BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Gallagher - Gone

mark

IMO, Gallagher is not good enough to be a Premier League CM, nor to play off a lead striker (although that would probably be his best position).

However, he is preferable to Andrews in that role while our others are out injured. With N'Zonzi and Grella providing a defensive option, I'd be tempted to play him. Either that or shift Givet to LB and Warnock to CM with Nelsen returning to CB.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
of course the knockers of Gally come on quick and say no, but the real answer is we don't know. He played there in a pre season friendly I didn't see and a short while at Dundee Utd before injury, which was a real shame as it might have made it clearer. On Saturday's evidence he didn't have much time but he tried hard and put in a couple of good challenges, we know he can pass. Sam and co know a lot more from training and the like, so I presume they have seen something that has made them think he might be an option there. He needs time in games to prove himself and who knows he might get some, I'd be happy to see that as he has an eye for a pass that Nzonzi doesn't at this stage, but Sam will make that decision.

Fair answer- we don't know if Sam has sussed out Gally's head or not. Certainly there is nothing wanting for skill quotient in the lad.

This is what makes me uneasy about the prospect of selling him but not a quarter as uneasy at the prospect of selling Warnock.

One of Gally's challenges on Saturday was a well-deserved yellow cad by the way.

I'd like to see him ahead of Andrews in the pecking order.

I would rather see anybody ahead of Andrews ppersonally!

If he has his mentality right, I am inclined to agree, but which 'head' will he have on him when he plays?

I do understand we have a Sports psycholgist at Rovers now, he sorted Robinsons head out after his problems, seems to have worked there, maybe he is now working with Gallagher ?

I'm not sure Gallagher has the application, work ethic and tackling ability to be a decent CM. He may be too lightweight.

For me he aint good enough, accept any offer we can get him off the wage bill

Exactly how I see it. £20k a week off the wages please.

I'm not sure if he's Premier League quality, especially when you start comparing him to players like Gerrard, Lampard etc. but it's possible that he can do a good job there still. I don't think anyone would've said that Warnock was a quality central midfield, but he was given a chance there and he shined.

If Dunn, Reid or Emerton are fit then I wouldn't expect Gallagher to start ahead of them, but it seems he has the right attributes to be a good central midfielder, so he should be given a chance there at the very least.

I was pleasantly surprised at how Gallagher played. He seemed comfortable on the ball, got his passes away and put the tackles in. I was writing him off as a striker but he could well be a late developer as an attacking central mid-fielder. We'd look very silly if we didn't give him the chance and he made it elsewhere

of course the knockers of Gally come on quick and say no, but the real answer is we don't know. He played there in a pre season friendly I didn't see and a short while at Dundee Utd before injury, which was a real shame as it might have made it clearer. On Saturday's evidence he didn't have much time but he tried hard and put in a couple of good challenges, we know he can pass. Sam and co know a lot more from training and the like, so I presume they have seen something that has made them think he might be an option there. He needs time in games to prove himself and who knows he might get some, I'd be happy to see that as he has an eye for a pass that Nzonzi doesn't at this stage, but Sam will make that decision.

Sorry blue and whit mike, but Gally has proved hes not good enough by being unable to secure a first team spot with not one, but three managers that I can think of. You maybe new to the scene but Gallys only consistency is his ability to be more out than in the first team.

Gally is too soft, dont be fooled by that challenge he put in on one of the City players that was purely a 'one off' challenge.

Why on Earth would we want Ellington though? He's another Bobby Zamora type.

He was VERY good when he played for Wigan. But then, so was Jason Roberts! :huh:

Together they made a formidable striking duo at Wigan.....the big question is could they do it again here???

Personally I think the chances are very remote, but that is a decision for Sam to make; not us (Deo Gratias).

He was VERY good when he played for Wigan. But then, so was Jason Roberts! :huh:

Together they made a formidable striking duo at Wigan.....the big question is could they do it again here???

Personally I think the chances are very remote, but that is a decision for Sam to make; not us (Deo Gratias).

But that was in the 1st division though wasn't it? Ellington commands big fees but has little talent, like Bobby '£5m' Zamora. I'd rather sell Gallagher for £1m and then find a creative CM in the lower leagues or somewhere like Botswana who is worth a punt on the cheap.

Hey JAL, I'm not new to the scene, been going to Ewood since 1990, I know Gally has never been a regular but this is the first time he's had a go at centre mid isn't it? I'm not overly optimistic he can do it but I for one haven't seen enough to write him off and I'd like him to make it because, when he does things well, he's nice to watch. I like footballers who can make nice passes and play nice football. Super Atko was not a great div 2 right back but he did a pretty good job in the middle when we won the league, very different I know but if Sam thinks he might be able to do it, great.

Not keen on swapping him for Ellington but selling him for cash to allow us to bring in a better player I can understand.

Archived