BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Capello'S Future

tcj_jones

Capello wont stay. I think the players, loyal and humble as they are feel that they have been "badly managed" otherwise, their talents should have brought home the WC. I mean how could he prevent them from having their beer before and after games and not letting them get out and about in town in beautiful South Africa, cause they were on a holiday after all.

That line of thinking is everything that is wrong with football culture in England and I thought it was stamped out.

I dont see the Brazilians, Spanish, Argentines or Spaniards complaning about the same kind of restrictions? But oh wait, when you lose you look for any excuse except the obvious glimpse into the mirror.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the first half, Germany hardly had to make a tackle, we gave the ball away almost every time, ball retention is a big thing in football but to do that, players have to work hard in supporting players on the ball, making runs to drag opponents out of position, we didnt do that. Our shape was awful, when defending, you get the back four to play as close together as possible, (Arsenals double winning side used to train with their back four tied together with string) If a right full back goes on an overlap or a run, the back three move over one to cover the right full back spot, the left midfielder drops into left back etc, this retains the shape of the team. As soon as the full back is back into position, the back four retains its shape and the midfielder moves forward so we can then defend when needed in two banks of four or open out giving us width when attacking. That requires discipline which we didnt have, both their first goals were scored because we lacked discipline and players way out of position.

The first goal a long punt from the goal kick was Sunday football stuff, easy to stop, one man on the player and one dropping off behind, both Terry and Upson were at fault and Upson totally on the wrong side of his man.

Heskey for Defoe when we need a goal was an astonishing move, as was giving our most prolific goalscorer at international level only six minutes playing time over four games!! Was I the only one who saw a keeper suspect at crosses and a defence allowing Defoe (smallest player on the park) a header against the bar and our goal, an Upson header? Crouch would have caused them real problems, assuming we could deliver crosses. Theres another problem, we cant deliver a ball from wide areas. lets get Beckham back and work with younger players on these techniques as something is clearly wrong.

To conclude, a player who cant pass a ball should not be playing football, really they shouldnt, no excuses, its the simplest thing to do for a footballer, each team we have played have passed the ball better than us, why?

Maybe its time to drop their inflated wages and get back to basics, get an English Manager of the National Team, play with pride, passion and discipline,we then have a chance, until then we will suffer.

I agree that Capello did som horrible decisions. Sticking with Emile Heskey who couldn't get into the Norwegian first XI ........... :wacko:

Quite right but neither could Messi or Torres or Ronaldo etc. :rolleyes:

Major restructing is needed. Thats what has happened in Germany lately. They were struggling with the Bundesliga. Too many foreigners and didnt do good at all in European competions for several years. Now they have great youngsters like ôzil, müller, Khedira, Schweinsteiger. The list goes on.

But don't forget half of Germany's team have a very tenous links with the Fatherland. I'd imagine that messrs Messi, Torres and Ronaldo wouldn't get in Norways but could get in Germany's team.

It also says something when the CL final was between Barcelona - Internazionale and semifinals without English teams.

They have their share of nationals but they aren't comprised solely of Spanish and Italians though are they?

Changing Capello's contract prior to the competition was silly, Inter yes were interested but any decision should have been delayed till after the world cup.

Stick your hand in the fire as a youndster and get burned and you don't do it again. Not the FA though. They keep doing it.

Sorry for my bad English Theno, but I guess you what I meant and I am a bit surprised that you choose to make a mockery out of it.

Emile Heskey is Aston Villas second or third choice behind CAREW (Norway). Therefore he wouldn't be in Norways first XI even if he was a Norwegian.

And it says it all when the none of the goals made in this tournament comes from a striker. Heskey is useless and so was unfortanely Rooney.

Right from the outset, in the pre-tournament friendly matches, this England squad have looked as though they wanted to be anywhere except at the World Cup. The players have not looked happy, their body-langauge was poor and their spirits have been low. Footballers are mentally fragile creatures and this all points to me to a squad that is unhappy with the way it is being managed.

Sorry for my bad English Theno, but I guess you what I meant and I am a bit surprised that you choose to make a mockery out of it.

