BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nathan Blake

I've just been reading a web site about the best "sportsmanship" moments.

It got me thinking about Nathan Blake. I think we were playing on the south coast (Portsmouth or Plymouth) about 12-15 years ago.

Nathan was one-on-one with their keeper when the latter collapsed unconcious. It would have been easy for Nathan to walk the ball into the net but he tapped it out for a goal kick and went to see if he could help the keeper

Anyone else remember this?

I've just been reading a web site about the best "sportsmanship" moments.

It got me thinking about Nathan Blake. I think we were playing on the south coast (Portsmouth or Plymouth) about 12-15 years ago.

Nathan was one-on-one with their keeper when the latter collapsed unconcious. It would have been easy for Nathan to walk the ball into the net but he tapped it out for a goal kick and went to see if he could help the keeper

Anyone else remember this?

You sure he didnt just miss and try to cover his embarrassment? ;)

It was Flahaven for Pompey wasnt it? happened to him a few times i think

Yeah, the late Aaron Flahaven. He died in a car crash some years later.

It was a very sporting thing to do. Thanks for reminding me. Although I couldn't help laughing at the title. I was expecting more sarcasm. :D

Here I go with not much of the stories but anyway maybe someone could fill in the blanks:-

Didn't Robbie Fowler miss a penalty on purpose because he tripped in the box and the ref gave a pen? I am sure he told the ref he fell too but the ref still gave it? I cant remember who it was against.

Again I cant remember who it was against and this is on the not so sporting side but didn't Kanu walk past everyone and score as the other team waited for the ball to be kicked out? (I think Sutton might have also done that against Arsenal for us but not 100%)

Very vague I know :blush:

Di Canio catching the ball because an opposition player was injured when he could have scored must be up there. Proper character he was, football needs more players like him.

The converse to this topic could be Chris Sutton's harrassment of the Arsenal back four in the dying minutes at highbury to get the corner for Flitcrofts(?) late equaliser in 1996/1997!

I remember the Sutton incident, they put the ball out for an injured player, we threw it back but Sutton chased it immediately and forced a corner which we scored from.

The Fowler incident was against Arsenal too, he told the ref it wasn't a pen but it was given anyway, he missed it but they scored the rebound.

Flahavan also blacked out in a game against Swindon, but George Ndah wasn't quite so charitable and took full advantage.

was the kanu one againt shefield united in the cup and had to be replayed

The Stuton one against Arsenal was when we were in relegation trouble we gave the ball back and they started time wasting so sutton chased after the ball and got the corner. pure joy winding them up and picking up all the loose change they gave us.

yeah wonderful act of sportsmanship from Blake! remember it well! almost 10 years ago now since this happened away to Portsmouth!! September 1999 if i remember correctly!! Well done Nathan!

He won an award at the end of the season from the Portsmouth Supporters Club for his act of sportmanship.

The Stuton one against Arsenal was when we were in relegation trouble we gave the ball back and they started time wasting so sutton chased after the ball and got the corner. pure joy winding them up and picking up all the loose change they gave us.

Winterburn timewasting, ISTR. He had the chance to do something with the ball but was dawdling. We couldn't just wait forever!

Di Canio. People act like it was a tap in. The ball was dropping to him on the edge of the box for a tricky volley with about 6 defenders back. Fair play, though, I suspect that I'd have taken the shot...

I like the one where one team in knocking the ball back after an injury and it goes in. They then let the opposition take the goal kick and walk it in to sqaure up the fluke goal. There's youtube footage somewhere.

How odd, I only watched that very Flahavan incident last night on Nick Hancock's Footballing Nightmares and didn't even realise it was Blackburn that Portsmouth were playing against! I do wonder if Blake meant to put it out though, or whether he just missed...

Ajax accidental goal and letting opposition score...

I think there was something similar happened in one of the lower leagues happened a few years ago. can't remember who it was. When they tried to back pass and it went in. then they let them score from the kick off

The Sutton incident actually stopped us being relegated. I'm sure we only stayed up by 1 point. Remember Parkes hammering him in the press for it.

We stayed up by two points and a hugely superior goal difference.

Arsenal on the other hand missed out on the Champions League on goal difference, finishing on the same points as Newcastle due to the draw with us.

We stayed up by two points and a hugely superior goal difference.

Arsenal on the other hand missed out on the Champions League on goal difference, finishing on the same points as Newcastle due to the draw with us.

I stand corrected! Didnt realise Arsenal missed out on the champs league because of it. Splendid!

GOOD SPORT BLAKE BUT HE WAS ABSOLUTE S****E!!!!!!

we used to call him "f hell blake!" used to get in awsome posititions and then miss.

He did - abit like Roberts.

However I will never ever forget that winner at Anfield in the cup. We went mental when that one went in!! :tu:

The Arsenal one wasn't as bad as people make out. We threw them the ball but Winterburn (AKA Redundant Defensive Coach) was messing around waiting for it to go out for a goal kick. Sutton did wait initially, but then chased it down when they took too long.

Archived