BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Capello'S Future

tcj_jones

Actually, yes it is his fault. Why did he choose Green and James, who finished 17th and 20th in the premiership, and not Robinson and Hart, both of who were vital for their sides finishing in the top 10? Did they not face the same challenges, and did not Hart and Robinson prove themselves to everyone watching (except Capello) time and time again they were England's best? And yet, his 4 million a year decision is still to start with Green. How did that pay off?

He said he would not pick injured players at the World Cup. Yet he took Barry, who could barely get himself fit for the 2nd game, and then went on to make a clown out of himself unable to stop a ball or make the simplest of passes.

Rooney was off pace, but then what is the point of training if Capello can't see that? I find it hard to believe that Rooney is in perfect condition in training but suddenly decides to play like crap in the actual matches. Capello said he would not be afraid to drop the big names, yet Lampard and Rooney played every game while hardly doing a thing right.

Capello's complete tactical ineptitude, embarrassing decisions, and scandalous refusal to admit his mistakes should not be hidden under the mount of the players' shortcomings, as high as that mount may be.

Because Robbo has never made idiotic mistakes, right?

Hart was inexperienced, Robbo had a poor first half to the season and a better second half - there's not exactly an outstanding English goalkeeping candidate out there is there?

The error that Green made could not be accounted for. You could pick a 16 year old non league keeper and not expect him to make an error like that. The error that Green made is down to Robert Green and noone else. And he only started with Green because James was injured, and he gave a decent enough account of himself.

Barry was poor but how many holding midfielders do England have? Owen Hargreaves on his day but guess what - he's injured. No matter what system England played we wouldve needed a holding midfielder.

Every time you post about football something stupid happens.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because Robbo has never made idiotic mistakes, right?

Hart was inexperienced, Robbo had a poor first half to the season and a better second half - there's not exactly an outstanding English goalkeeping candidate out there is there?

The error that Green made could not be accounted for. You could pick a 16 year old non league keeper and not expect him to make an error like that. The error that Green made is down to Robert Green and noone else. And he only started with Green because James was injured, and he gave a decent enough account of himself.

Barry was poor but how many holding midfielders do England have? Owen Hargreaves on his day but guess what - he's injured. No matter what system England played we wouldve needed a holding midfielder.

Every time you post about football something stupid happens.

What about Capello saying he'll only pick in-form players don't you understand? Robinson's mistake was what? 3 years ago? He had a solid season for Rovers last term, and was much, much better than Green, who was at best average, and at times abysmal (like in the game vs Rovers)

"Hart is inexperienced" - this is such a dismissive, thoughtless statement I don't know where to start. A reserve keeper for Norwich City who has never played in the Premiership is "inexperienced". Hart has faced Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, etc, and done very well. He has been praised by every analyst. He has been solid, and ready and eager to play. What more do you want? Another 10 years before he can be given a chance? The Algerian keeper that played vs England also started for the first time for his country, and he plays for an average Bulgarian club. I didn't see him panic or embarrass himself. So what was such an unconquerable barrier for Hart?

No alternatives to an injured, out of form Barry? How about Carrick? Not a world star exactly, but at least he can do something useful. In fact anyone that was actually not injured would have been better. Huddlestone, you name it.

And come on, since you think I only say stupid things, address the rest of my post. Gerrard on the left, Lampard, Rooney, Lennon, Heskey, etc. I want an explanation for each and every one. Finish what you started and lets see how far you'll get.

What about Capello saying he'll only pick in-form players don't you understand? Robinson's mistake was what? 3 years ago? He had a solid season for Rovers last term, and was much, much better than Green, who was at best average, and at times abysmal (like in the game vs Rovers)

"Hart is inexperienced" - this is such a dismissive, thoughtless statement I don't know where to start. A reserve keeper for Norwich City who has never played in the Premiership is "inexperienced". Hart has faced Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, etc, and done very well. He has been praised by every analyst. He has been solid, and ready and eager to play. What more do you want? Another 10 years before he can be given a chance? The Algerian keeper that played vs England also started for the first time for his country, and he plays for an average Bulgarian club. I didn't see him panic or embarrass himself. So what was such an unconquerable barrier for Hart?

No alternatives to an injured, out of form Barry? How about Carrick? Not a world star exactly, but at least he can do something useful. In fact anyone that was actually not injured would have been better. Huddlestone, you name it.

And come on, since you think I only say stupid things, address the rest of my post. Gerrard on the left, Lampard, Rooney, Lennon, Heskey, etc. I want an explanation for each and every one. Finish what you started and lets see how far you'll get.

