BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Espn Takes The Right From Setanta?

Oh yeah could be the fact that ESPN now has coverage of Premier League and that folks in the States who have been watching Stick men and ads for Padraigh Harrington timeshare ads on Setanta may now see Brett Emerton in full 3D high def. This is massive, could be 60 inch telly time on the horizon.

Read this on the other thread and didn't want to clog it up with a new off topic discussion.

Does anyone know definitely if ESPN has premier league rights next season? If so, will they ait them in the states and split them with FSC as Setanta has done in the past few years?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows for sure.

Read this on the other thread and didn't want to clog it up with a new off topic discussion.

Does anyone know definitely if ESPN has premier league rights next season? If so, will they ait them in the states and split them with FSC as Setanta has done in the past few years?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows for sure.

ESPN only has UK rights for now. FSC and Setanta America still have the rights for the US. ESPN is getting half of GolTV's La Liga coverage though. Once the international Premier League rights are up for bid I am sure that ESPN will look to make a bigger play.

Thanks. Setanta is available in my area as I've moved into a new house at Uni, but I'm skeptical to order it as the 15 dollars a month would be a waste just to watch AFL and not the premier league as well. I guess I'll wait to make sure Setanta is a company when the season starts before I order it.

I think it was part of Setanta but is now on there on it's own. ESPN classics is also on there but not sure how you get either of them. I imagine they'll all be grouped together and available as part of a 3rd party subscription service like Setanta was.

I think it was part of Setanta but is now on there on it's own. ESPN classics is also on there but not sure how you get either of them. I imagine they'll all be grouped together and available as part of a 3rd party subscription service like Setanta was.

ESPN Classics has been on Sky for ages, well before Setanta come along.

The channel ESPN America, which used to be NASN, came with the Setanta package and is still working even though Setanta have gone bust.

ESPN will launch a new subscription channel in the UK in early August called ESPN UK.

Currently only confirmed as carried via Sky, but negotiations ongoing with other platforms. £9 per month for Sky Sports subscribers, £12 to others.

Havent they already sold it to Sky by them allowing it to be aired on sky? I dont think they are mugs like Setanta

No, they have agreed with Sky that the Sky Satellites will broadcast the channel. Would imagine thats cost ESPN a few pennies as well.

They are also not having their own cameras at the games but will be using a Sky pictures with their own commentators in a studio in London. Doesn't sound like a quality operation but it should be pretty cheap, which is where they may well survive, compared to Setanta.

Sky Satellites

That will be Astra satellites, Sky don't own any. ESPN will have paid Sky to appear in the EPG and to use their encryption.

and I believe it is Sky's cameras at ALL games and they all get beamed round the world. Local broadcasters only add their own commentary.

Nothing much has changed really apart from the carriage rights to show the games and the subscription basis.

ESPN will launch a new subscription channel in the UK in early August called ESPN UK.

Currently only confirmed as carried via Sky, but negotiations ongoing with other platforms. £9 per month for Sky Sports subscribers, £12 to others.

Is that a further replacement to NASN, or will ESPN America and ESPN UK will running side-by-side? If it is simply a rebranding of the existing channel then I can see it surviving because of the American sports it brings with it, but if it is simply a channel used to broadcast European sports then I can't see the attraction at that price.

Sales havent exactly taken off apparently so they are now reconsidering a season ticket for the premiership package. Details will be announced shortly allegedly.

It is being delayed because of the cable platforms who dont offer a season ticket package YET.

Sales havent exactly taken off apparently so they are now reconsidering a season ticket for the premiership package. Details will be announced shortly allegedly.

It is being delayed because of the cable platforms who dont offer a season ticket package YET.

There's nothing on sale yet!! How are sales supposed to "take off" if all you can do at this stage is register an interest in being emailed details of how to subscribe???

• 2 weeks later...

Subscription to ESPN is now open at espn.co.uk (or via the red button or by phoning up).

As expected, it's 9 quid a month if you already subscribe to Sky Sports. If you also have the Sky HD pack you will automatically be able to get ESPN HD on channel 443.

And if you have multiroom, the 9 quid covers both boxes (making it vastly cheaper than Setanta, for which we were paying #17 per month to get it on both boxes).

ESPN America on channel 417 will be rebranded to ESPN on August 3rd, and if you haven't subscribed you will lose it on that date.

It is looking like a pretty good channel if you ask me - Premierleague footy, baseball and ice hockey. Just need them to add a bit of Bundesliga, Italian footy and NRL and it'll be almost a perfect channel!

Archived