BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with jim regarding Pedersen. He is one of the first names on the team sheet as far as I am concerned.

Albeit v 2nd / 3rd rate opposition and accepting that this was a squad outing MGP would have been my MoM last night. He hardly put a foot wrong.

Just showed the goals on SSN. Beautiful cross from Pedersen to set up Diouf's third.

Did it show the very similar but much much easier one that he missed? :o

Diouf- Took all his goals well, showed pace and strength but could do with keeping onside more.

I think he's used to passes being played through quicker. Once or twice he made superbly timed runs but was let down by our midfielders not anticipating his runs and delaying the through ball until he'd run offside. I should think that situation will improve as the other players tune into his game. Rem we haven't had any players who need that type of service since Bellamy was here.

Think Grella made a huge difference too, he actually looks for a short pass which none of our other deep lying midfielders do.

As I've said before Grella is a very good player if a little slow to be really top drawer. But we all know the really major down side to him..... never mind what he's on per week every appearence must cost us about 200k in wages.

That isn't the case at all, it's horses for courses, we played very open tonight- it was Norwich.

Arsenal we will play a more physical, direct game as they are the superior 'footballing' team.

Not rocket science!

We dare not leave room around the back against that lot thats for sure. I don't need a tardis to say with confidence that Sat is sure to see us play deeper, keep men behind the ball and try to do em with set pieces.

We'll play that way against every Premier League team unfortunately. Why can't we play tonight's type of football against the lesser teams, particularly at home?

How poor is your memory? Like last season we will play more expansive and adventurous football.... just as soon as we grind our way past 40 points.

We showed signs of it against Birmingham, but sure enough the habit took over and we resorted to lumping it forward time and time again.

Thats cos Birmingham reminded us how effective it can be. I don't go on Brums mboard but I'd bet no one will be complaining on there about the build up for their first goal this week.

Grella sprayed some great balls to tbe flanks then at one stage played the worst ball in the history of football, a random hoof from halfway.

Agree on emerton being poor, one instance was linganzi and hoilett played a beautiful overlapping move then junior rolled it across the box and emerton tried a silly flick instead of taking a touch.

Its funny sitting next to the dugout listening to what the managers have to say, Neil Mc likes to swear.

Emerton's flicks and stupid back heels would make a bloody saint swear.

I watched the highlights, forget Diouf and Mgp, Mark Bunn was solid. I would hope that is the end of Jason Brown, as i would think Franky would be 3rd choice.

Solid Iceman? He made one excellent save granted but he can't kick the ball out of his shadow.

Thats cos Birmingham reminded us how effective it can be. I don't go on Brums mboard but I'd bet no one will be complaining on there about the build up for their first goal this week.

You know as well as I do that if your playing against a player who attacks you with the ball and always tries the same thing, he will not have success. Maybe the first time, but after that if your a semi decent player you'll win the ball.

When we were chasing the game, we did about 90% of the time play a direct game. If we had kept the ball and moved it around we could have drawn them out and made them think about what we were going to do. If you want the opposition to make mistakes you need them to have a decision to make, doing the same thing repeatedly does not mean he has a choice to make and so he most likely won't make the mistake that you need him to.

I don't think there were any boo's aimed at Diouf last night but there was at the Everton game. I had a quiet word with the lad next to me who was booing, he said 'Diouf is Manc scum' and that he deserved to be booed, I just explained that whilst he is wearing our shirt he is one of us so get behind him!

That's appalling but it doesn't suprise me one bit.

You know as well as I do that if your playing against a player who attacks you with the ball and always tries the same thing, he will not have success. Maybe the first time, but after that if your a semi decent player you'll win the ball.

When we were chasing the game, we did about 90% of the time play a direct game. If we had kept the ball and moved it around we could have drawn them out and made them think about what we were going to do. If you want the opposition to make mistakes you need them to have a decision to make, doing the same thing repeatedly does not mean he has a choice to make and so he most likely won't make the mistake that you need him to.

Theories, theories, theories. I'll tell you what it is Maj, I've seen every team in the Prem and I mean every team resorting to a long ball game if they are losing in the closing stages of a match.

Theories, theories, theories. I'll tell you what it is Maj, I've seen every team in the Prem and I mean every team resorting to a long ball game if they are losing in the closing stages of a match.

Theory eh, that comes straight from the mouth of John Peacock who I had the pleasure of meeting on Monday in Scunny. Not every team in the league does as you say either.

Theory eh, that comes straight from the mouth of John Peacock who I had the pleasure of meeting on Monday in Scunny. Not every team in the league does as you say either.

They all do it.... even the Arsenal.

btw John Peacock :huh: .... did you mention my name to him?

They all do it.... even the Arsenal.

btw John Peacock :huh: .... did you mention my name to him?

No can't say I did, I wanted to make a positive impression. :P

Please tell me then since we starting playing it forward as we did how many good goal scoring opportunities did we create doing it????

Yes teams do play the direct ball when chasing the game, but not at every opportunity as we did, its bread and butter for defenders.

I watched the highlights, forget Diouf and Mgp, Mark Bunn was solid. I would hope that is the end of Jason Brown, as i would think Franky would be 3rd choice.

If we get Popov in, then i would be happy with Benjani.

He had a good game but he wasn't solid.

He had next to nothing to do and spooned an easy save. He's not first team quality....yet.

No can't say I did, I wanted to make a positive impression. :P

Please tell me then since we starting playing it forward as we did how many good goal scoring opportunities did we create doing it????

