SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Gallagher - Gone

mark

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undisclosed, though someone posted this on 606:

"He signed yesterday for them for a fee of £900k with performance add ons which could rise to 1.2 million.

He was sold to create funds for Salgardos wages! All the best Gally, hope you, Hayley and Maddison settle in to your new club."

Sounds about right as he is in his last year of his contract.

Seems like we will get nothing more in terms of funds. If we are going to sign a midfielder we will need to sell Warnock.

I would be tempted to leave the squad as it is now provided Salgado can actually do a job in midfield. If we get Dunn, Reid, Emerton and Grella back - or even just two of them - we will be reasonably solid.

Can someone please explain to me when did Gally started being an option for central midfield?

I was thinking the same. Gally was a striker that had been asked to play here there and everywhere because we had a need. He showed little ability to do any of those roles to premier league standard. If he did have then I am sure a premier league team would have signed him, Hull for one are desperate for a striker.

Just seems to me that with such limited funds you should prioritise on certain areas first, our weakest area is the central midfield and apart from N'zonzi we haven't really strengthened in that department. We don't know if Salgado can do a job there, he has played right back on most occasions for a reason. If Reidy, Dunny and Grella keep getting injuries and Andrews continues to play rubbish then i can see us struggle to achieve a top half finish.

Disappointed that in my opinion the weaknesses that have been there for the past 2-3 seasons haven’t been fixed.

I agree with the above and really do hope that the Gally money will be used to strengthen this area...I didnt see Gally playing (well) there anyway so dont think we have lost one from there but certainly adding one or two should be a priority!

I'm not too fussed either way. I thought he was an option, with the deficiency of our midfield, but he's had enough chances to prove himself. Hopefully this cash would be put towards a new attacking midfielder, but what are the chances of THAT?

disgrace letting a good local lad go for someone like Grella and Andrews to still be here....scandal. He was never given a run of games.

Andrews stays fit, scored some vital goals and puts plenty of effor it. Why is it a disgrace?

He has played over 100 games for different clubs at a lower level and has not done enough to convince the staff that he can make the step up.

He was rumored to be on £20K a season! That is a disgrace, what he has done in the last FOUR seasons to deserve that wage? Andrews is on no where near that and at least tried on the pitch, Grella- well the jury is out but lets just when he plays a number of consecutive games for us.

Correct - Agree with the above.

Good news for me.

He had several opportunities, under diferent managers and was always loaned.

He is 25 now and it's time for him to move on.

Wish him the best...

Amen to that.

:huh: poor decision to sell gally,i would have got rid of roberts,still more money for lardarse to waste :huh:

:lol: Waste? Who has Sam Wasted money on so far then??

We probably only have 2 players we can seriously take into consideration - Givet & Diouf, both of which made a big impact last season.............................??? <_<

Somerset - he was on around 20k a week. I can tell you for a certain fact, he was on £16k, and that was prior to his new contract............

disgrace letting a good local lad go for someone like Grella and Andrews to still be here....scandal. He was never given a run of games.

Oh great he is local lets play him. Maybe if Paul pulled his finger out his arse in training he would get a game. Every manager says he has the ability, so why doesnt he work on other aspects? Because hes lazy, and happy to pick up a pay day. If he was from Romania you would hate him.

I know what your saying Shillito, i agree it will probably come to nothing. But hopefully he finds focus, hits form and then gets a bigger money move, which we profit from!

The1mattjansen - how much you willing to stake on it?!

Oh great he is local lets play him. Maybe if Paul pulled his finger out his arse in training he would get a game. Every manager says he has the ability, so why doesnt he work on other aspects? Because hes lazy, and happy to pick up a pay day. If he was from Romania you would hate him.

:lol: This guy sums it up perfectly!!

Somerset - he was on around 20k a week. I can tell you for a certain fact, he was on £16k, and that was prior to his new contract............

If this is the case then good riddance.

20k per week for a player of Gallagher's use is laughable really. We need to get stricter when 'rewarding' our players with contracts.

We've spent money on his development since he was a kid, so maybe it's the club who haven't made it work....as far as I'm concerned I can't remember Gally having the opportunities that other players have had...i.e..Mokoena, Reid, Grella, Andrews, Dunn(who, lets face it, hasn't had a good game for rovers for years)...I personally rate Gally better then the lot of em....Poor management for not bringing him on properly.....

Just because he wasn't a Hughes, Allardyce, Souness signing, he didn't get a look in....

Guest ErinBrown
Can someone please explain to me when did Gally started being an option for central midfield?

