BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Graeme Souness

Stuart

Hello All

Just thought I would make by bi-annual post as something as thought provoker, conspiracy theory....call it what you will. If nothing else it might perhaps cause us to break from the obvious doom and gloom of the relegation quagmire. This is perhaps the feeble ramblings of a man with too much time on his hands but, perhaps, will have some substance....who knows???

We are, as we are all too sadly aware, in very real trouble. On the pitch things could not be much worse....we have a manager who, perhaps sadly, needs to move on to pastures of a more Championship kind and a coaching staff that need to either go with him or enroll on the SAGA Summer Program either in a professional capacity or, in the case of Methuzelah Mathias, socially! Off the pitch despair is ever-growing. We are up for sale and nobody wants us......the Arabs wanted Charlton more than us and, at this rate, overseas investment will be heading towards York City before it makes its way to Ewood. I am beginning to think the only foreign money making its way to our beloved club is in the form of the dodgy drachmas that find there way into the vending machines as a replacement to 10p pieces!! No sooner do we hear 'whispers' of ex-patriot Rovers fans wanting to buy the club than these rumours are quashed with cries of 'over-priced', 'not worth the money' etc. WE ARE A PREMIER LEAGUE CLUB!!!! Our 'value'...approximately £40m - £60 million is only on a par with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Watford and yet, unlike them we have been a Premier League regular (next season perhaps an exception but you never know).

OK....this leads me to a 'theory' based on an over-active imagination or spending too long in the loo without a decent book to read! I remember that Souness was recently rumoured to be the 'head' of a consortium looking to buy a club. If I remember correctly the club was Southampton but I am more than happy to be corrected on that. Regardless, it appeared to me at the time to be a Quinn/Sunderland...esque scenario with Souness being the footballing 'face' of the buyers. As with Sunderland I believe these potential investors were not multi-billionaire arabs or Russians with oil wells in the herbacious borders but, instead, a group of UK businessmen with a genuine desire to get involved in top-flight football. Their Sunderland counterparts have certainly put their oney where their mouth is, giving £80 million to Keane during his 18month reign.....who says it is only foreigners who are prepared to spend the big bucks?? Anyway I digress. IF Souness WAS looking to buy a club......perhaps he still IS and still has the backing of his financial 'muscle'. Surely if he was to return in a managerial role this would only add to his obvious love for our club.....didn't Quinn start as manager after taking over the club aswell??? I think so.

Anyway, in a nut shell it occurred to me that perhaps we could be looking for a manager and a buyer in one interview.....you never know.

I hope this thread will give you the opportunity to throw some more conspiracy or half-baked ideas around in a more 'open' forum. There are no put-downs here. Anything and everything is acceptable AS LONG as you back it up with tenuous evidence.!!

An interesting theory. Two birds - one stone? It would depend on whether the backers could meet the Trustees requirements. And whether they could meet the price?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're talking short term here Gav - the point of getting Souness is that he'd be on a 6 month deal and we can look at it again in the Summer without being tied in.

How is that short-term when in reality if he did well initially then he would be given longer to mess us up?

Souness is not the answer. Thanks for the memories but let us leave them there and get BFS in.

Dunn would leave unless both decided to put their past behind them

My thoughtof this would be- Does Souness do this??? and Would an apperance on the Jeremy Kyle show be possible to put their differences behind them??

Andrews won't be here for long either and players as useless as that. Backroom staff should also be good for a change.

Souness is a gamble but he will be incharge unlike Ince is at the moment

NO WAY.

Needless to say.

We wrung every last bit of change out of Souness. He's a small-minded, self-important, unintelligent demagogue. His man-management (bully tactics) might work with young guys making there way in the game (the young Dunn, Duff and Jansen) but when player's stand up to him, all is lost.

I don't like Allardyce much either. But, the options aren't diverse.

Re-reading the Berg note, it sounds like Souness didn't put up with anyone who undermined him in front of others. He's in charge and that's that. It would be interesting to see how a more mature Dunny would react to this kind of man-management. It could be a far cry from the lager-lout that was sold to Big Club.

