BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bbe Lower Top Corner

Some may read this and see it as the same thread as 'New Chants' but it is not meant for that. It's more of a view on how our atmosphere can be improved at Ewood (and away games). It's quite a long piece but i'll get to the point eventually!

One of the draw backs from our increased success in the early 90s, and from what I would call an increase in ‘non traditional’ support, was our atmosphere. Prior to this we were capable of making a right din, especially at away games in Lancashire and Yorkshire. The songs we sang were very simple yet loud.

I hear and read people talking about new songs that they have written that they are trying to get going. Usually they are relatively complicated and although massive clubs like Utd and Liverpool are capable of getting the complicated songs going on mass, we are not. anything more than 3 words usually doesn't catch on and and willjust be sung in small pockets around the ground.

When you sit in the Blackburn End it feels like the ground is noisy but in reality it isn’t as noisy as it seems. I used to sit in the BBurn End but now sit in the Riverside and can honestly say that in recent years, the only song which gets going around the ground is (embarrassingly-and other fans laugh at us when they hear this!) ‘Barmy Army’! Why? Because it’s simple and repetitive.

There are plenty of chants which could replace this which are just as simple, more passionate, and could get going around the ground in the same way. As far as I’m concerned it’s not about being clever with chants….it’s about being loud and creating a better atmodsphere! Such simple chants are:

1) ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS (as Villa, Leicester, Boro, Chelsea sing)

2) Come on Rovers, Come on Rovers……

3) Da Da Da Dadadadaaa Dadadadaaa Rovers (as in Hey Jude)

4) Come on Ro-vers, Come on Ro-vers, Come on Ro-vers, come on.

5) We are the Rovers, we hate Burnley – (to replace Barmy Army !)

6) Ole ole ole ole Rovers Rovers

The Bburn End corner who stand up would be the place to start this going again (but please persevere). It takes some time to get things going. (it took Barmy Army a couple of seasons!). It seems that this is where the singing starts but unless it simple it doesn't spread.

(As for the drummer situation, any song which has ever been on the verge of hitting high noise levels has been drowned out by the thumping sound of the drummer. In my opinion we need to get rid, and learn to start our own chants again (which again will take time). If the drummer must stay then please stop drumming once a chant starts!)

I've been following the Rovers for 30 years now and find it frustrating that there's lots of effort put into penning clever rhymes that will never be sung until we get back to basics and get large parts of the ground joining in the simpler stuff. Come on BBE LOWER TOP CORNER!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be more in the Centre of the BBE so the chants spread easier, in the Riverside we can hardly hear the BBE top corner until others join in... to be honest though in the last couple of years the atmosphere in the Riverside has improved a lot and songs start from there now and again.

:brfc:

Mate I sit in N02 and sometimes its hard to tell what N01 are singing.

The best way to get new chants going is simple. Best 10 new chants, printed on 10k sheets and handed out by a group of volunteers (or maybe the stewards with rovers' agreement)

The best way to get new chants going is simple. Best 10 new chants, printed on 10k sheets and handed out by a group of volunteers (or maybe the stewards with rovers' agreement)

handed out when you get throught the turnstiles is better (stewards) like the tugay masks

I'm in N02 and agree on your comment about N01.

I think the way forward is to do what Stoke do and turn up the PA system in the away end to drown out the away fans.

I don't think there is an issue with fans not knowing the words, it's just that everybody is split up now compared to the old Blackburn End with pockets of lads spread across the BBE. N01 seem like they are the younger end where the rest of us have been there done that. No disrespect there, but some of the chants are embarrassing at times... "you don't know what your doing" being one of the worse.

On Sunday everybody will be fired up and everybody will join in with all the chants and songs. I'm planning on having no voice for a week after the game!

Havlock at 10am for me. I've booked Monday off on the strength of it.

I can never understand why we stopped singing come on you blues at every corner etc.

It's an iconic chant that seemed to disapear for no reason, also as I've said before For ever and ever used to get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, especially during the promotion year. It feels that the drummer has totally ruined the atmosphere at Ewood imo, people don't get chants going any more and the old songs have been replaced with pathetic songs like barmy army & get into em. Notice these are songs that the drummer would start off.

Sitting in the Darwen end has made me realise how quiet the Blackburn End is from an away supporters perspective. Obviously the riverside sounds loud so if they could catch onto the songs then it would spread better. The problem is that the vocal side of the BBE is next to the JW stand and the other side of the BBE hardly sing. The vocal side of the riverside is towards the Darwen end so there is a huge gap between the 2 main vocal elements of the stand.

Hopefully after Sun we should have got a Darwen End vocal section going so we can improve that section of the stand with the help of the Riverside DE side.

The atmosphere for the Inbreds game will not need anything adding to

But here's what I'd suggest would help to improve the atmosphere for other games.

For every corner or long throw in lets try come on you blues.

At the start and half time restart we should sing a rendition of no nay never.

If the game is a bit dull (can be often nowadays lol) get some motivational chants going.

Motivational chants - Forever and ever, Hey Jude, We are the Rovers, We are the Blackburn boys, When the blues go marching in, Going down the Bolton Rd, Hark now here etc

Getting back to basics (as moorgate said) is the key for me.

I can never understand why we stopped singing come on you blues at every corner etc.

It's an iconic chant that seemed to disapear for no reason, also as I've said before For ever and ever used to get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, especially during the promotion year. It feels that the drummer has totally ruined the atmosphere at Ewood imo, people don't get chants going any more and the old songs have been replaced with pathetic songs like barmy army & get into em. Notice these are songs that the drummer would start off.

