BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

Selectors out indeed.

The next test that Australia plays is in August (v Sri Lanka I think).

Can Hilditch, can Neilsen, get in Border (as selector) get Steve Waugh as coach.

Get back to basics, as Bobby Simpson did in the 80s.

Get some steel back into this side.

Having said all that, we witnessed a contest between the 4th and 5th test playing nations.

Been out there too long Dave. The undignified loser is showing. :D

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been out there too long Dave. The undignified loser is showing. :D

A bit disappointed in your reply, Al.

It's nothing to do with being here too long

There's nothing "undignified" in stating a fact.

Whilst the series is exciting from one point of view, there has been nothing special in it to date, which may typify a contest between 4th (or 3rd if SAR is right) and 5th placed test playing nations.

By that I mean, the casual elegance of a Gower or Mark Waugh, the raw power of a Truman or a West Indian attack of the 80's, the patience of a Statham or McGrath, the guile of a Warne or Murali. You never knew what was going to happen, you were kept on the edge of your seat afraid to leave, lest you missed something special.

Both sides (to me) are bland, devoid of characters. Where are the Illingworths, the Snows, even the Boycotts from England. The Merv's, The Gilchrists and Warnes for Australia?

Maybe England can pick Monty and Shazad ( I like the look of this lad, when he bowled in Tassie, he had a bit of mongrel, a snarl at the batsman about him) and get a bit back into the game.

Spin Kings thoughts.

What do our Aussie friends think?

I agree with much of Warnes analysis, but can't agree with his suggestion that the World has caught up with Australia. The Aussies have slipped back to and below the level of the top playing Test nations.

They should make Warne captain.

In the 1970's the ACB brought back Bob Simpson to lead a pack of untried youngsters. I see parallels between that situation and today, with Shane playing the role of elder statesman.

If the Aussies do get rid of Neilsen, then who would you like to see replace him? Would it be a younger recently retired star (Warne) or someone who has done their time coaching in state cricket? (directed at the aussie posters obviously!!;))

I dont actually think you guys are that far behind. There has been some confused thinking in regards to selection but mainly it is down to form of the two sets of players. England are a group of players who are all in top form (colly excepted) whereas the opposite is true of australia. If ponting, clarke etc were scoring (which they no doubt will in the future) then this would have been a very different series!

You have to learn from Englands mistakes and avoid changing the team at every opportunity!

Here's to another innings victory in Sydney!! :glare:

Ponting is 36 and his record over the past few years isn't that great. One thing is for sure, he is definitely too old to play at #3 anymore.

For most of Clarke's career he has batted at #5 or #6. His record at #4 is quite ordinary.

Paul Collingwood says this could be his last Test for England.

Weed has been a stalwart player for England and I hope he isn't axed after this series.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1343353/ASHES-2011-Paul-Collingwood-admits-Sydney-climax-final-Test.html

His fielding alone should guarantee him a spot in the England team.

He's probably got 2 more years left as a world class slipper. During that period he may regain some batting form.

Paul Collingwood says this could be his last Test for England.

Weed has been a stalwart player for England and I hope he isn't axed after this series.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1343353/ASHES-2011-Paul-Collingwood-admits-Sydney-climax-final-Test.html

I'm a big fan of Morgan as Colly's eventual replacement even at Test level. If there wasn't anything to play for I'm sure he would have got a chance in this Test.

Australia have won the toss and decided to have a bat. Left-arm spinner Michael Beer is in for the Aussies alongside fellow debutant Usman Khawaja.

Seamers conditions. Brave decision?

Working out quite well for them at the moment.

Very timely wicket. Over before lunch 55-1.

Archived