BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bring Back Gally

PAFELL

sadly gally is not good enough at prem level, he has found his level in the championship. He has had enough chances at Rovers, but has not taken any of them. Pointless bringing him back, just sell him and try and get a bit of money for him SAM!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I find biazarre abput it is that Gallagher must know that with his attitude he is throwing what could be a decent career away. He has talent, probably more to be brutually honest than the likes of Derbyshire and Dunn.

I agree that Gallagher has talent, but you have to remember that Dunn was one of the hottest properties around when he was younger (remember the solo under 21 goal, the Arsenal double etc), it's just that injuries and a few nights out have restricted his career. Gallagher isn't a patch on Dunny. For Dunn and Jansen to name just two it's a case of what might have been.

More talent than David Dunn?!

I would say so personally. Better technique, better eye for a pass, better shot. Not as good dribbling abitlity, not as mobile, much less physical strenth. I really honestly think Gallgher is extremely good technical footballer, but equally is an extremely poor athelete and has a poor attitude.

:rover: glad to see gally given his chance,i'm sure he will have come on as a player whilst playing in the coca cola.lets hope he gets a run in the team,can't be any worse than the axe :unsure::brfcsmilie:

i think we say that every year with Gally don't we? He is not good enough end off

Very suprised that we've let Derbs go and given Gally another chance. Ok it might be financial, but Derbs is younger and has had much more of an impact in the prem then Gally. Gally's also unlikely to improve any more and hasn't been setting the championship alight. To me he's just a drain on the wage bill these days.

Reflecting on this, it's a huge shame as he had real potential as a youngster. As others have said his shooting was good but so was his passing which added another dimension to his game. It was make or break time a few years ago imo, and it's a mark against rovers development team - be it youth, reserves, or first team that Gally hasn't established himself as a squad player.

Very suprised that we've let Derbs go and given Gally another chance. Ok it might be financial,

Not necessesarily bb. More like SA's seen enough of Derbs to know that he cannot cut it at Prem level but he's seen nothing of Gallagher and that it would be stupid to get rid of a talent cheaply that he might be able to dvelop / utilise. Sam's history of making do at poor clubs means that he is not wet behind the ears in these issues.

he's seen nothing of Gallagher and that it would be stupid to get rid of a talent cheaply that he might be able to dvelop / utilise.

That makes sense, and I certaily see SA as a very thorough individual, but I just cannot see hoow Gally would fit in to our system. Aside from the fact he's not looked good enough over the past couple of seasons, he's not the big type of striker Sam wants/favours, and his athletic ability lets him down for a midfield berth where sam seems to favour hard work.

i think we say that every year with Gally don't we? He is not good enough end off

He is, or at least he should be. The lad has a load of talent although I concede that it's well past the time that he should have discovered how to utlilise it. I am surprised (pleasantly) that he has been given another chance as he dosn't seem an Alardyce type.

He is, or at least he should be. The lad has a load of talent although I concede that it's well past the time that he should have discovered how to utlilise it. I am surprised (pleasantly) that he has been given another chance as he dosn't seem an Alardyce type.

a lot of people can have talent like skills e.t.c, but if the rest of his game is poor, whats the point. He's had his chance and not taken it. Even a good man manager like Sam will struggle to make him a better player now. HIS LEVEL HIS CHAMPIONSHIP OR SPL

a lot of people can have talent like skills e.t.c, but if the rest of his game is poor, whats the point. He's had his chance and not taken it. Even a good man manager like Sam will struggle to make him a better player now. HIS LEVEL HIS CHAMPIONSHIP OR SPL

I'd rather let Allardyce decide that rather than you. If no one is going to pay for him what is the harm? Did he nick your girlfriend or something?

Interesting comments by Sam on the official site on Gally:

Big Sam throws down the gauntlet

"The Rovers chief said: "It's down to Paul. He had one of the brightest futures of any young player at Blackburn Rovers many years ago under Graeme Souness.

"I remember him playing up front with Jon Stead and thinking 'Wow! What a partnership that is going to be for many years to come', but it hasn't materialised.

"There is only one person who can change that, and that is Paul himself."

====

Sounds like Sam has been a long term admirer of his.

It would be great if Gallagher could turn things around this season. As Sam says, he has the technical ability but he's lost his way over the years.

That's right. It's easy to underestimate how much the mental attributes and the personality of a player will determine his progress. Gally and McEvely both had the potential to being a top player, but lacked the hunger and motivation to take the next step. Tiny Taylor also never reaches his potential due to his personality couldn't produce the aggression needed as a centre-back (although some might disagree after his Eduardo tackle).

Derbyshire seems to be the opposite. His progression from Great Harwood to Champion League football shows the hunger and focus needed to maximize the potential.

Gally has the ability, but changing a person's mentality is very hard. It's nice he's been givien a second chance. Somethimes people grow (like Andrews), and let's hope he makes the most of it.

there have been some encouraging messages coming out of Ewood in recent days, but then there's this. I've asked before and I'll ask again - how many chances does this particular guy get? He has shown time and again when given the chance that he is not effective at Premier league level. I don't say not good enough because obviously, judging by the number of managers who have taken a chance on him, he should be. However, time and again he does not deliver. If he's to be any part of the answer to our currrent lack of strikers then I think we're deeper in the mire than we were last season.

there have been some encouraging messages coming out of Ewood in recent days, but then there's this. I've asked before and I'll ask again - how many chances does this particular guy get? He has shown time and again when given the chance that he is not effective at Premier league level. I don't say not good enough because obviously, judging by the number of managers who have taken a chance on him, he should be. However, time and again he does not deliver. If he's to be any part of the answer to our currrent lack of strikers then I think we're deeper in the mire than we were last season.

I'm hoping that Sam's arrogance may be a factor here, e.g. trying to straighten Barton out. If he believes Gally can be a player, he will NOT want to be proven wrong. That being the case, it's a bold statement on the official site and hopefully a good sign.

I'm sure this will be his LAST chance.

Agree with gumboots to a degree, he has had plenty of chances. Good to see Sam giving players chances though, its now up to him to take it. Im to be convinced too! Here's hoping he pulls his finger out.

Impressed with Sam's man management here: praise the guy, let him know you think he can achieve...then challenge him to show you are right. Maybe Sam can bring the best out of him. Undoubtedly the lad has talent, technically good and can spot..and make...clever passes. Never really understood why he's not been tried in a Tugay type role sitting slightly deeper and spreading the play or hitting space further forward. There his lack of speed and physicality might not matter so much. He's no Tugay but he can spot a pass better than many other options we have. I for one would like to see him succeed, we've precious little else to show for our youth development programme.

Souey and Sparky both commented that he was one of the most technically gifted players at the club. He has been told in black and white the situation - lets see if he takes his final chance.

Interesting comments by Sam on the official site on Gally:

Big Sam throws down the gauntlet

"The Rovers chief said: "It's down to Paul. He had one of the brightest futures of any young player at Blackburn Rovers many years ago under Graeme Souness.

"I remember him playing up front with Jon Stead and thinking 'Wow! What a partnership that is going to be for many years to come', but it hasn't materialised.

"There is only one person who can change that, and that is Paul himself."

====

Sounds like Sam has been a long term admirer of his.

I remember the "experts" at Talksport saying exactly the same at the time. Happen Sam is going to resign John Stead and give them another go.

Paul is talented with his feet but he is not at the races mentally. If Sam can sort him out pschyology speaking then maybe Rovers could have a player of the King Carlos variety but this has to be the Last chance for Paul.

It is clear that this last chance is only due to that nobody is willing to pay the money being asked for him.

Archived