BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Capello'S Future

tcj_jones

Capello's comments that England's youngsters don't have talent is absolutely scandalous and shocking. Even managers of much smaller nations with much fewer resources wouldn't allow themselves to say such a thing. He should be fined before being fired. He is fast becoming one of the worst things to ever happen to the national team.

Why ?

Hes bloody well right, Capello in what he says.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Capello's comments that England's youngsters don't have talent is absolutely scandalous and shocking. Even managers of much smaller nations with much fewer resources wouldn't allow themselves to say such a thing. He should be fined before being fired. He is fast becoming one of the worst things to ever happen to the national team.

Neither scandalous nor shocking.

Probably best thing he can say. Dampen expectation.

Besides...how many quality youngsters do we have coming through in the Premiership? Not a lot...

Capello had a bad tournament but needs to show he can learn from the mistakes made. His awesome past record shows that he is a good bet to do this. Besides, if it will cost us 12 million to pot him then he really is the only choice.

I think the whole problem is mental. The players can control and pass a ball, but their heads weren't right and it affected them badly. I was once told by a coach that football is 90% physical 10% mental; but the 10% controls the 90%.

Although very successful I think Capello's authoritarian style may be more suited to club football. There is not enough time together with an international side to impose a strict regime. Let the players be happy to be there. Give them a break from what club level is like, as most managers operate with an iron fist (see Ferguson, Moyes, Pulis to name 3).

I think that an international dressing room should be as enjoyable as possible. The Germans have it, the Argies have it. More than 1 player complained about boredom, before and after Terry's attempted coup. Footballers are generally young ish lads who aren't the brainest in Britain. They need stimulation to keep them going as they can't do it by themselves. Keeping them caged up is counter productive.

It was plain to see that Rooney was suffering.

Having said all that though, you can't play Gerrard on the left, nor can you defend like Terry did and get away with anything.

The players didn't underperform. They performed as well as they could - it's just that they are miles behind the best in the world technically, and are vastly overrated by Sky/the English press.

The 'best' English players look good in club teams where they are surrounded by foreigners, but you cannot get away with more than one or two players with the English 'run all day', 'give 110%' etc etc mentality - you need the class, guile and intelligence that foreign players are bought in to provide to make teams effective.

If you were to compile a list of the best '11' players in the Premier League (let's say a 4-5-1 formation since as that seems to be the most popular at present), how many would be English? Any at all? That, and the fact that no English players of any note play abroad says all you need to know about the dearth of decent players.

Agree with that wholeheartedly Mark BRFC71.

Its time to accept our own shortcomings and then we might begin to move forward. It shows us all up when you've got one of the top guys at the FA, who has a nighthood, dies his hair and wears a toupe, and has a failed business to his name.

Idiots are us the English !

Neither scandalous nor shocking.

Probably best thing he can say. Dampen expectation.

Besides...how many quality youngsters do we have coming through in the Premiership? Not a lot...

Capello had a bad tournament but needs to show he can learn from the mistakes made. His awesome past record shows that he is a good bet to do this. Besides, if it will cost us 12 million to pot him then he really is the only choice.

What mistakes is he "going to learn from" when he also said he's only looking at 2-3 other players he might include in the squad for the Euro campaign?

As I said, no couch will allow himself to say such a thing. New Zealand don't have a professional football league, but do you see their coach bemoaning a lack of talent? Or even North Korea's? It's just one excuse after another for him. Days before the start of the world cup he said everyone was in perfect condition, how England were going to the final etc., and now what? Players too tired, no talent in England, etc. etc...it's a joke. Paul Ince didn't have so many excuses.

I do think sacking Capello will only serve to absolve the current generation of England players of their responsibility... YET AGAIN. But if you keep him, will he have the gall to drop the big-name underachievers? I thought Rooney should have been dropped after the Algeria game for his pathetic outburst and overall ineptitude. If anything, it would have given him a kick up the ass. But despite Capello's talk about picking players on-form etc. he still kept the same untouchables in his starting eleven.

I'm beginning to think that sponsor pressure did that. I'm certain that some players are protected and undroppable by any English manager. Money is pulling every string imo.

Don't know if there is any basis to it but I understand that the Prem were offered the Jabulani ball last season but that Umbro kyboshed any deal cos they had a contract to supply all the Prem balls. I can't fault Umbro if the story is true but I think whichever greedy grabbing bstards sanctioned it from the Prem should be named and hauled over the coals.

The only way Capello can go forward in this job, if he does stay on, is to drop a lot of the players that have been such a huge disappointment since 2004. The last tournament we looked like a genuinely good team in was 2002. Since then the national team has gone backwards at an alarming rate. I wouldn't want Terry, Upson, Carragher, Lampard, Beckham, Heskey, Rio, or SWP anywhere near the Euro 2012 squad - not on the pitch, not on the bench, not as "advisors" - they need to move aside and give some other players a shot because they've proven time and time again they're not up to the task. If Capello has the balls to drop most of those players then it may be worth keeping him to see if he's learnt from the mistakes of this campaign. Give players like Dawson, Adam Johnson, Crouch, Bent, Walcott, perhaps even Phil Jones if he keeps up his current form a chance to show the passion and pride that our current "superstars" lack.