1. It was a joke alexanders. ;)

2. Your English is fine btw. Not as good as my Norwegian of course but there you go. ^_^

Right from the outset, in the pre-tournament friendly matches, this England squad have looked as though they wanted to be anywhere except at the World Cup. The players have not looked happy, their body-langauge was poor and their spirits have been low. Footballers are mentally fragile creatures and this all points to me to a squad that is unhappy with the way it is being managed.

Surely you aren't criticising Capello are you Jim? Not long since you were referring to him as 'fab Fabio'. :wstu:

btw... Is my cheque in the post yet? :rock:

In the first half, Germany hardly had to make a tackle, we gave the ball away almost every time, ball retention is a big thing in football but to do that, players have to work hard in supporting players on the ball, making runs to drag opponents out of position, we didnt do that. Our shape was awful, when defending, you get the back four to play as close together as possible, (Arsenals double winning side used to train with their back four tied together with string) If a right full back goes on an overlap or a run, the back three move over one to cover the right full back spot, the left midfielder drops into left back etc, this retains the shape of the team. As soon as the full back is back into position, the back four retains its shape and the midfielder moves forward so we can then defend when needed in two banks of four or open out giving us width when attacking. That requires discipline which we didnt have, both their first goals were scored because we lacked discipline and players way out of position.

English football from top to toe, in the main is about one thing. Get the ball forward quickly, knock it down the line, launch it across the pitch. The further down the pyramid you go you more you see this type of play. Even in the top league you see teams playing this way week in week out, and doing well. Its fine when you play against teams that have similar ethos's but when you play teams that retain the ball it cannot work.

Full backs can bomb on as you say but with a sitter the midfielder can stay further up the pitch. He drops back (sitter) meaning that the defence doesn't need to shift across as much, in effect a 3rd centre back. England did not play with a sitter, it was a traditional 2 man central pairing with one going and the other sitting. It just created more problems in that area as its so unfamiliar to the vast majority of players these days that your always thinking, am I in the right position? Do I go? and so on. Thats not a good thing at this level where being 1/2 a second behind means you lose. Square pegs round holes.

The first goal a long punt from the goal kick was Sunday football stuff, easy to stop, one man on the player and one dropping off behind, both Terry and Upson were at fault and Upson totally on the wrong side of his man.

Heskey for Defoe when we need a goal was an astonishing move, as was giving our most prolific goalscorer at international level only six minutes playing time over four games!! Was I the only one who saw a keeper suspect at crosses and a defence allowing Defoe (smallest player on the park) a header against the bar and our goal, an Upson header? Crouch would have caused them real problems, assuming we could deliver crosses. Theres another problem, we cant deliver a ball from wide areas. lets get Beckham back and work with younger players on these techniques as something is clearly wrong.

To conclude, a player who cant pass a ball should not be playing football, really they shouldnt, no excuses, its the simplest thing to do for a footballer, each team we have played have passed the ball better than us, why?

Maybe its time to drop their inflated wages and get back to basics, get an English Manager of the National Team, play with pride, passion and discipline,we then have a chance, until then we will suffer.

Heskey on the plane was the amazing decision. how many players where moved about to accommodate him? He can't even do a step-over something most 9 year olds have mastered.

England went out yesterday with no consideration to the weaknesses of Germany in their approach and line-up. Germany came with a plan to exploit the gaps between full backs and centre backs and ripped England apart, why wasn't this anticipated by the manager? Most of Englands game plan this competition has been about working the wide area's and getting crosses in, but to whom? Defoe may have scored from a cross but if that's how you want to play you need a man who can win 9 out of ten balls in. Why Crouch barely got on is a mystery, especially playing Heskey who makes Roberts look clinical.

You know as well as I do Kelbo that nothing will change until everyone sits down. At present in the main clubs look for athletes and try to teach them football. now whilst this can be done your far better picking the players who excel technically and making the athlete's. Long term player development, not short term couple of year projects. An athlete can be made, a footballer can only be nurtured.

That's what so wrong in England. Give any decent sports scientist an 8 year old and by the time he matures, he'll be quick, have good fundamentals and physically be the best his potential allows him to be. But if he lacks the attributes to be a footballer there's only so far he can go. Clubs in England just don't realise this, long term development, not dumping them at the first sign of trouble.

using trainable attributes to select footballers is naive and stupid the only thing that matters is skill.