Sitting in the Darwen end has made me realise how quiet the Blackburn End is from an away supporters perspective. Obviously the riverside sounds loud so if they could catch onto the songs then it would spread better. The problem is that the vocal side of the BBE is next to the JW stand and the other side of the BBE hardly sing. The vocal side of the riverside is towards the Darwen end so there is a huge gap between the 2 main vocal elements of the stand.

Hopefully after Sun we should have got a Darwen End vocal section going so we can improve that section of the stand with the help of the Riverside DE side.

The atmosphere for the Inbreds game will not need anything adding to

But here's what I'd suggest would help to improve the atmosphere for other games.

For every corner or long throw in lets try come on you blues.

At the start and half time restart we should sing a rendition of no nay never.

If the game is a bit dull (can be often nowadays lol) get some motivational chants going.

Motivational chants - Forever and ever, Hey Jude, We are the Rovers, We are the Blackburn boys, When the blues go marching in, Going down the Bolton Rd, Hark now here etc

Getting back to basics (as moorgate said) is the key for me.

Being in the back corner of N01 I can tell you that most of them do get a run out but dont tend to catch on as they are sung just the once then we will move onto the next song, maybe they could be repeated 2-3 times in a row and it would give the songs a chance to catch on in the rest of the BBE.

I'm in N02 and agree on your comment about N01.

I think the way forward is to do what Stoke do and turn up the PA system in the away end to drown out the away fans.

I don't think there is an issue with fans not knowing the words, it's just that everybody is split up now compared to the old Blackburn End with pockets of lads spread across the BBE. N01 seem like they are the younger end where the rest of us have been there done that. No disrespect there, but some of the chants are embarrassing at times... "you don't know what your doing" being one of the worse.

On Sunday everybody will be fired up and everybody will join in with all the chants and songs. I'm planning on having no voice for a week after the game!

Havlock at 10am for me. I've booked Monday off on the strength of it.

I can safely say many of the more 'cringworthy' chants are started by some of the more senior members of N01!

• 2 weeks later...

I think now might be a good chance to resurrect this topic.

Since I started it we have played Burnley at Home and Chelsea and Man U away.

The atmosphere at the Burnley game was top notch. From the Riverside (DE side) you could tell the whole ground was singing and there was a constant din, with pockets all over singing their own songs. The songs we sang were mainly to do with the rivalry as opposed to specifically supporting Rovers.

I reckon that the challenge starts here!......we don't play Burnley every week and there is no other club who pricks our passion bone like them, but we need to find a way of at least getting a fraction of the noise which we created against them.

We can't sing 'your mum's your dad' etc every week so what are we gonna sing on mass? Barmy Army? Big Sam's Blue and White Army (which is OK).

The question brings me back to my views expressed in the first post. Leave the innovative chants til we can even get the basics right....the basics being the simple songs which are 'more accessible' to the whole ground. Songs like 'Come on Rovers, come on Rovers'. What happens when we get a corner..........'Barmy Army'....it's hardly a rallying cry!

I'll be trying to get these 'bread n butter' chants going again wherever I go, so back me up!:

1) ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS, ROVERS (as Villa, Leicester, Boro, Chelsea sing)

2) Come on Rovers, Come on Rovers……

3) Da Da Da Dadadadaaa Dadadadaaa Rovers (as in Hey Jude) - got going in BBurn End v Burnley

4) Come on Ro-vers, Come on Ro-vers, Come on Ro-vers, come on.

5) We are the Rovers, we hate Burnley – (to replace Barmy Army !)

6) Ole ole ole ole Rovers Rovers

Good post Moorgate... the atmosphere at the Burnley game was fantastic and from my position in the centre of the Riverside you couls see all FOUR sides of the ground singing, bouncing etc. It could have been even better had we made more tickets available to our fans in the DE. Let's hope with the good behaviour in the ground we have more tickets next time. The Arse/Spurs Derby yesterday had hardly any 'no mans land'.

The atmosphere in the Riverside in general has improved over the last couple of years and long may that continue. Having Rovers fans in the Darwen End is also having a positive impact, lets hope we can get it as full as possible with the 'DE double' for the Pompey and Stoke games.

Think you will find, and i may start a riot here, but the Darwen end of the riverside now makes more noise and starts more songs than any other part of the ground.

Debate?

There is no debate to be had.

It is an utterly ridiculous suggestion.

Think you will find, and i may start a riot here, but the Darwen end of the riverside now makes more noise and starts more songs than any other part of the ground.

Debate?

Wrong... The Darwen End hasn't been that loud to be honest. The truth is, everyone seems to join in with the Blackburn End chants!

Wrong... The Darwen End hasn't been that loud to be honest. The truth is, everyone seems to join in with the Blackburn End chants!

Hate to pull you up but i said Riverside, not Darwen end.

3 chants from the Burnley match came from our block in the Riverside followed by the rest of the ground, happens evry home match now.

Think what has happened is thatt he lads who sung 10-15 years ago have moved on to the riverside and the kids in the BB end dont have the same background or understanding, comes from sitting down at football matches and not growing up on the terraces.

are you on the waccy nick...riverside never makes a sound.

just think that the BB end is too quiet, and it would really help if they fulfilled what there job is...ie get the ground rocking, having said that turn the sound system down a bit before the game. The job of the sound system should be to rally the crowd rather than drown it.

A good soundtrack is needed and someone with a persona and passion on the mic is required instead of some blokes girlfriend which we have now!!!

Archived