BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Potential Summer Transfers (2010)

Fletcher seems to have adjusted well at Burnley and he was nowhere near as prolific as Boyd.

Actually, don't people with excellent goal scoring records in the SPL generally do well when they move on?

Not sure about that. Loads of players have come down from Scotland and been decent enough for lower half Premiership/top half Championship teams - McFadden, Ferguson, Feltcher, Robson etc etc but no one has really looked first rate since Viduka in his Leeds days or Tugay when we got him.

Certainly no one has scored considerable amounts of goals in recent years.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are a lower half Premier League team though Joey. Surely we wouldnt be expecting a freebie signing from the SPL to come down and do better than the likes of Viduka?

I certainly dont think Boyd should be our main figurehead up front - we've already got one of those - but he's an improvement on the rest.

Can he play on the wing? or in the hole? Can't see Sam changing his lone striker policy (if he really wants Kalinic to reach his full potential he should be doing so).

Just because someone shines in that complete joke of a league doesn't mean they will be a success elsewhere. He might move on and do a good job, but a fair few players that look superstars in that ###### poor league move and look way out of their depth.

Just because someone shines in that complete joke of a league doesn't mean they will be a success elsewhere. He might move on and do a good job, but a fair few players that look superstars in that ###### poor league move and look way out of their depth.

Feel free to give examples as others on the thread have.

Martin Palermo, Juan Riquelme and Federico Insua. All from Boca Juniors. People might say, that we will not be able to sign them. However, Palermo and Riquelme would be very good signings.

Martin Palermo, Juan Riquelme and Federico Insua. All from Boca Juniors. People might say, that we will not be able to sign them. However, Palermo and Riquelme would be very good signings.

As would Wayne Rooney! :rolleyes:

I really don't think that Chris Boyd would do much for us. There's no doubt that he's a great finisher, but he gets plenty of chances playing for Rangers and thus scores a lot of goals. Unless we bring in some quality players who can make a number of chances every game, he wouldn't do a thing. People got annoyed when Benni McCarthy didn't work hard. Well Benni would look hyperactive compared to Boyd. If he signed on a free transfer it wouldn't be all bad, but I don't see him making any sort of impact at this level. If he went to someone like Arsenal, he probably would score a good few goals, because they make so many chances.

Some of the debate over what is essentially a moot point, is comical. Boyd isn't here, hasn't signed and who knows where he'll be next season? He's scored in the SPL, while that means absolutely jack in the Premier League, it does mean he knows HOW to score goals. After that, he's as much a gamble as any player coming from what is effectively a lower level of football. Let's face it, Rangers have maybe 8 games a season (ignoring Europe) that should be testing with a couple more that teams will give them a good game in.

I think he'd be worth a shout though. He'll be cheap and have something to prove. As long as he is a hungry player he should be able to make it because I think he is actually a pretty decent player.

:o Please lads keep the details to yourself! :huh::lol:

ROFLMAO, was it good for you B4E?

Typical backs against the wall fighting from the Scots! :lol: You cannot say its not easier for players in Scotland?! Its a mickey mouse league! (And before you start - half of my family are from Scotland)

Marc-Antoine Fortune - Celtic 18 league games, 8 goals - 2.25 games

Marc-Antoine - West Brom 17 games, 5 goals - 3.4 games per goal

Larson - Celtic 221 league games, 174 goals - 1.27 games per goal

Larson - United 7 league games, 1 goal - 7 games per goal

Barry Ferguson - 1 season at Ranges - 36 games - 16 goals - 2.25 games per goal

Barry Ferguson - @ Ewood - 36 games - 3 goals - 12 games per goal

Barry Ferguson - @ Birmingham - 20 games - 0 goals - 20 games and counting...

Chris Sutton - England 278 games - 85 goals - 3.27 games per goal

Chris Sutton - Scotland 130 games - 64 goals - 2.03 games per goal

Mark Viduka - Newcastle - 38 games - 7 goals - 5.42 games per goal

Mark Viduka - Celtic - 37 games - 30 goals - 1.23 games per goal

The above stats simply prove that you shouldnt simply go off the fact that players can score goals in Scotland...it means nothing in terms of what you will get in England....