Stick your hand in the fire as a youngster and get burned and you don't do it again. Not the FA though. They keep doing it.

Perhaps the people at the FA have learning difficulties?

I'm truly hoping that this is the stone that breaks the camels back and gives English football the kick up the ass it so needs, development and style wise.

England went out yesterday with no consideration to the weaknesses of Germany in their approach and line-up. Germany came with a plan to exploit the gaps between full backs and centre backs and ripped England apart, why wasn't this anticipated by the manager?

The German coach comes across as your average arrogant Teuton but he deserves credit for spotting the huge fault lines in the England defence and the weaknesses of Upson and Terry in particular. Capello by contrast appeared to have no plan at all. After an abysmal first half you have have expected England to tighten the defence in the second half but if anything they were worse, sitting deep and inviting the Germans to attack. Capello has shown himself in this World Cup to be arrogant and inflexible and a poor leader of men. If he has any shame he should resign.

How many world class players do you think England has?

Id argue Terry, Ashley Cole and Rooney but none did their reputations any favors during the WC especially Rooney.

However, Ive seen teams with less World Class players play better, cause they had the basic essentials (Teamwork, a proper holding midfielder and a proper playmaker).

How many world class players were there in that German team? Not many either, but they were a team. They played for each other. they knew their jobs in the team. They could trust their team mates to do the job they were supposed to do which enabled their better players to do their own jobs more effectively. They can shoot, hard, low and often enough into the net. You know if you give a German striker a shooting chance he'll more often than not get it on target. You don't panic in one on one situations if you're a German fan - you know your guy willgive it a good go. They are not world beaters, these Germans, but they have worked out a way of being efficient which then enables them to play far more exciting football than we generally manage to do. They are strong athletes too, full of running. We, in contrast, looked tired and drained before we started. And before we hear the excuses about the players being tired, some of those Germans had played for their club side in as many competitions as most of our top players and had gone further in competitions. Yes, they get a winter break, but it's not that long. Most of our players got time off this year when we had all that snow, so that's not really an excuse either.

Players? Manager? David Beckham sitting like the spectre at the feast on the bench? John Terry's antics dividing loyalties? Altitude training not done properly (coming down from altitude to play at wembley apparently ruined any work they'd done at altitude)? It's not one thing that cost us. It's all of that and far, far more. There were idiots ringing 606 immediately after the win against Slovenia using words like amazing to describe our performance. Fans expecting far too much? the media hype? The sky 4 or 5 dominating everything, buying other clubs best players to sit on their bench and play in their Carling Cup teams instead of playing week in, week out at premier League level (see Tony Parkes article)

We may not have the technical skills of some other countries and that is a longer term problem that needs to be addressed, but we could and should still have been capable of playing better with the players that were there under the manager we had, and that is why capello should go and probably half of the team with him.

....... Germany came with a plan to exploit the gaps between full backs and centre backs and ripped England apart, why wasn't this anticipated by the manager?

It was actually aided and abetted by the manager when he disrupted the Terry/Cole partnership simply to accomodate Upson. The entire back four played like starngers cos of it.

Never mind the ineptitude of the first goal but look at the amateurish defending for the second. After Ashley Cole gave a fine impression of a tortoise and simply watched his man disappear into the distance to free Podolsky Glenn Johnson's priority should have been to get to the near post / goal line behind the outrushing David James to stop Podolsky's shot but for some reason he stopped, turned and ran out to mark John Terry. :blink:

Anyone care to speculate what was going on between his ears at the time cos I can't begin to even speculate?

It was actually aided and abetted by the manager when he disrupted the Terry/Cole partnership simply to accomodate Upson. The entire back four played like starngers cos of it.

Never mind the ineptitude of the first goal but look at the amateurish defending for the second. After Ashley Cole gave a fine impression of a tortoise and simply watched his man disappear into the distance to free Podolsky Glenn Johnson's priority should have been to get to the near post / goal line behind the outrushing David James to stop Podolsky's shot but for some reason he stopped, turned and ran out to mark John Terry. :blink:

Anyone care to speculate what was going on between his ears at the time cos I can't begin to even speculate?

I highlighted the issues of playing two left sided centre backs as soon as it was announced. Your dead right about the Cole terry partnership, it was on of the few ones that was transferred from club to international football and it was broken.