July 2003, January 2007 and August 2008.

We've spent money on his development since he was a kid, so maybe it's the club who haven't made it work....as far as I'm concerned I can't remember Gally having the opportunities that other players have had...i.e..Mokoena, Reid, Grella, Andrews, Dunn(who, lets face it, hasn't had a good game for rovers for years)...I personally rate Gally better then the lot of em....Poor management for not bringing him on properly.....

Just because he wasn't a Hughes, Allardyce, Souness signing, he didn't get a look in....

This is one of the most stubbornly naive statements I have read on this board in quite some time. You are suggesting four consecutive managers neglected him purely on the basis they didn't sign him? And your basis for him being a better midfielder than all our current lineup is based on.....what exactly? When has he ever played there?

Wow lots of negative people around today.. Gally was not good enough for Plymouth/Stoke/Preston but you think he is good enough for Rovers??..

Nicko do you envisage this sale as freeing up funds for a very cheap mid player? Seems odd to sell him when we just had to play him due to injuries.

This is one of the most stubbornly naive statements I have read on this board in quite some time. You are suggesting four consecutive managers neglected him purely on the basis they didn't sign him? And your basis for him being a better midfielder than all our current lineup is based on.....what exactly? When has he ever played there?

All I'm saying is that he never had the chances others had....Ok, Mokoena wasn't our first choice central midfielder, but he sure managed to get on as a sub more than I liked....My argument is that instead of Mokoena being the replacement for Tugay etc....why couldn't it have been Gally....A far better player....then he might have grown into a better prem player..

Wait a minute, all of the players you've listed are recognized centre midfielders, some signed for big money. Gallagher has played his whole career to date as a forward, sometimes being played out wide. Also, if I remember rightly, it was Souness who first brought Gallagher into the first team set up, gave him his debut and then a prolonged run in the team. Hughes gave him several opportunities and then loaned him out to three seperate Championshop clubs, none of which were sufficiently impressed to stump up the cash to buy him.

Finally, to suggest he's even in the same league as David Dunn is crazy. I'll admit, he's probably a better than Andrews, but that isn't saying much. Meanwhile, Gallagher and Reid, Grella and Mokoena are completely different players. If you're gonna cite reasons for his not making the grade, it's because our forwards were keeping him out of the side, forwards including Dickov, Kuqi, Stead, Roberts and Derbyshire - which speaks volumes about his level of ability.

If ever there was an instance of a fan being overly sentimental because a local lad didn't make the grade, it is this.

EDIT: sorry Ricky, only just seen your post.

QUOTE (Sparky Marky @ Aug 21 2009, 13:03 )

Wait a minute, all of the players you've listed are recognized centre midfielders, some signed for big money. As far as I'm aware, Gallagher has played his whole career to date as a forward, sometimes being played out wide. Also, if I remember rightly, it was Souness who first brought Gallagher into the first team set up, gave him his debut and then a prolonged run in the team. Hughes gave him several opportunities and then loaned him out to three seperate Championshop clubs, none of which were sufficiently impressed to stump up the cash to buy him.

Finally, to suggest he's even in the same league as David Dunn is crazy. I'll admit, he's probably a better than Andrews, but that isn't saying much. Meanwhile, Gallagher and Reid, Grella and Mokoena are completely different players. If you're gonna cite reasons for his not making the grade, it's because our forwards were keeping him out of the side, forwards including Dickov, Kuqi, Stead, Roberts and Derbyshire - which speaks volumes about his level of ability.

If ever there was an instance of a fan being overly sentimental because a local lad didn't make the grade, it is this.

QUOTE (Sparky Marky @ Aug 21 2009, 13:03 )

Wait a minute, all of the players you've listed are recognized centre midfielders, some signed for big money. As far as I'm aware, Gallagher has played his whole career to date as a forward, sometimes being played out wide. Also, if I remember rightly, it was Souness who first brought Gallagher into the first team set up, gave him his debut and then a prolonged run in the team. Hughes gave him several opportunities and then loaned him out to three seperate Championshop clubs, none of which were sufficiently impressed to stump up the cash to buy him.

Spot on.

People are getting too sentimental here,everybody wants to see the local boy do good.Nothing wrong in that but it is seriously clouding people`s judgement.Gally is nowhere near good enough for Rovers and it is no coincidence that 19 other managers in the top flight don`t think he is good enough either especially in a transfer market that is desperately short of quality strikers.

Good luck to Gally and i hope he does well but i don`t think i am alone in thinking that he won`t play in the top flight again.

Archived