BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bring Back Gally

PAFELL

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked Gally, I just like that kind of player, add that to the fact he is a Rover and has always been. So I have always hoped he'd come through and really fulfill his potential. I don't know anything about his attitude but have never thought of him as lazy or unmotivated. I don't think he has ever been given a good proper run in the side, although he has clocked up quite a few minutes over the years it has mostly been occasional games and occasional sub appearances. Has he ever had 5 starts in a row? Some players need that to get used to the premier league. Hughes rated him enough in training to give him a new contract but not enough to play regular games. It is difficult to give a player that kind of time and I haven't seen enough of him in the last little while to tell if he deserves that, but certainly in our current predicament it would be very difficult. He is 24 now (right?) which is not very young but he still has a lot of time in front of him to improve, one thing I don't understand is that some people seem to believe that if a player isn't good enough to be a PL regular by the age of 23 then he never will be. That IMO is nonsense.

Anyway at the end of the day if I were Ince I'd be looking at him like I would look at a potential signing, have a look at some DVDs of his games at Plymouth this season, maybe even send the scouts and have a look myself, then come to a decision. He does have that little bit of magic in him that we have been missing this season and I'd certainly rather see him on the bench ahead of Fowler and maybe even on the right wing instead of Derbs.

• 4 months later...

Gallagher has scored 13 league goals in 34 starts for the Pilgrims this term but he will be recalled to Blackburn along with midfielder Alan Judge for the team's final three fixtures when the Championship season comes to a close.

On-loan Blackburn striker Paul Gallagher will return to Ewood Park for the first time in almost two years after being frozen out of manager Sam Allardyce's plans.

LET: Rovers have confirmed that on-loan Plymouth striker Paul Gallagher will not be eligible for the last few Premier League games – despite the Championship season ending three weeks earlier.

What i've heard about Gally is hes too weak and timid on the pitch, lacks courage and can bottle out of a challenge, plus he lacks that key commodity pace, yet is blessed with a very high level of skill especially when it comes to putting the ball in the net.

Its a pity he doesnt tick more boxes then he would definitely be in the first team squad you cant fault the club for giving him time to mature they have showed Gally more patience than probably any other footballer other than Mat Jansen.

I've been keeping an eye on how Plymouth are receiving Gally. To sum up what I've read from the fans:

(1) Gally is technically gifted and in that sense, their best player

(2) He scored frequently and spectacularly early in the season but has since not been so prolific.

(3) His work-rate and general application can be suspect

(4) Sturrock has moved him to the left wing since the goals dried up. Plymouth now play with two strikers who were very recently playing non-league football.

(5) He has been outshone by Alan Judge since Plymouth signed him.

Which basically tells me that he is still the flawed talent which will unlikely to ever be a real Premier League talent. Perhaps, he could play a squad role - but I'd sell him if we could get good money. I'd be much more interested to see Judge involved.

I've been keeping an eye on how Plymouth are receiving Gally. To sum up what I've read from the fans:

(1) Gally is technically gifted and in that sense, their best player

(2) He scored frequently and spectacularly early in the season but has since not been so prolific.

(3) His work-rate and general application can be suspect

(4) Sturrock has moved him to the left wing since the goals dried up. Plymouth now play with two strikers who were very recently playing non-league football.

(5) He has been outshone by Alan Judge since Plymouth signed him.

Which basically tells me that he is still the flawed talent which will unlikely to ever be a real Premier League talent. Perhaps, he could play a squad role - but I'd sell him if we could get good money. I'd be much more interested to see Judge involved.

It also tells me that Sturrock is a crap manager who isn't getting the best out of him.

(Sorry, 6, had to get the Sturrock reference in there.)

You're probably right there, American.

Just to save Allardyce some time, Plymouth fans' opinions on Gallagher:

"Galagher , you may think youre a premiership player , but you arent. There is more to it than showboating"

"Over the last 2 months of this season, Gallagher has been atrocious."

"I thought Gally had a half decent game but his effort is questionable at times."

"Quite why Gallagher was allowed to end the game after putting no effort in for the last three games amazes me."

He scored some crucial goals but ultimately leaves have dissatisfied Argyle fans with his effort and consistency.

I therefore see no reason why Allardyce should bother trying to change his habit of a lifetime. Move on.

You're probably right there, American.

Just to save Allardyce some time, Plymouth fans' opinions on Gallagher:

He scored some crucial goals but ultimately leaves have dissatisfied Argyle fans with his effort and consistency.

I therefore see no reason why Allardyce should bother trying to change his habit of a lifetime. Move on.

He'll surely be sold just as soon as we can find someone to buy him. I certainly hope so because Premiership player he is not.

• Backroom

Too right gumboots, the chants for Gallagher at the spurs game were madness, he never has been or never will be top flight standard.

Lazy and average with an ego twice the size of his abilities should allow.