Fact is, players like Terry, Upson, Lampard, Rio and even Heskey are at an age where they might still make one more tournament in 2012. If they do, it will have been a mistake to keep Capello on.

Tell you what. Conduct every England training session at Accy Stanley and room the entire squad in the Islington on Darwen St. Soon find out who wants to play for England and who doesn't then(and manage them too for that matter).

Speedie, After reading your post, one name came to my mind: Felipe Scolari. He is a proven international side manager and a very strict one.

Players complaining?

Stop treating them like prima donnas. They are a priviliged group of people that have the honor of representing their country and receive money for it. Most of us would do it for free and others would even pay for it.

So, what they need is to get real.

If a player complains of not playing in his best position, put him on the bench.

He is representing his country, not himself. He should be proud of it.

I think the whole problem is mental. The players can control and pass a ball, but their heads weren't right and it affected them badly. I was once told by a coach that football is 90% physical 10% mental; but the 10% controls the 90%.

Although very successful I think Capello's authoritarian style may be more suited to club football. There is not enough time together with an international side to impose a strict regime. Let the players be happy to be there. Give them a break from what club level is like, as most managers operate with an iron fist (see Ferguson, Moyes, Pulis to name 3).

I think that an international dressing room should be as enjoyable as possible. The Germans have it, the Argies have it. More than 1 player complained about boredom, before and after Terry's attempted coup. Footballers are generally young ish lads who aren't the brainest in Britain. They need stimulation to keep them going as they can't do it by themselves. Keeping them caged up is counter productive.

It was plain to see that Rooney was suffering.

Having said all that though, you can't play Gerrard on the left, nor can you defend like Terry did and get away with anything.

I agree, I think he went too far in his discipline.

But, remember 2006. Everybody complaining about Sven's lax attitude with the WAGs and everything. Yet now we are complaining about Capello for being too strict.

When will the players be blamed? I have watched Terry, Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard fail many more times than I have seen Capello fail. That is why I am willing to give him another chance (and it won't cost us anything; age of austerity and all that).

There's nothing wrong with Capello's authoritarian style, it's the players' fault for being pansies and not knuckling down.

I think we need to forget this expensive foreign coach nonsense and go for an Englishman. Capello's not there because he loves England, he's there for the dosh. That's gotta be a bad example for a kick-off.

That's nonsense. Many of the England players have formed integral parts of very good premier league and champions league sides and they haven't only managed this because they play alongside foreigners.

It's entirely because they play with good quality foreigners, players who can mask their inadequacies. Individually they can be decent players and English players do bring certain qualities to a team, but they are by no means world-class, and when you get 11 of them together it just serves to magnify the lack of technique. For example, Gerrard - nothing for Liverpool since Xabi Alonso left.

Since 2002 we've had basically the same core players (the much vaunted and overrated Golden Generation) and they've failed in every major tournament to meet expectations, and even failed to qualify at all for one. And all this under 3 different managers. What's the one constant? The same core players. What does that say? They just really aren't that good. This World Cup we've beaten one team out of 4 - and they were the smallest nation at the tournament. I appreciate Capello isn't blameless, but after 3 managerial changes you've got to start looking at the players surely?

Time to bin Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Barry, Joe Cole, Upson, James, Heskey, Ferdinand etc. Write off the next Euros and World Cup, build for 2016. Get right back to basics at the grass roots level - get another 4000 coaches trained up to UEFA A Licence standard and get them into schools coaching kids from the age of 5 in the way Spain have. No competitive games until the age of 10 - just work with the ball and training games, on small pitches. Futsal in schools. Get FA delegations to Spain (in particular Barcelona), and to Germany to study in every detail how they operate with the aim of replicating it. Funding to get more and better qualified coaches right through the football pyramid.

The more difficult part but I think no less important is to reduce and limit the number of foreigners in the Premier League. Sadly, this is likely to be a losing battle as the Premier League really couldn't care less about the national team - they will view any controls as detrimental to their 'product' - and in football these days the money men rule. However this is vital if we are to see young, English players getting a decent chance to gain experience and make their mark.

I do think he has a point regarding tiredness. People cite Kuyt/Tevez as reasons why this cannot be the case, but I believe they are more the exception than the rule. Tevez is always a bundle of energy.

Not many of the other premiership players have made an impact. Many of them didn't even make it through injuries.

Maybe we don't play more games, but could it be the way that we play that burns our players out. It doesn't make for a great spectacle. I don't know how this could be remedied. Maybe UEFA coaching at a young age would make a difference over time.

Just to clarify, I don't think this excuses our performance, just looking for reasons.

I think we need to forget this expensive foreign coach nonsense and go for an Englishman. Capello's not there because he loves England, he's there for the dosh. That's gotta be a bad example for a kick-off.