Rob Green had always done well when playing for England before and once more, that mistake he made against the US was in no way Capello's fault. Had he made a series of poor errors then a case could be made, but his was one freak awful once in a career type error. It was just unlucky it had to happen at that point.

Why should I provide an explanation for every single one when I have accepted that Capello was partly at fault and did make tactical errors? However the fault also lies with the players who have been producing sub par performances for at least the last six years. The last time we looked half decent in a tournament was Euro 2004. This time round they missed basic passes, made simple defensive errors, fluffed easy chances (Rooney should have put away that one vs Slovenia).

If Capello is such a bad manager then why has got such a fantastic track record? If he's so clueless about tactics and incapable of doing a job for England than why has he got so many honours under his belt? All your posts are ridiculous kneejerk reactions and look for someone or something to blame. The malaise affecting the English national team has been going on for far longer than Capello has been in charge and there is not a single person or even group of people you can attribute the majority of the blame to. Due to his previous track record both with the England team and over his career he deserves another chance to show us what we know he's well capable of achieving.

Rob Green had always done well when playing for England before and once more, that mistake he made against the US was in no way Capello's fault. Had he made a series of poor errors then a case could be made, but his was one freak awful once in a career type error. It was just unlucky it had to happen at that point.

Why should I provide an explanation for every single one when I have accepted that Capello was partly at fault and did make tactical errors? However the fault also lies with the players who have been producing sub par performances for at least the last six years. The last time we looked half decent in a tournament was Euro 2004. This time round they missed basic passes, made simple defensive errors, fluffed easy chances (Rooney should have put away that one vs Slovenia).

If Capello is such a bad manager then why has got such a fantastic track record? If he's so clueless about tactics and incapable of doing a job for England than why has he got so many honours under his belt? All your posts are ridiculous kneejerk reactions and look for someone or something to blame. The malaise affecting the English national team has been going on for far longer than Capello has been in charge and there is not a single person or even group of people you can attribute the majority of the blame to. Due to his previous track record both with the England team and over his career he deserves another chance to show us what we know he's well capable of achieving.

Because every one of my points are reasons why Capello failed so miserably. His track record means nothing if he's going to play such formations, start with Heskey etc - I mean it's insane. What, Lippi and Domenech weren't highly accomplished managers themselves? Yet they not only got the boot, they admitted they were the reason for the failure of their team. So why is Capello immune to that?

Add to that the fact that Capello has already said England don't have good youngsters, and so he'll mostly stick with the same squad. His titles in Serie A won't save England in any way from future failure, just like they didn't save them at this world cup. This is a whole different ballgame, and he has failed just as badly as the players.

Rob Green has always been error prone and in fact is top of the list of players making goal-conceding errors in the Prem last season apparently. He was a disaster waiting to happen.

An un-named England player has said they were exhausted by Capello's training regime. Really? Is that possible? Seriously?

My guess is that the reason for Capello being re-appointed so quickly is they realised the players screwed up totally for non-professional reasons and by keeping Capello in post, they had the best chance of keeping a lid on things.

Sooner or later, the FA are going to realise that keeping promising young England players out of the clutches of certain "big" clubs will benefit England. There are few enough good England youngsters without a succession of talent being wasted at City, Bentley failing at Spurs and so on.

Capello points out that the Germans (and the French for that matter) are far more pragmatic about who can play for the national team.

Rob Green has always been error prone and in fact is top of the list of players making goal-conceding errors in the Prem last season apparently. He was a disaster waiting to happen.

An un-named England player has said they were exhausted by Capello's training regime. Really? Is that possible? Seriously?

My guess is that the reason for Capello being re-appointed so quickly is they realised the players screwed up totally for non-professional reasons and by keeping Capello in post, they had the best chance of keeping a lid on things.

Sooner or later, the FA are going to realise that keeping promising young England players out of the clutches of certain "big" clubs will benefit England. There are few enough good England youngsters without a succession of talent being wasted at City, Bentley failing at Spurs and so on.

Capello points out that the Germans (and the French for that matter) are far more pragmatic about who can play for the national team.

Rob Green is in no way an International goalkeeper, if he deserves a second chance then so does Robbo. But anyway the way forward in that area is clear, Capello should call Hart and say you need to be playing, no matter where that is. Its his time, bring back Robbo as back-up along with James and put Green exactly where he belongs.

The rumours of the split in the camp are clear and not going away, it would make sense that if what is rumoured to have gone, would have incensed the ex captain. If it is true then for me its a failing of the manager to deal with the situation and perhaps, he shouldn't have been made captain in the first place after Rio withdrew. But had he not been made captain then that would have pretty much confirmed them.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on Capello is the difference of him on the sidelines. During qualifying he sat there with his notebook, being pragmatic and analysing the game. However at the world cup he was seen more than once barking and shouting, stomping round and the such. Perhaps he became to emotionally involved during the games, as when that happens you don't see the game clearly and make mistakes as your too involved.

