BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Youth, Pace & Attacking

Hughesy

I think we have seen a much brighter future tonight and it has to be the way that we look to progress our club. Now obviously we still have alot of older players & will still have our struggles this season, but this more youthful side has to be the way which we look to progress. :brfc:

It all seems to be based around our young players, they are hungry & want the ball and seem far more keen to impress. They are more attack minded & they also earn far less in wages than some of our under-performing 'stars'.

Progressing well :tu:

Kalinic - 22

Olsson - 21

NZonzi - 21

Hoilett - 19 (We need to try and keep him)

Jury is still out on :rock:

Di Santo - 20

Jones - 17

Doran - 18

If we are to see the likes of Benni leave, id much rather see his £3m fee + wages spent on 2 or 3 young lads with real potential......further down the line it is also great for the club to continue successfully trading.

We need to seriously consider the lads mentioned such as Amine Linganzi, Paul Baysse & any others on our radar.

I think we have seen a much brighter future tonight and it has to be the way that we look to progress our club. . . . It all seems to be based around our young players, they are hungry & want the ball and seem far more keen to impress. They are more attack minded & they also earn far less in wages than some of our under-performing 'stars'.

100% agreed. We don't have the money to hire established stars. That means if we want talent (as opposed to the mediocre), we need to employ: the older players with talent but have slipped in their performance so they can't maintain in the 'bigger' clubs (Salgado); or, the young guys who have the talent but have not yet reached their peak. I think the younger players are the way to go, cheap with possible high resale values, allowing further investment.

...I swear to God, people here are acting like we have just won the Champions League or something.

I mean, yes, the young guys are obviously the way forward, but it's not like this should be a massive revelation to anyone. Nor does it mean that BFS will on the spot kick out Andrews and Diouf and play only with youngsters. He'll keep doing what he currently is - giving them chances and sticking with them if they prove successful, like Nzonzi, and hopefully now Olsson and Kalinic.

But let's take a moment and remind ourselves that we have also just been soundly beaten in our biggest, and probably last significant (in terms of prize) game of the season. Rarely have I seen a group of supporters so cheerful after such an event. We're not a League 2 club that has to be ecstatic just for the fact that for a period we managed to give a Premiership side a go ffs.

But let's take a moment and remind ourselves that we have also just been soundly beaten in our biggest, and probably last significant (in terms of prize) game of the season. Rarely have I seen a group of supporters so cheerful after such an event.

If you don't understand why, I venture that you're not looking at the big picture, and possibly don't understand a few things about heart and spirit, some of the things that make a real football fan. Sorry to say. Tonight was gutting, nobody would deny, but we showed enough in the manner of the performance to demonstrate that our form is a blip, and that we have prospects for the future. Given that several players will be leaving for nothing in the summer, that is highly reassuring.

If you don't understand why, I venture that you're not looking at the big picture, and possibly don't understand a few things about heart and spirit, some of the things that make a real football fan. Sorry to say. Tonight was gutting, nobody would deny, but we showed enough in the manner of the performance to demonstrate that our form is a blip, and that we have prospects for the future. Given that several players will be leaving for nothing in the summer, that is highly reassuring.

Wow. So the entire season, including BFS's endless tactical ineptitude, which resulted in the majority of the forum calling for his head just a week ago, has been a "blip"? And that because we scored two consolation goals we are supposed to be filled with hope that everything is going to change?

Our young players definitely have potential, but without proper organization and leadership, that will not take us far. Getting tonked time and time again away from home and showing such helplessness and lack of determination in defending, an issue BFS has entirely failed to address, shows that he does not have the skill required to mold these players into a proper team. We need someone with a footballing mind if we want to have a footballing team.

Wow. So the entire season, including BFS's endless tactical ineptitude, which resulted in the majority of the forum calling for his head just a week ago, has been a "blip"? And that because we scored two consolation goals we are supposed to be filled with hope that everything is going to change?