Same applies to every signing not from the premiership. What I would say is at least its a physical league, like the premiership. Boyd's done bloody well considering he's 26 to amass that amount of goals no matter what level it is, I doubt there are many players in any league the world over that can match him.

Can he play on the wing? or in the hole? Can't see Sam changing his lone striker policy (if he really wants Kalinic to reach his full potential he should be doing so).

I had the same argument from a chap at Uni recently and I put him back in his place. Mickey mouse league why because only two teams out of ten challenge each year? People might want to check how many teams there are in the premiership and how many have won it.

20 teams, with four winners ever. 1 team has won it once since its inception so that leaves three regular challengers over the years. 3 divided by twenty equals 0.15 or 15% of the teams in the league.

10 teams in the SPL, 2 winners in recent times. 2 divided by 10 = 20% of the teams in the league.

And we're mickey mouse???? Even if I add back in Rovers its still the same as ours.

Off course the standard is lower we have a population of 5 million people, you have over 60 million. So of course the standard is lower but looking at that we have a far lesser base to work with and yet still are there or there abouts internationally.

Call us a complete joke, I say the premiership is complete joke, you don't even have the majority of players in your own league being from your own country (34% English, Scotland 52% and rising). Its not an English league anymore, its a European league, at least ours is our own regardless of how you perceive its standard.

You rely on us the Scots to give your teams the coaching they need, since you can't produce top level ones yourselves. Employing an Italian because you suck in this department (mourinho did his badges in our country, why because we're rated higher than you). Most successful managers in your league are us JOCKS!!!!

I'll put my money where my mouth is whoever Boyd joins and it will most likely be an English team he'll score over 10 league goals next year, something no-one at Rovers looks like doing this year.

SIGN HIM UP SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He most certainly knows where the goal is, no else at our does at present.

ROFLMAO, was it good for you B4E?

Same applies to every signing not from the premiership. What I would say is at least its a physical league, like the premiership. Boyd's done bloody well considering he's 26 to amass that amount of goals no matter what level it is, I doubt there are many players in any league the world over that can match him.

I had the same argument from a chap at Uni recently and I put him back in his place. Mickey mouse league why because only two teams out of ten challenge each year? People might want to check how many teams there are in the premiership and how many have won it.

20 teams, with four winners ever. 1 team has won it once since its inception so that leaves three regular challengers over the years. 3 divided by twenty equals 0.15 or 15% of the teams in the league.

10 teams in the SPL, 2 winners in recent times. 2 divided by 10 = 20% of the teams in the league.

And we're mickey mouse???? Even if I add back in Rovers its still the same as ours.

Off course the standard is lower we have a population of 5 million people, you have over 60 million. So of course the standard is lower but looking at that we have a far lesser base to work with and yet still are there or there abouts internationally.

Call us a complete joke, I say the premiership is complete joke, you don't even have the majority of players in your own league being from your own country (34% English, Scotland 52% and rising). Its not an English league anymore, its a European league, at least ours is our own regardless of how you perceive its standard.

You rely on us the Scots to give your teams the coaching they need, since you can't produce top level ones yourselves. Employing an Italian because you suck in this department (mourinho did his badges in our country, why because we're rated higher than you). Most successful managers in your league are us JOCKS!!!!

I'll put my money where my mouth is whoever Boyd joins and it will most likely be an English team he'll score over 10 league goals next year, something no-one at Rovers looks like doing this year.

SIGN HIM UP SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He most certainly knows where the goal is, no else at our does at present.

Yet you'll be staying at home this summer

Isnt Piquionne the one Eddie dismissed in the summer as being absolutely abysmal and a player who would never make it in the prem.... I'm sure it was Piquionne he was on about.

Looked pretty decent today.

Boyd is a goal scorer in a very poor leauge he scores in the games against the others very rarely against celtic and is not used in europe because outside of the box he gives nothing at all. Sam would not have a player like him in his team and i don't know if he could be a hit in the prem i might be wrong but not for me.

after watching the game today I agree with the earlier poster Piquionne & O'Hara would be good signings. O'Hara reminds me a bit like Duff in his earlier days with us has an absolutely amazing left foot thought he scored today with that shot outside the box. Both would be an improvement on what we have but O'Hara would be hard to do as Spurs would probably ask for the moon on a plate for him! prob. out of our price range.

Archived