SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Manager 2010

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Old tactics system?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I know what you mean. The classic tactics system does work better for me, yes. I spent a while on the last version working out what the sliders do, so now I can tweak my tactics exactly how I want them to be. I find with the new tactics system there are certain things that aren't accounted for. It makes the game easier to an extent but I found it a little limiting. I've had plenty of continued success just using the old system and continue to do so, just beat Stoke 7-0 in the charity shield :)

Old tactics system?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I know what you mean. The classic tactics system does work better for me, yes. I spent a while on the last version working out what the sliders do, so now I can tweak my tactics exactly how I want them to be. I find with the new tactics system there are certain things that aren't accounted for. It makes the game easier to an extent but I found it a little limiting. I've had plenty of continued success just using the old system and continue to do so, just beat Stoke 7-0 in the charity shield :)

Sorry Classic system. I've started using the new one now as I assume the classic system will be phased out? But it does have limitations, I do miss the back-wards arrows so I can have my wingers drop back into midfield when we are not in posession.

7-0 good way to start the season, here's hoping you retain your crown!! Good luck in the champions league.

• Backroom

I'm hoping they'll keep the Classic tactics system in the background like in this version - or at least meld the two systems together so that the limitations of the new system are balanced out by elements of the Classic system. I'd be quite disappointed if they got rid of it, as I've only just gotten used to how everything works in the old system!

Thanks, I've got a tough Champs League group... but i've got the current champions Inter in my group so as long as I qualify it means I can't get them in the first round :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have just started a new game. Played my old one for eight seasons and won it all with Rovers but eventually got bored. Have now used the editor to give us the team we would have if we were not forced to sell our best players. So I have Bentley, Sant cruz, Bellamy and Warnock back in there and the teams is awsome. 5 points clear at Christmas, makes you think would could have been.

• Backroom

Have just started a new game. Played my old one for eight seasons and won it all with Rovers but eventually got bored. Have now used the editor to give us the team we would have if we were not forced to sell our best players. So I have Bentley, Sant cruz, Bellamy and Warnock back in there and the teams is awsome. 5 points clear at Christmas, makes you think would could have been.

You won it all with Rovers, got bored, and so decided to make the team even better at the beginning and play again? :D

For anyone who hasn't tried it and is looking for a new game on FM2010 one thing that can be fun is to go into the Editor and in the option menu there is an option to remove contracts for all Players which releases every player from their club and makes them all available on a free transfer.

Can be quite fun building your own dream team, unfortunately the AI managers aren't as good as filling up their squads very quickly so it can be relatively simple.

If you want to make the game difficult then make a simple rule up.....like you can only sign players that your scouts find.

Or perhaps in editor change your bank balance to 0 and make everyone else in the league have a positive budget of say £100m!

Im still playing my Notts Forest game....think im into my 8th or 9th season as a manager

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting up a new game and i won't be doing the usual Rovers career and looking to start a save in Italy. Genoa is the likely club. They have some decent finances, loads of young talented players in the side and haven't achieved much for a long time. They were set up by an Englishman in the 1890's, so what better to take them back to glory than an Englishman :lol:

Think i might do what you have been doing on your recent save Hughesy, ignoring the usual names and using the scouting networks to find the right players for my system. Also might continue the solid base of youth at the club by signing only young players.

Im going to quit my Forrest role at the end of the season - think im in either my 5th or 6th season. Last season won League, Cup & Champs league, this season won Charity shield, world club champs, currently in latter stages of most comps & top of the league on goal difference but with 4 games in hand.

Time to move on - Forrest are now minted - worth approx £255m, maximum stadium they will allow me - with ST's sold out - A quality team, full of youth & wonderkid type players, no debt & over £130m in the bank by the end of the season!! New Challenge needed!! Will be another English side though i think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

I can run FM2010 absolutely fine on my current laptop which is 4 years old. It's got a dual-core processor @ 1.6Ghz and only 1GB RAM. The only thing I can't do is view matches in 3D as the graphics aren't supported and cause the game to crash.

Cool, thanks for the info. I might upgrade to FM 2010, as my trusty FM 2008 is in a box somewhere in the garage. I presume its one that is a complete overhaul of FM 2008, and not just a bit of an update.

Just one thing, can you switch the 3D off and watch the match in the old fashioned 2D with the circles.

• 3 weeks later...

So have been playing for a few days and guess what...I am addicted again. never thought I would be after the shambles of 08 & 09 but I am.

Started out with Limerick FC (a lowely semi-pro team in the Irish first division (a league two/blue square team)). I made all of my players full time and the same with my staff, much to the horror of the clubs wage budget. Adjusted the wage/transfer budget to 0 for the transfer and all the money for the wages so they would get off my back. Had a good first season, managed to get to semi final of Munster Senior Cup. And secured a playoff place. Won the playoff, but then had to play a team in the premier division to gain access to the IPD. I beat them 2-0 in first leg, only to be beaten 4-3 in the 2nd leg on agg.

The next season saw us start badly but after a few matches got back into a stride and remained in the top three for the rest of the season. Even got to the League cup final, which we beat Sligo Rovers on the way (didnt expect to beat them) but lost to St Pats Athletic in the final. With only a few games to go Cork City (our main rivals) were 7 points ahead and we were only scraping wins, so I decided to be a little bit naughty and before each of their matches, praised the opposition managers which in turn lead to Cork (who had sacked their manager(who was doing a good job) and hired a new one before the season finished) losing their last few remaining matches. So it came down to the last match where a loss or draw and a Cork win would see us finish 2nd and have to go through the playoffs again. Started off last match with an early goal only to concede a goal early in the 2nd half (much to my annoyance). I still didnt know the outcome of the Cork match (too afraid to look) and low and behold we scored what was to be the most pleasing goal of the whole season. Match ended, went to the league screen and we crowned first division champions.

Now towards the end of the season, Limerick offered me a new contract, i turned it down because I expected a better offer, as I expected to win the Premier Division and if i did I would ask again for a contract which I did. When the season ended, I asked and they got back saying they would offer me one soon. So as I waited (not too long) Blackpool offered me a contract (much better wage) bigger transfer budget and bigger wage budget) I gladly accepted it.

They were 19th in League one when I took over, sacked most of the backroom staff, brought in better physio, better coaches and better scouts and much better ass man. Set up with the Tugs training and a tactic I modded that I had downloaded. So far I have played three matches and as the table is quite close, we have won 3 from 3 and are now most likely to be promoted and lying happily in 8th. Phil Jones is on loan and is performing well.

Blackburn are lying in 13th in the Premier Division and through to League cup semi (next opponent is Chelsea). Sam is still in charge.

I think this has been the longest post I have ever written, enjoy!!

BTW: Have started having press conferences in my head again - nothing like Football Manager! :D

Bought FM10 on the cheap as the new one will be out in a few months. Just finished my first season with Rovers. Finished 11th in the league and managed to win the FA cup, beating both Man Utd and Liverpool on penalties.

Not a bad start but John Williams has just sold Samba without my say for a measly £5.5m to Seville. Not happy.

• Backroom

That's harsh, I've never had JW interfere by forcing me to sell a player (certainly not for that low, anyway!). In fact, in my first season as Blackburn in a previous game I rejected a 11.5M bid from Spurs for him in the second season.

Archived