BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Potential Summer Transfers (2010)

There's way too much crap that gets written about Boydy. Lets deal in facts. He's scored more SPL goals than Henrik Larsson did. 63 of those were for Kilmarnock (ie, not an Old Firm team). Would you have taken Larsson when he left C_ltic? He was 32 at the time - Boyd is 26.

He would be the best finisher we've had at this club since Shearer. He's that good in front of goal.

But if he is that good why are the best clubs in europe not lining up to buy him like they did with Larsson?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would be the best finisher we've had at this club since Shearer. He's that good in front of goal.

Sounds like he'll appeal to Sam then, being on a free and fitting this 'goalscorer' profile he keeps going on about.

We'd be insane not to consider him, we've got a few positions to buy for and not much money. What's he like injury wise? I think we'd be stronger getting rid of Di Santo and getting Boyd on a free.

But if he is that good why are the best clubs in europe not lining up to buy him like they did with Larsson?

Quite simply, because he is Scottish. If he was from some European country he would be far more revered. Also, Larsson had been around a lot longer and had established an excellent reputation. He was 26 when he went to the SPL, same age Boyd is now.

Fact is, his nationality is irrelevant, and his record speaks volumes.

Sounds like he'll appeal to Sam then, being on a free and fitting this 'goalscorer' profile he keeps going on about.

We'd be insane not to consider him, we've got a few positions to buy for and not much money. What's he like injury wise? I think we'd be stronger getting rid of Di Santo and getting Boyd on a free.

His injury record is excellent, he's played more than 40 games for Rangers the last 3 seasons (scoring more than 25 goals in each). Not bad for a "fat lad".

I've been pondering over Boyd. Now in a way he's a bit like Benni, scores goals but doesn't bring a lot else to the table. But unlike Benni he's still doing it and scoring for fun. Now Sam has said of two of our strikers, Benni and derbs that goals just aren't enough for him from a striker. But, I'm going to disagree on this one.

Boyd's on a free, wouldn't need much more than 30K a week and is flying in the father land. Now we despesperatly need a striker who can get double figures and with as always next to no money to spend surely we need to comprimise. Boyds goal scoring record is next to none, he is clinical to the Nth degree, so why not.

Even if he flops we'd be able to sell him to another club, just based on his exploits north of the border. He will need a partner and perhaps him and Kalinic could link up well. He doesn't have pace but if Dindanes coming then him and Roberts have that to a degree. But we must sign a goal scorer for next year, if we are to look upwards.

The fact he's on a free means little dent in the budget as we have one or two contracts expiring so they should cover it. It also means whatever Dollar we do have left from the new TV money can be spent where we so desperatly need it central midfield, preferably on someone who can carry the ball and create and that will not be cheap.

I'm in B4E, it would be great to have a Jock in the blue and white.

As for Boyd - im not sure - anyone seems to score goals in Scotland so its hard to judge..

Usual bullshit from the uneducated.

Go and look at the figures. NO-ONE has ever scored as many goals in the SPL as Boyd. Not Larsson, not Viduka, not Van-Hooijdonk, not Sutton. The list goes on. He's the most consistent by far. Does "anyone" score 63 goals for Kilmarnock?

Guest roverspogges

Basturk4england

That's not an uneducated view at all, the lad (Boyd) has never, to my knowledge, played in the premiership so it's a perfectly valid point to make.

Always hard to judge players from the SPL, but on a free that could be some very tidy bit of business.

Some genuinely quality players haven't made it south of the boarder, whereas some slightly more surprising ones (Fletcher down the road) take to it like a duck to water).

Boyd has faults, no point disputing that, but if he came he'd by default be the best finisher at the club.

Basturk4england

That's not an uneducated view at all, the lad (Boyd) has never, to my knowledge, played in the premiership so it's a perfectly valid point to make.

Boyd has never played in the Premier League, so therefore "anyone can score in Scotland" is a perfectly valid point to make? Care to explain how you've made that connection?