Yes teams do play the direct ball when chasing the game, but not at every opportunity as we did, its bread and butter for defenders.

For me it's losing possession that is annoying. Hoofing it forward aimlessly just puts us under pressure. It ends up with Niko, who does a pretty decent job of holding the ball up, but he us surrounded by 3 or 4 opposition players.

If we were actually effective with the long ball game then it wouldn't be so bad. Getting the ball forward early, then playing football around the opponents penalty box wound also be fine with me. Whenever a long ball is cleared, rather than get the ball down and try and create a chance, more often than not the ball is just knocked back into the 'mixer' hoping it'll end up at someones feet or head for a chance. It's all percentage football.

Also I think with good Dioufs pace, we've got to aim the get the ball into midfield and play through balls for him to run on to. The aimless punts forward aren't going to bring the best of him. We finally have a player with real pace and we need to use it best we can.

Saying that, if this 'style' of play keeps us in this league, then that's the main thing. Maybe if/when the takeover happen, we can get a better quality midfield and play some nicer stuff. We are capable if it and it was nice to see the ball on the floor a lot more last night. That's where the grass is, not amongst the clouds ;)

Seems like the fans are split on Hoilett's performance. Some say he picked up in the second half and some are saying he had a stinker. What was his main position? I'm not sure if he can play as an out and out striker, but as a right winger/attacking midfielder his pace would be put to better use. I'm of the opinion that he should given as many games as possible to develop his technique - the same way Aaron Lennon had to frustrate Spurs fans until his final product improved. I'd play him in every cup game, when fit and available.

Can anyone who actually went confirm that the noises after Mame scored were "Diooooouf" rather than boos? Some idiot United fan on Twitter is claiming we're ungrateful and racist. They claim they were told by Rovers fans that they were boos.

Without a doubt it was Diouf, Diouf, Diouf.

Even the cave dwelling, inbred and undeniable racist who was sadly sat in front of me was saying "Diouf, Diouf, Diouf."

Speaking of racist, what is the 'Samba, Black Man' song all about?

Seems like the fans are split on Hoilett's performance. Some say he picked up in the second half and some are saying he had a stinker. What was his main position? I'm not sure if he can play as an out and out striker, but as a right winger/attacking midfielder his pace would be put to better use. I'm of the opinion that he should given as many games as possible to develop his technique - the same way Aaron Lennon had to frustrate Spurs fans until his final product improved. I'd play him in every cup game, when fit and available.

I want to see him run at players/with the ball as often as possible, I really like the look of him when he does this.

Even the cave dwelling, inbred and undeniable racist who was sadly sat in front of me was saying "Diouf, Diouf, Diouf."

...and there goes another thread.

You were behind me BPF? :lol:

I think the Samba black man song originated from our friends in NO1.

Seems like the fans are split on Hoilett's performance. Some say he picked up in the second half and some are saying he had a stinker. What was his main position?

Mostly wandering round like a headless chicken, interspersed with brief moments of promise, as far as I could see. I think he picked up in the second half in the sense that it would be difficult to be any worse than in the first.

No wonder the term 'racism' seems to be losing all meaning. I thought it was about discriminating against someone due to something that doesn't matter- ie skin colour instead of what does- character flaws.

Samba is a very popular figure and club captain.

Tell me how mentioning someones race is now racist?

Samba himself loves the chant, he was spotted singing along on last seasons pre season tour.

No wonder the term 'racism' seems to be losing all meaning. I thought it was about discriminating against someone due to something that doesn't matter- ie skin colour instead of what does- character flaws.

Samba is a very popular figure and club captain.

Tell me how mentioning someones race is now racist?

Samba himself loves the chant, he was spotted singing along on last seasons pre season tour.

Does he also love the gollywog that was being chucked around in pre-season with a mini samba shirt on?

That reminds me of 'The Office'

David Brent telling a racist joke but it doesn't matter because the black guy in the office doesn't care.

All I'm saying is that it is a little strange that in today's football which is all about everybody being equal and outlawing racism and homophobia, we have a song which identifies our captain as a 'big black man'. If we signed a Jewish player, could we sing 'Stein, big Jew Boy!'

You were behind me BPF? :lol:

I think the Samba black man song originated from our friends in NO1.

Haha, you would know if I was behind you, I'd have offered you another Budgie :lol:

The guy in front of me last night particularly enjoyed singing that song last night, he made sure to say the word 'black' with all his heart. He even had a go at shouting 'Diouf, Black man!' but it seemed to fall on deaf ears...

So should we stop singing it?

That's up to you. Personally I've never sang it and I am unlikely to ever do so. I'm not in the habit of telling people what to do, the point I'm making is that it just feels like a throwback to an earlier time. It reminds me of a song you would hear on an away cup game to a lower league team.

I went to a Gillingham Cup Game years ago and I remember hearing:

"Nathan Blake, He's gay, he's black, He owns a fruit machine, Nathan Blake."

Never worked that one out...

I went to a Gillingham Cup Game years ago and I remember hearing:

"Nathan Blake, He's gay, he's black, He owns a fruit machine, Nathan Blake."

Never worked that one out...

Are you sure it wasn't a dream?

Are you sure it wasn't a dream?

Feels like it. I was young and full of optimism about the Human Race. There was only two lads singing it, stood right behind me. They seemed 'old' at the time but I bet they were mid-twenties at the most.

Maybe it shows how far the game in England has come that we are even discussing the Samba song, we all know what 'stuff from another age' sounded like.

Good point Matty.

Archived