BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Pompey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it is a bit of last ditch brinkmanship between the owner, the administrator and Gaydamak.

Whatever happens- Pompey are the example we should keep in mind as we look to new owners- United and LFC will always find a white knight, provincial clubs are at the mercy of sharks and chancers.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Sacha-Gaydamak-Puts-Future-Of-Portsmouth-In-Jeopardy-1522.aspx

That is their press release. Not looking good for them.

Whilst I do have sympathy for the fans, it's hardly their fault, they were quite happy with the situation when everything was rosy, they were spending above thier needs, in Europe etc.

You'd hope that it would be a warning to others, but it will not be.

• Backroom

Whilst I do have sympathy for the fans, it's hardly their fault, they were quite happy with the situation when everything was rosy, they were spending above thier needs, in Europe etc.

Any set of fans would be - if it had been us in Pompey's position a few years back(and thankfully it seems Jack has done his best to safeguard against these things) I very much doubt many Rovers fans would be asking where the money was coming from or if it was sustainable. The Pompey fans put their faith in their owners, and that's seemingly been repaid ultimately by having their club taken from them. Genuinely don't understand the "they were happy when everything was good" line... of course they were, why wouldn't they have been?

Well I am really saddened to hear that. I was a temporary Pompey fan myself for about 6 months in 1954, while I was doing a course at HMS Vernon, and they had a really terrific team then. Someof the football they played was just astounding, and marvellous to watch. They had two terrific wingers in Peter Harris and "Baldy" Dale, and behind them a superb half back line. I can't be absolutely sure but I think that was one of the years that they won the English League Championship.

The atmosphere was always very good at a packed Fratton Park, and I could hardly wait for the next home game; it was always that good. So sad; and so unnecessesary. Another reminder of what happens when a genuine sport and entertainment for the masses sells it's soul to the Devil.

EDIT: This post is not meant to be a missile thrown at BRFC for wanting to sell to new owners by the way. It is just a genuine sorrowful memory of a once great club by an old man who can actually remember when football was a genuine sport and truly entertaining.

Who cares about them? The news that Potato Head and the old RFW are cosying up on telly again is far more important to real football supporters.

However there may still be hope.... Now that it's backs to the wall maybe them and the Saints might see a future in forming one proper club? ....... Hampshire United for example. ^_^

btw...... Did any of the foreign chancers whose clammy hands Pompey passsed through fund a girls choir in the cathedral one day and a nightsafe home for delinquents the next in a transparent attempt to curry favour with the locals?

Absolutely disgusting that Gaydamak can be owed money by the club he ran into the ground. If Pompey do go bust, I hope some fans take vigilante action, he's a common thief.

Of course, the club will reform in the lower leagues, but it will take them a long time to get back into the football league. Wimbledon are only just on the verge now and it seems an age since the formed from the MK Dons nonsense.

Never has there been so much money in football - well in the top flight at least. Trouble is, it's going straight into the pockets of Toure, Rooney and Co and not where it should be.

Nobody begrudges the top players a handsome wage but what they're earning is taking the mick.

In some ways, Pompey going to the wall would be a good thing as, logically and in a normal industry sector, it would prompt changes for the better. However, this is not a normal industry - it is football. The warnings will not be heeded and as long as the 'big boys' continue to rule the roost and do everything they can to get into the Champions League, things will continue as they are now.

Who next?

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Sacha-Gaydamak-Puts-Future-Of-Portsmouth-In-Jeopardy-1522.aspx

You'd hope that it would be a warning to others, but it will not be.

Don't a lot of our fans want a new owner so we can do that?

I don't think all is lost. A post from A Pompey fan within the last few minutes:

ANDREW ANDRONIKOU WAS JUST ON BBC RADIO 5...HE SAID BASICALLY WHAT THE STATEMENT SAYS...

GAYDAMAK WANTS TO REJIG THE TERMS OF HIS PART OF THE CVA AGREEMENT.

AA SAYS THEY HOPE TO GET GAYDAMAKS AND CHAINRAIS REPRESENTATIVES ROUND THE TABLE AGAIN THIS WEEKEND AND HOPES A DEAL CAN BE STRUCK.

HE SAID HE WAS MORE THAN HOPEFUL THAT THE CLUB WILL STAY TRADING IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

btw...... Did any of the foreign chancers whose clammy hands Pompey passsed through fund a girls choir in the cathedral one day and a nightsafe home for delinquents the next in a transparent attempt to curry favour with the locals?

erm.......................no.

:rolleyes:

Mods on Pompey boards are currently fending of gloating posts from all angles of the compass glorying in Portsmouth's impending demise. Much as I love football some of the pondlife it attracts makes cringe, un-f*****g-believable. T0ssers.

And if our dear neighbours in Burnley were going down the pan, obviously no-one from this site would be on their messageboards gloating?

Absolutely disgusting that Gaydamak can be owed money by the club he ran into the ground. If Pompey do go bust, I hope some fans take vigilante action, he's a common thief.

I think that you are assuming Gaydamak is still very wealthy. Now I don't a thing about his financial status but in the middle of a world wide financial crisis might it be at all possible that he is down on his uppers?

btw I seem to rem his old man might have been a weapons dealer. Can anyone add to this?

I don't think all is lost. A post from A Pompey fan within the last few minutes:

ANDREW ANDRONIKOU WAS JUST ON BBC RADIO 5...HE SAID BASICALLY WHAT THE STATEMENT SAYS...

GAYDAMAK WANTS TO REJIG THE TERMS OF HIS PART OF THE CVA AGREEMENT.

AA SAYS THEY HOPE TO GET GAYDAMAKS AND CHAINRAIS REPRESENTATIVES ROUND THE TABLE AGAIN THIS WEEKEND AND HOPES A DEAL CAN BE STRUCK.

HE SAID HE WAS MORE THAN HOPEFUL THAT THE CLUB WILL STAY TRADING IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

So instead of a swift beheading it's more likely now to be death by a thousand cuts. Same end result I guess.

but in the middle of a world wide financial crisis might it be at all possible that he is down on his uppers?

First time you have acknowledged there was / is a worldwide financial crisis. On the other boards according to you it's always the former government's fault.

Archived