BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Playstation 3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will never be able to match xbox live because of the fact that the xbox has established a hardcore online community that playstation will never be able to catch up on. The playstation may well be able to beat the 360 on every other feature (I'm not saying that it will but it is quite possible), but in terms online gameplay the 360 will always come out the winner.

What do people think of this comment a year on?

To be honest im pretty pleased with online gameplay on the ps3. Agreed some games (Pro evo!) are absolute turd online, but other games such as fifa and Call of Duty are great. Anyone played both ps3 and Xbox online?

Is the Xbox sufficiently better to warrant a subscription fee over the free playstation?

Guest Kamy100

I have both the 360 and PS3, played them both online.

To be honest the PS3 online experience (in terms of playing games) is identical to the 360, 99% of games run fine online, the exception are games such as PES2009 which are rubbish online on both platforms. The difference between the 360 and PS3 online is the none game related stuff and this is where at the moment the 360 has the slight edge, the New Xbox Experience front end is very slick and easy to use, friends lists, voice chat and sending messages are very simple to do and the avatars have been a great addition. People also like the gamer points system, does it justify the subscription fee of £35? For me the answer is No, most people just want to play games online, and would happily live without the "extra stuff" if here was no subscription fee.

I think that Sony are doing some great stuff with the PSN, games such as Pixel Junk, Flower and Noby Noby Boy are far far better than anything that Xbox Live Arcade has to offer, HOME although it hasn't taken off yet is a very interesting concept and with the major updates that are due in March which will give you game specific areas and the ability to launch into games directly from HOME that'll draw more people. When you look at what Sony is offering and all of it for Free I think that people will start to ask the question are Microsoft ripping us off.

I'd still stand by my comment I think, I can't see how the PS3 will be able to offer a better online gaming experience before the next generation of consoles comes out, at which point there is a strong possibility that they will be able to overtake what microsoft has managed to do. I'm not someone who particularly makes use of the avatar or marketplace on xbox live so I come at this purely from a gaming and communication point of view and although I don't have a PS3 myself, I have plenty of friends who do. I still find xbox live to be more reliable, faster and easier and to me those are the keys. As for paying for it, well for the high stress put on servers by online hit-after-hit that the 360 usually gets each year, I think it can be justified, it is hardly expensive. I'm jealous of a lot of things on the PS3 (particularly baseball right now), but live v. psn isn't one of them.

My friend said the other day his ps3 died. Rather like the Xbox which tends to overheat and show 3 red lights or something which signalls its broke, my friend says his ps3 just shut itself down and a green light started flashing. He rang sony and they quoted about £170 to get it fixed as it was out of warranty. He also said they didnt know what was causing it.

To worry me more just found a thread on the pro evo forum with people finding the same thing. Ill copy and past afew quotes.

" WTF my PS3 just went capput HELP

My PS3 just decided to turn itself off, i initialy thought it was a power cut, but my TV was still on. I tried to turn it back on, but it goes green, flashes yellow then back to red. Does anybody haveany ideas. I have a origional 60GB model bought in july 07"

"It's dead. Happened to me a month ago. 60GB model, bought in August 2007. Seems to be a common problem with the 60GB model, at that kiind of age. You'll be lucky to get back the disc in it as well. Sony say that if it does get returned, it'll be within 6-8 weeks, but they promise nothing.

I hope you backed up your saves etc, because you won't be getting at anything on that hard drive again. Phone up Sony, and they'll arrange for someone to come round and exchange your dead PS3, for a refurbished 60GB model. I got my replacement only 7 days after it turned it's toes up to the daisies".

"They might try to charge you £180, but with a little bit of arguing, and quoting the many cases of of people in exactly the same situation who got free replacements, they'll do it for free. The fella I spoke to had to speak to his manager, because I had no proof of purchase, but there was no problem in the end. UmbroBoy (see the PS3 thread), had a whole host of problems getting the free replacement out of Sony, whereas for others it was a quick and simple process of just phoning Sony up. Ring them, but don't let them charge you! Google "Yellow Light of Death", and you'll see you're not alone!"

Im worried now, as ive been told the origional 60gb models are the most prone to this, which is exactly the model I have.

Don't worry too much about it. The comments about making a fuss really do scare them and they tend to just give in and send refurbished ones free. My friend and I both had errors where the disk wasn't being read, but both rang up, 2 minutes later it was sorted and we both got replacements under 5 days later.

I honestly can't fault Sony for customer support, even if they only speak a disjointed form of "Eiinglesh".

I have both the 360 and PS3, played them both online.