As to what was going on between his ears I guess it was his normal, get forward, get forward. He is no defender and Capello did not take a defensive minded RB. I'd have taken Micah.

Did you rate Podolski?? would you have him at Rovers?

Because we had him on trial as a kid and said he'd never make it.

How many world class players were there in that German team? Not many either, but they were a team. They played for each other. they knew their jobs in the team. They could trust their team mates to do the job they were supposed to do which enabled their better players to do their own jobs more effectively. They can shoot, hard, low and often enough into the net. You know if you give a German striker a shooting chance he'll more often than not get it on target. You don't panic in one on one situations if you're a German fan - you know your guy willgive it a good go. They are not world beaters, these Germans, but they have worked out a way of being efficient which then enables them to play far more exciting football than we generally manage to do. They are strong athletes too, full of running. We, in contrast, looked tired and drained before we started. And before we hear the excuses about the players being tired, some of those Germans had played for their club side in as many competitions as most of our top players and had gone further in competitions. Yes, they get a winter break, but it's not that long. Most of our players got time off this year when we had all that snow, so that's not really an excuse either.

Players? Manager? David Beckham sitting like the spectre at the feast on the bench? John Terry's antics dividing loyalties? Altitude training not done properly (coming down from altitude to play at wembley apparently ruined any work they'd done at altitude)? It's not one thing that cost us. It's all of that and far, far more. There were idiots ringing 606 immediately after the win against Slovenia using words like amazing to describe our performance. Fans expecting far too much? the media hype? The sky 4 or 5 dominating everything, buying other clubs best players to sit on their bench and play in their Carling Cup teams instead of playing week in, week out at premier League level (see Tony Parkes article)

We may not have the technical skills of some other countries and that is a longer term problem that needs to be addressed, but we could and should still have been capable of playing better with the players that were there under the manager we had, and that is why capello should go and probably half of the team with him.

I already made the point earlier in the thread that means without world class players can still play well and win and beat teams like England cause of some basic football essentials. However, this question was more of a separate point to see what people thought. Cause the impression I was getting reading the papers, and listening to the pundits and the universal thrashing of Capello had some of the best players in the world playing for him. Which really isnt the case.

Tim Sherwood was lambasting him on Al Jazeera last night and implicitly said that Lennon, Defoe and other Spurs players had complained about him and his iron grip on the squad and their breathing space.

There isn't a lot anyone can say in defence of England FC. The manager took players who were shocking in the Premier League and expected them to win. The FA appointed the manager and his assistants and then chose to remove the one clause in the contract that would have made this World Cup failure, at least, less expensive. The players themselves just DID NOT turn up. This so called 'golden generation' are just so much fools gold. We England fans end up embarrassed, annoyed and incredibly frustrated by the promise and the complete failure to deliver.

The constant calls for ground up, grass roots, whatever you want to call it, change are never heeded. The entire approach to all sport in this country is just wrong. Just the decision that Sports Days were not going to be competitive was just so indicative of what is wrong in the approach in this country. The FA, being the supposed holders of our football heritage and future are so ineffective to be completely useless and have been for many years. It requires a complete overhaul, a total re-evaluation of the approach and it needs to be done now.

You know as well as I do Kelbo that nothing will change until everyone sits down. At present in the main clubs look for athletes and try to teach them football. now whilst this can be done your far better picking the players who excel technically and making the athlete's. Long term player development, not short term couple of year projects. An athlete can be made, a footballer can only be nurtured.

That's what so wrong in England. Give any decent sports scientist an 8 year old and by the time he matures, he'll be quick, have good fundamentals and physically be the best his potential allows him to be. But if he lacks the attributes to be a footballer there's only so far he can go. Clubs in England just don't realise this, long term development, not dumping them at the first sign of trouble.

using trainable attributes to select footballers is naive and stupid the only thing that matters is skill.

Perhaps the people at the FA have learning difficulties?

I'm truly hoping that this is the stone that breaks the camels back and gives English football the kick up the ass it so needs, development and style wise.

But it wont Maji, until we get a proper and democratically elected FA consisting of ex players, who understand the game and what it takes to make a player.

How many of the doddering old buggers on the FA have played the game at decent levels, why are they paid such huge salaries for carrying out many duties for which they are noot qualified.

