation.

At least Sam has let him know that he's in the 'last chance saloon'.

Can Gally raise the bar, however much I'd love him to, I doubt it.

If he can finally make the step up to this level he would provide cover in a lot of positions in a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Don't forget he's been used mainly as an attacking wide player or midfielder in his time in the Championship and we're not abundant in those positions.

It's highly unlikely Sam will be thinking about having him in the squad as a striker anyway.

It's probably just me because everybody says that Gally has bags of talent. I just don't see it myself but as I say it must be just me that can't spot it. :(

And the fact that we currently have a bit of a striker shortage so we might as well let him think he's in with a chance and see how he reacts. Still think he'll be out before the window closes.

I think it says more about the lack of clubs who are willing to pay hard cash for him. My money is on him going out on loan again on Transfer Deadline Day.

It's probably just me because everybody says that Gally has bags of talent. I just don't see it myself but as I say it must be just me that can't spot it. :(

He has talent it is just that he hides it very well. It just peeks out every so often.

I think it says more about the lack of clubs who are willing to pay hard cash for him. My money is on him going out on loan again on Transfer Deadline Day.

He has talent it is just that he hides it very well. It just peeks out every so often.

He's the only Rovers player whose entry onto the pitch has always made me groan . I can't see the talent either but I accept that I might just need to go to specsavers.

He shouldn't be even considered at Rovers. Maybe if he was setting the world alight with his loans but he isn't. If he earns what has been suggested on here we can get much more value for money via selling him and bringing in a better squad player.

Saying that he is a better left side option than Treacy so wouldn't be the first one out the door.

Personally i think he has a bit of class with the ball at his feet. He can pick a pass and is one of very few in our squad who has good technical ability in the final third. The trouble is he doesn't do enough when we don't have the ball. If he had better movement he would be very useful deployed behind a front man.

As for his loan spells. I think wherever he has been he has been regarded as being quite succesful. The start of his latest at Plymouth he was excellent. He was scoring some very very good goals. He does seem to have a unwavering confidence which is great if its coupled with desire. Unfortunately he seems to be sadly lacking in this department. I think this can be credited for his downturn at Plymouth at the back end of the season. He thought he had made it. He thought his ability would get him by on its own. I'm afraid it won't.

Big Sam is boxing clever giving him one final chance. It cannot hurt to give him another go. But i'm pretty sure it'll end up in him leaving. I know we were asking a £1m for him. But i suspect he'll go for half of that.

Did you do summersaults when Moko entered the Fray? :P

No but it's to do with expectations. This guy is supposed to be good - Mokoena was just a stopper supposedly hence his nickname the Axe. Anything else he did was a bonus. Gallagher has been supposed to be this clasy striker or just off the sriker player and has never even looked interested beyond a brief spell when he played with Stead.

I think Gallagher has a lot of potential but at his age that isn't enough now.

Maybe he would be best suited in the middle of the park as his passing is very good and he can score goals. The one game that stands out for me was the Dingles game at Turd moor. For a local lad playing in that game he should have been exceptional and involved in everything as well at getting stuck in. However he didn't do anything and just looked not interested, this is the game every Rovers fan dreams of playing in so although it was just one game, it kind of summed him up for me.

He's also been pretty much the same at all the clubs he's been loaned out to also, when he's been interested he's done well but when he isn't he's found wandering imo.

Even though I don't rate him, I'd still put him in the team ahead of that plodder Roberts.

Gally can play anywhere in midfield as well as up front. Has a great first touch and his weight of pass is excellent. He finds the net too.

Sam wants players that can fill more than one role.

Trouble is Gally plays in slow motion, he always looks like he needs winding up.

Am I imagining things or did Gally have a brilliant cross on him? I'm sure I can remember him whipping in some great balls from the right.

But how often and how many times did he make the effort to be in the position to put crosses in? That's the problem. Bentley when he was here was always willing to get the ball and try to do something with it even if he didn't always make the right choices. He was always getting fouled becuase he was on the ball so often and so won us free kicks etc even when he didn't set up goals or chances. gallagher does not make space or get in positions where he can create the chances for himself or others. He has the ability to possibly, but he doesn't do it.

If I'd never seen him play before I would expect to see a Glenn Hoddle from some of the descriptions here. Great!

Unfortunately I have seen him play and know he's someone who looked a prospect 5 years ago but has gone backwards rather than developed in that time. In the Championship you could describe him as "above average" at best talent wise, and in terms of attitude he's disappointing. As much as anything else, us keeping him on sending a bad message to other promising youngsters that mediocrity and a lax attitude pays off worries me.

