SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko

Kelbo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest andrewpickup

If only I could paper over any cracks in my job with the veil of ambiguity your average gossip coloumist does. Having said that its a journos job to provoke scandal and interest. Its down to the audience to react to it as they will. There is was and will be problems but a sacking was a fair way off

The rest of the football world would look on in disbelief and contempt if a club standing half way up the table, averaging more than the point a game needed to stay up, in the semi-final of a cup and that has had a zero (or negative) transfer budget for about 6 years.. sacks its manager. Particularly when there is no obvious replacement in sight (at this point Hughes fantasisers need to get a life - he ain't coming back).

Well dont be hitting him..... he's only just got over the hooker Andrews gave him :rolleyes:

Footballers? Hookers?......i hope you`re not suggesting owt? :unsure:

The rest of the football world would look on in disbelief and contempt if a club standing half way up the table, averaging more than the point a game needed to stay up, in the semi-final of a cup and that has had a zero (or negative) transfer budget for about 6 years.. sacks its manager. Particularly when there is no obvious replacement in sight (at this point Hughes fantasisers need to get a life - he ain't coming back).

Yes indeed.

We have little/no money, so those who want us to sack him think it is a wise idea? What about the cost of compensation and providing money for the in-coming manager? Plus the fact there is no obvious alternative out there who be an improvement.

Sam is by no means perfect, but I wish we could stop this spoilt moaning. We are in capable hands for now. The only way I would advocate him leaving at the moment, would be if he has completely lost the dressing room.

Footballers? Hookers?......i hope you`re not suggesting owt? :unsure:

ha ha - i missed the hookers and what have you. Has it kind of been confirmed that it was Andrews who gave Big Sam a left hook ? funny as - maybe they could both be shipped out.

All WE want is to play reasonably stylish football and to know that the Club is heading in the right direction ??

That is correct,isn't it?

Well - the answer to the first question has to be "No".

The second one I am not so sure on. There are, and have been all season, genuine reasons to be hopeful for the future. We have - for the first time since Dunn, Duff and Jansen - a number of up and coming young players coming into the team. Todays team had a good balance of youth and experience - and very importantly - more pace than we have had in the side for a long time.

The big question - is Sam the man to get the best of the young talent at his disposal. Maybe not in the short term - but his handling of Kalanic, Jones and Hoillet (if he stays) has (I think) been good - and will hopefully protect them for the longer term.

Who would be a manager :-)

Was I the only one around here who knew about some of the recent events?

I could have sworn some well-informed people kept pitching in. Every chance they knew far more than I did.

There are those who stick their head in the sand and there are those who take an interest.

Anyway, the focus is now on the signings that are needed.

examples please? :huh:

Perhaps I'm being unfair or just remembering certain past events incorrect, however I'm pretty certain there have been occasions where nicko has laid low for periods of time due to reactions to his stories. Either way I appear to have taken the 'Later all' comment wrongly, and I look forward to seeing how all this unfolds, as it seems on the verge of getting personal between the journalist and the manager.

I could have sworn some well-informed people kept pitching in. Every chance they knew far more than I did.

There are those who stick their head in the sand and there are those who take an interest.

Do you reckon we will get money from the trust now?

Great performance today in terms of fight and resilience but we are still in the woods. Sam is still not the man for me long term but I always cheer the team on regardless of whats happening on the pitch and always will do. This performance only offers us some hope of moving on and becoming a more entertaining team so the jury is still well and truly out on sams management of team tactics.

Nicko, regarding players, is sam likely to get some cash to buy players after the win today? Also, do you know whether or not todays result has had a big influence on the future of BS? Ie are we still discussing alternatives if sam doesn't work out?

Sorry, just realised everyone else is asking the same question

It's only to be expected. Sam's been put under pressure, it reaching the press only amplifies it, and he's got the result he wanted, so he's feeling a bit pleased with himself.

Bet £10 he wouldn't have mentioned it had things not gone his way today.

:glare: I think I would go £20

I hope Benni is not going to be sold to fund the likes of James beattie or we are going to be back to square 1 :unsure:

A true left back and a workhorse or creative player in midfield will do thanks, I just hope Sam is wise enough with the transfers and not a repeat of the summer.

I hope Benni is not going to be sold to fund the likes of James beattie or we are going to be back to square 1 :unsure:

A true left back and a workhorse or creative player in midfield will do thanks, I just hope Sam is wise enough with the transfers and not a repeat of the summer.

bet we endup with 2past it right backs, and maybe a striker who cant score

There was a lot of frank talking last week. It may have done some good all round.

Of course, the apologists will deny this, but never mind.

However there did seem to be some agreement that investment would be a good plan.

I would imagine today's result means the manager may get to spend.

Soon would be good. The window does shut.

Midfield HAS to be the priority. How you can start with Reid and Nzonzi is scary.

Obviously a striker would come in if you got rid of one.

How ironic. Benni has been offered here, there and everywhere and is constantly at loggerheads...and yet he is the main man today.

Football, bwuddy hell.

How ironic. Benni has been offered here, there and everywhere and is constantly at loggerheads...and yet he is the main man today.

Football, bwuddy hell.

Nicko - would be interested in your opinion on Benni.

Personally - I thought his overall game today was poor. We scored from a very poor Benni corner where we got lucky - and the second from an absolutely brilliant delivery.

He does offer moments of class - but he also gives the ball away at daft times and in stupid places. Personally I feel his moments of class are out weighed by general poor play and attitude. For every moment of class - there are more negative areas that give away possession that ultimately (though not always directly) leads to goals against.

Football is all about opinions - and I am sure many Rovers fans wouldn't agree with me - so would be interested in your views.

Nicko, wouldnt bet the story has fully gone away but least the result was positive today.

Heres to a week or two of deadwood flogging and decent signings.

I think the crisis is over.

But you will ntice that no-one has come in this window.

A couple of deals set up and not tied up.

Draw your own conclusions from that one.

Hopefully there will be some movement now. It is still needed.

Nicko - would be interested in your opinion on Benni.

McCarthy has talent but he does not apply himself as he should. He does not fit comfortably into any high-energy team.

He does have something to offer if you play with two up front against a side you should dominate.

I did notice that you had two out-and-out strikers today which was also interesting.

Can always read too much into things, but I thought these comments (in bold) were interesting from Sam.

"We're aware of the availability of Gary O'Neil from Middlesbrough," Allardyce said. "But at the moment we don't have any finances in place to move for any players."

He added: "If that changes and the board tells me there is, then we'll have a look in the market.

"If it doesn't, then we stay with what we've got."

Archived