BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Playstation 3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I had the trip to the Mrs brothers house to have a nice cup of T so wasnt really looking that forward to it. I get there to discover that he has under his telly a Wii and a 360. This pleases me as I finally get to have a go on them.

The Wii - I really really wanted to like this but I thought it was awful. I NEVER expected anything towards graphics but the gameplay I thought would be very entertaining - how wrong. I played that Wii sports first and hated ALL the mini games on it. they were all boring and I was right about that controler just being a fad - because it got right on my nerves. They then stuck some rayman game on which could have been even worse. Because I didnt look to impressed he said - it gets better - look, you can play the old mario game for the nes. Get the 360 on I said.

The 360 - The first thing that hit me was how loud the thing is. Whiring away while you are playing - couldnt be doing with that. The next thing was the main hub where you have your log in and game downoads and what not - what a mess that was - The PS3 interface walks all over it. While the first game was coming on he asked me about the PS3. I of course went into my normal text of "the games will be near the same at the moment, you wont be able to tell the difference" Now, this first game was Test Drive and it was awful. If you had to compare this to the driving game of Motorstorm that I have there wouldnt be a contest - and that goes with the second one I saw - Need for speed. The odd time I even noticed some pop-ups in the distance. Then I spy a game that I was wanted for the PS3 - Ghost Recon. Everything I had seen previously about this just blew me away however, when it came down to playing it I must say that I feel more at home with Resistance Fall of Man.

Now, I am not stupid enough to sit here and say therefore I conclude that both these machines are rubbish and the PS3 is the king - after all, I have only had a go on a couple of games (I do think Gears of War looks amazing but still havent played it) But I will say 100% that I do now (from what little I have seen so far) think the PS3 was worth the money I spent and really think I have made the correct choice.

These are my opinions of course and do not want a backlash from the Wii and 360 fanboys out there :ph34r:

These are my opinions of course and do not want a backlash from the Wii and 360 fanboys out there :ph34r:

I never understand why Xbox fans get so annoyed by sony and have to big up the Xbox, even though the facts show the ps3 is the more powerful machine.

I never understand why Xbox fans get so annoyed by sony and have to big up the Xbox, even though the facts show the ps3 is the more powerful machine.

How can you say that when the post above is about how brilliant the PS3 is whereas the Xbox 360 and Wii are rubbish (you can buy both for the same price as a PS3)

The Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 and the N64 more powerful than the PSOne.

We all know which were the better consoles.

It definately does not depend on power.

What games have we got then?

Resistance:Fall of Man

Quite simply the best game on PS3 for me at the moment. Having never really subscribed to the whole first person shooter genre in the past despite numerous attempts I can't say I expected too much from this so I have been pleasantly surprised. The solo game is a lot of fun and at times engrossing. The set pieces are impressive as are the graphics. A lot of time has been spent thinkng about the level design and the imaginative weapons too. Online, this is an excellent game where you can play as the human resistance or the mysterious chimera. As everyone knows - human opposition beats AI anyday. I have had no problems getting online and playing this game. It has changed my perceptions of it's genre: 9/10

Motorstorm

Race a variety of vehicles remeniscant of Mad Max around a canyon track remeniscant of Mad Max. Can't fail really? Although not as in depth as the forth coming GTHD, or as frantic as Burnout Revenge on the PS2, this is still a fantastic romp. I feel the one player mode is a little light, but online it ain't bad at all. As long as you know which button is accelerate! 7.5/10

Call of Duty 3

Not had this out of the box yet due to R:CoM! N/A

Lemmings

Remember this on the Amiga? And then every other damn platform going until it was done to death? Well it has gone back to it's roots and has come out pretty much as it originally was. The method of controlling actions assigned to the little green haired fellows has been modified for console use and is quite easy, and some more modern additions to the formula have been retained (transportation, and candles that light up the level as you go). The music is still suitably orchestral and the gane itself is addictive as hell. For the money not a bad nostalgia trip. 7/10

Go! Sudoku!

Do you like sudoku? If yes 7/10. If no, 0/10. Annoying backgrounds and crazy time limits but a multitude of puzzles. What more do you want? It's a bloody Japanese puzzle...

Flow

The first thing that comes to mind with this game is WTF... You control a basic life form that has to swim around and eat other life forms, until you become another life forms. To music. Control of the game is via the SIXAXIS method of tilting the pad which is difficult at first but soon becomes second nature. Unfortunately no demo is available on the PS3 but if you tap 'flow' game into google, you will find an online version easy enough.

