BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normal service resumed after Adelaide. Not one but two architypal England collapses. Fair play to the Aussies though, they did bowl well.

Found out something about my new compatriots - gracious losers, horrible winners. Neutrality over - C'MON ENGLAND! (In melbourne)

There really hasn't been that many big scores chased down, there has only been two over 300 since 1970 so that isn't saying much, South Africa are the best test team in the World and they had two days to bat, England are not as good as that, a lead of 400 will be enough to secure a result for Australia, anything less though and it is open for the taking.

I don't know what you mean about a split? Clarke has had a number of opportunities through grooming for captaincy but he has never really shown any ability in any form of the game.

@Dave, exactly the reason I didn't put him in there, odd we have gone from a choice of Ponting, Warne, Lehmann, Langer, Waugh, Gilchrist to Clarke and maybe Hussey?

The only other option is look at a good captain first, an allrounder like White or Hopes at 6 with the captaincy. I still think Ponting needs to go to 4, if we win this test then there is only one other person to call on and that is Brad Hodge. I know it isn't looking to the future but if we get a result then we have a chance of securing the Ashes in Melbourne so I would drop Clarke and have Hodge at 3 and Ponting at 4.

A split in the dressing room over Clarke has been well documented on Sky's cricket coverage. I think Beefy and Nass were talking about it. Channel 9 and your other media obviously haven't reported it for some reason.

The aussies were well on top today and throughly deserve to go on and win this test. However If England got a result here it would of been a bonus in my eyes. We just can't seem to handle the pace and bounce of The WACA,especially when it swings too. I'm looking forward to seeing if Mitchell Johnson can continue his good form but I doubt he will. He's the Australian Steve Harmison who is average without pace and bounce. Bring it on for the forth test! BARMY ARMY!!!!

A split in the dressing room over Clarke has been well documented on Sky's cricket coverage. I think Beefy and Nass were talking about it. Channel 9 and your other media obviously haven't reported it for some reason.

I would reckon that channel 9 are one of the most one eyed, biased braodcasters in the world. God knows how often Pietersen's dismissal was shown. Or for that matter multi angled coverage of his walk back to the pavilion! :angry:

I really don't understand about any split? I was of the opinion no one thought he was good enough to Captain, it actually surprises me you are saying he has some dressing room support.

England getting a result is more then a bonus for you guys, it would be a miracle of Lazarus proportions. 2 days to play 300 runs down with 5 wickets in hand and the whole top order out.

MCG Boxing Day toss is going to be incredibly important.

@DGS, haha, you think that by showing a replay it is bias? What did you expect them to do? He is a major wicket and it is a turning point, maybe if england didn't take so long ###### around trying to waste time they mightn't have had so many replays.

Great result for Aus, good decision by selectors to bring back Johnson, utter dire supine batting by England.

But.

If you look at Australia's scorecard, you've not sorted your batting out at all. Hussey aside, it's iffy, with only Watson and Haddin giving any support.

For England, well, Finn will be "rested" & I wouldn't be surprised to see Bresnan to come in for him & possibly Morgan for Collingwood, with Bell moving down to 5.

What's the news on Punter's hand?

Great result for Aus, good decision by selectors to bring back Johnson, utter dire supine batting by England.

But.

If you look at Australia's scorecard, you've not sorted your batting out at all. Hussey aside, it's iffy, with only Watson and Haddin giving any support.

For England, well, Finn will be "rested" & I wouldn't be surprised to see Bresnan to come in for him & possibly Morgan for Collingwood, with Bell moving down to 5.

Flops, we knew there was a problem with the aussie side.

What I didn't expect was the capitulation in the England side. After Adelaide, they would have been on a great high, and now that's been blown apart.

No one will know what the MCG strip will bring, being a drop in pitch, and it's a big oval.

I still reckon that it's down to Sydney, usually a big turner, Smith and Hauritz to feature? Hauritz has been looking good with the bat as well of late with two big hundreds.

Punter's hand? It's still attached to his arm at last reports. He's going to have to do something big in the next few weeks.

But.

Ah details Flops, one thing at a time, bowling is back on song, now they can concentrate on the getting the wooden thing in the right place ;)

I still want to see the back of Clarke, D Hussey or B Hodge have to come in for a MCG pitch they both know, Siddle gets a reprieve for the mongrel and his home turf in the next test.