I'm intriqued by your comment about the international and yes it most certainly is possible, but also consider that once you start thinking I'm tired, this is to much and so on, then generally it becomes that. I wonder how mentally fit and prepared the players where? Readiness to train is a strong area of research at present, however its not clear on the best method as yet.

At the end of the day I wouldn't have any issue with nationalised players turning out for Scotland ala Driver. It is no longer Britain, Spain and so on but the EU, it wouldn't be a bad idea and Arteta would be a good player to start with. Alumina is no better than Hart or even Robbo and James, I wonder if Capello can persuade him and how people would feel about it?

:rover: was getting told last night that the ###### is about to hit the fan,apparentley gerrard has been misbehaving and it drove a wedge between the england team.fa have a gagging order for 2 weeks before the story hits the papers :mellow::brfcsmilie:

If we're to look to the future now that we've exited the World Cup, then his first port of call should be to call up Ashley Young and Adam Johnson.

There are one or two youngsters good enough out there, but my main worry about them is will they get games at club level. Obviously the two you mention will, but Johnson could become a sub if they get all there reported targets. Wilshire I hope goes on loan again for the same reason, Hart another. This is where the european countries really do well, Kroo's not yet ready for Bayern but loaned out to get games, spain, Italy as well do the same. England needs to embrace the loan system more, for me.

Apologies if this has already been posted but the Guardian's list of stars for 2014 includes Phil Jones.

If Jones can maintain his level of performance from last season I can see him beinga starter for Rovers by the end of the season.

There are one or two youngsters good enough out there, but my main worry about them is will they get games at club level. Obviously the two you mention will, but Johnson could become a sub if they get all there reported targets. Wilshire I hope goes on loan again for the same reason, Hart another. This is where the european countries really do well, Kroo's not yet ready for Bayern but loaned out to get games, spain, Italy as well do the same. England needs to embrace the loan system more, for me.

If Jones can maintain his level of performance from last season I can see him beinga starter for Rovers by the end of the season.

If we didn't have one of the best defenders of the World Cup in Nelsen alongside Samba already I think he'd be a deserved starter for the opening game, especially given the sides he did the business against last season. As it is, it's going to be hard dropping either of them but given Nelsen's regular injuries and Samba's occasional suspensions it won't be long before Jones gets a run in the side. Hopefully Hanley will get a good few games too.

The future of English football really is bleak. Over the past four years, we've had an extremely talented collection of players who have all performed consistently well in the world's best teams and who have mostly reached their peak footballing age. However, they have consistently under-performed on the national level.

While we will be getting rid of these perennial underachievers, there aren't really any players coming through to take their place. Rooney should be hitting his peak in 2014 but, other than that, the only names who are really breaking through, showing promise, or playing consistently well for their clubs are Hart, Lennon, Johnson, Young, Milner, Kieron Gibbs, and Wilshire. But none of them really look like they'll make it to the same level as Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham etc.

If we didn't have one of the best defenders of the World Cup in Nelsen alongside Samba already I think he'd be a deserved starter for the opening game, especially given the sides he did the business against last season. As it is, it's going to be hard dropping either of them but given Nelsen's regular injuries and Samba's occasional suspensions it won't be long before Jones gets a run in the side. Hopefully Hanley will get a good few games too.

Have to agree, I also would be surprised to see Jones start the season, Nelsen did very well and hopefully he can carry that into the new season. He will most definitely get his chance (Jones) and hopefully he carries on in the same mould as last season.

On Hanley, I thought he did OK against Villa but I wonder whether he would be better off on loan for the first part of next season. If Samba & Nelsen where to be out at the same time I wouldn't be confident of seeing the pair of them in the middle and suspect Sam would shift Givet back should that scenario arise. If we sent him out to the championship on a 24 hour call-back, it might be better for his long term development. I also wonder whether Blackpool maybe interested??

The future of English football really is bleak. Over the past four years, we've had an extremely talented collection of players who have all performed consistently well in the world's best teams and who have mostly reached their peak footballing age. However, they have consistently under-performed on the national level.

While we will be getting rid of these perennial underachievers, there aren't really any players coming through to take their place. Rooney should be hitting his peak in 2014 but, other than that, the only names who are really breaking through, showing promise, or playing consistently well for their clubs are Hart, Lennon, Johnson, Young, Milner, Kieron Gibbs, and Wilshire. But none of them really look like they'll make it to the same level as Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham etc.