If you like your games to be traditional look away but if you either: a) want to try something new, B) have a small baby who goes quiet and is mesmorised by the swishy patterns and subtle music, or c) are an adult who is easily mesmorised by the patterns and subtle music (or even a, b and c as in my case), then it's worth buying. 7.5/10

Tekken: Dark Ressurection

Standard Tekken fare, here. Choose your fighter and jolly well fight. As ever, there are robots, pandas, and bloody great demons in it as well as a vast array of old favourites. This game is great, really - fighting seems a little more intuitive than it has ever been and a sort of ranking system is present. Also you can earn points to be able to purchase costumes and accessories for characters. The lack of online play is possibly it's greatest flaw. Other than that it's fun. I still always get beaten by the wife though... 7/10

Super Rub A Dub

Use the SIXAXIS to tip a bath and move a duck. The duck must free the ducklings and avoid the sharks. If anyone remembers, this started life as an example of the PS3's ability to handle water in game. It's fun for a while and a game best played in company. To be honest, some of the tubs they designed are excellent and frantic, but many are very simple. A good option is that you can see worldwide rankings and view replays of the top five for each tub. Some of these are awsome and just go to show what happens when spotty fanboys spend all day on thier PS3! Don't expect too much from this as it is little more than an amusing diversion, and a chance to show off the tilty pad to friends (ones who don't own the Wii!). Kids love it too! 6.5/10

GT: Concept

OK, it ain't a game but a demo really but it's well worth having. This is a glimpse into the future my friend - the stuff we always said would make games better - realistic backdrops, lifelike main graphics and a crowd that isn't just a series of random static 2D images. The crowd are real and react. When you watch a replay, the angles are from the actual cameramen who swivel to follow your progress. Folk walk up and down the sidelines and react reasonably intelligently rather than everyone looking straight forward and clapping. Now I know this isn't exactly new, but it just feels better in this demo. I really can't wait until the level of realism is such that when Fifa 2024 or whatever comes out, mabe it will include a realistic Ewood Park. With each of us in there. And loads if the CIS stand walking out with 10 mins to go... Back to GT, and I have to say, the crowd is all I got really excited about. I don't know, it just didn't feel like it was responding right at the moment. It is free though, so you have to get it. 7.5/10

Some nice reviews there (even if some scores are a little high I feel - like you say, GT is a demo really)

I think you have sold me on the Resistance Fall of Man. Like you I have never been into the FPS but playing the downloadable demo I am hooked. Will be getting this along with Spiderman next week.

Will look foward to you popping a cap in my ass in the coming weeks :lol:

No point arguing over which is the best, it's still early days. By the "best", i mean the console that gets the best penetration into peoples homes and all the decent games. By this time next year we'll have more of an idea.

Not even playing the PS3 due to a lack of decent games. The 360 is currently getting all my gaming time.

When Rainbow 6 comes out on PS3 - buy it, you wont be dissapointed.

Guest Kamy100

Well i've had a 360 and now have a PS3. I have to say that I agree with Cocker the PS3 seems to be a machine that lots more potential than the 360. Don't get me wrong the 360 is a mighty fine machine with some great games, but for me the PS3 is better, the game particularly Motorstorm and Resistance are superb, and they are even more amazing as these are just the first wave of games, if you compare them to the first wave of 360 games there is no comparison. Also the games in the pipeline look to have huge potential, this coupled with the launch of "home", blue ray playback and FREE online play make it a very good package.

The 360 also has some superb games and some great games coming out in the future but the major drawback is the hardware itself, it is to unreliable I got through 3 consoles and have heard stories of people having had 6 replacement consoles, that is totally unacceptable, it is clear they rushed it out just to be first to the market, also annoyed with Microsoft at their treatment of Xbox 1 owners, as soon as the 360 came out they totally dropped the support for the console, complete contrast with Sony strategy of supporting the PS1 and PS2.

I have to say that I agree with Cocker.

Sniff Sniff, I shall always remember 26/04/07 as the date that someone agreed with me at long last. :P

Like you, I dont mean to slate the 360 because its by no means a bad machine just that my personal preference for now and for what the future holds is the PS3.

My comments are for those who cant make up their mind and wants to hear from someone who has played on the machine before they buy.

I stand by my comments that the Wii is a poor machine though - lets see where that thing is in a year

To be fair on Microsoft, you have to draw the line somewhere with supporting old hardware. You've also got to remember that the XBOX 1 didn't really have that big a market share so their strategy was to focus completely on the 360 and they guessed right that most of the people who supported the XBOX jumped straight over to the 360 anyway. The only reason I've still got my XBOX connected up is that nothing touches it when it comes to a Media Center (XBMC).

Cocker, Can I ask whether the Demo you got of the Wii and the 360 were on a HD TV? Just curious really as a couple of the games you mention cannot be faulted for graphics. Fully agree with the noise problem on the 360. It's actually not the fans that make that noise but the DVD spinning up. This is one reason that hacking the 360 is a blessing as one version keeps the drive at 2 speed which means the whole gaming experience is much much better.

