BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Gallagher - Gone

mark

Living in London I don't get to go to Ewood and have no damn tele to watch MOTD! How did Gally look in the middle of the park? I always fancied he could do a job there, and as has been mentioned by others he's surely preferable to Andrews..

(Appologies if we already have a Gally thread, I did look but didn't find it..).

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When he came on the game was a little more open than it had been. That said in his brief cameo he was eager to get the ball and he used it pretty effectively - he didn't look lost in the position at any rate. He has the makings of a great second striker/attacking midfielder, but of course we've known that for a while.

He looked ok - but at the same time we were much better in the first half when Andrews was on the pitch. We seemed to run out of ideas during the second half. He has got more talent in his big toe than Andrews has in total though - not sure he's suited to a central midfield in a 4-4-2 though. Maybe he could play off the striker or as part of a three.

No

Not good enough, not strong enough to have a big impact from the middle, and not good enough to be in a pairing with either Andrews or NZonzi - sell him, tag him with a big sell on clause and get Selgado in.

I would never describe Tugay as strong - but he had skill and positional sense to make up for this.

He may not be the answer, but I think Gally is worth perserving with in this position, as he showed promise (like Jan said - at least he could find one of his own players).

Unless we need the cash for elsewhere, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Gallagher in midfield. Let's face it, he offers us more than Andrews, and we have N'Zoni as the ball-winner to even things out.

Unless we need the cash for elsewhere, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Gallagher in midfield. Let's face it, he offers us more than Andrews, and we have N'Zoni as the ball-winner to even things out.

True. This is important. Nzonzi allows whoever plays alongside him more room to pass it around which is important for a player like Gallagher. As it stands I would imagine gallagher could start there against Sunderland unless Grella gets fit. Sam clearly wasn't that happy with Andrews on Saturday when he took him off relatively early.

Nonetheless as soon as Dunn and Grella are available Gallagher will find it very hard to get into the team - especially if Salgado comes too. It that light we will probably sell if enough money comes in.

The way I see our midfield is - NZonzi will become 1st choice........very quickly. We also have MGP who could come inside (like he does for Norway) and KA.

We have Grella now on the bench (so he will be back playing very soon) - Reid & Emerton both not far away and both not far off a return, we then have Dunn who is in training but still some way away.

Now yes we seem to have injury problems but for me, even if we only have 1 of the following fit (Grella, Reid, Dunn & Emo) and NZonzi then there isnt a place for Gally.

He is not premiership standard, he hasnt been for the last 5 years of trying and it is time to let go!!

Right now Gallagher is head-and-shoulders above every other option we have available for central-midfield - He has vision, technique, can pass the ball and can make things happen.

Sure he's spent a lot of time on loan to clubs in the Championship - but that's still a higher standard than one of our starting XI is used to...

Be gutted to see Gally leave.

Living in London I don't get to go to Ewood and have no damn tele to watch MOTD! How did Gally look in the middle of the park? I always fancied he could do a job there, and as has been mentioned by others he's surely preferable to Andrews..

(Appologies if we already have a Gally thread, I did look but didn't find it..).

Didnt look bad, but didnt have any positive influence either, Gally's a player the club need to sell desperately along with KA.

I dont know why people are still clinging on to this idea, he's no where near good enough to be a premier league central midfield player.

The reason it is up for debate is because the other option currently is Keith Andrews, who you could say the same thing for.

I thought Gally did a lot better than Andrews in the middle when he came on, he was always looking to get forward and create something, whereas KA was happy just to play a short pass sideways or back.

If no-one is back from injury, i'd play Gally with N'Zonzi next game.

even before he came on against man city i thought he could have a future in central midfield-and on sunday i seen nothing that changed my opinion..he tracked back, always wanted the ball, and got stuck in..

i think we should keep him..

I thought Gally did a lot better than Andrews in the middle when he came on, he was always looking to get forward and create something, whereas KA was happy just to play a short pass sideways or back.

But will gally get back, defend and chase the ball down??

We also have MGP who could come inside (like he does for Norway) and KA.

Comes inside from his position as left midfielder/winger you mean? He never plays central midfield for Norway, and he gives the ball away too much to be able to. I see Gally being similar, his passing range isn't great but at least he does look for openings and tries to bring the ball forward. I thought he looked decent against City but he's been given so many chances already and proved he doesn't have the quality needed for the PL.

of course the knockers of Gally come on quick and say no, but the real answer is we don't know. He played there in a pre season friendly I didn't see and a short while at Dundee Utd before injury, which was a real shame as it might have made it clearer. On Saturday's evidence he didn't have much time but he tried hard and put in a couple of good challenges, we know he can pass. Sam and co know a lot more from training and the like, so I presume they have seen something that has made them think he might be an option there. He needs time in games to prove himself and who knows he might get some, I'd be happy to see that as he has an eye for a pass that Nzonzi doesn't at this stage, but Sam will make that decision.

Archived