Boyd has all ready held talked with villa and Birmingham, So i would guess he off to one of them. He has been injured for a few games this season as well and been on the subs bench(not sure why, i think for moaning), the guy is class for rangers would not be in the top 2 without him this season, he would score 15 goals easy if he joined a mid table epl club like us,

Boyd has faults, no point disputing that, but if he came he'd by default be the best finisher at the club.

Can't argue with any of that.

Fletcher seems to have adjusted well at Burnley and he was nowhere near as prolific as Boyd.

Actually, don't people with excellent goal scoring records in the SPL generally do well when they move on?

Yes - Viduka, Larsson, Van Hooijdonk and Fletcher, off the top of my head. Looking at it the other way, Sutton and Hartson both had good goalscoring records in England - did they blow everyone out of the water in Scotland? No, they did well, but others did better.

Boyd has all ready held talked with villa and Birmingham, So i would guess he off to one of them. He has been injured for a few games this season as well and been on the subs bench(not sure why, i think for moaning), the guy is class for rangers would not be in the top 2 without him this season, he would score 15 goals easy if he joined a mid table epl club like us,

Boyd sits on the bench because Walter Smith, although a very good manager, plays a generally fairly negative system, with one up front (sound familiar?). Boyd is not best suited to this. Kenny Miller however is an excellent lone striker, so he tends to get the nod. Boyd still outscores him quite comfortably.

Usual bullshit from the uneducated.

Go and look at the figures. NO-ONE has ever scored as many goals in the SPL as Boyd. Not Larsson, not Viduka, not Van-Hooijdonk, not Sutton. The list goes on.

Typical backs against the wall fighting from the Scots! :lol: You cannot say its not easier for players in Scotland?! Its a mickey mouse league! (And before you start - half of my family are from Scotland)

Marc-Antoine Fortune - Celtic 18 league games, 8 goals - 2.25 games

Marc-Antoine - West Brom 17 games, 5 goals - 3.4 games per goal

Larson - Celtic 221 league games, 174 goals - 1.27 games per goal

Larson - United 7 league games, 1 goal - 7 games per goal

Barry Ferguson - 1 season at Ranges - 36 games - 16 goals - 2.25 games per goal

Barry Ferguson - @ Ewood - 36 games - 3 goals - 12 games per goal

Barry Ferguson - @ Birmingham - 20 games - 0 goals - 20 games and counting...

Chris Sutton - England 278 games - 85 goals - 3.27 games per goal

Chris Sutton - Scotland 130 games - 64 goals - 2.03 games per goal

Mark Viduka - Newcastle - 38 games - 7 goals - 5.42 games per goal

Mark Viduka - Celtic - 37 games - 30 goals - 1.23 games per goal

The above stats simply prove that you shouldnt simply go off the fact that players can score goals in Scotland...it means nothing in terms of what you will get in England....

You cannot say its not easier for players in Scotland?! Its a mickey mouse league! (And before you start - half of my family are from Scotland)

Erm........I didnt. You're arguing against something I havent even said.

Lets break down your numbers.

Fortune's record is quite similar.

Larsson only played 7 games for United so comparing it to his time at a club where he made 221 appearances is ridiculous.

Ferguson isn't a striker.

You've chosen Viduka's time at Newcastle very deliberately - you may have forgotten he spent 4 years at Leeds and 3 at Middlesbrough in between playing in the SPL and joining Newcastle. Being 7 years older would likely be as big a consideration as where he was playing his football, if not bigger.

The only one comparison you've made that has any credibility is Sutton - and we all know how good he was in England!

The above stats simply prove that you shouldnt simply go off the fact that players can score goals in Scotland...it means nothing in terms of what you will get in England....

.......however, they do not prove that you should write a player off because he's the record goalscorer in SPL history.

I would like us to get Boyd personally due to his finishing and tehre would be times this yr if them chances gone to boyd not roberst etc we would have had an extra 2 points e.g. west ham away, saying that though how many chances a game he get in a full 90 minutes at rangers 3-4-5???