Maybe the FA should consist of ex players, managers, coaches, sports scientists and even sports psychologists to allow a total consideration into all apects of developing the National team from young ages.

One ex pro always told me (Fergusen says practice makes player and that is correct also) but poverty makes players too. Underdeveloped and poorer countries produce players because there are far less distractions such as computers, DVDs etc, they go out and devlop skills as there is little else to do, they mimic top players, they develop many of the basics by watching good players, I mentioned earlier, a player who cant pass a football should never be near professional level, let alone prem or International levels. Yes, you can develop his pace, physique etc but must have the basics which is being able to pass the ball.

Good points gumboots. wtf Beckham was doing there God only knows. Other injured players weren't there. A sponsorship fest perhaps? There really can be no other reason. I've certainly no idea what his tired old image sells these days other than tattooing ink. His PR machine obviously thought him on the bench was a coup but in reallity it just made him look stupid and made me want to punch him.

I just hope that my suspicions that the powers that be are considering hims as some sort of future England manager are way wrong.

Also the sight of the cerebrally challenged Stuart Pearce being treated like a naughty puppy by Capello with that stand up sit down routine was nauseating. I'd like to think that Pearce has clocked him now we are out.

How many world class players do you think England has?

Id argue Terry, Ashley Cole and Rooney but none did their reputations any favors during the WC especially Rooney.

However, Ive seen teams with less World Class players play better, cause they had the basic essentials (Teamwork, a proper holding midfielder and a proper playmaker).

Id say your talking bullshit Bobby G in that Terry, Cole and Rooney are world class, they are just Joe average.

Its over inflated opinions like this that run throughout this country that misguides everyone into thinking we are better than what we actually are.

Germany will now dominate England most definitely for the next 10 - 12 years in International football and maybe longer depending on how this country changes.

The only solution I can think is to give the people in charge of Governement, industry, and football as much money as is possible, so that they can dont use thazt word again off as soon as is possible then and only then will we have a chance to begin to turn things around.

How many world class players were there in that German team? Not many either, but they were a team. They played for each other. they knew their jobs in the team. They could trust their team mates to do the job they were supposed to do which enabled their better players to do their own jobs more effectively. They can shoot, hard, low and often enough into the net. You know if you give a German striker a shooting chance he'll more often than not get it on target. You don't panic in one on one situations if you're a German fan - you know your guy willgive it a good go. They are not world beaters, these Germans, but they have worked out a way of being efficient which then enables them to play far more exciting football than we generally manage to do. They are strong athletes too, full of running.

Good post. There are many cliches about German "efficiency" but your average German footballer does the basics well and rarely makes mistakes. The 3rd goal was a case in point - a 3 on 2 attack which ended with England outmanouevred and the ball in the back of the net. Would England's players have done the same ? The defending for the 1st and 2nd goals was laughable. We had a goalkeeper in the 1st match who made a mistake a schoolboy would have been ashamed of. 1950 notwithstanding, Capello has presided over the biggest World Cup debacle in England football history - he should go.

I already made the point earlier in the thread that means without world class players can still play well and win and beat teams like England cause of some basic football essentials. However, this question was more of a separate point to see what people thought. Cause the impression I was getting reading the papers, and listening to the pundits and the universal thrashing of Capello had some of the best players in the world playing for him. Which really isnt the case.

Tim Sherwood was lambasting him on Al Jazeera last night and implicitly said that Lennon, Defoe and other Spurs players had complained about him and his iron grip on the squad and their breathing space.

The impression that you get from watching the game is that the players have lost faith in Capello. He's barking orders from the side lines and they change nothing on the pitch?

I'm glad Sherwood has said that, because it adds further weight to what I assumed that Terry was not acting alone. He was hung out to dry by his team-mates because of their fear of Capello. What a joke, I don't care who I ###### off, if I believe in something strongly I speak my mind regardless of the consequences, you must have strength in your convictions and the England team did not. If they truly believed they were right and he was wrong they should have stood up to him and asked for change, what choice would he have had??

As to what was going on between his ears I guess it was his normal, get forward, get forward. He is no defender and Capello did not take a defensive minded RB. I'd have taken Micah.

Experience tells me to rate every member of the German team maj.