Just in case others do not say this : " think back to when we saw players like Derbs and Gally consistently in the first team ..and it is difficult to work out if they have ever had a good run. For instance both of them might have been used from time to time in the last few years but they were either on loan or used in their wrong positions. Their statistics are misleading cos they have hardly ever started. Derbs AND Gally could both be gone by the end of 2009 but can you really say that cheapish replacements will be any better(and I include Diouf,Carlos and any of this batch of new arrivals in my view). We are just so hard and immediate on our judgement on local players" RANT over.

Just in case others do not say this : " think back to when we saw players like Derbs and Gally consistently in the first team ..and it is difficult to work out if they have ever had a good run. For instance both of them might have been used from time to time in the last few years but they were either on loan or used in their wrong positions. Their statistics are misleading cos they have hardly ever started. Derbs AND Gally could both be gone by the end of 2009 but can you really say that cheapish replacements will be any better(and I include Diouf,Carlos and any of this batch of new arrivals in my view). We are just so hard and immediate on our judgement on local players" RANT over.

Not true. We all wanted them both to do well but more than one manager has not started them so it must say something about them. Besides if you read allardyce today, derbyshire wanted to go. Other players coming in may be no better but they can hardly make less of an impact than gallagher did and not much less than Derbyshire did either. If they were good enough we'd keep them, play them, or make a huge sum on them when they leave. Other premier league clubs are/were not queueing up for either, because they are never going to set the premiership alight.

Gally can play anywhere in midfield as well as up front. Has a great first touch and his weight of pass is excellent. He finds the net too.

Sam wants players that can fill more than one role.

Trouble is Gally plays in slow motion, he always looks like he needs winding up.

I am just wondering if Gally suffers from the same trouble I had as a young player. I was called aside after one training session by the manager. He just said to me (I have never forgotten this) " Have you got any blood in your veins, or is it just milk and water?"

I naturally flushed and felt very angry replying something to the effect of "what DO you mean by that Boss?" To which he replied " there you go, that's better! Now why the f*** can't you do that on the pitch?" He then went on to lecture me about just having ability was absolutely useless on it's own; it HAS to be accompanied by a bit of anger as well. In other words you have to get the adrenalin flowing freely before you start. You have to really WANT it. And he then told me the thing that actually did it for me. He said "whenever you go on any football pitch son, just tell yourself that "YOU are the best player on that bloody pitch" and you'd better believe it". It worked!

Must be me as well.

Been looking for years of any real display of that talent but it has not happened other than glimpses at Championship level.

All I can presume is that he must be damn good in training.

However people quoting the likes of Hughes and Souness thinking he has great talent miss the obvious. If they thought he was so talented then why did they barely ever play him? What is his average at Rovers? Must be way under 10 games a season (including cups) since he made his debut about 6 or 7 years ago.

We would all like a local lad to come good but I don´t think any of us actually really thinks it has the remotest possibility of happening.

Must be me as well.

Been looking for years of any real display of that talent but it has not happened other than glimpses at Championship level.

All I can presume is that he must be damn good in training.

However people quoting the likes of Hughes and Souness thinking he has great talent miss the obvious. If they thought he was so talented then why did they barely ever play him? What is his average at Rovers? Must be way under 10 games a season (including cups) since he made his debut about 6 or 7 years ago.

We would all like a local lad to come good but I don´t think any of us actually really thinks it has the remotest possibility of happening.

Hughes and Souness must both have thought Gally had talent otherwise neither would have given him renewed contracts. The talent is there. They were both either scared that he would leave Rovers for free and some other manager untap his potential then cost Rovers a fortune or hoped that some championship club would buy with a % sell on clause. Otherwise both would have let him go.

But with time passing, the chances of Gally developing any further any getting less and less likely. He has to toughen up mentally and realise natural ability alone is not sufficient. He has to get his head down and work. He has to show he wants to be a Premiership footballer.

Allerdyce has said he wants to see him and remembers the emerging player. Hopefully Sam can ply his man mangagement skills and rekindle Gally's desire to play premiership football not just sit back enjoy the trapping that come with it.

Fair enough but how old was he when he received that contract from Souness? About 18?

The Hughes one was a few years ago and still we are waiting.

The line seemed to be that the staff believed he would be a bit of a late developer but if anything he seems to be regressing if not stagnating.

The main problem for me is...where would you play him? Too lightweight to have any chance up front from a Sam team I would wager. That leaves...as a winger? The Plymouth fan mentioned his performances as going down a level when he was moved there. Central midfield? Again surely too lightweight and has he even been tried there? Playing behind the strikers? Supposedly possible in a 4-3-3 but again I cannot really see Gally in that role.

Shame to say but, and this has been the problem for years, there does not really seem to be a position where we could see him playing. Not at Premiership level.

One of the most satisfying things as a fan is to see a local lad coming through the ranks and making it but it seems like Gally has missed the boat. Shame but there is no room in the top flight for sentiment.

Archived