I bet he could get better/similar dosh as a club manager in Spain or Italy. Capello wanted to coach England. He put his hand up and said "I'm ready for the challenge and would like the opportunity."

The more difficult part but I think no less important is to reduce and limit the number of foreigners in the Premier League. Sadly, this is likely to be a losing battle as the Premier League really couldn't care less about the national team - they will view any controls as detrimental to their 'product' - and in football these days the money men rule. However this is vital if we are to see young, English players getting a decent chance to gain experience and make their mark.

Foreign means non-EU. The government cannot stop EU workers coming to the UK. The probable reason why that 5+6 (or whatever it was) rule was dropped was likely to have been because of that.

As much as we would like to blame the Prem, they cannot do anything about stopping non-English EU players coming. That is, ultimately, down to the clubs. Rovers seem to have been bringing in more than their fair share of non-British players in recent years. Sold...Warnock, Derbyshire, Gallagher, Bentley etc. Ultimately, English players cost far more than foreign players of the same quality. Look at the prices being commanded by the likes of Lescott and Milner!

Get FA delegations to Spain (in particular Barcelona), and to Germany to study in every detail how they operate with the aim of replicating it. Funding to get more and better qualified coaches right through the football pyramid.

I think the model we should really be looking at is that of the Netherlands.

A production line of talent despite only having a 1/5 of the population of England.

I do think he has a point regarding tiredness. People cite Kuyt/Tevez as reasons why this cannot be the case, but I believe they are more the exception than the rule. Tevez is always a bundle of energy.

Not many of the other premiership players have made an impact. Many of them didn't even make it through injuries.

Maybe we don't play more games, but could it be the way that we play that burns our players out. It doesn't make for a great spectacle. I don't know how this could be remedied. Maybe UEFA coaching at a young age would make a difference over time.

Just to clarify, I don't think this excuses our performance, just looking for reasons.

You only think Premierleague players get tired then? La Liga must be a walk in the park. My point was Diego Forlan has played 55 games for Atletico Madrid this season and now is hugely contributing to Uruguay's march into the quarter finals. As you point out, same can be said about Tevez, Kuyt and any number of players performing well at the world cup.

As for the England players NOT underperforming? Give me a break. This whole "we're clearly not good enough" bandwagon is now becoming as bad as the "we're gonna win the cup" one that everyone was on before the tournament.

I didn't expect us to win it for one second but I did expect us (that's the players and manager) to perform much better than we did.

Foreign means non-EU. The government cannot stop EU workers coming to the UK. The probable reason why that 5+6 (or whatever it was) rule was dropped was likely to have been because of that.

As much as we would like to blame the Prem, they cannot do anything about stopping non-English EU players coming. That is, ultimately, down to the clubs. Rovers seem to have been bringing in more than their fair share of non-British players in recent years. Sold...Warnock, Derbyshire, Gallagher, Bentley etc. Ultimately, English players cost far more than foreign players of the same quality. Look at the prices being commanded by the likes of Lescott and Milner!

I think the model we should really be looking at is that of the Netherlands.

A production line of talent despite only having a 1/5 of the population of England.

Perhaps the best way forward would be to go to france, holland, brazil, spain, italy and so on and take all the best points and put them together.

About the Blackberry Message he sent to all his friends! About him "hating England and all English people".

If anyone has seen the morning papers they'll realise why I said from the outset that I don't give a toss about England these days.

Talk about not caring, having no pride and no passion. They’re so far out of tune with the average man in the street its disgusting.

They’re a national disgrace.

You only think Premierleague players get tired then? La Liga must be a walk in the park. My point was Diego Forlan has played 55 games for Atletico Madrid this season and now is hugely contributing to Uruguay's march into the quarter finals. As you point out, same can be said about Tevez, Kuyt and any number of players performing well at the world cup.

As for the England players NOT underperforming? Give me a break. This whole "we're clearly not good enough" bandwagon is now becoming as bad as the "we're gonna win the cup" one that everyone was on before the tournament.

I didn't expect us to win it for one second but I did expect us (that's the players and manager) to perform much better than we did.

I think every man and his dog knows that the Premiership is faster paced and more combative than any other major league in the world, so using Forlan as an example didn't really counter my argument.

I agree, I think he went too far in his discipline.

But, remember 2006. Everybody complaining about Sven's lax attitude with the WAGs and everything. Yet now we are complaining about Capello for being too strict.

When will the players be blamed? I have watched Terry, Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard fail many more times than I have seen Capello fail. That is why I am willing to give him another chance (and it won't cost us anything; age of austerity and all that).

Exactly.

Exactly.

It shouldn't have to be one extreme or the other though. when you first come in you need to lay down the law and you can because it's usually only 4 or 5 days together. By the time you get to a tournament you should know your players well enough to know when and in what areas you can give them a bit of leeway and when you have to lay down the law. Fight the battles you can win - no WAGS circus for example - relax over the ones you can't - i pods or whatever it was they wanted in that line. That way you seem reasonable and the restrictions you do impose have a far better chance of getting player goodwill and approval.

Archived