BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Pompey

I think that you are assuming Gaydamak is still very wealthy. Now I don't a thing about his financial status but in the middle of a world wide financial crisis might it be at all possible that he is down on his uppers?

btw I seem to rem his old man might have been a weapons dealer. Can anyone add to this?

What world wide financial crisis?

Rio shares are OK

BHP Billiton shares are OK.

Aussie Bank shares are OK.

Aussie dollar at 62.5p

Almost parity with it's US counterpart.

He obviously got it totally wrong. Bad investment full stop.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time you have acknowledged there was / is a worldwide financial crisis. On the other boards according to you it's always the former government's fault.

That isn't what he and others that have the temreity to disagree with Comrade Jim say at all.

however, don't try and drag this thread down with your outlandish claims like you have on ICBINF.

First time you have acknowledged there was / is a worldwide financial crisis. On the other boards according to you it's always the former government's fault.

According to Brown (lest we forget...the best PM in history according to you) he claimed that he saved the world. Pity he didn't think it worthwhile to save us first or else we wouldn't be needing to tighten our belts so much now.

Yep, I do believe the old fella likes to sell the odd gun.

Clearly the Gaydamaks are a lovely family, albeit one with a penchant for killing.

So after the Gaydamaks, Shinawatra and the Arabs it's clear that even Robert Mugabe would have absolutely no problem sailing through the Prem's 'Fit and proper' test.

It sounds harsh but part of me wanted Pompey to go under, as a testament to other clubs who play with fire and spend above their means. I know they're already suffering for it, but this would have been a cold message to the rest of the game.

It sounds harsh but part of me wanted Pompey to go under, as a testament to other clubs who play with fire and spend above their means. I know they're already suffering for it, but this would have been a cold message to the rest of the game.

A large part of me did too. The only reason not to was how we'd feel as fans if it was Rovers. Since the fans don't have a say in who the owners are (unless they buy the club themselves) it's hardly their fault when someone gets it badly wrong.

Don't really know any Pompey fans - wonder if Tim can help. Where the Pompey fans particularly smug (i.e. more than the normal rivalry) about winning the FA Cup and Southampton being relegated, whilst they were 'in the money'?

Even in administration they forked out big wages on the likes of Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson. In such a tight and even league like the Championship they could make all the difference re promotion.

How can that be right? Massively overspent on top players, two FA Cup finals and they could in all likelyhood return to the PL paying creditors 10p in the pound.

Clubs that have cut their cloth accordingly for years must be fuming.

Even in administration they forked out big wages on the likes of Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson. In such a tight and even league like the Championship they could make all the difference re promotion.

How can that be right? Massively overspent on top players, two FA Cup finals and they could in all likelyhood return to the PL paying creditors 10p in the pound.

Clubs that have cut their cloth accordingly for years must be fuming.

Apparently the Administrator billed for one and a half million, as well.

• Backroom

And if our dear neighbours in Burnley were going down the pan, obviously no-one from this site would be on their messageboards gloating?

To be fair, anyone who did gloat over it would be a fool IMO. Derbies are part of what makes football special, and without them the game would be even more mundane than it already is. It's great to beat Burnley and worth laughing at them when they get relegated, lose or otherwise fail on the pitch... but their liquidation would only serve to cancel out a rivalry that adds to the passion of watching Rovers. I certainly wouldn't celebrate it.

Am also glad to see Pompey surviving - for all their overspending the club has suffered immensely since then and the fans have had a torrid time in the past couple of seasons. I didn't want to see them go under and am glad they'll continue, if only for the sake of the supporters.

Borrowing money is not the problem w/ clubs like Pompey. The trouble is signing checks that you can't cash in the long run. Whether that is through massive wages still on the book when a rich owner leaves, or racking up massive debts to cover other expenses...

A small bit of borrowing is not the death knell... assuming he only means a small amount of borrowing.

Well it seems Pompey have managed to get away with it in the end. Whether or not there is still more to come out of the woodwork will be seen.

But I just wanted to gauge the opinion of the situation and feelings towards Portsmouth, what has happened, what you think should have happened etc.

Personally I live near Portsmouth and have a few mates who support them and it makes me irate to see them bouncing up the championship to the point now where they are one point outside the playoffs.

I would have been happy to see them restart in the lower divisions. The punishment does not fit the crime. 10p - £1 or whatever it is.

The amount of under the table favors really gets to me. Football is a harsh world. I watch Rovers battle and grind against the odds. And Portsmouth are so happy go lucky. Careless. Reckless. And just get away with it.

Do you think the punishment fit or not?

Well it seems Pompey have managed to get away with it in the end. Whether or not there is still more to come out of the woodwork will be seen.

But I just wanted to gauge the opinion of the situation and feelings towards Portsmouth, what has happened, what you think should have happened etc.

Personally I live near Portsmouth and have a few mates who support them and it makes me irate to see them bouncing up the championship to the point now where they are one point outside the playoffs.

I would have been happy to see them restart in the lower divisions. The punishment does not fit the crime. 10p - £1 or whatever it is.

The amount of under the table favors really gets to me. Football is a harsh world. I watch Rovers battle and grind against the odds. And Portsmouth are so happy go lucky. Careless. Reckless. And just get away with it.

Do you think the punishment fit or not?

I'm not sure, if there was a way of fining the people responsible that'd be more apt. Making them start off in the lower divisions is just punishing the fans isn't it?

I'm not sure, if there was a way of fining the people responsible that'd be more apt. Making them start off in the lower divisions is just punishing the fans isn't it?

I bet the fans enjoyed winning the FA Cup. Don't remember hearing any Pompey fans in the press concerned they were over spending.

I certainly wouldn't want to see them fold but a Leeds United style double drop would have been more fitting. Plenty of other examples of clubs struggling that haven't been nearly as reckless as Pompey.

It stinks.

Spent two months in admin in the Championship- no point deduction, still splashed out big money on wages for new players.

Paying 20p in the pound to debtors and are now looking good for a swift return to the Premier League, only in football.

Archived