Our young players definitely have potential, but without proper organization and leadership, that will not take us far. Getting tonked time and time again away from home and showing such helplessness and lack of determination in defending, an issue BFS has entirely failed to address, shows that he does not have the skill required to mold these players into a proper team. We need someone with a footballing mind if we want to have a footballing team.

BFS's tactical ineptitude which just a couple of months ago had us as one of the best form sides at Home. Not to mention, despite our poor defensive record away from home, we have managed to keep a number of clean sheets as well, which I can only imagine would be above average in the league.

We are excited about the potential because Kalinic has once again scored a brace against a good team, Olsson has scored for the first time in I don't know how long and has been absolutely fantastic in the last 2 games.

People were calling for his head because they are delusional doom merchants, who still have nightmares about Ince's reign and having knee jerk reactions because we were going on a similar winless run. A run that a lot of clubs go on, including clubs like Aston Villa and Manchester City. Knee jerk reactions that were happening at a time when we were 13th and not at the foot of the table like under Ince, mind you.

Yes, we lost the semi final, but there were 16 other Premier League teams that didn't even reach that far.

Miker you are incredibly consistent. And you are right.

We are currently on track for a 41.45 point season (24 points/22 games x 38). There are 6 teams with a less than 1 point per game average. We are not heading for Europe (mixed blessing), but we are on track to survive another year. :)

No, what I said is our FORM has been a blip. I did not say our season has been a blip. As others have just pointed out, our season hasn't been so horrific so far, even if the entertainment values of the game have been. And that would be FOUR consolation goals...quite a lot of consolation for a team with ten-men who everyone had written off, in a game which we were in control of til we went to ten men. As Smoss said, we aren't going to be relegated and we aren't going to be getting into Europe, so seeing some bottle in the team (too lacking for too long) and the prospect of a rosier future due to talented youth on the books is SOME reason for solace. Must you wrench that small comfort from your fellow fans, because you want to continue to focus on Sam's shortcomings? The players themselves did nothing wrong overall tonight, and I'm pretty proud of them. Yes, more than scraping a win over Fulham, despite the differing outcomes.

I think we have seen a much brighter future tonight and it has to be the way that we look to progress our club. Now obviously we still have alot of older players & will still have our struggles this season, but this more youthful side has to be the way which we look to progress. :brfc:

It all seems to be based around our young players, they are hungry & want the ball and seem far more keen to impress. They are more attack minded & they also earn far less in wages than some of our under-performing 'stars'.

Progressing well :tu:

Kalinic - 22

Olsson - 21

NZonzi - 21

Hoilett - 19 (We need to try and keep him)

Jury is still out on :rock:

Di Santo - 20

Jones - 17

Doran - 18

If we are to see the likes of Benni leave, id much rather see his £3m fee + wages spent on 2 or 3 young lads with real potential......further down the line it is also great for the club to continue successfully trading.

We need to seriously consider the lads mentioned such as Amine Linganzi, Paul Baysse & any others on our radar.

Agreed, and in fairness, the guys BS has brought in (Barring diouffy to some extent) have been very good, also, as demonstrated last night, he's not afraid to use them. Also interested in the guys we seem to linked with falling into that category.

just because the usual drama queens on here who shout the loudest were jumping on the bandwaggon, does not mean that they are representative of the Rovers crowd in general.

Hughesey is often seen as too optimistic, but I tend to agree that there were real signs last night that we have some very good young talent again and that BFS is probably the right manager to bring them through slowly. Dare I say it - in much the same way Souness did so well when he first arrived at the club, by mixing duff, dunn and jansen with some of the older senior pro's.

• 3 months later...

Now Hanley has taken his 1st steps with a clean sheet..

Liganzi looked good too, and quite decent pace.

Since I started this thread we have also seen Jones, Olsson, Hoilett & Kalinic progress further.

• Backroom

Certainly is an exciting time for Rovers all of a sudden, good young players coming through now if Sam is allowed to pursue his targets we could really progress!

Stark contrast to some of the stuff we have seen earlier this season and especially the one before

• 3 weeks later...

Archived