I would stick with Hughes he is still every bit the prospect he was 18 months ago and should really be given as much chance to get it right.

Smith was the right selection, I would rather give a young guy like that 12 months to develop then M North. If Ponting is out which I don't think he will be and the selectors dont want D Hussey or Hodge then Usman Khawaja has to be picked.

I really don't understand about any split? I was of the opinion no one thought he was good enough to Captain, it actually surprises me you are saying he has some dressing room support.

England getting a result is more then a bonus for you guys, it would be a miracle of Lazarus proportions. 2 days to play 300 runs down with 5 wickets in hand and the whole top order out.

MCG Boxing Day toss is going to be incredibly important.

@DGS, haha, you think that by showing a replay it is bias? What did you expect them to do? He is a major wicket and it is a turning point, maybe if england didn't take so long ###### around trying to waste time they mightn't have had so many replays.

I meant before the test i quitely thought that any sort of result there(WACA)would be a bonus. Goughy also said it too on Talksport.

It's quite funny to see that you lose all your grace as soon as you get a win. Expect a better performance from Strauss and the boys at the MCG. Anderson won't be as drained as he was in Perth and I'm sure we'll have a longer batting line up with Bresnan probably coming in for Finn. Bring it on you bunch of cast off convicts! :P

I meant before the test i quitely thought that any sort of result there(WACA)would be a bonus. Goughy also said it too on Talksport.

It's quite funny to see that you lose all your grace as soon as you get a win. Expect a better performance from Strauss and the boys at the MCG. Anderson won't be as drained as he was in Perth and I'm sure we'll have a longer batting line up with Bresnan probably coming in for Finn. Bring it on you bunch of cast off convicts! :P

That's Australians for you.

But.

Don't you mean Bell will move up from 6 to 5?

As for Ponting,apparently he broke the little finger but is confident he'll play.

what? We are gracious in our win, it was a great win considering I thought we were going to go down 3-0, we have to be some what excited about it. I thought you meant a result at that point not at the start of the test considering the test was already 3 days in when you posted.

Good to see that air of superiority is just below the surfae once it gets a scratch :rolleyes:

Bring it on you bunch of cast off convicts! :P

Careful now, you'll be upsetting the locals - not that there are any on here.

England should resist the temptation to make changes to the team. It's been suggested Bell and Collingwood should swap places which is probably right based on current form but I'd stick with the rest.

I'll say it again but England paid dearly for allowing Anderson to come home. At 69-5 in the first innings we should have bowled them out for sub-200 but our premier bowler was knackered.

Careful now, you'll be upsetting the locals - not that there are any on here.

England should resist the temptation to make changes to the team. It's been suggested Bell and Collingwood should swap places which is probably right based on current form but I'd stick with the rest.

I'll say it again but England paid dearly for allowing Anderson to come home. At 69-5 in the first innings we should have bowled them out for sub-200 but our premier bowler was knackered.

Don't worry about upsetting the locals. They can't talk enough about cricket today. The radio, papers and TV is full of it. Funnily enough it's top of the agenda. How different it was only a week or so ago following their Adelaide capitulation. Ah the fickle Australians. :lol:

Fingers crossed that England prevail in the end as my parents are flying over for New Year and we've got tickets for the Sydney Test. The thought of sitting at the SCG while the Aussie celebrate doesn't bare thinking about.

Stiff side from what we're hearing here. But Shazad ain't a bad replacement. Would expect to see Bresnan for Finn as well. Not ideal, but that's why they're there.

Swanny won't be as rubbish at the MCG either.

Any idea about Punter's finger?

Flops, the latest news has both Anderson and Finn being fit. You'll be hoping that Anderson doesn't break down, side strains can be difficult to sort out.

I liked the look of Shazad, when he bowled in Hobart he looked aggressive and put it to the batsmen.

Ponting expects to be OK.

There are some misgivings about the drop in pitch, though Cook says it's all part and parcel of touring.

I note the convicts are up to their usual tricks of doctoring the pitch for the next Test.

Maybe we're too gentlemanly at times but I'm pleased England would never stoop so low.

Cook states England also doctor the pitch:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/england-doctors-pitches-cook-20101221-193wr.html

Perhaps you should have a chat with the England vice captain, to let him know such statements dont suit your agenda.

Archived