BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Espn Takes The Right From Setanta?

I read somewhere that ESPN will be free for the first month, but can't for the life of me find it now, anyone else seen this?

UFC will also be exclusive to ESPN so im very tempted to subscribe now.

You'd think they'd have learned something about price points from the Setanta debacle - Need to bring it down a couple of quid a month to get the majority willing to pay.

It's already 4 quid per month cheaper than Setanta was (8 quid cheaper if you have multiroom).

And don't forget, the forerunner to Setanta, in terms of getting the extra PL games, was PPV Premiership Plus - a single game cost 8 quid, and was literally just the game. So #9 per month for at least double the amount of PL games, plus all the American Sports content isn't a bad deal.

You could prepay for a PP Season Ticket for 50 or 60 quid for 23 games, but there was absolutely no other content, the channel would only broadcast for 30 mins before and 30 mins after each game.

I think ESPN have got their pricing about right.

It's already 4 quid per month cheaper than Setanta was (8 quid cheaper if you have multiroom).

And don't forget, the forerunner to Setanta, in terms of getting the extra PL games, was PPV Premiership Plus - a single game cost 8 quid, and was literally just the game. So #9 per month for at least double the amount of PL games, plus all the American Sports content isn't a bad deal.

You could prepay for a PP Season Ticket for 50 or 60 quid for 23 games, but there was absolutely no other content, the channel would only broadcast for 30 mins before and 30 mins after each game.

No way will I pay £9 a month to watch 4 Rovers matches a year, however I had no qualms about paying £8 to watch a Rovers match. I think Premiership Plus had it right. Certainly from my perspective who will watch other matches for free but is only prepared to pay to watch my own team away games.

No way will I pay £9 a month to watch 4 Rovers matches a year, however I had no qualms about paying £8 to watch a Rovers match. I think Premiership Plus had it right. Certainly from my perspective who will watch other matches for free but is only prepared to pay to watch my own team away games.

Depends what you're after Al. We tend to watch a lot of live footy. ESPN are going to show live games from Germany, Holland, Portugal, Russia and the MLS, as well as the SPL and Premier League.

The thing is, in the US I used to have no problems paying 20 bucks for a game, but once they put them all on Fox football for a fiver a month, I haven't gone back. With the timing of the matches here, it's easier for me to pick and choose and go to the pub when I want to watch. The American content is too late for me most of the time, and I can watch a lot of it legally online for cheaper, or for free in a lot of cases. Have enjoyed ESPN America the last couple of months, but not enough to increase my sky television bill by about 20%.

I see that ch 417 has now changed to ESPN ready for the new season, Setanta Ireland has now disappeared completely but I'm still getting Liverpool and Arsenal TV that I got with my Setanta subscription, Don't know if these are free with Sky now or I'll lose thwm eventually/

I went to Ch 442 last night for a look (It usually has Ashes 2005 on or Prem goals etc) and it has changed to an HD ESPN channel now. The old 442 is now on CH429 on sky, just in case anyone else suffers the same horrible scenario.

What happens to the DD for Setanta? Do they cancel it or do you have to cancel it yourself?

I would contact your bank or use online banking if you have it and cancel it to be on the safe side, or at least to check whether they have already cancelled it. It'll be tricky getting it back if they do take any.

Another reason not to get ESPN then! :lol:

I think Setanta was only worth getting because it had a decent amount of Premier League games but I think a lot of people will be put off from ESPN due to their experiences with Setanta. Personally I won't bother with it now, I'll just stick to Sky Sports and the Internet.

Archived