BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Am I The Only One

Kelbo

Watched Stoke today. I know Pederson is doing it now, but i dont pay money to see a football match to watch Rory Delap or anyone else polishing a football with a towel, it should be banned!!

One throw today actually took 38 seconds!!!

That is disgraceful!!

Watched Stoke today. I know Pederson is doing it now, but i dont pay money to see a football match to watch Rory Delap or anyone else polishing a football with a towel, it should be banned!!

That is disgraceful!!

What annoys me more is when players walk about 10 yards down the line and then throw it in yet the referee and linesmen don't really say anything.

What annoys me more is when players walk about 10 yards down the line and then throw it in yet the referee and linesmen don't really say anything.

The point here is the time factor and the towels are provided for the home team only!!

Should be for both teams but hey, only 10 throws per team = 20 throws x 38 seconds is almost 15 minutes a game for bloody throw ins!!!

They aren't allowed to only give the towels to the home team. When we play there pedersen will be allowed to use the towels in the same way as delap otherwise the ref usually asks for them to be taken away.

Never seen that happen but I will take your point Ricky, thanks!

Its something I actually mentioned last year, just dont agree with it at all!!

Even when Rovers do it, no part in football for me!!

Fair enough!

It gets on my nerves when people start going on about something just because 'expert' pundits have decided to make it a crusade (usually a small team doing something against a big team).

I'm pleased to see that you're not in this category!

Edit - Further thoughts, though.

Trouble is, is it not right to bring the big lads up for a corner? That takes time, too. How about 3 players stood over the ball discussing a free kick got a minute before it gets taken? Happens a lot and that gets on my nerves, especially when the resultant free kick goes sailing into the Blackburn End...

Its something I actually mentioned last year, just dont agree with it at all!!

Even when Rovers do it, no part in football for me!!

agreed, watching pederson do it on national tv during the cc semi final was very embarrasing.

Its part of the game and im surprised not more teams use it, I have to say though that teams get too reliant on things like this, Rovers with there free kicks to Samba, Villa's short corners, stokes long throws, wouldnt hurt to mix things up now and again.

I have to agree though that the time it takes is annoying but if the ref stops his watch what can you do.

Fair enough!

It gets on my nerves when people start going on about something just because 'expert' pundits have decided to make it a crusade (usually a small team doing something against a big team).

I'm pleased to see that you're not in this category!

Edit - Further thoughts, though.

Trouble is, is it not right to bring the big lads up for a corner? That takes time, too. How about 3 players stood over the ball discussing a free kick got a minute before it gets taken? Happens a lot and that gets on my nerves, especially when the resultant free kick goes sailing into the Blackburn End...

The difference here is a free kick is due to an infringement of the opposition, a throw in is due to a part of the game where its simply a throw, nothing else!!

The point here is the time factor and the towels are provided for the home team only!!

Should be for both teams but hey, only 10 throws per team = 20 throws x 38 seconds is almost 15 minutes a game for bloody throw ins!!!

One commentator even said the teacher in the news for having the longest throw should be give a 'job' coaching long throw ins. Sad to say. but these long throw in may soon be the norm. You said about the time factor for one of these throw ins stoke did. Don't forget that even when a player comes from the opposite end of the pitch to take any throw in it can often take 30 seconds. I suppose players would think twice if when the ball is not in play the clock is stopped, which I thought it was anyway - so no advantage. The towel yes should be available for both teams and not just the home team.

That is disgraceful!!

I thought it was funny when the ref allowed Delap to prepare a throw, then blew straight for HT.

Pedersen's long-throws torture me to no end, because not only do they waste time but they're bloody useless!

Had to laugh, in fact split my sides when Stoke scored from the throw in, only a few weeks ago Wenger did an article about them(long throws) saying they have no part in the game, the ball is to be kicked (football) the throw should be replaced by a kick in. How about heading Mr Wenger. He really does hate any team having an advantage over his worldies.

He really needs to stay off those smokes.

Last time I saw a ball being kicked it travelled further faster and more bend than any throw in, why do defenders find it so hard to defend a long throw when a free kick from the same position would be no doubt just nodded away?.

I do think the towels need to go.

That is disgraceful!!

What? They're actually using towels now? I thought you were referring to his shirt or something in a facetious manner, so I was going to point out how players stand around yapping at free kicks, as someone else did. That's ridiculous though, and I can't say I noticed Pedersen doing it.

What's next? Having a shoe shiner run on before free kicks, goal kicks and corners to polish boots? Bloody daft! Just use your shirt if you want to dry the ball!

How about, and I'm just throwing out an idea here, the clock only runs when the ball is in play?

It used to regularly be shown how much of the game the ball was in play and it was usually around the 60 minute mark. So lets make the game two 30 minute halfs of the ball actually in play?

Fannying around with throw-ins, free kicks, players down injured etc would not affect the game time. Time wasting gone in one fell swoop (except for those teams that can actually keep possession of the ball in play ;-)

Couldn't work at grass roots level so you'd have to keep the traditional time system there, admittedly.

Before people say it can't be done, it clearly can be done and has been in the NFL for decades.

Would this also open up a realistic possibility of a fifth 'video replay' official?

Am I the only one who couldn't care less what they dry the balls with?

However, overall, watching Stoke is even worse than watching us, and they are slowly turning into the 'New Bolton,' just with absolutely no degree of flair whatsoever.

Agree, should be stamped out, it's getting like Rugby Union or American Football, there will be "Quarters" next FFS.

Actually, this isn't as infuriating as watching teams who leave no strikers up field AT ALL when the opposition takes a throw or a corner, WTF do they think is going to happen to the possession after the set piece???

Sourness, MH and Ince used to do it with us and yet you watch the likes of France, Chelski and Even Stoke, they leave a substantial threat on the 1/2 way line and at least a player or 2 on the edge of the box.

i.e. You nullify our threat (Reducing yours) or you pay the penalty approach (Simples!)

I mean, how many times have we been most vulnerable from our own corners in the past???!!!

Agree, should be stamped out, it's getting like Rugby Union or American Football, there will be "Quarters" next FFS.

Actually, this isn't as infuriating as watching teams who leave no strikers up field AT ALL when the opposition takes a throw or a corner, WTF do they think is going to happen to the possession after the set piece???

Sourness, MH and Ince used to do it with us and yet you watch the likes of France, Chelski and Even Stoke, they leave a substantial threat on the 1/2 way line and at least a player or 2 on the edge of the box.

i.e. You nullify our threat (Reducing yours) or you pay the penalty approach (Simples!)

I mean, how many times have we been most vulnerable from our own corners in the past???!!!

Great point that and I agree 100%

Archived