As for Micah Richards? Well imo far too many of Englands players looked overweight and ponderous. He's another. He was a fine prospect when he broke through initially but I think his attitude is very suspect. Would Germany pick him might be a more pertinent question.

I'm glad Sherwood has said that, because it adds further weight to what I assumed that Terry was not acting alone. He was hung out to dry by his team-mates because of their fear of Capello.

It would have carried far more weight if they'd all said it before and in private and not after the event and in public. It means little and makes no difference now.

Foresight is much more valuable than hindsight.

But it wont Maji, until we get a proper and democratically elected FA consisting of ex players, who understand the game and what it takes to make a player.

How many of the doddering old buggers on the FA have played the game at decent levels, why are they paid such huge salaries for carrying out many duties for which they are noot qualified.

Maybe the FA should consist of ex players, managers, coaches, sports scientists and even sports psychologists to allow a total consideration into all apects of developing the National team from young ages.

One ex pro always told me (Fergusen says practice makes player and that is correct also) but poverty makes players too. Underdeveloped and poorer countries produce players because there are far less distractions such as computers, DVDs etc, they go out and devlop skills as there is little else to do, they mimic top players, they develop many of the basics by watching good players, I mentioned earlier, a player who cant pass a football should never be near professional level, let alone prem or International levels. Yes, you can develop his pace, physique etc but must have the basics which is being able to pass the ball.

And that's why the government must step in. They have the power to change it, Trevor brooking has become a pawn. I agree about your suggested make-up why have some of the best in all those fields and yet they have no say at all.

Practice does make perfect, but it must be the right type of practice at the right time of their development. We love teaching passing to kids at very young ages, when they don't have the brains to understand what's going on around them. That's the time for the basic ball skills, not passing. Just let them play small sided games 1 v 1's up to 3 v3's and change the nature of the games to teach them skills like dribbling and so on, something no England player can do, that is the reason. If they learn these skills at those ages they will be as natural as riding a bike. Stop using drills so much, that are structured IE run to this cone and then that one and then shoot and allow them freedom to figure these things out for themselves. It only creates robots who cannot think independently and use the same patterns every-time.

Poorer countries produce players because all they do is play the game, just look at Brazil, street football and always have some of the best in the world. Studies have been done into the structure of their training and most of it doesn't happen till 15. here we start at 8, go figure.

If I figure out an answer it sticks, if you give me the answer it doesn't. Let the kids figure it out for themselves.

I've said it on here time and again, its wrong wrong wrong wrong from top to toe. The English clubs are so arrogant about it all and adamantly believe its fine, if this doesn't sort it out and give people the kick up the backside they need nothing will and the decline will carry on.

:angry2::angry2:

Experience tells me to rate every member of the German team maj.

As for Micah Richards? Well imo far too many of Englands players looked overweight and ponderous. He's another. He was a fine prospect when he broke through initially but I think his attitude is very suspect. Would Germany pick him might be a more pertinent question.

Yes, Germany would have selected Richards as he would have played many more games in the Bundesleague, Joe Cole, Crouch, Wright Phillips, Carrick, four players who Capello selected who spend more time on the bench of their clubs than playing!!

Young players are not developed properly, sometimes, 'needs be' Rovers have little money and after a barren time, suddenly we have two or three academy lads coming through, coincidence or neccessity? Hughes failed to give any of the young lads a real chance whereas it does appear as if we have changed policy on that one, I wonder if over the years, more players could have come through the system if given the opportunity. Majiball stated that we do tend to keep the bigger and stronger lads, yet I look at Iniesta, Fabrigas, Alonso, Tevez, Honda, Annan etc smaller players who have performed well in this world cup, if you are good enough, you are big enough!!

Governments are NOT allowed to interfere in football matters. That's one of the most important FIFA directives.

Young german players come through cause they cost less than their European counterparts. So German clubs buy a lot of domestic players. That's the opposite in England. Why blame the clubs or think of putting caps when average British players like Kevin Doyle go for 7 million or Fletcher 7.5 million. That's your problem and you cant change it.

Glenn Johnson's priority should have been to get to the near post / goal line behind the outrushing David James to stop Podolsky's shot but for some reason he stopped, turned and ran out to mark John Terry. :blink:

So I wasn't the only one to spot this...

Archived