I think it's almost impossible to predict what's going to happen in 2014.

The majority of the current "Golden Generation" will either be too old or be reduced to playing sub roles. However, though they're talented they've had repeated failures at international level - will we be losing that much or will we finally have a chance to shed the deadwood?

Look at this German side - where were the likes of Mesut Ozil, Thomas Mueller and Sami Khedira 4 years ago? Players like Lahm and Schweinsteiger have gone from being good international standard players to being truly world class over the last four years.

In Hart we have someone who may finally be our first long term goalkeeper since Seaman, there's the likes of Jones, Mancienne, Smalling, Gibbs and Taylor in defence, Rodwell, Gosling, Sears, Muamba, Wilshere and Delph in midfield, and Carroll, Delfouneso and Sturridge up front. They don't need to be playing regular first team football now to be effective players for England in four years' time; so long as it starts happening some time in the next two years it'll be fine.

Also consider that Glenn Johnson, Dawson, Lennon, Milner, Young, Rooney, Baines, Cahill, Downing, Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Walcott, Agbonlahor and Darren Bent will all be in their prime come next World Cup and will likely be better than they are now and the future isn't all doom and gloom.

Yes a lot, probably at least half of that first group will not make the grade, however if a few of them do, complement a good few of the second group who should form the core of our Euro squad IMO, add in a few others from this years' batch like Ashley Cole and Gerrard who'll be experienced old heads plus a good few who likely won't even be on the radar right now and the future isn't that bleak. We may well flatter to decieve again but even give me a tournament like World Cup 2002 when we were genuinely one of the best teams on show and that'll be enough for me.

You are right about Michael, but Eddie wasn't on about him. He'll be lucky if he has a professional career let alone play for England, he's got a lot of personal issues.

Dunga...success?

I'd go for Shearer before Beckham.

Maradonna success? :lol:

I'd go for a proper football manager before the pair of them. Neither of those two should be anywhere near the England job until they've proved they can cut it at club level. And imo that won't happen.

Here's one possible hypothetical 2014 line-up, granted it will almost certainly be very different from this but:

======================Hart===================

===Richards/Johnson===Smalling===Dawson=====Gibbs/A. Cole

==========Rodwell=======Gerrard==============

===Young==========Wilshere=========Walcott==

==================Rooney=====================

There's plenty of potential in that lineup for sure.

I'd like to see Rodwell kick on this year. He's a very good player. My friend is an Everton fan and she raves about him.

A great quote from www.football365.com

"Seeing the way Terry played against Germany, if I was Terry I wouldn't be able to go back to my country" - Argentina defender Martin 'Miaow' Demichelis.

Judging by yesterday's performance Martin should perhaps seek to retract that statement.

This is the most sensible thing to come out a players mouth since Stan Matthews announced his retirement. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/04/joe-cole-england-world-cup

We are a kick and rush nation, no doubt about it.

Watch any English game from the parks to International football they are basically all the same. Always remember Glen Hoddle who was one player who had a different approach to your standard Tommy footballer and look how he was snubbed and subbed sometimes.

Apologies if this has already been posted but the Guardian's list of stars for 2014 includes Phil Jones.

The lads not a regular for his club, yet hes seen as a International player, as a nation we must be struggling.

A great quote from www.football365.com

"Seeing the way Terry played against Germany, if I was Terry I wouldn't be able to go back to my country" - Argentina defender Martin 'Miaow' Demichelis.

It is a great quote. Especially after how Demichelia played against Argentina himself.

Guess Buenos Aires is now off limits for him?

Here's one possible hypothetical 2014 line-up, granted it will almost certainly be very different from this but:

======================Hart===================

===Richards/Johnson===Smalling===Dawson=====Gibbs/A. Cole

==========Rodwell=======Gerrard==============

===Young==========Wilshere=========Walcott==

==================Rooney=====================

There's plenty of potential in that lineup for sure.

Gerrards will be a busted flush by then. Milner in for him.

Gerrards will be a busted flush by then. Milner in for him.

I think if he's put into a defensive/holding role where he's just concentrating on tackling and basic distribution he could work well in his later years, plus we'll need some experience in the side. I don't think Milner would work so well in the holding role.

The lads not a regular for his club, yet hes seen as a International player, as a nation we must be struggling.

It's a potential team for 2014, he doesn't need to be playing for his club regularly now to be seen as a potential England contender in 4 years' time.

I take your point but the fact that he's played for England U19's must be enough of a sign for some. I'm sure he'll be considered for the U21's before long. Where else would reporters look for rising stars?

Anyway maybe if you asked Drogba and Anelka they might give you a pointer as to his abilities. Berbatov too come to think about it. :rover:

Archived