One thing is clear, the players are not responding to the pally-pally tack of Ince. They may like the way he operates but it's not what they need. Bosses don't make good mates and mates don't make good bosses.

The idea of Souness as chairman scares the living bejesus out of me. He certainly wouldnt have the capital to keep us going as a Premier League club...or even a Championship club for that matter.

Quinn has no 'real' capital and does just fine at Sunderland. Both he and Souness (should my theory have substance) are nothing more than the football 'face' of the real money-men. I think any aspertions as to the actual wealth of Souness are irrelevant in this case

NO WAY.

Needless to say.

We wrung every last bit of change out of Souness. He's a small-minded, self-important, unintelligent demagogue. His man-management (bully tactics) might work with young guys making there way in the game (the young Dunn, Duff and Jansen) but when player's stand up to him, all is lost.

That's my point though. I don't think it did work with them. His style must have worked at some point, we did have some success with him. Or did he really just go a bit potty and completely change his style towards the end of his term?

NO WAY.

Needless to say.

That's downright slanderous to a guy that got us out of the lower leagues and won our first trophy for some time.

How is that short-term when in reality if he did well initially then he would be given longer to mess us up?

There's no guarantee if he did well he would get longer - we'd be left with the decision in our own hands and no-one elses.

Having said that, if he did keep us up would you begrudged him another 12 month? He'd have earned it.

Souness did great things in his first three seasons - promotion, cup and european qualification - but then the wheels came off, as for every good signing (e.g. Friedel) came a poor signing (Gresko, Yorke) and sooner or later that doesn't add up. Then add in falling out with players, playing then out of position etc. then it was bound to end it tears and I was glad to see the back of him but was grateful for the good times he brought.

That we are in the situation where I would gladly welcome him back is symptomatic of just how desperate out situation is.... :(

There's no guarantee if he did well he would get longer - we'd be left with the decision in our own hands and no-one elses.

I guarantee it here and now...it is the way we work. The board does not like making any change unless forced upon them and this has been evident throughout the past 8 years since Jack died.

Having said that, if he did keep us up would you begrudged him another 12 month? He'd have earned it.

Yes because he would mess us up eventually and being relegated next season might be better than this but still not something we should actively pursue.

Let us just get BFS in and make him an offer he cannot refuse. I am bemused why I even have to argue for him at this stage as the man is tailor-made for us.

Big Sam has always been my first choice for the job because of his success with Bolton. However, if the Board in their wisdom, choose to ignore Sam then I would be happy to see Graeme Souness back. Yes, I admit he lost it at the end but that was largely due to his loyalty to his underperforming backroom staff. I think it's safe to say that they wouldn't be in the picture if he returned. The only one who he might look to would be Dean Saunders, the Welsh international coach and Wrexham manager. I could see Souness working with Saunders and Tugay as a trio in the short term until the end of the season.

On the games I've seen so far, and sadly I've seen every one, if we keep Ince we might as well accept relegation now. No matter what the players might say to the local press, their performances on the pitch suggests that they have no faith in the manager. If the performance yesterday was when the players are behind the manager and fully supporting him then we are in real trouble. Ince appears unable to motivate them to dig in and give the type of battling performance that West Ham have done in holding both Liverpool and Chelsea. Big Sam or Souness would give us a fighting chance - and no more because too much damage has been done with regard to League position - of staying up.

Let us just get BFS in and make him an offer he cannot refuse. I am bemused why I even have to argue for him at this stage as the man is tailor-made for us.

He may be but he won't be coming. He got the hump after being overlooked last time so a combination of his pride and JW's embarrassment will mean it will not happen.

He may be but he won't be coming. He got the hump after being overlooked last time so a combination of his pride and JW's embarrassment will mean it will not happen.

Make him a good enough offer and he will come. The man will not turn down what is perfect for him.

Besides he has resolutely refused to rule himself out of the job so far including in his TV appearances.

Make him a good enough offer and he will come. The man will not turn down what is perfect for him.

Besides he has resolutely refused to rule himself out of the job so far including in his TV appearances.

