BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Graeme Souness

Stuart

Sam Allardyce has his own thread so as there are noises about Souness looking like coming in at Ince's expense it's probably time he had his own.

Questions:

Is he the right man in the current circumstances - particularly given how he pretty much left us here a few years ago?

What will the players reaction be? I'm thinking particularly about a certain Mr. Dunn.

Thanks to James No. 7 and Mark's posts of the following link: Berg's view

I really think it's worth reading in relation to this thread.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm completely split on Souness. I know he has the qualities to give a kick up the backside or a jolt to a team that is struggling and turn their form around. At the same time it was well publicised that he fell out with a lot of the players towards the end of his Rovers tenure.

He treads a fine line with his abrasive personality. Either the players respond in a positive manner or they just don't.

Could Souey turn us around? Yes.

Could Souey see us relegated? Yes.

We just don’t know what impact he would have on the team, that’s why I see it as a huge risk. Either it will work or it will fail spectacularly. And this is coming from someone who respects and was a fan of Souey.

Don't care what dunn thinks. He needs to think about his team this time and not about himself. He's not a kid any more. I work with lots of people I don't much like and who don't much like me but that's what being a professional is about. However, I don't really see Souness as the man for us.

This is an interesting extract from a biography on Henning Berg which is worth revisiting: Graeme of truth .

I was a fan of Souness when he was at the club, but there are question marks over the ease in which he falls out with players and his surrounding himself with "yes men". He needs to be regulated in some way, but what that exactly entails I am not quite sure. Is simply having Tugay as an assistant enough? The last thing that is needed at this time is for a player like Dunn to fall out with management, or vice-versa.

a lot of rovers fans judge souness on his last 12 months in charge rather than his previous 3 years , in which only kenny dalglish achieved more . Souness was a good manager for rovers and given our current predicament he could be a good choice , don't think how Dunny would take the news though :o

• Backroom

As I see it we can't do any worse than we are now, if we do go for Souey I'd rather remember the passion showed at the reebok that year than the last year of his contract here.

Someone made an interesting point today in that I wonder how Hughes would have done this season with the squad as it was when he left minus Bentley and Friedel. no doubt better than our current plight but how much is up for debate, as the poster (sorry forgot who) correctly said this team has been on the downfall since we lost Savages influence.

All hypothetical and off topic anyway, sorry about that.

People on here have very short memories, the guy left the club is the s**t and if he'd have stayed we'd have gone down.

His backroom staff were almost as much of a joke as the current muppets.

People on here have very short memories, the guy left the club is the s**t and if he'd have stayed we'd have gone down.

We're talking short term here Gav - the point of getting Souness is that he'd be on a 6 month deal and we can look at it again in the Summer without being tied in. Souness took us from a worse position than this when he first came in and made a short term impact. Thats all we want from him - he wont be here in 3 years to run out of steam like he did last time.

• Backroom

You're right people do have short memories, they forget he got us out of the s**t in the first place.

My best memory as a Rovers fan is that magical day in Cardiff for the Worthington Cup final (was only 7 when we won the league so it's a bit fuzzy), our last trophy, and with Souey in charge. It's been long enough now for me to forget that last half a season and just remember when he saved us.

I don't know how good Tugay would be as well but I've heard rumours of a team up with the Turk as an assistant, would be nice to see Tugay stay on here after his playing days.

Ince would fare unfavourably with Old Nick at the moment to Rovers fans. I think a more relevent poll / debate would be Souness or Allardyce?

As long as there was a third option for those of us who don't see either of them as the answer. And not Curbishley either thanks. I know I'm hard to please but this one has to be right, at least short term

One of the complaints made about Ince is that he wants to be "one of the boys" and isn't disciplinarian enough. We'd definitely get more discipline under Souness, which is apparently what this group needs.

Again, only on a short-term contract for now.

I said I would not reply until Ince was sacked but I HAVE to comment on a thread about Souness...

The man IS a legend and our most successful manager since King Kenny.

He took us from mid table in the championship to 10th in the league and a cup, followed by 6th in the league and Europe. THREE excellent years, the final two were poor years but we need someone for this season and he knows the club inside out, I would like to see a young up and coming number 2, Newell perhaps, Grayson? People who have some link to the club and are qualified

We are looking for INSTANT fix, Souness is the man for this.

Look at Newcastle, is Kinear the long term solution?

Brad, Neill, Reid, Tugay, Berkovic, Cole, rejuvinating Jansen, Dunn, Duff, Byornabye, Emerton, MGP, his record in the transfer market speaks for itself. Grabbi is the obvious exception BUT even Wenger signed Kaba Diawara, Christopher Wreh and Wiltord (£13 million)!

Archived