Unlike Gallagher, Bentley's transformation from teenager to young man did not involve the adoption of much immobilising bulk and lethargy. A waste but there's not point dwelling. We'll be lucky to get any money for Gallagher as the Champ clubs seem to have found him out. Plymouth will want him but not for big money.

Plymouth fan here, joined a while back to see what you lot thought of Gally, thought I'd pop back to let you know what I thought of him (and Judge). Gallagher started the season well, playing up front. He scored several goals and put in several excellent performances, most notably against Cardiff. This led to rumours that he would be recalled in January. When it became clear that we wasn't going back to Blackburn it seemed to really affect him. He was really poor for a couple of months, he just didn't seem to care, he looked really lazy. He was moved out to the wing, which didn't help, he has said in several interviews he doesn't like playing there. His form picked up for the last couple of months, scoring five goals in four games which played a major part in our survival although I think he only put in the effort to get noticed by a better side than ourselves. The last few games he was back to his worst, he just didn't seem bothered. I don't think he is Premiership quality, he is talented but he tries to do too much on his own, he's not quite quick enough and doesn't have the best attitude. I think the Championship is probably his level. I'd be quite happy if he signed permanently, I think if he was settled here he could be very useful, however whether we could afford him or not really depends on what happens with our potential takeover.

Alan Judge is a much better prospect. He is as talented as Gally, if not more so but he gives his all every game. He's been out on the wing and has been superb. From what I've seen he's good enough for the Premier League. In the second half of the season he was our main attacking threat and scored a lovely goal against Coventry and anpther against Burnley.

To sum up, Gally and Judge were without doubt the most talented players in our otherwise very poor team, without them we would have gone down. Judge is worth keeping, Gallagher would be if he had a better attitude. He should be sold to a Championship side, at 24 years old, he's not going to make it now.

anyone know who is better? judge or doran?

every time i've seen doran this year, he's been a bright spark. he has pace to burn, can cross and creative. he seems to have a big potential... he plays alot like duffy, taking players on every time and beating them with pace.

• 1 month later...

Of course he isn't Roque's replacement, Sam is no Ince. ;)

I'm quite glad Gally will get at least another look before we ship him out. He has always had ability, he just needs the right manager I feel... Make him work hard and believe in himself without getting arrogant and unprofessional, which seemed to happen to Sergio Peter.

• Backroom

I have no problem with Gally being given another chance, though I suspect it is as much down to the interested clubs not willing to pay a decent fee as it is Gally's potential ability. He's a good squad player to have, regardless, and hopefully he can either flourish with a bit of confidence or we can get a decent profit for him in the near-future.

I have no problem with Gally being given another chance, though I suspect it is as much down to the interested clubs not willing to pay a decent fee as it is Gally's potential ability. He's a good squad player to have, regardless, and hopefully he can either flourish with a bit of confidence or we can get a decent profit for him in the near-future.

Well, I have a problem with it. How many chances does this guy deserve. He's been given chances (and don't give me the out of position stuff because if he was any good he'd take whatever chance he was given and make the most of it) and not done well enough so we've loaned him out where he's flattered to deceive. Why are we wasting good money we don't have to waste on paying him? He's not good enough and at his age never will be for a premier league team. Please someone actually cough up a bit of cash and take him off our hands.

Oh for God's sake, why is Gallagher STILL at this club? I'd bet my house he won't be part of the first team next season, I doubt he'll ever make it out of the reserves.

Don't get me wrong, I thought he looked a good player when he originally broke into the first team set-up, but that was five seasons ago now. Since then he's had numerous opportunities at Rovers and two seasons out on loan in the Championship and he hasn't overly impressed at any club he's been at.

While there's no harm in Sam making his own mind up, it would appear that it's time to cut the cord and get rid.

• Backroom
Well, I have a problem with it. How many chances does this guy deserve. He's been given chances (and don't give me the out of position stuff because if he was any good he'd take whatever chance he was given and make the most of it) and not done well enough so we've loaned him out where he's flattered to deceive. Why are we wasting good money we don't have to waste on paying him? He's not good enough and at his age never will be for a premier league team. Please someone actually cough up a bit of cash and take him off our hands.

Problem is, it doesn't seem like anyone is coughing up any money for him. The best way to get him off our hands is to give him a few matches here and there in the Premier League (even as a sub) and hope he catches the eye of a few teams abroad or otherwise that might want to make a permanent move. Otherwise we'll just have to let his contract run down and let him go for nothing.

What I find biazarre abput it is that Gallagher must know that with his attitude he is throwing what could be a decent career away. He has talent, probably more to be brutually honest than the likes of Derbyshire and Dunn.

In order to succeed he needs to start covering more ground, bulk up a bit and find some room on the pitch. But he must have known this for years and just hasn't bothered. Maybe coming to the end of his contract will refocus his mind a bit?

Encouraging to hear Judge is even better and has the right attitude.

It would be nice if the likes of Gallagher, Hoilett, Judge, Olsson and Doran could make an impact next year. It would give the side a bit of youth. And with all the outgoings we actually will probably need them to flesh out our squad...

Archived