Can't afford his backroom staff if we go down. That will be another factor praying on JW's mind.

Can't afford his backroom staff if we go down. That will be another factor praying on JW's mind.

Any crappy excuse will do eh?

If we go down....if he brings in backroom staff...if he is still annoyed about the summer...if some Facebook thickos put him off...if the fans will not go to the ground...etc etc...

We should just get the man in - in fact make sure we do - and let him do his stuff or we are down...and without a fight too.

That's downright slanderous to a guy that got us out of the lower leagues and won our first trophy for some time.

Slanderous to call Souey small-minded, unintelligent and self-important.

Well:

Steve McClaren took Boro to the UEFA cup final, domestic cup runs and occasional high-ish league finish. (dreadful manager)

Iain Dowie took Crystal Palace from the bottom of the Champ to Prem (found out in the Prem - it would seem)

Peter Reid took Sunderland to 7th in the league (a dinosaur of a manager)

Glenn Roeder took West Ham to 7th in the league (dreadful manager)

Sven got ENgland to tournaments (dreadful manager)

Conclusion? Dreadful manager's sometimes do alright or better due to the circumstances suiting them.

The is an argument that these circumstances would suit Graeme Souness but I just abhor the idea of the tash-less one returning. Gresko defensive midfield. Dominic MAtteo left wing. Garry Flitcroft contractually fixed in the first team despite his woefulness. Jon Douglas 4 year deal. Lorenzo Amoruso signed for million + and Berg dispatched. Attempts to sign Craig Moore. Suicidal management towards Yorke. Decision to sign Yorke. Grabbi.

Yes, Souey did do many good things for us but I don't want to risk him adding to the list of woeful decisions he made at Blackburn - which became alarmingly frequent towards the end of his tenure.

However, I accept that the field is limited. If it was between Souey, Sven and McClaren - I would have to go for Souey and it pains me to say that. It's like choosing between Darren Peacock, Christian Dailly and Aaron Mokoena.

He'll not be bringing The Overlord Of All Evil, Saunders, back will he? It was his fault it all went wrong last time wasn't it? Who knows, but it did go all wrong. Hughes inherited a right ramshackle outfit didn't he? Maybe it'll work this time though? I certainly don't think Graeme will be able to buy many £7m players from Serie B this time.

I'd prefer Big Sam to be honest. Surely the Board aren't still thinking about that Facebook nonsense, we'd finished top 10, had the third highest Premier League scorer, had Bentley - we were flying. It made sense not to want Sam in the Summer, we wanted someone to take us up a level. Now we need someone to keep as at the level we've been accustomed. Whatever the means.

So Sam for me, although Souness would be OK I'd hope - so long as we can get a couple of forward thinking UEFA qualified coaches in to work with him.

Exactly.

Everyone was saying "what a clown", when he left. No reason that should change. He shouldn't be a candidate

Thirded. Let's not forget his extremely dodgy transfer deals á la Redknapp, in addition to him being a dinosaur... The whole idea of a short term solution who kicks the team just above the relegation zone is really not compelling to me, can't we just have quality manager instead?

He'll not be bringing The Overlord Of All Evil, Saunders, back will he? It was his fault it all went wrong last time wasn't it? Who knows, but it did go all wrong. Hughes inherited a right ramshackle outfit didn't he? Maybe it'll work this time though? I certainly don't think Graeme will be able to buy many £7m players from Serie B this time.

I'd prefer Big Sam to be honest. Surely the Board aren't still thinking about that Facebook nonsense, we'd finished top 10, had the third highest Premier League scorer, had Bentley - we were flying. It made sense not to want Sam in the Summer, we wanted someone to take us up a level. Now we need someone to keep as at the level we've been accustomed. Whatever the means.

So Sam for me, although Souness would be OK I'd hope - so long as we can get a couple of forward thinking UEFA qualified coaches in to work with him.

That's a great post! I love that middle para. I'm sure the Board thought that way--"we've a good squad here,we can't go down, let's take a punt. If it comes off we look like geniuses, if it doesn't its not as if we could be relegated".

Archived