BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nfl 09

Starting to worry about you Charlie

Abs - was going to mention Vick earlier. If they let him back he surely wont be in a position to start next season. Would be tremendous though, at a snip too.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the general consensus that Orton is the guy now? Thats not good news, the Broncos have to draft a QB now, remains to be seen if they can move up.

In other news, the Giants have just cut Plaxico.

I don't really mind to be honest. The man is an utter tool. However, the Giants' season collapsed last year when he was banned; they lost the massive deep threat that he provides. Before you knew it Jacobs and Ward were the go to guys on every play, and the Eagles in particular ate them up. The Giants have now lost the double receiving threats of Shockey and Burress in less than a year. Boss did well last year at TE, but Eli certainly needs a big target to go to. Toomer's a reliable receiver but the loss of a talent like Burress is a big blow for that offence.

McDaniel's offense needs someone who can throw accurately - that eliminates Vick (and probably Rex).

In defense of my stance, Grossman got the Bears to the Super Bowl, and Denver was 7-4 with Jake when he was benched (after going 39-15 overall) and have been 27-30 under Cutler, finishing that season 8-8, I believe.

I'll also say this, neither of those 2 would have let the team lay down and die like they did the last week of the season.

The Giants have now lost the double receiving threats of Shockey and Burress in less than a year.

Massive losses, both of them. They need to draft well.

McDaniel's offense needs someone who can throw accurately - that eliminates Vick (and probably Rex).

In defense of my stance, Grossman got the Bears to the Super Bowl, and Denver was 7-4 with Jake when he was benched (after going 39-15 overall) and have been 27-30 under Cutler, finishing that season 8-8, I believe.

I'll also say this, neither of those 2 would have let the team lay down and die like they did the last week of the season.

Wasn't Cutler 17-20?

You're right, but either way, 3 games under 500 right after Plummer won 2/3rds of his games.

Interesting take on Orton vs. Cutler's numbers last season:

http://www.bearsgab.com/2009/03/16/jay-cutler-a-bear/

Considering the receiving corps he had, Orton did pretty well. Also didn't realise how many INTs Jay had.

Orton is an efficient quaterback, but not a very good one if you see what I mean. He was a huge improvement over Grossman, but that basically meant that he wasn't throwing the ball straight to the other team every 4/5 attempt. He's very limited, he's the kind of guy you can have a decent season with, but you'd never win a superbowl with him. You also have to remember that with the Bears defense being a quaterback is actually a little bit easier as there's not quite as much pressure on you to be constantly stringing together long drives and piling on the points. I feel Cutler has been slightly overrated from last season, but given the Bears total lack of a quarterback for ages now and the fact that they have no other trade they could make this trade made sense for them. Realistically I think any Bears fan knew that they weren't going to draft a quarterback in the first round, so things were going to stay as they were for a couple years without this trade. Both teams may end up profiting from this if the draft picks are used well, Orton will make a decent stopgap just as he did in Chicago, but nothing more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy with the draft then guys?

Very happy with Eagles draft so far. Excited about Maclin and looks like some solid picks in the later rounds. Really like the look of Macho Harris. Good trade for Ellis Hobbs as well from the Patriots. Starting CB for two 5 round picks looks like decent business.

Very happy with the Giants draft.

Nicks and Barden provide high potential to come in and challenge for the WR role.

A few good defensive picks to mould for the a season or 2's time and a high potential QB that just fell into our hands.

I'm one of the few happy with the Denver draft. For all of those complaining about drafting a RB after signing 3, none of the 3 that were signed are starting caliber, and they got the best back in the draft. Like the 2 defensive picks afterwards, as well.

Very happy with the Giants draft.

Nicks and Barden provide high potential to come in and challenge for the WR role.

A few good defensive picks to mould for the a season or 2's time and a high potential QB that just fell into our hands.

I'm delighted with the Giants picks. Barden could be a real big time player and Nicks is obviously very talented.

I'm one of the few happy with the Denver draft. For all of those complaining about drafting a RB after signing 3, none of the 3 that were signed are starting caliber, and they got the best back in the draft. Like the 2 defensive picks afterwards, as well.

I'm with you there - a downgrade at QB leaves a need for a strong backfield, Moreno and Hillis could be just the 1-2 punch needed to keep Orton stable.

Other than that, we'll see.

I thought Hillis was very effective last year. I image it's because he's white that he's not being given a decent shot at keeping the job.

broncos draft..B-

chatted with t4e on the day jay was traded and my views was beanie wells but happy with moreno,i know its been said on here but it takes soooooooooooo much pressure off orton.......ayres looks good but ive read his injuries could be aka dunny.the others remain to be seen.

moreno -hillis is the dream team.

• 1 month later...

CANT BELIEVE BMARSH WANTS A TRADE NOW!!!!

RUMORS FLY OF BRANDON MARSHALL TO BALTIMORE

Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2009, 6:47 p.m.

As storm clouds gather (again) in Denver between the Broncos and a high profile offensive player, rumors are flying in some circles that Marshall could land in Baltimore.

Though the obvious destination would be Chicago, where Marshall’s former quarterback now resides, the Ravens have at least explored the possibility of adding a high-impact wideout during the offseason. The Bears have yet to do so. (Then again, maybe Cutler gave them a head’s up about Marshall.).

Adam Schefter reported earlier today that Marshall has asked to be traded.

Marshall likely would command at least a first-round and a third-round draft pick, due to the trade that sent Roy Williams from the Lions to the Cowboys last year.

The move also would require a contract worth $9 million or more per year.

So it would be a huge deal for anyone to do a deal for Marshall, especially in light of his past legal troubles.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to hear the breaking news overnight of the fatal shooting of Steve McNair, found dead in an apartment in Nashville yesterday.

Can't provide a link to the story as I'm on the mobile, but needless to say its all over NFL.com

Archived