BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Greatest Player Ever?

Wrong again. Maradona was nowhere near as complete a footballer as Pele, and neither did he exert as much influence on the pitch. Football is also a game of beauty, and Pele's graceful, lithe movement was a joy to watch compared to the lumpen progress of the portly Maradona. Maradona's behaviour off the pitch does matter because to many people that is what he will be remembered for rather than his football skills. Pele was a gentleman footballer, not a statement you could make about Maradona. Maradona' second (legitimate) goal against England was very good but I can think of many that are better. You will never convince any experienced football watcher who has seen both players live and on television that Maradona was better than Pele. Take it from me, he wasn't.

To be fair FIFA backs up your statement. Fifa asked a bunch of sporting experts (Who I assume were experienced football watchers) back in 2000 , the majority went for Pele, Maradona actually came in 5th.

Player Nationality Votes

1 Pelé Brazil 1705

2 Johan Cruyff Netherlands 1303

3 Franz Beckenbauer Germany 1228

4 Alfredo di Stéfano Argentina/Spain 1215

5 Diego Maradona Argentina 1214

6 Ferenc Puskás Hungary 810

7 Michel Platini France 722

8 Garrincha Brazil 624

9 Eusébio Portugal 544

10 Bobby Charlton England 508

Interestingly enough in the poll that was open to the public Maradona won by a country mile with 54% of the votes compared to Pele in 2nd with 19%. This was actually the poll which officially decided 'Who was the best?'. However they actually gave them both the award and declared them joint winners which in my opinion suggests they didn't have that much confidence the accuracy of the poll.

I'd say that the poll compiled by 'experts' is more accurate.

What did the men themselves think??

Pele on Maradona - “For 20 years they have been asking me the same question, who is the greatest? Maradona or Pele? I reply that all you have to do is look at the facts – how many goals did he score with his right foot or with his head?”

Maradona on Pele - "This is the most important prize I have, alongside a cap that Fidel Castro gave me," he said. "They say he has played in World Cups, but nobody explains that he did not play in 1962 [Pele missed the finals through injury] and in England [in 1966] when he played a game and a half. They are judging me for 12 years I played in Europe, something Pele didn't do. Let's be serious: don't compare me with him."

For the full Fifa poll check out Wikipedia.

It's all subjective, no-one is more right or wrong than anyone else.

Jim makes a great case for Pele, but as I've seen more of Maradona live I still have to say Diego.

Best now:

1. Messi

2. Iniesta

3. Rooney

4. Ronaldo

5. Torres

Although I feel Xavi should be in there somewhere .....

Its been a while since I have posted anything to be fair, but it's always intresting to see peoples diffrence in opinion on this subject. I'm going to provide my 2 penneth worth & then keep my trap shut, while I get slated!!!

I feel that there are 2 diffrent groups here, players that are still playing & players that have retired. So I will go for retired first & give you a top 10, in no particular order!

Pele

Garrincha

Diego Maradona

Bobby Charlton

Zinedine Zidane

Franz Beckenbauer

Ferenc Puskas

Johan Cruyff

Usebio

Michele Platini

Next here are my top 10 that are still playing.

Wayne Rooney

Leo Messi

Cristiano Ronaldo

Michael Essien

Steven Gerrard

Didier Drogba

Kaka

Fernando Torres

Xavi Hernandez

John Terry

What I have tried to do, (especially with the players still playing) is try to think, are there any better players in the postion they play? So I have thought of my favorite players that I reckon are better than anyone else (this I hope explains the inclusion of John Terry, because I can't think of a better centre half that is still playing).

With the retired players I have tried to think of the ones I remember from my childhood, most of them have not played in my lifetime, but I have seen videos & watch programmes, I could carry on reeling them off... George Best, Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini, Lothar Mattheus, Jen Pierre Papin, Alan Shearer (can I include Tugay here... I think so!!!)... the list goes on, but I reckon that out of the lot, the list I have provided there are the best 10 that have retired so far.

I dont think that if you're compiling a list of this nature, you can go off anything other than how these players performed on the pitch, off the pitch isn't football really is it??? Garrincha & George Best for instance were always drunk & bedding anything with a skirt on, Maradona's off the pitch behaviour was erratic & a little insane, Zidane has smoked since he was about 13 & most of the players that are around today are up to no good in some sense. I think its important to base it on footballing ability & the influence they had on games, so I'm sticking by what I have put in the lists!!!

I feel that there are 2 diffrent groups here, players that are still playing & players that have retired. So I will go for retired first & give you a top 10, in no particular order!

Good way of doing it....

Pele

George Best

Diego Maradona

Paolo Maldini

Zizou

Franz Beckenbauer

Ferenc Puskas

Johan Cruyff

Eusebio

Di Stefano

Next here are my top 10 that are still playing (based on top form).

Thierry Henry

Leo Messi

Cristiano Ronaldo

Allesandro Nesta

Cesc Fabregas

Fabio Cannavaro

Kaka

Fernando Torres

Xavi Hernandez

Ronaldo (Brazil)

I can't fit keepers in but Buffon, Kahn and Lev Yashin would need to go in somewhere.

With the benefit of time I think we will find Desailly, Thuram, Makelele and if he wasnt cut down by constant injury Fernando Redondo (who IMHO opinion is one the greatest defensive midfielders of all time and the blueprint of every def mid since.)

there are 2 ways to do it.

the first one, is to look at what they achieved, in their own era. If thats the case, the statistics will tell you, that pele without a doubt, is the best ever.

if we consider the fact, that football has evolved immensly, then what messi is doing right now, in a more evolved football era, is on a higher level, then the other greats.

Pele.

Despite the fact he never played in Europe, he played against all the best players of his generation at the world cups. I believe he's won 3 of them, who else can say that? (he used to be the only player who had done that ever?, thanks to FIFA ;) ).

Maradonna, can say all he wants but for me there has always been one question over the lad, what could you have been if you hadn't been sponsored by Pepsi most of your life????

Messi is in great form, but can he take that to Argentina and SA? He's got to cut the mustard and really bring home a world cup before he's comparable to the likes of Maradonna et al who have all done it. The greatest player ever cannot have just achieved at club level.

Ask anyone who is old enough to have seen both Pele and Maradonna in their prime and they will all say Pele. If you have not witnessed both it is impossible to have an opinion.

Archived