BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Potential Summer Transfers (2010)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who thinks Rangers create a shedload of chances are clearly lucky enough to not have had to watch much of Rangers recently.

Rangers create five or six chances in a game. Which is four or five more than we create.

Rangers create five or six chances in a game. Which is four or five more than we create.

:wstu:

So we created 1 or 2 chances against Bolton(Total attempts on goal - 13)? 1 or 2 chances against Liverpool(Total attempts on goal - 13)? 1 or 2 chances against Hull(Total attempts at goal - 20!)

Do shut up.

Isnt Piquionne the one Eddie dismissed in the summer as being absolutely abysmal and a player who would never make it in the prem.... I'm sure it was Piquionne he was on about.

Looked pretty decent today.

Believe me, for anyone who has seen him before his relative success at Pompey it's a mystery. He was widely regarded as the worst striker in Ligue 1 when he left.

Thats as good a way to put it as any. He's free, so he's less of a gamble, but he's older so it evens itself out.

Bottom line is, he has a great scoring record and is well worth a shot. Some are writing him off because he's "only scored goals in Scotland". That makes no sense. There's plenty of examples of players who have managed to score plenty both sides of the border, and if anything the stats show Boyd to be amongst the best of the lot.

(This is a question, not a statement)

The players mentioned before in this discussion all had good scoring records in European competitions, can the same be said for Boyd?

(This is a question, not a statement)

The players mentioned before in this discussion all had good scoring records in European competitions, can the same be said for Boyd?

Decent point - unfortunately Walter refuses to start Boyd in Europe. If you followed Rangers on the UEFA Cup run a couple of years ago you'll have seen that hardly anyone scores in Europe for them, it was a steady system of 0-0 draws at home and nicking an away goal in the second leg to sneak through.

As I've said already in this, Rangers are a very defensive team, they create very few chances. The ones they do create, 9 times out of 10 Boyd takes them.

I've been derided for this before but here goes anyway--why wouldn't we sign Nugent in the summer? Pompey offered him to Burnley for 1M which is absolutely nothing for a striker of any ability at all. We're expecting twice that if Roberts goes. The lad is still only 25 and even if he didn't recover the form that got him an England cap, he's still good enough to be 3rd or 4th choice striker which we'll need anyway. If he were to get back to top form we'd be laughing.Seems an obvious move to me.

Anyone know anything about the striker that has been linked?

Cacau? Seen him play a few times and he's a decent player, but nothing particularly special. Scores some spectacular goals every once in a while. Never seems to be a prolific goalscorer, but does a job. Can't really see him being an improvement on what we already have.

Cacau? Seen him play a few times and he's a decent player, but nothing particularly special. Scores some spectacular goals every once in a while. Never seems to be a prolific goalscorer, but does a job. Can't really see him being an improvement on what we already have.

Only seen him a couple of times but looked very good. Goal ratio of 1 in 3, full german international and plays for top German team. I'd say he'd be big improvement on what we've already got!

I've been derided for this before but here goes anyway--why wouldn't we sign Nugent in the summer? Pompey offered him to Burnley for 1M which is absolutely nothing for a striker of any ability at all.

Cant see him being available for £1m. If so then £1m is a good deal!

Can't really see him being an improvement on what we already have.

Not better than Roberts!? Wow thats poor!

Nugent reminds me of Derbyshire in that it's hard to know what to do with him. He's too lightweight for a striker so he always end up being shunted out wide. To be fair he put in some good performances for Pompey there, but I still don't see the point of buying him. He'd just be treading on Hoilett's toes.

I don't see the benefit in signing a player for 'just £1m' when he'd barely improve on what we already have. We signed N'Zonzi for the same amount and he's been an absolute bargain. I'd rather bring somebody in on loan or spend a bit bigger and get a player that would improve the first team. This was Hughes's policy and it worked well. Maybe bring Nugent in on loan with a view to buy, but we shouldn't buy him just for the sake of it.

after watching tonights Wigan game the one area we need to improve is in the striking department we should be trying to build a team around Niko Dindane etc. I would also say we need to get rid of Roberts as well as disanto send him back and I would hazard a guess after his loan period here will be a failure at Chelsea and will move on loan probably to the championsip as that is prob. more his level. After watching the wigan vs L'pool game tonight it is very easy to see why we are not further up the table and the difference between us and Wigan tonight is one thing Rodallega is a clinical finisher and will take chances when they come along but obviously DiSanto can't and that is what is missing. Looking back in the game before xmas we defended superbly so did everything right but a quality finisher is what we are lacking. As said Niko shows real quality the rest show no quality whatsoever DiSanto needs to go back all I have to say on the matter well done Sam what a waste of 6 months wages well done for extending his loan and is yet to repay his faith in the manager. Roberts should also go and bring in 2 strikers who know how to put the ball in the back of the net from one on ones.

Archived