To be honest the PS3 online experience (in terms of playing games) is identical to the 360, 99% of games run fine online, the exception are games such as PES2009 which are rubbish online on both platforms. The difference between the 360 and PS3 online is the none game related stuff and this is where at the moment the 360 has the slight edge, the New Xbox Experience front end is very slick and easy to use, friends lists, voice chat and sending messages are very simple to do and the avatars have been a great addition. People also like the gamer points system, does it justify the subscription fee of £35? For me the answer is No, most people just want to play games online, and would happily live without the "extra stuff" if here was no subscription fee.

I think that Sony are doing some great stuff with the PSN, games such as Pixel Junk, Flower and Noby Noby Boy are far far better than anything that Xbox Live Arcade has to offer, HOME although it hasn't taken off yet is a very interesting concept and with the major updates that are due in March which will give you game specific areas and the ability to launch into games directly from HOME that'll draw more people. When you look at what Sony is offering and all of it for Free I think that people will start to ask the question are Microsoft ripping us off.

Do you work for Sony?

PSN is absolutely rubbish when compared to Xbox Live, it is slower to use, slower to download, is hard to find anything and has no content.

But it is free.

:)

Guest Kamy100
Do you work for Sony?

PSN is absolutely rubbish when compared to Xbox Live, it is slower to use, slower to download, is hard to find anything and has no content.

But it is free.

:)

You really are a grade A idiot.

If you bothered to read any of my other posts then you would realise that I love games no matter what platform that they are on. I have a 360 and the good games on there I love play (ie Gears of War etc). The same goes for my PS3.

Do you have a PS3? I have played online via PSN and games run the same as they do on the 360, downloads are the same speed as Xbox LIVE and there is a lot of content.

These Xbox fanboys make me laugh, many of the online titles are available on ps3, Xbox and Wii.

I know the graphics are crap and games pretty simple but I think the Wii may get the fun vote out of the three main consoles. Great party console.

They are aimed at familys and cost less - of course they are going to sell more.

I prefer the better gameplay and graphics though that the PS3 and xbox have to offer. Its just a shame that the PS3 cant be modified or anything yet - xbox is easy!

Guys,

Please can we keep this thread to just Playstation 3 talk.

Cheers

Hughesy - what do you mean "Its just a shame that the PS3 cant be modified or anything"

Surly games like Unreal Tournament III and Little Big Planet prove this to be incorrect?

Oh sorry I see what you mean. I meant those games can be modded and not the system.

I personally wouldn't want anyone to figure a way to do that. There are enough games companies going bust as it is.

So to sum up its not a shame but a good thing that the PS3 can not be modded with a chip.

Guest Kamy100

Totally agree, Piracy is has ruined many companies, particularly PC gaming companies.

It is going to be harder for the pirates as far as the PS3 is concerned, firstly they will have to figure out how to "chip it" and then secondly because games need blue rays it is going to be very expensive for them to copy the games.

I know someone who can chip it and charges £60 and also the games are currently £10 each - but its still not 100% perfect so its just too risky.

I agree that its a good thing they havent properly worked it out - however I just wish the games were abit cheaper for some of the less glamourous titles.

Well recently I have either bought or seen:-

Little Big Planet

Prince of Persia

Metal Gear

Unchartered Drakes Fortune

Mirrors Edge

Far Cry II

Unreal Tournament III

Motorstorm 2

Resistance 2

Orange Box

All between £15 and £20

I think they are great prices for what you get.

Well recently I have either bought or seen:-

Little Big Planet

Prince of Persia

Metal Gear

Unchartered Drakes Fortune

Mirrors Edge

Far Cry II

Unreal Tournament III

Motorstorm 2

Resistance 2

Orange Box

All between £15 and £20

I think they are great prices for what you get.

I've not got a PS3, but there is a similar pattern on the Xbox. If you wait 2-3 months then games often drop by 50%. It's worth doing for games that you are not sure about or don't have time to play due to other releases etc..

Sometimes Asda discounts games heavily when released too. I picked up Gears of War 2 for £32 on it's release there.

With the recession and everything, second hand games will be a massive market this year.

Yes but for a title like H.A.W.X its not realistic for them to bring it out for anything less than £30 at the start given the amount of money they have ploughed into making it. We are talking millions to make a game like that now a days.

Good games will always sell and once they reach their mark the cheaper platinum ones come out ala Metal Gear.

• 3 weeks later...
Update 2.70 is out today - I downloaded it earlier.

Main things it said were:

-In game chat (so no longer need to quit to chat to friends)

-Copy & Paste function in messages.

Anything else??

More Here - click

Its not set my world on fire by any means. What I want most from a future upgrade is:-

The ability to download movies from the store like the Americans have.

Cross game chat - like they have on the 360

I dont ask for much do I?

Archived