Over here he will only get 1 maybe 2 if very lucky, My mate is a rangers fan says he good in front of goal however hed be very surpirsed with his work ethnic etc if hemade it really good in the prem especially down to the difference in class of defenders :( However i would still ike to try him for free and see how he does, Im sure hed be looking to prove a point - He wasnt on the start for Scotland in Craigs first game in charge also.

Typical backs against the wall fighting from the Scots! :lol: You cannot say its not easier for players in Scotland?! Its a mickey mouse league! (And before you start - half of my family are from Scotland)

Wed 520:00 H Hibernian Friendly D 0-0

Sat 812:00 A Dundee United Friendly L 2-0

also : St Johnstone 1, Burnley FC 0

cherry picking i know :-), but it ant that bad, comparable to championship but with leas money.

Wed 520:00 H Hibernian Friendly D 0-0

Sat 812:00 A Dundee United Friendly L 2-0

also : St Johnstone 1, Burnley FC 0

cherry picking i know :-), but it ant that bad, comparable to championship but with leas money.

Surely we can't compare meaningless friendlies to a compeative prem league game here - Can we??? Surely these are made to get the players fit etc not exactly go out all guns blazing :)

Guest roverspogges

Basturk4England

The point still stands - you can have a great goalscoring record in a league with lesser quality players but it's a different proposition for said player to do the same in the premiership.

Please clarify what you're on about because I think you don't know yourself.

Basturk4England

The point still stands - you can have a great goalscoring record in a league with lesser quality players but it's a different proposition for said player to do the same in the premiership.

Please clarify what you're on about because I think you don't know yourself.

The point Hughesy made was "it seems anyone can score in Scotland". I disagree with that. The point you're making seemingly has no connection to this statement, yet you have quoted me to make it.

As a result, I have no idea what you're "on about".

Surely we can't compare meaningless friendlies to a compeative prem league game here - Can we??? Surely these are made to get the players fit etc not exactly go out all guns blazing :)

only games i can think of where "mid teams" from each league have played each other... my point is SPL is not a Mickymouse league. Boyd is no more a gamble than Kalinic.

Guest roverspogges

We both know what he means - he was implying (spelling) that a player from a lesser league can score a hatful of goals and may not cut it at the highest level. Which is/was a valid point.

Wasn't Liam Miller meant to be the next big thing in Scottish football after starring for Celtic? We all know how much of an impact he had on the premier league.

I don't think you can judge how good a player is in the SPL, to add another name to Hughes's list:

Tore Andre Flo:

Chelsea 112(34) 0.30 goals/game

Rangers 72(38) 0.53 goals/game

Sunderland 29(4)0.13 goals/game

Having said that, Boyde on a free would be a good gamble for Rovers

Boyd is no more a gamble than Kalinic.

Thats as good a way to put it as any. He's free, so he's less of a gamble, but he's older so it evens itself out.

Bottom line is, he has a great scoring record and is well worth a shot. Some are writing him off because he's "only scored goals in Scotland". That makes no sense. There's plenty of examples of players who have managed to score plenty both sides of the border, and if anything the stats show Boyd to be amongst the best of the lot.

We both know what he means - he was implying (spelling) that a player from a lesser league can score a hatful of goals and may not cut it at the highest level. Which is/was a valid point.

Indeed it is, but its also a point I haven't argued against. Never once have I said Boyd will definitely score goals in England due to his record in Scotland. All I've done is show thats its perfectly possible, and therefore worth taking a chance on.

Guest roverspogges

And I agree with you that Boyd would be a good signing, especially on a free, just thought you were a bit harsh on hughsey for making a very good point.

however, they do not prove that you should write a player off because he's the record goalscorer in SPL history.

Im not saying I would write him off - I believe if on a free he would be worth a gamble, im just saying that because he has a great scoring record in Scotland, does not necessarily mean he will be a hit here - its a much tougher league to score goals in!

As for Viduka and cherry picking the newcastle spell. He has a much better scoring record at Celtic than he did at any English club - inc Boro or Leeds

Archived