BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uncle Rover And His Destiny

A sound click turned the wireless off. The last dregs of his whiskey tasted ever sweeter as dreamy images of faraway Ewood floated into his welcoming mind. As Uncle Rover shuffled back to his chair his old, sadly failing, pulse suddenly quickened. It wasn't young Benni's heart racing winner. Nor the roar of the distant faithful that fluttered like sonic butterflies through the digital airwaves. No. Uncle Rover's mathematical mind behind moistened eyes was whirring.

1914. The last time the Rovers lifted the old First. 1995. Redemption after 81 years

1928. The last time the Rovers lifted the old Cup. 2009. Redemption after 81 years...?

81. His age. And 9. The magic number of the ancients. He needed no reminding that 8 and 1 equated to his ancestral calling. Nor that Allardyce had the 9 letters required. Nor Santa Cruz. 9 letters. 9 points to the Grail. Saint Cruz. Holy Blood.

It is written.

A sound click turned the wireless off. The last dregs of his whiskey tasted ever sweeter as dreamy images of faraway Ewood floated into his welcoming mind. As Uncle Rover shuffled back to his chair his old, sadly failing, pulse suddenly quickened. It wasn't young Benni's heart racing winner. Nor the roar of the distant faithful that fluttered like sonic butterflies through the digital airwaves. No. Uncle Rover's mathematical mind behind moistened eyes was whirring.

1914. The last time the Rovers lifted the old First. 1995. Redemption after 81 years

1928. The last time the Rovers lifted the old Cup. 2009. Redemption after 81 years...?

81. His age. And 9. The magic number of the ancients. He needed no reminding that 8 and 1 equated to his ancestral calling. Nor that Allardyce had the 9 letters required. Nor Santa Cruz. 9 letters. 9 points to the Grail. Saint Cruz. Holy Blood.

It is written.

Is that you Dan? I had no idea you were a Rover.

Good spot iamarover.

I expect to see the LT and various national publications running with that angle before long!

From being a kid, in the days when we were back in the old third division and when us winning the League wasn't even a possibility, it's always been my ambitition to see us walk out at Wembley for the FA Cup final. Right now, with us never having graced the new Wembley, Id settle for the semi for starters.

If you could only have one, would you take us progressing past Coventry or a win against Villa?

Whilst Premiership survival is crucial, I'd take Coventry and our chances in the remainder of the League games any day.

Whilst Premiership survival is crucial, I'd take Coventry and our chances in the remainder of the League games any day.

I would Rev, but as I have said before does it not spoil it for you with the Wembley semi (not the substantial erected arc above the stadium before anybody mentions) malarkey?

Anybody at O/T the other year I would think would surely agree here.

Despite everything the FA, Premier League and the big clubs have done to devalue the FA Cup, it's still my dream to see Rovers in the final at Wembley.

We'll probably get knocked out again by Coventry, but it's still my dream......

Same here BR , as it was to see them in the semi final ( at a neutral ground ie Villa PArk - where they always seemed to be) ala O/T against Chelski

That is why, if by any chance we do make the S/F I would probably not go and just hope we actually make it to the final ( unless it happens to be our friends from down the road).

Same here BR , as it was to see them in the semi final ( at a neutral ground ie Villa PArk - where they always seemed to be) ala O/T against Chelski

That is why, if by any chance we do make the S/F I would probably not go and just hope we actually make it to the final ( unless it happens to be our friends from down the road).

I dread to think what sort of following we'd have at Wembley if we got to the semis. Especially if it's against one of the "big four".

I dread to think what sort of following we'd have at Wembley if we got to the semis. Especially if it's against one of the "big four".

30% FA/Sponsors allocation 35% allocation to the two clubs (32,000?). I agree we would struggle to sell out that allocation.

But so what? Who cares? Yes, the media will give our little family club a hard time - do we care? At least no-one has to worry about not getting a ticket, we can all go - the whole family.

I've seen us win Promotion,the Premierleague and the League cup but before I depart this cruel world I hope to see Rovers lift that FA cup for a seventh time.

A competition that Rovers virtually made their name in.....it needs to come back home.Looking through Rovers past it becomes clear that actually winning the league title always came a poor second to lifting the FA cup.

:rover:

Nice work iamarover...you've stirred me somewhat there!

30% FA/Sponsors allocation 35% allocation to the two clubs (32,000?). I agree we would struggle to sell out that allocation.

But so what? Who cares? Yes, the media will give our little family club a hard time - do we care? At least no-one has to worry about not getting a ticket, we can all go - the whole family.

Seem to remember from our last good run that we a bigger allocation for the semi at OT than we would have had in the final.

We'll just skim over our attendance down in Cardiff for our first semi since 1960. How many of us were there for that, 18,000?

Good spot iamarover.

I expect to see the LT and various national publications running with that angle before long!

From being a kid, in the days when we were back in the old third division and when us winning the League wasn't even a possibility, it's always been my ambitition to see us walk out at Wembley for the FA Cup final. Right now, with us never having graced the new Wembley, Id settle for the semi for starters.

If you could only have one, would you take us progressing past Coventry or a win against Villa?

Revidge. We are One. Glory Glory every time. Kill the Cov and pray for Wembley. When your grandkids have nicked your whiskey, sold your baccy and laughed at your pee smelling outfit, what are you going to tell 'em? That you remember the 8 years we avoided relegation and earned lots of money..drone drone. or...

I'll tell you now of the year we won The Cup.

No contest. Thats why you are a Rover. It's why we are here. We both look at 'Honours' in the club programme and yearn for more. Bugger relegation. Bugger the threat of relegation. Carpe diem. My favourite quote from history is from Marshall Foch on the Western Front in 1916

My Right is in retreat. My Centre is folding. Situation excellent. I attack.

Death or Glory

My favourite quote from history is from Marshall Foch on the Western Front in 1916

My Right is in retreat. My Centre is folding. Situation excellent. I attack.

Death or Glory

My problem with these quotes is that the good Marshall was probably at least 20 or so miles behind the front lines under no actual possibility of harm. He doesnt attack, the poor sods in the trenches do.

Any way...its Rovers year!

Archived