Very interested in what you say about the menu interface. I have not seen the PS3 one but you are now the 2nd person in 2 days who has said the PS3's is a lot slicker than the 360. I personally could take or leave the 360 one, it's not great but it serves it function. I would be interested in seeing the PS3's.

As an aside, I was in Toys R Us yesterday and they had a Formula 1 demo rolling on the PS3 hooked up to a HD screen and I thought it looked very ropey. Actually, I though the textures and lighting were amazing and the detail was too. What I didn't like (which was probably an effect the programmers put in) was some annoying white banding lines that edged certain areas of the cars. It seemed to make things shimmer too much.

Also, arguments on the power of the consoles are a nonsense. In lab terms the Sony cells crap all over the 360's CPU's however the Graphics chip in the PS3 is too limited compared to the 360. In the real world neither of these are making much of a difference.

Finally, I've heard a lot about games on the PS3 but what I'm really interested in, is how is it as a Media Center? Can it stream video from PC's? if so can it do High Def TS files and divx/xvid. This is one area that really pee's me off with the 360. It should be a great Media Center. The hacked XBOX1 was amazing with XBMC but Microsoft didn't capitalise on that and crippled xvid and TS support to make the 360 extender useless to me. I know I can transcode but that's beyond the point, I may as well use the xbox again. So, how does the PS3 fair?

Ive heard that they might be making a program for the ps3 that can let u sell or use part off the ps3 cell processor for other things jsut the fact they wont be using its fully power.

might just be a rumor or come out properly jsut have to wait and see

There's already Folding@Home which is a cancer research program. This is available on PC's, Linux, Mac's and it works on PS3. It's not because things are so powerful, just that CPU's generally aren't being used to their fullest when sat at the desktop / menu etc therefore why not use the spare capacity for good things. This also used to be done on the SETI program (I wonder if that's still going?)

Cocker, Can I ask whether the Demo you got of the Wii and the 360 were on a HD TV? Just curious really as a couple of the games you mention cannot be faulted for graphics. Fully agree with the noise problem on the 360. It's actually not the fans that make that noise but the DVD spinning up. This is one reason that hacking the 360 is a blessing as one version keeps the drive at 2 speed which means the whole gaming experience is much much better.

Very interested in what you say about the menu interface. I have not seen the PS3 one but you are now the 2nd person in 2 days who has said the PS3's is a lot slicker than the 360. I personally could take or leave the 360 one, it's not great but it serves it function. I would be interested in seeing the PS3's.

It wasnt on a HD telly no. But neither is my PS3 (Grrr, I do have an HD Telly which I bought for the gaming only but my old telly dosnt work in the bedroom on sky so the new lovely HD Telly is now for the Mrs to watch Emmerdale on - what a waste)

I dont know if you have ever seen the interface for the PSP but its pretty much the same as that.

Interesting to see your comments on the PS3 interface being better than the 360 one, Cocker. I've had a chance to use the PS3 one a lot more now and I can't agree with you at all. Neither is exactly a masterpiece of design but the 360 seems to have a lot more functionality - it's always running in the background independent of the game, so you can drop in and out of chat with players who are doing other things, send game invites and so on. PS3 doesn't seem to let me do that stuff (unless it's just because I've got no friends!)

Interesting to see your comments on the PS3 interface being better than the 360 one, Cocker. I've had a chance to use the PS3 one a lot more now and I can't agree with you at all. Neither is exactly a masterpiece of design but the 360 seems to have a lot more functionality - it's always running in the background independent of the game, so you can drop in and out of chat with players who are doing other things, send game invites and so on. PS3 doesn't seem to let me do that stuff (unless it's just because I've got no friends!)

Well, the part about it running in the back ground I think is spot on because to my knowledge you have to come out of the game on the PS3 to go back into the main home screen - so fair play to 360 on that. PS3 - Once your in a game though, you can goto your buddy list and request a game.

I do think though that the intoduction of Playstation home (October I think) will be very interesting with how the 'non gaming' element pans out.

I do think though that the intoduction of Playstation home (October I think) will be very interesting with how the 'non gaming' element pans out.

Hmmm... Can't see Home being something I'd bother loading up too often. Having to make a character walk into a shop and talk to a shopkeeper to buy a game seems like a lot of hassle compared to just clicking on the normal Playstation store. Plus designing hairstyles, buying clothes, making an apartment... it's all gone Ken and Barbie.

They're going all out for the pink pound with this one, I tells ya!

As far as the media centre goes, I think people will develope thier own comfort zones and go with what they are used to. Much like most of the Pro Evo Vs Fifa brigade to be honest...

Apparently plans are to allow XMB acces during games in a future firmware update. :tu:

Dam it, just noticed that Spiderman 3 has been pushed back till the end of May.

Oh well, God of War II should be posted through my letter box today and I get Resistance Fall of Man tomorrow so its not all bad.

EDIT: Ok, only Play are saying that it will be out at the end of May. All other sites show next week. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Archived