BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lads. Very well deserved.

If ever a group of sportsman deserved a good drink it's these lads. They are a ruthless and professional outfit in the mould of Aussie teams of the recent past.

It was hard to remain neutral and I'm afraid I sucumbed. This means, I suppose, that I must be a bit of a glory hunter but much of it is down to some sections of the Australian media. Also some Aussie players post Perth demonstrated that they are as bad winners as Punter is a bad loser.

Thankfully Mitchell Johnson proved to be better with his gob than the ball. Premature gloating also threw up this gem. Who else should publically gloat over Jimmy Anderson's misjudged decision not to take a single when batting as night watchman at Perth? Of course, none other than that master of the quick single, take a bow Shane Watson! :lol:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/the-ashes/james-anderson-all-bubble-and-squeak-claims-shane-watson/story-fn67wv6z-1225974651511

Some more humour doing the rounds:

A bloke walks into a brothel and says: "I'm a bit kinky, how much for total humiliation?"

The madam replies $60.

"Wow, what do I get for that," he says.

She says: "A baggy green cap and an Australia shirt."

and to add balance:

Where do the England Cricketers stay when they tour South Africa?

With their parents.

Where do the England Cricketers stay when they tour South Africa?

With their parents.

Andrew Strauss's parents are English. The family moved to England when Strauss was 7 years old.

Kevin Pietersen's mother is English and he has lived in England for the past 10 years.

Matt Prior moved with his family to England when he was aged 11.

Andrew Strauss's parents are English. The family moved to England when Strauss was 7 years old.

Not according to this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jan/09/andrew-strauss-ashes-victor

He's the only one of "our" South Africans neither of whose parents is English.

Watching the celebrations why do the supporters wear football shirts for a cricket match ?

I guess it's an identification thing. Both sides in a Test Match wear, more or less, the same colour so there'd be nothing to distinguish the Barmy Army if they wore cricket "whites".

I don't think it's uncommon in Australian city centres to see ex-pats of pretty well any age, up to and including my 60+, wearing shirts that tie us to "our" clubs. For example, one day on the last time I was in Perth, I was on a bus in the city centre wearing my Worthington Cup Final polo shirt and a bloke sitting across from me saw, first of all, the rose on the badge. "Is that the red rose of the County Palatine?", he asked; but before I could reply, he said in an almost reverential tone, "No; it's the badge of Blackburn Rovers." He and his wife had emigrated from Blackburn many years previously and lived in the Margaret River area of West Australia.

Not according to this article http://www.guardian....ss-ashes-victor

He's the only one of "our" South Africans neither of whose parents is English.

Stand corrected on that one but he has lived in England since 6, Strauss's parents have settled in Bucks and he learnt most of his cricket at Radley and Durham University. You don't get much more English than those particular institutions.

(sorry)

Billy was at school this morning in the Aussie Outback and the teacher asked all the children what their fathers did for a living.

All the typical answers came out, Fireman, Policeman, Salesman, Chippy, Captain of Industry etc, but Billy was being uncharacteristically quiet and so the teacher asked him about his father.

"My father is an exotic dancer in a gay club and takes off all his clothes in front of other men. Sometimes if the offer is really good, he'll go out with a man, rent a cheap hotel room and let them sleep with him."

The teacher quickly sets the other children some work and took little Billy aside to ask him if that was really true.

"No" said Billy, "He plays cricket for Australia but I was just too embarrassed to say."

Archived