BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jabulani

Stuart

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might have been the reason it was handed out then. Just so they might get used to it.

I wonder if there was any conspiracy behind that?

I don’t know how many times it has been said? but I am assuming that ALL the teams had the opportunity to use the ball before the word cup. I do know that England did and decided to take the money from other companies and NOT use the ball. Maybe they have lost more than they have gained?

I do know that England did and decided to take the money from other companies and NOT use the ball.

Hang on, that's worded terribly.

They would have had to break a contract with Nike with use the ball. How were they to know at that point it would be so radically different (relatively)? England weren't alone in being unwilling to break contracts to use a World Cup ball - why should they? Adidas are in the wrong for making it so different to balls used in top leagues.

If you look at the way the Germans play, they've worked out not to shoot from long range, they work it close to the goal before attempting shots. Other teams didn't adapt to that style of play quickly enough, there have barely been any long range strikes, the efforts-to-goals ratio must be minuscule.

As long as people learn from it all IE clauses in contracts allowing for the new balls to be used in the build up to major tournaments.

The Germans have only had a ball sponsor since 2010 in their top league and there was an arrangement between the bundesliga and the DFB that the new balls are used in the league in the build up to the competition.

Trouble is will they learn, the FA seem to struggle with that one.

I'm not entirely sure on which department it would fall under, but surely the department of fair trading (or whatever the EU equivalent is) would have major problems with a ball manufacturer putting leagues under pressure to break contracts by making radically different products for World Cups?

Seems very dodgy to me.

All nations were given the option to start using the balls 6 months before the tournament. England chose not to due to having Nike balls in the PL and Umbro balls for England.

They were locked into contracts with two powerful companies, they had no choice but to refuse the offer.

The problem seems too be is at most word cups they bring out a new ball and we have this debate it’s different. As I said they decided to take the money from rival company’s money. As Majiball said the Germans were shrewd enough to put a get out clause in the contract. Also did the Premier League or FA try to renegotiate the contract to allow them to use the ball?. They managed to renegotiate Capello’s just before we got knocked out. Will they learn any lesson from this? imo i don’t think so.

The problem seems too be is at most word cups they bring out a new ball and we have this debate it’s different. As I said they decided to take the money from rival company’s money. As Majiball said the Germans were shrewd enough to put a get out clause in the contract. Also did the Premier League or FA try to renegotiate the contract to allow them to use the ball?.

That's not the point, countries shouldn't be forced to do things like that because Adidas decides to mess with the football.

There would be something fundamentally unfair about that situation. Basically whichever company won the rights to make the World Cup football would have a monopoly over the leagues, or countries that used something else would have a competitive disadvantage.

The FA is a terrible organisation, I don't dispute that, but in the this case they are not to blame.

Unfortunately it is not only the world cup that has had problems with conflicting sponsorship deals.

Brian Lara and other senior West Indies players have been barred from playing in a tournament against Australia and Pakistan after refusing to sign a contract over sponsorship and personal endorsements

West Indies in revolt

Interestingly, the von Bronkhorst blast went straight as an arrow for 41 yards- something rarely seen in a normal football.

The Dutch keeper positioned himself for the ball to go straight but the Forlan shot curled podigiously- something rarely seen in the Jubalani until tonight!

A lot of the 'poor goalkeeping' seems to be down to the new qualities of the ball, IMHO.

Not buying it.

Rob Green can't blame the ball.

Algerian keeper can't blame the ball.

Tonight the keeper just started to move too early and was done by fairly normal curl on the ball.

The list really goes on. I've yet to see an instance where the ball has completely done the keeper in, which is supported by the fact that this is actually a low scoring tournament. Now everytime a ball moves an inch the commentators start going on about "oh look at the ball move, how can the keeper deal with that?".

NASA 1 Loughborough 0

BBC- American space agency Nasa has joined in the criticism of the Jabulani World Cup ball. Aerodynamic experts from Nasa's Ames Investigation Centre stated the Jabulani becomes unpredictable at speeds above 44 mph and also blamed the ball's light weight of just 440g for its poor flight and lack of ­consistency - known as the 'knuckle effect'.

From that Mirror link:

Former Liverpool striker Craig Johnston is now an expert in the appliance of science to football equipment.

He said: “If a sponsor came into your office before the World Cup and said ‘We are going to give you a new, perfectly round match ball, the players won’t like it at all, there will be more mistakes made than in any other World Cup, there will be less goals, less free-kicks scored, less complete passes, less control by players and roughly 70 per cent of crosses and shots on goal will miss and go way over the bar ... what would you say to them?”

I'd been wondering if you might post that, this morning. NASA I suppose do have some knowledge in the field, not much but some :lol: . I would like to know how they are testing it though, wind tunnel etc as it needs to be moving IE kicked. Good to see they backed up my claim on altitude playing a part!!!

At the end of the day I have the utmost respect for the guys at Loughbourgh in this field and know they achieved what was asked of them, adidas take the blame for me.

Knuckle effect in football.

I will never take Craig Johnston seriously, Jack of all master of none:

What next Craig??? Movie director?

Not buying it.

Rob Green can't blame the ball.

Algerian keeper can't blame the ball.

Tonight the keeper just started to move too early and was done by fairly normal curl on the ball.

The list really goes on. I've yet to see an instance where the ball has completely done the keeper in, which is supported by the fact that this is actually a low scoring tournament. Now everytime a ball moves an inch the commentators start going on about "oh look at the ball move, how can the keeper deal with that?".

Presumably the ball is quicker due to less air friction. Whereas a keeper would have a margin of error by being able to re-adjust they don't have that split second now. Seems to me that players aren't really having to whack the ball to get good pace. If you strike it cleanly it travels very quickly, if you strike it hard it flies over the bar.

I've not done any experiments with it, mind, so I don't actually know. This is just what has occurred to me.

Let's hope we never see that dratted ball again.

Even in the Final, all the free kicks and shots from distance missed and players were occasionally being embarassed by it bouncing like a pingpong ball.

Did Loughborough try the thing at altitude by the way? OK I know I am arguing against a point I made earlier but it seems there is appreciably less air resistance even at 5,000 feet.

Bring back the Mitre Multiplex! A proper ball.

If you didn't head that right, you had a headache for a week. :wacko:

Exactly! There wouldn't be a problem there though.... todays footballers are built like whippets and wouldn't be able to get it off the ground in the first place. :tu:

I must say todays footballs must be miles different than that Mitre classic. When I was playing that I could hit a ball harder than most players (not bragging but I was deemed to have the strongest shot in the school). However if I took a goalkick back then I could not get it to drop past the opp end of the centre circle. Today we see goalkeepers easing back on goalkicks so that the ball does not go right through to the opposition keeper.

Just as an add on I often wonder if modern balls fly further and faster than in my day but by doing so are more difficult to cross accurately and control.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly! There wouldn't be a problem there though.... todays footballers are built like whippets and wouldn't be able to get it off the ground in the first place. :tu:

I must say todays footballs must be miles different than that Mitre classic. When I was playing that I could hit a ball harder than most players (not bragging but I was deemed to have the strongest shot in the school). However if I took a goalkick back then I could not get it to drop past the opp end of the centre circle. Today we see goalkeepers easing back on goalkicks so that the ball does not go right through to the opposition keeper.

Just as an add on I often wonder if modern balls fly further and faster than in my day but by doing so are more difficult to cross accurately and control.

No complaints when your tee shots finishes 250 yds down the fairway I suspect. :)

Archived